A19 NPCs DMT Mod

xyth

My memory is sometimes not so great. Are all pressing bugs addressed or are there lingering issues?

Has the npc / trader interactions been re-tested? I've tested them, but I've tested other 'fixes' as well, so that's not necessarily saying much.

If by interaction you mean the dialogue options and the actions after clicking on individual options, then yes, they seem to work correctly. I will double check to make sure.

However, there are still other issues. Among other things, there is still that problem with losing NPCs in the trader's base, friendly fire - they get instantly aggressive and attack you when you cause them even a small health loss by accident, but on the other hand, when they want to attack the enemy, they don't mind to kill you in the process if you're standing in the way.

If by interaction you mean the dialogue options and the actions after clicking on individual options, then yes, they seem to work correctly. I will double check to make sure.

However, there are still other issues. Among other things, there is still that problem with losing NPCs in the trader's base, friendly fire - they get instantly aggressive and attack you when you cause them even a small health loss by accident, but on the other hand, when they want to attack the enemy, they don't mind to kill you in the process if you're standing in the way.

- A fix is in the other repo. I'll push the fix in SDXMods for the revenger

- To protect you from damage, we'd to take a look at the player class. Should be pretty safe, but I had wanted to keep them separate than the player, but looks like we can't avoid that.

Pushed a fix for the revenge.

Does it work only with hired NPCs? Because I was fighting zombies together with a non-hired NPCNurse and she attacked me, because I probably hit her by accident. You know, I was surrounded by many frozen zombies and I had only a wooden club, but NPCNurse was near and I thought maybe she could help, so I brought couple of them to her and she really started to fight them as expected and I was hitting them from the other side with a club. Everything went well until the point when I probably hit NPCNurse and she got aggressive towards me as well. It was not my intention to hurt her though, but naturally I was out of stamina almost the whole time during that fight and when she attacked me, I also lost a lot of health. As soon as I got a bit of stamina back, I started running away from her, but she immediately ran after me trying to kill me while the remaining frozen zombies tried to kill us both. I do understand that non-hired NPCs may not trust a stranger as much as they would trust their leader, but still, situations like this one feel kinda stupid. And of course, while I was trying to run away from NPCNurse, I was unable to avoid them all and I was hit and killed by those remaining frozen zombies. There was also a non-hired NPCFarmer who just enjoyed the fight from safe distance as a spectator and obviously didn't feel like helping at all, BUT for some reason when I respawned and came back to pick up my bag, I witnessed a funny situation as I found both NPCNurse and NPCFarmer fighting each other and NPCFarmer won, so at the very least, I got some satisfaction thanks to this bizarre experience which brought smile on my face. :)

Does it work only with hired NPCs? Because I was fighting zombies together with a non-hired NPCNurse and she attacked me, because I probably hit her by accident. You know, I was surrounded by many frozen zombies and I had only a wooden club, but NPCNurse was near and I thought maybe she could help, so I brought couple of them to her and she really started to fight them as expected and I was hitting them from the other side with a club. Everything went well until the point when I probably hit NPCNurse and she got aggressive towards me as well. It was not my intention to hurt her though, but naturally I was out of stamina almost the whole time during that fight and when she attacked me, I also lost a lot of health. As soon as I got a bit of stamina back, I started running away from her, but she immediately ran after me trying to kill me while the remaining frozen zombies tried to kill us both. I do understand that non-hired NPCs may not trust a stranger as much as they would trust their leader, but still, situations like this one feel kinda stupid. And of course, while I was trying to run away from NPCNurse, I was unable to avoid them all and I was hit and killed by those remaining frozen zombies. There was also a non-hired NPCFarmer who just enjoyed the fight from safe distance as a spectator and obviously didn't feel like helping at all, BUT for some reason when I respawned and came back to pick up my bag, I witnessed a funny situation as I found both NPCNurse and NPCFarmer fighting each other and NPCFarmer won, so at the very least, I got some satisfaction thanks to this bizarre experience which brought smile on my face. :)

I wouldn't expect them to particular help you just yet, especially if you hit them. They hate zombies; they don't necessarily like you.

I would say the scenario you describe is working as intended currently. We'll further refine it, where some NPCs may help each other, while others may not. Maybe generate some random factions and have different NPCs assigned to each one, as sort of mini-gangs.

I wouldn't expect them to particular help you just yet, especially if you hit them. They hate zombies; they don't necessarily like you.

I would say the scenario you describe is working as intended currently. We'll further refine it, where some NPCs may help each other, while others may not. Maybe generate some random factions and have different NPCs assigned to each one, as sort of mini-gangs.

Yeah, but you know I didn't really mean to hit her, so maybe NPCs could detect that some fighting with zombies was going on and maybe they could turn a blind eye to it if it happens just once. Accidents happen. If I kept hitting her, that would be a different story and of course, she could consider that as a threat and she would react accordingly, but hitting her just once by accident could be forgiven even if she wasn't hired, especially when we both were in the middle of a fight with zombies.

As for the factions and mini-gangs, well that sounds very good and it would give me more than I would dare to ask for :p But then again, if the goal is something like that, then it would be better if the pack of NPCs was bigger, so that the mini-gangs or the said factions would be formed by mostly different people. Perhaps one day if and when TFP re-add bandits and hopefully re-add whatever it is that we need for proper UMA NPCs, you could effectively generate all kinds of different NPCs with different weapons and clothes and armor and they could be good or evil and you would have to approach them to find out if they are friendly or not, that would be cool!

