[MOD] Friendly Animals - Friendly animals united against the zombie hordes!

Swiftpaw

I've confirmed this update doesn't break FA, so that much is good!

Update last night. Let's see what it's done... Seems like it's a lot rougher now food wise.

This is a new setting for players:

<passive_effect name="TreasureRadius" operation="base_set" value="9"/>

That might be just a new way for modifying how lucky a player is at finding items. If so, then if items are more rare now because of it, they may end up adjusting it later if items are now too rare.

Well, there was the "warmed by a fire" buff triggered by campfires and forges...

Great point, totally forgot about that! I'll add that to my list of things to look at implementing, because having a buff when near friendlies I think would make the mod better and more fun! It's already great to have their help, you can run to them if needed, but that's more for early game. However, if you got a buff that added to your damage output or speed or whatever, that'd give an even better reason to want to be near them when fighting hordes even in late game.

Great point, totally forgot about that! I'll add that to my list of things to look at implementing, because having a buff when near friendlies I think would make the mod better and more fun! It's already great to have their help, you can run to them if needed, but that's more for early game. However, if you got a buff that added to your damage output or speed or whatever, that'd give an even better reason to want to be near them when fighting hordes even in late game.

i totally agree. late game you just keep them around for company but a buff would be awesome

Any thoughts about wolf and bear rarity? Let me guess, far too rare sometimes? I'm pretty sure some biomes have zero wolf and bear spawning in them. While spawning them could be more rare if certain biomes are supposed to be generally more difficult than others, I don't think it should be zero. Otherwise, you'd just flat out never want to build a fortification in those biomes. I don't think that's a good idea for player choice, so I think adding some spawning chance even in biomes like the burnt biome would be a good idea.

So adjusting spawning.xml is definitely on the list for 2.6 along with looking into buffs and sounds/distractions to call them if I can figure that out.

i totally agree. late game you just keep them around for company but a buff would be awesome

Yep, they still of course help and provide company so it's not like there's no reason to be thankful for them being near in late game, but a buff too would definitely increase that helpfulness. Speed buffs would stack on existing player running abilities, and damage buffs would stack on existing player DPS, making the buff's importance greater and greater as the game progresses. If it was REALLY strong, that would radically change the dynamics of the game and require game re-balancing in other areas as well as making the ability to call them even more important. Otherwise, you'd have to just get lucky or find a way to lure them by luring zombies and using the zombies to lure them, lol, something you might actually want to spend time doing if the buff was that powerful.

Fun things to think about! :3

Yep, they still of course help and provide company so it's not like there's no reason to be thankful for them being near in late game, but a buff too would definitely increase that helpfulness. Speed buffs would stack on existing player running abilities, and damage buffs would stack on existing player DPS, making the buff's importance greater and greater as the game progresses. If it was REALLY strong, that would radically change the dynamics of the game and require game re-balancing in other areas as well as making the ability to call them even more important. Otherwise, you'd have to just get lucky or find a way to lure them by luring zombies and using the zombies to lure them, lol, something you might actually want to spend time doing if the buff was that powerful.

Fun things to think about! :3

Well to me-they're now a "must have" as they are, but anything you could do that would make them more of a companion would be all plus's in my book. Even late game when you are able to handle most things-it's nice to have them watching your back/guarding. Buffs would make it even better. i "call" them to me anyways by spawning them in so the ability to do that without "cheating" would make my day :) as far as their rarity-i'm not sure about now because i haven't actually been able to play yet. The new biome distribution has had me frustrated trying to find a map i like. But before this last update-i rarely saw them "in the wild".

Wonder if there is a way to make it so when in radius, they run up to you and follow. But would need to limit that to 1 friendly at a time if adding the buffs. Also, i hope the mods work now for B233... in B231, every mod would break my game. I'd have 0 stam regen, running wouldn't use stam, only attacks, and all my slots were considered encumbered... hopefully that's fixed :/

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there's a buffs.xml somewhere. i'm sure you can make a buff there, then attach it to a friendly like you would attach the charismatic buff to yourself (the one from the perks). See how that one is attached, then do that to friendlies. It should then give them that buff. That once you get in range, it gives that buff to others.

Friendly Animals 2.6 released!

Change Log:

2.6:

* There is now a chance for friendlies to spawn in all biomes using the biome spawner, just like in FA 1.x. They're the most common in forests, but still have a chance at spawning in harsher biomes.

This will take care of friendly animals potentially being non-existent for now. Now, they have a chance of spawning anywhere, so that should make the mod more lively. It's implemented almost exactly like in FA 1.x.

Tried implementing AOE buffs but so far I'm not having any luck. I wasn't able to get any object besides campfires, forges, etc to give the buffCampfireAOE buff, including blocks, let alone entities. It might be something to do with the on/off state of campfires. I didn't see anything to indicate that and maybe that particular buff needs that "on" state before working. Still need to play with things more to hopefully figure it out.

