Please force wipes during experimental

Bandicoot

TFP needs to force wipe during experimental.

1) people dont wipe their own SP and then report bugs that are old or corrupted stuff.

2) more importantly, server admins dont wipe because they fear too many wipes will drive people away, and now who join as a new player has to reach lvl 280 to be in balance with me at lvl 170 with all the perks i need unlocked before the b231.

3) because of point 2, we cant get to test the new stuff and we dont get the new POIs.

EDIT: people seems to have missunderstood me. the people playing in the server wanted the wipe, admin did not fearing to lose players over too many wipes. we have been stuck with bugs and incredible unbalance between players and an ongoing spam of request to wipe for hours.

TFP needs to force wipe during experimental.

1) people dont wipe their own SP and then report bugs that are old or corrupted stuff.

2) more importantly, server admins dont wipe because they fear too many wipes will drive people away, and now who join as a new player has to reach lvl 280 to be in balance with me at lvl 170 with all the perks i need unlocked before the b231.

3) because of point 2, we cant get to test the new stuff and we dont get the new POIs.

First let me say that I understand how much work goes into running a successful Server.

It's involved and you have to really love what you're doing.

There are already disclaimers telling people who want to report bugs to do so only after a wipe.

Not sure what else TFP can do.

Secondly, Servers using an Experimental build have no one else to blame.

I'm sorry I know that's not helpful but come on.

TFP haven't actually released A17 yet. It's not done.

If you're running a server with A17e and the people on it are surprised and/or upset that you're wiping every time an update comes....

1) How is that TFP's responsibility?

2) Has the Server Admin done their job letting people know?

3) What kind of snowflakes are these people?

Having said that... I get the frustration.

Running a server is hard enough.

Populating a server is really tough with an Alpha game.

Having constant updates and wipes... makes it all the more difficult.

I run a server specifically for my stream, have had ZERO issue with the wipes.

Do we want to wipe?: no.

Do we want to play with the new update?: Yes.

So, then, do we wipe: yes.

Seems like a pretty easy and clear choice to me.

Its better for the community to allow choice in this. The QA team is pretty good at spotting a bug report from someone who didn't wipe.

Yeah.

Shame they've 'had' to get good at it though.

I don't understand the logic of some people.

If you don't want to wipe, don't post.

If you want to post, play vanilla and wipe.

That's..... well whatever.

It seems simple to me but then I don't know each person's situation.

First let me say that I understand how much work goes into running a successful Server.

It's involved and you have to really love what you're doing.

There are already disclaimers telling people who want to report bugs to do so only after a wipe.

Not sure what else TFP can do.

Secondly, Servers using an Experimental build have no one else to blame.

I'm sorry I know that's not helpful but come on.

TFP haven't actually released A17 yet. It's not done.

If you're running a server with A17e and the people on it are surprised and/or upset that you're wiping every time an update comes....

when u dont wipe and i am lvl 170 with almost all perks unlucked and a new player enters and has not only to catch up but also get to lvl 280 to unluck the same perks that i unlucked with the previous costs in b221 yes there is no real choiche if not to wipe. i dont see what how much it takes to run a server or how much admins love running it matters in that, and i wasnt blaming tfp for anything. i had a succesful server of my own from a6 to a13, had to close it cuz i had no time to continue managing it.

what i am saying is that these situations can be avoided by force wiping, and would make tfp much easier not having to spend time sorting posts trying to find out if OP wiped or not instead of just pileing bug reports that are in the live build.

- - - Updated - - -

I run a server specifically for my stream, have had ZERO issue with the wipes.

Do we want to wipe?: no.

Do we want to play with the new update?: Yes.

So, then, do we wipe: yes.

Seems like a pretty easy and clear choice to me.

that

was them exercising their choice. No need for being forced, brah

so what your players think and feel doesnt matter? if the hole server wants a wipe would you still be so cooky to do wtf u want? not cool brah

he got to chose for 40+ ppl... thats not right

so what your players think and feel doesnt matter? if the hole server wants a wipe would you still be so cooky to do wtf u want? not cool brah

he got to chose for 40+ ppl... thats not right

Uh....He chose to wipe. His players wanted a wipe and he did it. What's not right?

He's suggesting that TFP needs to shoulder the blame/responsibility for server whipes by making it a necessity, in order to spare server ops any stigma. It's a sound concept. I don't see why they wouldn't, due to the potential for bugs being caused just by playing on a server with a different version.

