Horde Nights A18, your experience so far?

Tristaris

I gotta say, I've had a lot of fun in A18 thus far. My current save with friends we are approaching the day 21 horde and have been stockpiling ammo and getting ready for it.

Day 7 wasn't terribly bad, but I was grouped with a couple of newer players that were still getting the hang of it.

Day 14 however was a totally different beast altogether. Irradiated zeds, cops, etc. It was a madhouse and we drained nearly all of our ammo. I'm not mad, though because it was damn fun even if I wasn't expecting radiated zeds so quickly.

How has your experience fared so far?

** From the last time I played the game any substantial amount and to this one, horde nights are so much better compared to my last where horde night would be over by 12/1 am. Now it's nonstop until 3 am and I love it.

I gotta say, I've had a lot of fun in A18 thus far. My current save with friends we are approaching the day 21 horde and have been stockpiling ammo and getting ready for it.

Day 7 wasn't terribly bad, but I was grouped with a couple of newer players that were still getting the hang of it.

Day 14 however was a totally different beast altogether. Irradiated zeds, cops, etc. It was a madhouse and we drained nearly all of our ammo. I'm not mad, though because it was damn fun even if I wasn't expecting radiated zeds so quickly.

** From the last time I played the game any substantial amount and to this one, horde nights are so much better compared to my last where horde night would be over by 12/1 am. Now it's nonstop until 3 am and I love it.

I turned up the zombie counts on my server and increased difficulty, and one of us (group of 3) was new. We had settled in a post office POI, so it was fairly sturdy (upgraded cobblestone) but we all died at least once and ran through all of our ammo, plus lost a couple junk turrets.

But we still had fun, and now that it's not looming over our heads we can work on projects we've been meaning to since the start, like farming.

I've found that the junk turrets are incredibly useful, as well.

We were just running navezgane for the time being with turned up the amount of zombie counts to 12 rather than 8 but may end up turning it down a little since we were playing in groups of 4-5 and a couple were having some FPS loss because of the amount of enemies around. Other than that, though - it's been huge fun.

Vanilla horde nights are generally a joke after you get used to the ones in darkness falls, Just did my day 7 horde night in SP, I just sat in some random house picking off the zombies whichever way they tried to come in, killed them all by 1 am or so.

Vanilla horde nights are generally a joke after you get used to the ones in darkness falls, Just did my day 7 horde night in SP, I just sat in some random house picking off the zombies whichever way they tried to come in, killed them all by 1 am or so.

They stopped coming by 1? We still had a few running in at 3:55

A18 has been a serious change for horde night as SP. Day 7 horde, even with the AK and about 280 rnds of ammo, went through all my ammo and finally killed me. Day 14 was more dangerous enemies but I was in a much better location (construction site elevated over spikes and a narrow killbox) and survived the night but went through all my ammo in all 3 guns I had. I don't know how many zombies I killed but it was 3 levels I picked up.

I've turned up 24 hour cycle duration to 90 minutes so both days and nights last longer. All around though the hordes are more dangerous but their behavior is more, well, zombie and not psychic architectural engineers like A17. It's good, hard challenges and I'm really enjoying it.

They stopped coming by 1? We still had a few running in at 3:55

Same here, we still had zeds spawning past 3 a.m. even on mostly default settings. It wasn't incredibly difficult, mind you, but instead felt like a good amount of fun to do rather than what it was in the past.

Solo player, default settings.

Day 7 horde was super easy. Standard zeds only; All dead and done by 12:30ish.

Day 14 horde was a bit more interesting. Mostly standards with a few spiders and a bunch of dogs. Dead and done by 2:30ish.

Having found a level 3 AK made things a lot easier though. Would have been much harder without it. Let's see what day 21 brings.

Speaking as a player who takes careful note of gamestage and how it is affecting things, I always saw that weird pattern. Horde 1 is small and easy, Horde 2 is always bizarrely harder than you expect. Horde 3 and on it's back to a linear increase of difficulty. It's always that weird horde 2 that feels OP.

Anyway just had horde 1 in A18, was small and easy as it always is. The biggest thing I noted was the zombies hit 3 sides of my base, which seems different than A17 (and better!)

Well, all of this isn't much help without a GS note especially when grouped with other players. Since its been noted that GS is the primary factor in what you get on horde nights!

I'm only on day 5 at the moment lol

My 7th day horde ended around 23:10, which i found very confusing. I got down from the trailers i refitted to make an arena, walked around the spike trenches to see how many i will need to put up again. Took me a few minutes to determine what is what and decided to go back to my base. It was pretty late so i went out of the game to resume another day.

When i logged in, i was checking some boxes with headphones off (so no sound), because who cares, horde is done for. When i did put my headphones on, i heard banging coming from somewhere. Without thinking i went down to the entrance of my base. A big group banging on the doors. I killed like 10 Zs at that very entrance with my gun, slowly getting low on ammo i had on me. Couldn't run up for more ammo, as it would take too much time. I peeked out and more were coming at me, another 5 went down. It couldn't have happened... The Horde is back!

I ran back to my trailer arena and climbed up. More zombies came after me, so i had to check. Opened console and it turned out group number 0 was almost finished, with 27 zombies counting. Kept on killing with the bow, some died on the leftover spikes. There were more and more though... Console again and the numbering change, group number 1, with another set of 27 zombies. So we're doing this until it's peaceful then...

Around 3 AM only single zombies were running around, some closer to my base. Checked the console one last time, the second group got slaughtered, so there were some randoms running around. I don't know if it was due to logging out of the game and coming back during the bloodmoon, but i am pretty sure the initial wave was the original Horde or perhaps it was a time of peace and the BloodMoon spawned more zombies after a certain amount of time?

Oh it was lots of fun...

My 7th day horde ended around 23:10, which i found very confusing. I got down from the trailers i refitted to make an arena, walked around the spike trenches to see how many i will need to put up again. Took me a few minutes to determine what is what and decided to go back to my base. It was pretty late so i went out of the game to resume another day.

When i logged in, i was checking some boxes with headphones off (so no sound), because who cares, horde is done for. When i did put my headphones on, i heard banging coming from somewhere. Without thinking i went down to the entrance of my base. A big group banging on the doors. I killed like 10 Zs at that very entrance with my gun, slowly getting low on ammo i had on me. Couldn't run up for more ammo, as it would take too much time. I peeked out and more were coming at me, another 5 went down. It couldn't have happened... The Horde is back!

I ran back to my trailer arena and climbed up. More zombies came after me, so i had to check. Opened console and it turned out group number 0 was almost finished, with 27 zombies counting. Kept on killing with the bow, some died on the leftover spikes. There were more and more though... Console again and the numbering change, group number 1, with another set of 27 zombies. So we're doing this until it's peaceful then...

Around 3 AM only single zombies were running around, some closer to my base. Checked the console one last time, the second group got slaughtered, so there were some randoms running around. I don't know if it was due to logging out of the game and coming back during the bloodmoon, but i am pretty sure the initial wave was the original Horde or perhaps it was a time of peace and the BloodMoon spawned more zombies after a certain amount of time?

Oh it was lots of fun...

Yes, that is a bug that has been in for quite a while now. If you login during a hordenight the horde spawns and attacks, regardless of whether or not it has already been dispatched. You can effectively farm blood moon hordes by logging out as soon as you've defeated the horde, and then log backin to get a fresh supply of zombies.

Archived