What Do Players Do at Night Now? A17

Z-Pooh-Bear

Honest question. For me, in the early game there isn't much to do but crouch in the shadows and imagine a world in which I could be digging underground. Every time I put torches out bad things happen, and I haven't been lucky enough to loot a miner hat early in the last couple games.

Interested to hear what others are doing. I play hardcore and as such, can't risk an ambush until I'm prepared, so I'm more interested in responses from players that try their best not to die and embrace the survival aspect.

Edit: Off-topic afterthought. One of my favorite feelings from previous alphas was from that moment you get in at the end of the day and your sure no non-blood moon zed could possibly get in. You feel safe for a bit, cozy in whatever hovel you've cut out for yourself. I didn't worry about a few lights and would spend the night sorting, mining, cooking, planting, labeling, etc. It felt nice and there was always plenty that could be done.

On my newest playthrough I decided to set the days to 120 min.

Then at night I log out, set the days to 10 min. Log in. Wait for nighttime to end. Log out and set the days back to 120 min.

((I only do this if I have running zombies at night. Otherwise I set them to walk and do what I want all night.))

Bam!

Really early game I hop on top of a big boulder, crouch and whack away.....with my stone ax. If one comes near I stop and wait. Early game runners I can usually pick one off with a bow before they get up there if needed. After a few days I start making flagstone blocks to make a base.

I couldn't see anything with default gamma setting at night, so I was mostly mining underground. Things have changed for the better once I set gamma to max. I can now see at night and it's much easier to avoid zombies if you can actually see them.

I also find burning forests to be the easiest at night as you can see burning Zs from afar and there is a lot of stuff to scavenge there.

On my newest playthrough I decided to set the days to 120 min.

Then at night I log out, set the days to 10 min. Log in. Wait for nighttime to end. Log out and set the days back to 120 min.

((I only do this if I have running zombies at night. Otherwise I set them to walk and do what I want all night.))

Bam!

If you enable DM in the console commands and hit esc you can just adjust the time to 4 a.m. and skip the night. It's what the wife and I do after our chores are done (crafting, sorting etc).

Might be easier than logging in and out multiple times.

Well sure edit the gamme helps a lot. But be aware that this is on the same niveau as using the cm menue.

If you want a challenge, dont do it

If yu dont care about a challenge and want only fun, feel free to do it

the only reason I up gamma is because I stream it and if the viewers can't see... they won't watch lol. When I play off stream I leave the gamma at around 35% like I do in the day time.

Well sure edit the gamme helps a lot. But be aware that this is on the same niveau as using the cm menue.

If you want a challenge, dont do it

If yu dont care about a challenge and want only fun, feel free to do it

I'm up for any legitimate challenge, hell I've been playing perma-death on this game for years. If I get risky and die, have to start over. I am just taking in information right now, this has been really informative. I'm not alone!

I will add that the boredom of sitting around ninja style for 15 out of every 60 min. is an issue for me. Who knows, maybe they were just building in time to for me to check the forums?

Despite people saying you can't do that anymore if I don't have chores to do in my hideout I'm out mining all the time, just like I did in a16. I'm on day 87 and there was only one time when 3 or 4 zombies got down into my mine, other than zombies never bother me.

Early game/Mid Game = turn up gamma and harvest resources

Late Game = Grandpa's Moonshine, Med bandages, Spiked Knuckles, and Screamers for late night Zombie Fight Club

can confirm this is a badass way to spend nights. From both your stream and doing in game haha.

But really, don't be scared of zombies at night. You'll be fine. If things get dicey you can always run off and break LOS and crouch, they won't find you if you're sneaky. I usually do my mining/tree farming at night if I don't have a lot of crafting to do.

Despite people saying you can't do that anymore if I don't have chores to do in my hideout I'm out mining all the time, just like I did in a16. I'm on day 87 and there was only one time when 3 or 4 zombies got down into my mine, other than zombies never bother me.

I realize that once you have access to better gear the night becomes more viable, but remembering early game (first week). If you can't take many hits, have ♥♥♥♥ stamina, and your only lighting option is a torch, would you still freely resource?

I realize that once you have access to better gear the night becomes more viable, but remembering early game (first week). If you can't take many hits, have ♥♥♥♥ stamina, and your only lighting option is a torch, would you still freely resource?

I do, that's what I meant. Granted, I don't mine much early game. There's little need, cobblestone does fine for the first 3 bloodmoons and by then you'll have unlimited stamina mining with iron (or luckily steel) tools. Use your ears, and your sneaky logic when out early. If you're not adept at fighting blind with a bow/club (which is a hard-learned gaming trait actually lol), listen for sounds of them before they find you. Stop (you should already be crouched), look, listen. Find them, back away slowly. If you fight, pick em off with a sneak shot. If you run or run after, haul ass a little bit, get behind a tree or boulder and crouch. They will get close, but they won't find you unless you move back out.

I've stayed crouched NEXT to zombies before doing this when I took too many hits on rad zombies at night and ran out of ammo/bandages lol. No points in stealth.

Depends on the night...

Regular nights, I just go about my business as usual, and usually either kill or run away from a couple packs of zombies.

On blood nights, I have a bunker I built that does pretty good, I survive the blood nights about 50% of the time, this is single player, normal settings.

- P

Hmm, I remember I did it with torches early on because I didn't have anything else, though I probably already had a pistol for emergencies.

Probably not the best idea early on, especially if you play permadeath, but I've never had a single zombies magically sniffing out where I was and digging down to me, but maybe I'm just lucky :)

Archived