digging zombie work around / persistant zombies ??

srsen

Hiding in an underground base should not be a roleplaying or immersion option. Are you serious? When was the last time you went out in your backyard and decided to dig into the bedrock? Lol! It's like some of you have never tried this in real life.

It was called the Cold War. Bomb shelters were the rage. Something being worried about nukes I believe.

(and yes, it's fun for some of us to make large underground bases, or even cities.)

So instead of finding solutions to the digging zombies it turns into people calling each other out over how to play the game? Interesting.. for 16 alphas or so zombies haven't been able to dig and it has attracted an audience who play a particular fashion and enjoy certain mechanics. Granted. The game has to evolve and change but it does offer customisation in certain areas, one to restrict zombie digging would be useful and wouldn't affect anyone else who prefers otherwise.

So instead of finding solutions to the digging zombies it turns into people calling each other out over how to play the game? Interesting.. for 16 alphas or so zombies haven't been able to dig and it has attracted an audience who play a particular fashion and enjoy certain mechanics. Granted. The game has to evolve and change but it does offer customisation in certain areas, one to restrict zombie digging would be useful and wouldn't affect anyone else who prefers otherwise.

Not true. They used to dig, then it was removed temporarily until now. The swiss cheese world was a much bigger problem then.

you'd agree then if he switched his statement to for the time between A16 and whatever alpha they stopped digging at?

Agree with what? Doesn't matter which way I want to play really. I'm pretty sure it will either be a setting soon, or in the very least, there will be a way to mod it.

But if you want to know, I specifically lost interest in 7D2D before due to the lack of digging zombies and knowing that I could survive just by digging down 3 blocks and placing a block over my head.

you'd agree then if he switched his statement to for the time between A16 and whatever alpha they stopped digging at?

I fail to see why it matters. If you don't intend to hide in your underground base from zombie hordes, then there is currently nothing stopping you from building one. So whenever someone asks for zombies to stop digging, we know exactly what they are really asking for. They are asking to be able to dig a hole and ignore the requirement to deal with the zombies.

Well, i posted a nice solution for limiting the digging zombies and the underground issues ( why we have digging zombies ):

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?103897-Underground-Digging-zombies-solution-(-for-modders-)

Guess what the responds was. Exactly zero because its on page 2 and by definition dead. Simply put: nobody cares...

I assume it stems from the fact that most suggestions to fix issues, just flat out get ignored by the developers. And we end up with half baked solution like always ( that modders need to fix ). So people have given up looking for solutions.

There will always be exploits.

If TFP removed ALL the possible exploits, the game would be destroyed because Traders could be destroyed. Also little useful could be done in a day.

So the REAL question is: How exploitive should the zombie (and player) behavior be, if at all?

If not at all, then zombies could not do any serious damage to a cubic meter of concrete. Nor could a single player make even 10 cubic meters of concrete in a day...

Some exploits are therefore the best for this game. Which ones? That's as different as there are people! So OPTIONS are the answer.

#Options4Us

I agree totally. Options are what we need. I see many people here questioning why others want to "cheese it" underground on horde night. I see very pointed comments regarding playing the "whimpy" way. My answer to them is, why should it matter to you. You play your way, ill play mine. What you choose to do should in no way interfere with what I choose to do. So if you didnt like being a mole person, simple, dont be one.

I really would love to see toggles and sliders just like the ones that have been made for the zombie speed (which is really great). Sliders to turn up or down xp gain, resource gathering, stamina (or lack of it), encumbrance. I know that there are modlets that people can use to help with some of these things.

I will use Ark as an example. There are sooooo many mods for ark and you can choose to use them or not. But still the main UI has many sliders and toggles, allowing people to choose their rate of advancement, resources gathered, block strength, xp gain, etc. That is what I would really love to see for 7 days 2 die, along with a lot more tolerance from some of the people who obviously love to charge at the zombies head on from day 1. Not everyone plays that way.

I fail to see why it matters. If you don't intend to hide in your underground base from zombie hordes, then there is currently nothing stopping you from building one. So whenever someone asks for zombies to stop digging, we know exactly what they are really asking for. They are asking to be able to dig a hole and ignore the requirement to deal with the zombies.

