Why not: drip fed xp

Dimpy

Perhaps drip-feeding XP to the player instead of giving it to them immediately would make it fell less like a resource to be mined and grinded. By drip-feeding, I mean instead of getting all 550 XP after killing a zombie, you get it slowly over the course of a few days, kind of like how the food and water bars refill slowly after eating food/drinking.

A lot of cool stuff could be done with this like that ability to "overfill" the virtual XP IV bag, making you level up faster at the cost of efficiency, or the loss of ungained XP on death.

Then it would no longer be experience points, eh?

As for the last suggestion of losing xp on death, you could have that without drip points.

???

Why would they no longer be experience points?

Yes, you could take away a set number of experience points away every time someone died. I'm not sure exactly why you'd want to do that or how you'd balance it though.

Perhaps drip-feeding XP to the player instead of giving it to them immediately would make it fell less like a resource to be mined and grinded. By drip-feeding, I mean instead of getting all 550 XP after killing a zombie, you get it slowly over the course of a few days, kind of like how the food and water bars refill slowly after eating food/drinking.

A lot of cool stuff could be done with this like that ability to "overfill" the virtual XP IV bag, making you level up faster at the cost of efficiency, or the loss of ungained XP on death.

I think you win the award for worst idea of A17 :p

people are all ready raging at how much slower gameplay is in a17 than a16 and you want to make it even slower xD

Nooot sure I see what would be the point of such mechanic. If it was some sort of xp multiplier you need to maintain and that can overfill like you said, then okay, but main xp working like that? Can't get the idea..

There is a system that I heard suggested a few weeks ago where you'd just get a set amount of XP every day, no other source. The idea was that it would completely eliminate any need for XP grinding, and players would be encouraged to focus on survival instead.

The drip feed is supposed to be a combination of that system and the current system, where both doing activities AND surviving for a long time is necessary.

Sorry but this is a really really bad idea. Not sure who on earth would want this. I just killed a zombie and I eventually get the experience for the kill a few days later? Lol. Explain how I can level up faster with this method. With the conventional (normal) method I immediately get 5500 xp for killing 10 zombies. Kill enough zombies in one day and I can level up and get a skill point (or two). I can put that skill point into melee or ranged damage and now I can kill more efficiently. With your method I get that 5500 xp a few days later and even if I kill lots of zombies today I am stuck at the current level until I get all the accumulated experience....days later.

There is a system that I heard suggested a few weeks ago where you'd just get a set amount of XP every day, no other source. The idea was that it would completely eliminate any need for XP grinding, and players would be encouraged to focus on survival instead.

The drip feed is supposed to be a combination of that system and the current system, where both doing activities AND surviving for a long time is necessary.

That proposed (getting set xp daily) system sounds horrible and the drip feed is even worse. Why would you give free xp (probably not what you mean) or limit the xp a player can get in 1 day? In 7D2D I think part of the survival aspect *is* killing zombies in addition to scavenging and building. Early in a17 they changed it to kill-zombies fps (eg kill zombies grind/necessary to do anything else). With the more recent changes I think they are finally (in general) going back on the right track. There are still some outstanding issues but it feels less like work now.

How about have three constant missions that can give you 1 level per day. So a player can gain up to 3 levels a day max.

1)Kill 20 zombies.

2)Harvest 2000 resources.

3)Sell 15 crafted items. (or a certain amout of dukes gained)

***Numbers would change depending on difficulty level.

On the theory that a person can only learn so much in one day.

How about have three constant missions that can give you 1 level per day. So a player can gain up to 3 levels a day max.

1)Kill 20 zombies.

2)Harvest 2000 resources.

3)Sell 15 crafted items. (or a certain amout of dukes gained)

***Numbers would change depending on difficulty level.

On the theory that a person can only learn so much in one day.

I feel like that would actually make things feel more grindy. You literally have chores you need to complete to get levels. Yes once you complete the daily tasks you don't have to worry about XP anymore for the day, but players are going to feel VERY compelled to complete those tasks. Once the tasks are completed, then they will feel relatively meaningless.

The metagame of leveling up gets taken to a whole new level: "I have these 20 items to sell, but I'm only going to sell 15 because that's all the quest wants me to do". "The horde night is coming. My base could use some concrete reinforcement, but I'm only 300 resources away from completing the collect resources quest, so I'll chop a tree down instead".

XP metagaming is what the drip feed is supposed to get rid of. It doesn't matter if you kill 500 zombies every five days or 100 zombies every day, you're still getting roughly the same amount of XP per minute.

I feel like that would actually make things feel more grindy. You literally have chores you need to complete to get levels. Yes once you complete the daily tasks you don't have to worry about XP anymore for the day, but players are going to feel VERY compelled to complete those tasks. Once the tasks are completed, then they will feel relatively meaningless.

The metagame of leveling up gets taken to a whole new level: "I have these 20 items to sell, but I'm only going to sell 15 because that's all the quest wants me to do". "The horde night is coming. My base could use some concrete reinforcement, but I'm only 300 resources away from completing the collect resources quest, so I'll chop a tree down instead".

XP metagaming is what the drip feed is supposed to get rid of. It doesn't matter if you kill 500 zombies every five days or 100 zombies every day, you're still getting roughly the same amount of XP per minute.

Well, killing 50 zombies in one day is my definition of meaningless. I quit playing for several days after I asked myself what I was doing.

A Mindless and meaningless activity was my answer... Maybe your idea has merit.

Well, killing 50 zombies in one day is my definition of meaningless. I quit playing for several days after I asked myself what I was doing.

The zombies try to punch me. I used to resist. Sometimes they'd get the better of me, but I would always barely make it, again.

No, it wasn't the deadly jaws of a zombie dog that got me in the end, nor was it a building dropping on my head.

It wasn't and absence of water, draining my health that killed me, but an absence of meaning, draining my will to survivie.

Archived