Just make version matching mandatory. (edit: or rather require version matching against the version that generated the map being played)

He's suggesting that TFP needs to shoulder the blame/responsibility for server whipes by making it a necessity, in order to spare server ops any stigma. It's a sound concept. I don't see why they wouldn't, due to the potential for bugs being caused just by playing on a server with a different version.

the unbalance in the server for today was just insane, there is no reference like " he is lvl 70 so dont have many perks" vs "he is lvl 150 so he may be dangerous" kinda thing cuz now some lvl 150 had to spend 80 more points just to get their main 5 skills to lvl 10 and i used these points to buy other perks before b231.

also we now have to relog constantly just cuz recipes are corrupted as listed in the known issues. some of the perks also dont work all the time, like aiming speed, just depend if when i log in im lucky, if i relog 10 times maybe i get that one time where that perk work. you know all these things, expecially in pvp, aint great at all.

also we now have to relog constantly just cuz recipes are corrupted as listed in the known issues. some of the perks also dont work all the time, like aiming speed, just depend if when i log in im lucky, if i relog 10 times maybe i get that one time where that perk work. you know all these things, expecially in pvp, aint great at all.

This is only an issue when you have data stored from previous version. Wipe your data from the launcher options, and you shouldn't have this issue.

Known issues:

• Old game saves are corrupting recipes.xml in updated builds

Playing the game locally has the "bad version" mark in SP saves (like 16.4 are marked with red), it should be pretty trivial to prevent a load from save for individual builds as well (just add matching that parameter also). This should be the limit of TFP's responsibility, though. If someone hacks a save game to try to force it, that's on them now. They should be under no additional obligation to ensure that server admins "do their job". That's up to the server admin. Any "stigma" is absurd in these cases, because it's known to need to happen. Any player that whines is out of line.

TFP should absolutely not be deleting player data on player devices (as opposed to game files, which are TFP's stuff, though I still grouse about that happening when I don't want it to). I for one would be extremely angry if TFP decided to wipe prior savegames, because I possess the ability to go back in versions and play them again. This includes the half dozen MP dedi games sitting on my server.

TFP should absolutely not be deleting player data on player devices (as opposed to game files, which are TFP's stuff, though I still grouse about that happening when I don't want it to). I for one would be extremely angry if TFP decided to wipe prior savegames, because I possess the ability to go back in versions and play them again. This includes the half dozen MP dedi games sitting on my server.

Yeah I think I agree with this.

I agree with it too, but I don't think deleting player files would even be on the table. I was suggesting that it might be done as a matter of compatibility. In other words, once the server updates 7D2D to the latest experimental release, the game started in the previous release would not launch under the latest release. And to be clear, per the opening post, the topic is EXPERIMENTAL ONLY--as far as Steam knows experimental is a single version of the game that updates periodically--the only way to hold onto any version of experimental is to either duplicate the installation folder (so that Steam won't touch it), or to turn off updates.

The alternative of course, in this hypothetical topic, is not to change a thing, and for server ops to either make the determination to reset proactively, or wait for players to report anomalies which are somehow determined to be a result of version incompatibility instead of experimental bugs. In the interest of the experimental process, if I were TFP, I would see the former as a clear choice. What I would probably do is create a flag in the file indicating compatibility, allowing me as the developer to optionally make the determination that version x.xxx games are safe to be loaded with version x.xxx, x.xxx, ... I may also prompt the player thereafter, occasionally, to remove saves not compatible with the current version, in order to clear up hard drive space.

if you don't like how the admin is running that server and want it wiped more often, then isnt the real answer to get your own server or just find another server that wipes more often?

Also, servers are cheap and not that hard to setup. Even if it is for you and few friends. I have one for my stream. I don't even start the server unless I'm playing at the time.

ditto .. us too but for some reason i now cannot find the config file to make it to our settings ... not sure if it moved or its not an option any longer... ideas or help please for its location ..

thanks again in advance

jae

I had to create a config folder and then take the serverconfig.xml and move it to said folder. the serverconfig.xml was in the main startup folder in my file manager.

I use bluefang for my server, so not sure if this helps you.

I told all my friends to wait for the stable version, I already work on the server so it can be ready for stable release, I don't see any reason why ppl which can't wait for a stable version can be so disappointed when bugs occur or a server has to wipe/reset. Screw those ppl.

Archived