Friendly Animals 2.6 released!

Change Log:

2.6:

* There is now a chance for friendlies to spawn in all biomes using the biome spawner, just like in FA 1.x. They're the most common in forests, but still have a chance at spawning in harsher biomes.

This will take care of friendly animals potentially being non-existent for now. Now, they have a chance of spawning anywhere, so that should make the mod more lively. It's implemented almost exactly like in FA 1.x.

Tried implementing AOE buffs but so far I'm not having any luck. I wasn't able to get any object besides campfires, forges, etc to give the buffCampfireAOE buff, including blocks, let alone entities. It might be something to do with the on/off state of campfires. I didn't see anything to indicate that and maybe that particular buff needs that "on" state before working. Still need to play with things more to hopefully figure it out.

Check how the Charismatic Nature perk works, since that one has to do with entities. Maybe buffs are dealt with differently based on blocks vs entities. I could see that being a thing. Since the perk doesn't have an on/off state, well, other than once you get it, it makes it "true" so turns it on... maybe you could just make it a perk like "Animal Buffs", then each level unlocks new buffs like that Charismatic Nature works. That way it has the on/off system. Then level 1 gives you movement speed nearby, lvl 2 gives attr buff, etc.

Check how the Charismatic Nature perk works, since that one has to do with entities. Maybe buffs are dealt with differently based on blocks vs entities. I could see that being a thing. Since the perk doesn't have an on/off state, well, other than once you get it, it makes it "true" so turns it on... maybe you could just make it a perk like "Animal Buffs", then each level unlocks new buffs like that Charismatic Nature works. That way it has the on/off system. Then level 1 gives you movement speed nearby, lvl 2 gives attr buff, etc.

ohhh-yeah! that seems like its a possibility. seems logical anyways. and that would be perfect. you could even tie it in to charismatic nature so you gotta work at getting points for it to get benefits. i like that idea

Thanks, yeah I see there is an AOE aspect to it. I'll take a look!

Oh, btw, how did you add the names for the animals? I'm thinking of doing that with all animals. Attach them to "The Huntsman". lvl 1, can also see rabbits. lvl 3, can see deer. lvl 5, can see zombie dogs. Of course zombie bears can be the 6th, but make that like lvl 6 and lock it behind say lvl 150. Since "The Huntsman" seems like it would also mean I can start tracking animals, it adds basically "tracking of animals" to it also...

• 1 month later...
Oh, btw, how did you add the names for the animals? I'm thinking of doing that with all animals. Attach them to "The Huntsman". lvl 1, can also see rabbits. lvl 3, can see deer. lvl 5, can see zombie dogs. Of course zombie bears can be the 6th, but make that like lvl 6 and lock it behind say lvl 150. Since "The Huntsman" seems like it would also mean I can start tracking animals, it adds basically "tracking of animals" to it also...

I don't remember which attribute it was. Might be

<property name="Prefab" value="NPC"/>

?

Would have to compare with vanilla to find out. I still need to get around to looking at air drops to see if there is a way to have entities show up on your compass.

Friendly Animals 2.7 released!

Change Log:

2.7:

* Added alternate compatibility version which doesn't contain friendly map naming (friendly animals will still appear on the map), but which has improved compatibility with other mods. See installation instructions for more info.

* Added new "entity" tag to align with A17.1 b9 stable.

* Added compatibility with "Darkness Falls" mod

• 2 weeks later...

You probably don't want to swap out animalBear for animalZombieBear under GuardsFemale for Darkness Falls.

That's an entitygroup I was using for SDX patch testing. ;)

I'd also consider NOT adding them to the Wasteland biome. The point of the mod is that is supposed to be a very, very dangerous place.

You probably don't want to swap out animalBear for animalZombieBear under GuardsFemale for Darkness Falls.

That's an entitygroup I was using for SDX patch testing. ;)

Well it needed to be renamed from animalBear, which is now an invalid entity class name due to the friendly name change so that it shows as Bear on your map rather than animalBear, to a valid one, either Bear or animalZombieBear as it was causing the game to be unplayable when using both mods as Myrrah reported here. Or are you saying that the GuardsFemale group should be friendly to the player instead of hostile, so should be Bear/animalBear rather than animalZombieBear? ^n.n^

Is it possible to make them not despawn if they're within a player claim zone? We managed to trap a wolf in our house to keep as a pet, but unfortunately she despawned when none of us were close enough.