I hear you but that wasn't really what I was asking the original commenter. I hope I was clearer in my follow up post.

I'd still prefer to have a toggle for digging zombies.

We have one for running.

This just seems like a no-brainer.

I agree. And option would be great or at least a way to mod it out if we don't want it. I have looked at entityclasses.xml and saw nothing there about. I figure it must be hard coded.

I agree. And option would be great or at least a way to mod it out if we don't want it. I have looked at entityclasses.xml and saw nothing there about. I figure it must be hard coded.

Yeah it's hard coded, unfortunately.

Otherwise this would be the most popular Modlet in the forums.

i do not mind digging zombies, it adds more danger and fun to underground things. but then, some people does not like it. why not to set it in game options? everyone can chose its own style without learning modding.

See that's the real issue right?

Some people like you and I enjoy the challenge while others like having a little down time to relax and mine at night.

Both are just fine.

Just to be fair,

I completely understand what Gazz meant when he said adding too many options compounds the problem they are already having.

There becomes too many iterations to test and make bug free.

Each option multiplies that number.

However.... some options are worth it and make sense.

This is one of those options.

We have a setting for running zombies, one for digging seems in that same "theme" doesn't it?

If TFP gave us a choice of having 10 options they will add to the game and no more...

... I strongly suspect this would make the top five.

See that's the real issue right?

Some people like you and I enjoy the challenge while others like having a little down time to relax and mine at night.

Both are just fine.

Just to be fair,

I completely understand what Gazz meant when he said adding too many options compounds the problem they are already having.

There becomes too many iterations to test and make bug free.

Each option multiplies that number.

However.... some options are worth it and make sense.

This is one of those options.

We have a setting for running zombies, one for digging seems in that same "theme" doesn't it?

If TFP gave us a choice of having 10 options they will add to the game and no more...

... I strongly suspect this would make the top five.

Yes, I agree Lucky. I truly think it would too.

You see, that statement there is simply not true. I would love to see a slider to turn off digging zombies. But I dont avoid zombies and never have.

How about the FACT that a lot of people enjoy carving out a piece of earth and making a base out of it. For me, thats what it comes down to. I have always loved making a beautiful storage base underground. But I have never ever avoided zombies and have always had a sniping tower above ground to face them.

It is obvious from your statement that making an underground base is not your playstyle. There are a HUGE number of people out there who love to play this way, and why shouldnt they. They are not affecting you in any way at all. AND they are having fun, which is why we play games.

You see, that statement there is simply not true. I would love to see a slider to turn off digging zombies. But I dont avoid zombies and never have.

How about the FACT that a lot of people enjoy carving out a piece of earth and making a base out of it. For me, thats what it comes down to. I have always loved making a beautiful storage base underground. But I have never ever avoided zombies and have always had a sniping tower above ground to face them.

It is obvious from your statement that making an underground base is not your playstyle. There are a HUGE number of people out there who love to play this way, and why shouldnt they. They are not affecting you in any way at all. AND they are having fun, which is why we play games.

If you are fighting the horde above ground, then you can still make an underground base. They don't dig if you are above them. So why can you not still build your base underground? Way to get all irate over something and not explain why you think I am wrong. I don't care one bit how you play your game dude. I never once judged anyone's play style. The fact remains, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from having a base underground and fighting the horde above ground. So why do you care if the zombies dig?

If you are fighting the horde above ground, then you can still make an underground base. They don't dig if you are above them. So why can you not still build your base underground? Way to get all irate over something and not explain why you think I am wrong. I don't care one bit how you play your game dude. I never once judged anyone's play style. The fact remains, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from having a base underground and fighting the horde above ground. So why do you care if the zombies dig?

you obviously do not know, what "digging" means or being "above them" while underground. that means , zombies dig downwards in to earth, towards you, if you are making noise or heat underground. that aspect greatly affects players, who want spend peaceful night by mining or building underground. you know

It was the second part of your paragraph that got me going. This part: So whenever someone asks for zombies to stop digging, we know exactly what they are really asking for. They are asking to be able to dig a hole and ignore the requirement to deal with the zombies.

