How to nerf mining XP?

zootal

I have buffed the stone axe, increasing damage significantly, and my players use it for mining. An unexpected side effect is that mining iron ore gives massive amounts of XP. If you find a rich vein, you can level up in just a couple of minutes.

I looked through the xml files and did not see an obvious setting controlling this. My question, therefore, is how do you nerf the amount of XP you get for mining?

The thing with mining is while the payload XP is lower, your net harvest threshold is significantly larger due to ease of access to those resources.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't really nerf it in a way thats balanced unless you remove all XP gains from mining.

I have buffed the stone axe, increasing damage significantly, and my players use it for mining. An unexpected side effect is that mining iron ore gives massive amounts of XP. If you find a rich vein, you can level up in just a couple of minutes.

I looked through the xml files and did not see an obvious setting controlling this. My question, therefore, is how do you nerf the amount of XP you get for mining?

I don't have an answer for your question but I think they should add some kind of setting for this. Not the usual configurable setting with a UI, but a setting in the XML files. Like say 'MiningXP' multiplier where the default = 1.0.

I myself like the new XP buff for mining. I prefer destroying rocks and gathering ore/resourcing through mining for some reason. It's very relaxing. Killing zombies gets boring after you kill dozens upon dozens of them just to get the next level/skill point.

I noticed that mining through an auger gives less XP than mining using a pickaxe. You could try that. You could also reducing the newly-add XP multiper in the settings though that looks to be a global thing that also applies to zombie-death xp.

Only as idea, is it not possible to add a -90% XP buff to the tool ?

(The nerd googles have a +10, the bandana of my mod works with a -100%, no idea if a tool can have this)

That would be awesome if it worked and really the most ideal solution for this situation as it pertains specifically to the mining tools because of a mining tool mod. Hope the OP shares if he makes this adjustment and if it works.

Could it be that the iron itself is the part of the problem? My experience so far is that when i harvest or salvage things, the xp I get is based on the number and types of items I get.

For example, I can use a wrench on a bed and get 400xp+ (in some cases, i've seen as high as 700+). The xp differs depending on how many springs, or other things, come from the effort. For mining, I get more xp on iron deposits than I do from the smaller rocks on the surface that provide decent iron, mainly because it's more rock than anything else.

Otherwise, Only has the right idea. Slowing down mining via removing things you've buffed really high would be a faster/easier fix.

IMO, just gaining exp will slowly make you weaker compared to the average GameStage zombie unless you die a lot (dead-is-dead, not an option).

Just talking survival chances: Quickly getting tier 6 weapons and armor full of good mods and maxing out the right perks for them is the goal. Also an Ammo economy: all the mines needed to make ammo and good duke income to buy more ammo.

I can see some people actually wanting to be weaker as they say the game is too easy for them.

In this context the OP modified the Stone Axe directly. Typically, if you're modding something and it's causing an imbalance, IMO, the ideal solution is the recommendation above to nerf the XP on the item that was modded.

I mean, if you're mining wicked fast with a Stone Axe, you're going to gain mad XP mining overall. So nerfing XP gains with the Axe would seem like the most appropriate solution unless you're modding Al forms of mining tools. Then maybe a block adjustment would be more ideal.

since i don't mod anything, I can't really speak about how those would be adjusted. I'd see it more as the mod is what's causing the problem, and removing that would be an immediate and long term fix. :)

I could see where adjusting the block itself could be a decent solution, if you didn't want to remove the axe mods, but it seems like trying to fix something that wasn't really broken to begin with pre-mod.

Btw thats the relevant code from my -100% XP Bandana

<effect_group tiered="false">
	<passive_effect name="ModSlots" operation="base_set" value="1"/>
	<passive_effect name="PlayerExpGain" operation="perc_add" value="-1" />
	<display_value name="dPlayerExpGain" value="-1"/>
</effect_group>

No idea if it helps

I guess i would try to make it a "on hit" effect

Could it be that the iron itself is the part of the problem? My experience so far is that when i harvest or salvage things, the xp I get is based on the number and types of items I get. <snip..>

Yes, it is. If I mine dirt, sand, rock, xp goes up slowly. If I mine iron, it screams upwards. I did not, however, see anything in xml that made this type of ore/block stand out, but I may have missed it. Or it could be hard coded into the program and not a setting in the xml files...

I did not see a setting for PlayerExpGain for the stone axe specifically, but maybe I can add it just to the stone axe and get it to work? I'll try that tonight.

I was able to add PlayerExpGain to the stone axe section of items.xml, but balancing this was really tricky. Something somewhere is buffing xp gained from mining iron a lot, stone a little, and dirt not noticeably. If I set it to -1, it stops XP. If I set it lower, you actually loose XP. I ended up setting it to -0.9. That still gives a little XP when using the axe. Time will tell if this breaks anything, I may adjust it further depending on the level of whining from my players....

I was able to add PlayerExpGain to the stone axe section of items.xml, but balancing this was really tricky. Something somewhere is buffing xp gained from mining iron a lot, stone a little, and dirt not noticeably. If I set it to -1, it stops XP. If I set it lower, you actually loose XP. I ended up setting it to -0.9. That still gives a little XP when using the axe. Time will tell if this breaks anything, I may adjust it further depending on the level of whining from my players....

Does it apply only if you use the axe or if you carry it, or if you have it on your belt ?

Does it apply only if you use the axe or if you carry it, or if you have it on your belt ?

I'm not 100% certain. I put it in the action section for stoneaxe in items.xml, so in theory it should only been when using it, but I'll have to watch for a bit to see. Be funny if I accidentally caused XP to go down when not using the axe....ok so my players would probably not share my amusement.

I'll watch for a bit and post results here.

Archived