can you build your base in the hospital?

ElCabong

Once I put my bed roll down, are Zed's going to spawn in the hospital anyway? It's very big and I'm not sure how large the area is.

I think if it's smaller then 36 blocks u r safe its most like tge size of a land claim block or I could be that the land claim block is the thing that stops zombies from spawning Now or both.

15 blocks out in every direction so 31x31 square for bedroll protection. Land Claim Blocks offer no protection from spawning. The hospital is a good base but there will be sleepers in areas not within that 31x31 area. And I do not recommend doing anything that will attract screamers like forging, crafting, etc... because you'll get swarmed by screamer horde after screamer horde and they'll eventually tear down your hospital if you don't find them and take them out. Set up a nice base in the hospital and dig a hole to bedrock nearby for all your high heatmap generating activities.

I'm not sure the Hospital is a great place to set up camp.

Maybe a couple days if you haven't found anything but that place it too big with too many entrances.

Better to find something small.

That way the outside can have a few spikes to protect it and you're not spending a ton of wood on upkeep.

Personally I prefer to just build.

7x7 wood with 5 pillars to hold it up.

[Gives you a 5x5 area to put stuff in. More than enough for everything.]

Some spikes around the pillars and Bob's your uncle.

Also I'm not sure your safe area covers the parking lot and entire hospital.

Might have a few spawning in.

Let us know how it goes.

I use the burger joint, hollow out one of the tops and put iron bars in, and gut the building so the Z's just walk through. Got a nice ramp, so I can park my mini-bike on the other side that I'm defending with spikes and barbed wire around the ground level.

Then if you need / want to you can expand your coverage and even build up some.

Technically speaking, any place can be remade into a base. The bedroll protection only protects you in a 31x31 square but you can go further by actually replacing all the floor blocks with player made ones. I looked through the config files and player placed blocks do not allow zombies to spawn on it.

In my previous playthrough, I've also experimented by creating an entire mini-fort courtyard and replaced all the ground blocks with reinforced concrete. No zombies spawned within the walls ever.

That said though, its alot easier to defend and maintain a base with a smaller footprint. I just restarted a new game a few days ago and am already considering just remodelling a Ranger Station POI to be my new base.

Technically speaking, any place can be remade into a base. The bedroll protection only protects you in a 31x31 square but you can go further by actually replacing all the floor blocks with player made ones. I looked through the config files and player placed blocks do not allow zombies to spawn on it.

Just got to say....

This is false.

Currently there are only three blocks that do not allow zeds to spawn on them, and two of those you cannot make. The remaining block is fertile farmland.

This myth has been debunked several times over.

Just got to say....

This is false.

Currently there are only three blocks that do not allow zeds to spawn on them, and two of those you cannot make. The remaining block is fertile farmland.

This myth has been debunked several times over.

Ah my mistake. I did remember seeing that code before so likely I had mis-remembered. Just checked through the config files again and indeed only 3 block types do not allow Zeds to spawn on them.

Still though, I did create a fort that was larger than 31x31 and had no instances of Zeds spawning within. Granted it was in SP and not MP so there might be an effect.

Archived