That is the part I was objecting to. I know I can still mine underground and build a base underground, but why would I spend many many hours doing so, when I know that at any time, a wandering horde can spawn and dig me out and trash my base much more easily than if I made a cheesy base on stilts with a ramp in front of it, so that I can spend the nights crafting in peace.

That statement infers that everyone, EVERYONE, who wants an option to stop zombies digging, is looking for a way of playing the game without ever having to deal with zombies. That is not true.

Surprisingly enough, there are many of us who don't want to fight zombies all day and all night.

Hiding in an underground base should not be a roleplaying or immersion option. Are you serious? When was the last time you went out in your backyard and decided to dig into the bedrock? Lol! It's like some of you have never tried this in real life.

In real life you would begin work at around four am and stop around one or two pm. You would eat approximately three to five thousand calories a day and still be starvin' like Marvin. At least that is how construction workers do it, or how they did it while I was doing it.

Now, that is how a construction worker does it. Let's ask the top brass who all have steel nukeproof bunkers buried ten thousand feet below ground how they would to it.

Oh, so underground bunkers are a real thing. Oh, and plenty of houses in America have them labeled as basements? Imagine that.

It seems like some of you have never actually done construction in real life or met anyone in the military.

Well, you're welcome to provide proof for your assertion, or you can let it sit as an unfounded accusation. Some of us are worried about digging zombies getting to us simply while we're digging. I actually had a pack of dogs fall into a hold I had dug a few days ago. They all died from falling, so that was fine. But what I don't want is to be digging a tunnel, a zombie pick me up on his GPS, and start digging down a dozen or two blocks away from my mine entrance and just come on down to join the party while I'm digging on day twelve or fifteen or any day that is not a horde night.

Also, I started playing at the end of fifteen beginning of sixteen. So I put about two thousand hours on alpha sixteen where there were no digging zombies. And I simply didn't know any better. I figured that I had put more hours in the game in one year than many had since the game launched, and that the game was fine. Well, now I only have a few hundred in alpha seventeen, but I have relearned the entire game. That doesn't mean I like it. Of course I don't, it isn't the game I purchased.

But for you to make the wild claim you just did, refuse to offer any evidence for such claim, and then to sit there is simply the height of hubris. It is not true, and since the burden of proof falls upon the accuser....well, we'll just say you had a bad day, said untrue things about those you disagree with, and we'll all accept that you don't really mean what you said.

I KNOW you are wrong because of the post I already made. Of course they will not dig into a base that nobody is in. Thank you for joining the rest of us in reality. But they WILL hear you from fifty blocks above you and begin digging down into your tunnel complex on noon of day eight, fifteen, twenty two, or any day that does not have a horde.

I do not THINK you are wrong. I KNOW that you said something that is completely untrue and so do those who disagree with you.

If you would stop stating how I think and feel you could give an opinion and leave it at that. But you falsely claim to know what others are thinking dude. Pfft, get on with your theatre.

I KNOW you are wrong because of the post I already made. Of course they will not dig into a base that nobody is in. Thank you for joining the rest of us in reality. But they WILL hear you from fifty blocks above you and begin digging down into your tunnel complex on noon of day eight, fifteen, twenty two, or any day that does not have a horde.

I do not THINK you are wrong. I KNOW that you said something that is completely untrue and so do those who disagree with you.

If you would stop stating how I think and feel you could give an opinion and leave it at that. But you falsely claim to know what others are thinking dude. Pfft, get on with your theatre.

Oh, you mean exactly as they would hear me in my above ground base and I would have to go outside and kill them. So they don't tear down my walls. So, what you are saying is you want to ignore zombies and not fight them. Got it. BTW the zombie sensing distance is 35m not 50m. Dig down 35 meters and they wont hear you.

You can "know" I am wrong all you want. There is absolutely no barrier at all to you building your base underground as long as you are willing to defend it above ground. It is literally no different than any other base. Your outrage is laughable.

Archived