That's an interesting problem. I think the issue is any entities who get spawned using the biome spawner aren't saved, but I think anyone spawned by the entity spawner instead does get saved. The problem is that I don't know how to trigger entity spawner events besides when using creative mode where you can select either the biome spawner or entity spawner to spawn an entity if I'm remembering right. If you look at spawning.xml you'll see entity spawning on various days for spawning various wandering zombie hordes, and you also have POI entity spawners. I assume to have friendly animals not vanish, they'd have to be either POI or day spawned. You'll notice there is a WolfGroup and WolfPack called by the day spawners, and I swear I've seen this happen before where we got a wolf pack spawning around our den on one day and they actually were around for long enough that they helped out with the 7 day horde that came a few days later.

So, best bet would be trying to figure out how to control the day spawners to do what you wanted them to do, and as often as you wanted them to do it. I assume all of those will always be around the player, though, so you'd still want the random biome spawning friendly animals for when you're running around elsewhere.

That's an interesting problem. I think the issue is any entities who get spawned using the biome spawner aren't saved, but I think anyone spawned by the entity spawner instead does get saved. The problem is that I don't know how to trigger entity spawner events besides when using creative mode where you can select either the biome spawner or entity spawner to spawn an entity if I'm remembering right. If you look at spawning.xml you'll see entity spawning on various days for spawning various wandering zombie hordes, and you also have POI entity spawners. I assume to have friendly animals not vanish, they'd have to be either POI or day spawned. You'll notice there is a WolfGroup and WolfPack called by the day spawners, and I swear I've seen this happen before where we got a wolf pack spawning around our den on one day and they actually were around for long enough that they helped out with the 7 day horde that came a few days later.

So, best bet would be trying to figure out how to control the day spawners to do what you wanted them to do, and as often as you wanted them to do it. I assume all of those will always be around the player, though, so you'd still want the random biome spawning friendly animals for when you're running around elsewhere.

That's helpful, thank you! I looked it up and there does seem to be a console command you can use to spawn in an entity. That will make getting one inside again much easier and we can just spawn it in again if we lose it.

Well it needed to be renamed from animalBear, which is now an invalid entity class name due to the friendly name change so that it shows as Bear on your map rather than animalBear, to a valid one, either Bear or animalZombieBear as it was causing the game to be unplayable when using both mods as Myrrah reported here. Or are you saying that the GuardsFemale group should be friendly to the player instead of hostile, so should be Bear/animalBear rather than animalZombieBear? ^n.n^

GuardFemale would be friendly to the player unless they're stupid enough to shoot a woman carrying an AR15. :p

When I finish working on it, that is.

Would it be possible to make chickens not run from players and not jump as high? It would make our chicken coop work much nicer!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27503[/ATTACH]

That's definitely possible yes, in fact I could make it so all non-zombies don't flee from players and only from zombies. You could even give them a zillion hitpoints too if you wanted them to be safe as well. All you'd have to do is in FA v2.7's entityclasses.xml file change:

<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalTemplateTimid']">
	<property name="EntityType" value="Animal"/>
   	<property name="AITask-1" value="Swim"/>
   	<property name="AITask-2" value="RunawayWhenHurt"/>
   	<property name="AITask-3" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityPlayer"/>
   	<property name="AITask-4" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityZombie"/>
   	<property name="AITask-5" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityVulture"/>
    <property name="AITask-6" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityZombieDog"/>
   	<property name="AITask-7" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityEnemyAnimal"/>
   	<property name="AITask-8" value="Look"/>
   	<property name="AITask-9" value="Wander"/>
</append>

to:

<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalTemplateTimid']">
	<property name="EntityType" value="Animal"/>
   	<property name="AITask-3" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityZombie"/>
   	<property name="AITask-4" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityVulture"/>
<property name="AITask-5" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityZombieDog"/>
   	<property name="AITask-6" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityEnemyAnimal"/>
   	<property name="AITask-7" value="Look"/>
   	<property name="AITask-8" value="Wander"/>
</append>

Or you could only do it for chickens by changing:

<!-- animalChicken -->
<remove xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalChicken']/property[@name='Parent']"/>
<remove xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalChicken']/property[@name='Faction']"/>
<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalChicken']">
	<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceAnimalFat" tag="butcherHarvest" count="1"/>
</append>

to

<!-- animalChicken -->
<remove xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalChicken']/property[@name='Parent']"/>
<remove xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalChicken']/property[@name='Faction']"/>
<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='animalChicken']">
	<property name="AITask-3" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityZombie"/>
 	<property name="AITask-4" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityVulture"/>
	<property name="AITask-5" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityZombieDog"/>
	<property name="AITask-6" value="RunawayFromEntity" param1="EntityEnemyAnimal"/>
	<property name="AITask-7" value="Look"/>
	<property name="AITask-8" value="Wander"/>
	<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceAnimalFat" tag="butcherHarvest" count="1"/>
</append>

Archived