Yeah, but you know I didn't really mean to hit her, so maybe NPCs could detect that some fighting with zombies was going on and maybe they could turn a blind eye to it if it happens just once. Accidents happen. If I kept hitting her, that would be a different story and of course, she could consider that as a threat and she would react accordingly, but hitting her just once by accident could be forgiven even if she wasn't hired, especially when we both were in the middle of a fight with zombies.

As for the factions and mini-gangs, well that sounds very good and it would give me more than I would dare to ask for :p But then again, if the goal is something like that, then it would be better if the pack of NPCs was bigger, so that the mini-gangs or the said factions would be formed by mostly different people. Perhaps one day if and when TFP re-add bandits and hopefully re-add whatever it is that we need for proper UMA NPCs, you could effectively generate all kinds of different NPCs with different weapons and clothes and armor and they could be good or evil and you would have to approach them to find out if they are friendly or not, that would be cool!

Straight immunity seems like it's too much. Maybe a simple mechanic where you disarm yourself and have your bare hands to indicate your surrender.

Straight immunity seems like it's too much. Maybe a simple mechanic where you disarm yourself and have your bare hands to indicate your surrender.

I think Fallout 4 solved this in a similar way, but for some reason I never really needed to use it. Maybe it was because when something went wrong, I just reloaded the last best save and continued, but then again in 7 days to die we have no way to reload even in singleplayer, once something goes wrong, it stays that way, so any safe way to back out of some unintentional incident with NPCs would be helpful.

I think Fallout 4 solved this in a similar way, but for some reason I never really needed to use it. Maybe it was because when something went wrong, I just reloaded the last best save and continued, but then again in 7 days to die we have no way to reload even in singleplayer, once something goes wrong, it stays that way, so any safe way to back out of some unintentional incident with NPCs would be helpful.

I'm not a huge fan of adding NPCs just for the sake of adding allies. They are cheap now, but they won't always be. When we add in more random elements to them, such as different levels, health, attack damage, etc, then their fees will be more expensive. We may even tie in some to the Perk levels. Some may be available through quest chains, etc.

In reality, very few people would continue to fight you to the death, especially if you are showing signs that you are done.

That being said, I wouldn't want you to throw up your hands to surrounded, and the NPC gives up... just so you switch back to your weapon, hit them, then hands again.

I'm not a huge fan of adding NPCs just for the sake of adding allies. They are cheap now, but they won't always be. When we add in more random elements to them, such as different levels, health, attack damage, etc, then their fees will be more expensive. We may even tie in some to the Perk levels. Some may be available through quest chains, etc.

In reality, very few people would continue to fight you to the death, especially if you are showing signs that you are done.

That being said, I wouldn't want you to throw up your hands to surrounded, and the NPC gives up... just so you switch back to your weapon, hit them, then hands again.

Oh, so you don't want players to abuse it, okay... How about this: Maybe they would have some kind of bar filled with patience and the more you piss them off, the lower their patience will be. If their patience is high enough, they may forgive you some random shots or hits, but once their patience gets too low or empty, they will not forgive you, they will want to kill you. Just an idea... The trouble with a solution like this would probably be that one bar of patience wouldn't be enough for all players and other NPCs / traders / bandits, because they shouldn't want to kill everyone just because one bandit pissed them off, but still there should be some kind of logic in it with players having a fair chance to avoid the fight with the NPCs if the NPCs aren't straight-up evil.

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)

Oh, so you don't want players to abuse it, okay... How about this: Maybe they would have some kind of bar filled with patience and the more you piss them off, the lower their patience will be. If their patience is high enough, they may forgive you some random shots or hits, but once their patience gets too low or empty, they will not forgive you, they will want to kill you. Just an idea... The trouble with a solution like this would probably be that one bar of patience wouldn't be enough for all players and other NPCs / traders / bandits, because they shouldn't want to kill everyone just because one bandit pissed them off, but still there should be some kind of logic in it with players having a fair chance to avoid the fight with the NPCs if the NPCs aren't straight-up evil.

I have thought about a patience factor. Your reputation with factions can move up and down, but that's for an entire faction, not for individuals. I think having a patience bar for just players would be enough. It'd probably be a simple cvar per player.

But you could add a parameter for that so people could set it so, or another option would be to tie it to the PVP flag in the options...

We could do that. But not all NPCs will want to be hired, and some will be looters / junkers / bandits.

true, but don't they have all their own xml entries?

Yes. Their XML will describe their base attribute. Then, on spawn in, they'll go through a randomization process to add more diversity to the individuals. We may not be able to put in dozens and dozens of unique models, but we can get them to have random elements to make each encounter a bit less certain.

I can add more NPCs when needed. The ones currently in the mod were for testing and for future crafter roles like baker and farmer. I'm not planning on adding new NPCs just for "variety", I will leave that to others. It takes a lot of effort to make a "finished" custom entity.

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

It takes a lot of effort to make a "finished" custom entity.

i double confirm that lol, the more i talk to xyth about animating these entities the further i feel im going down the rabbit hole :boom:

Well, I'm not much of a modder, but if it helps, I can confirm that it's always VERY appreciated when you guys add more stuff to this mod, because I absolutely love it and I will always love to help you test it thoroughly in my gaming sessions which are always several hours long! :p

Seriously, I would get bored in vanilla, but I can keep playing for hours with this mod, so you are doing something right! :D

Sphereii, sometimes I get some red message in console, but it's always pushed away very fast by the stats messages. Is there any way I can temporarily turn off the stats messages so that when this red message shows up again, I will be able to read it and find it in the log?

Alternatively, here's the last log full of these stats, but also the error messages:

output_log