[MOD] Friendly Animals - Friendly animals united against the zombie hordes!

Swiftpaw

Okay, that makes sense. So it's like most mods. I've seen some where they are actually separate files. And that may be why I didn't play WotW, I remember reading something about the bugs and was like, nope, don't have the patience. I've yet to find any bug in Valmod, lol. Though it is one of the simpler mods out there.

Cool, will give it a try, thanks for the recommendation! ^n.n^

• 4 weeks later...

Friendly Animals v2.0 released for A17!

I'm not using the xpath feature yet as that will require a lot more work as you have to specify every change you make to the base files, and I've made quite a few changes.

The spawning.xml file hasn't been done yet, so all spawning is default for A17. This will come in a future version.

Lol, I've yet to look into the files to see how they've changed. Having too much fun with vanilla finally, haha. Sadly, so far, the only meat I've got is from wolves that have been attacking my base, haven't seen any other animals yet x.x... it's made me really sad, but sadly, it's only way I've been living :(... And it's day 4... so if that says anything

Lol, I've yet to look into the files to see how they've changed. Having too much fun with vanilla finally, haha. Sadly, so far, the only meat I've got is from wolves that have been attacking my base, haven't seen any other animals yet x.x... it's made me really sad, but sadly, it's only way I've been living :(... And it's day 4... so if that says anything

Food has been a bit scarce for us but not too bad so far. No issue with wolf brothers yet but this mod certainly makes so that's not an issue obviously and we'll be playing with it over the next few days. Try it out, please! We did discuss perhaps adding alternative sources of fresh meat and that's an interesting idea, but where? You could add them to loot containers to be a random drop that is more common. You could also add a chance to find raw meat instead of rotting flesh on zombies. I did double the amount of fresh meat from chickens, since Foxie hates chickens, lol. But yes, if there is a game balancing issue, re-balancing it is definitely within the scope of this mod so suggestions are welcome!

The coolest way would be to be able to "create" a wolf like you can vehicles. Say you need a collar (for name), iron (for armor/claws), fresh meat, animal hide, etc. to craft a wolf. Then have it follow you around and only have it target and attack when you attack (for now for simplicity, then can add stuff such as guarding a base, patrol, etc.) Then for animals, remove wolf as a spawned animal or lower the chances of one spawning (I know there was some issues with A16.4, hopefully easier now for A17E) that way other food sources are spawned instead.

The coolest way would be to be able to "create" a wolf like you can vehicles. Say you need a collar (for name), iron (for armor/claws), fresh meat, animal hide, etc. to craft a wolf. Then have it follow you around and only have it target and attack when you attack (for now for simplicity, then can add stuff such as guarding a base, patrol, etc.) Then for animals, remove wolf as a spawned animal or lower the chances of one spawning (I know there was some issues with A16.4, hopefully easier now for A17E) that way other food sources are spawned instead.

I'm starting off simple until learning more complex stuff like that, but is an interesting idea! It was pretty awesome, there's a new "investigate noise" task which is what makes zombies come towards a noise and investigate it, and giving that to the wolves made them follow me around. It was pretty cool! Unfortunately they stay RIGHT next to you at all times instead of a little ways off so I could see how they could get in the way. Plus, would make the game too easy, lol. But it was still neat!

As for spawning more of X, that's very simple to do, once I roll out the spawning.xml updates in the next version or two.

hmmm, you could even have the wolf as a "roaming backpack" even if you don't get the attacking done. Just have him follow, not fight, but be like an inventory like a vehicle. But still "craft" it. That may be the best way to start it. That way you don't have to worry about stats, just a wolf following you and being able to be used as inventory.

hmmm, you could even have the wolf as a "roaming backpack" even if you don't get the attacking done. Just have him follow, not fight, but be like an inventory like a vehicle. But still "craft" it. That may be the best way to start it. That way you don't have to worry about stats, just a wolf following you and being able to be used as inventory.

Make a special woof call ^n.n^

But yeah all that's much more NPC/RPG-like and advanced, but hopefully doable once I can learn those advanced topics.

For now, spawning modification!

And also the xpath thing.

Make a special woof call ^n.n^

But yeah all that's much more NPC/RPG-like and advanced, but hopefully doable once I can learn those advanced topics.

For now, spawning modification!

And also the xpath thing.

I know recipes and how they work, I can easily do that. Linking it as an inventory, I'd just have to look at a chest and see how they did that, and how to create new I'd names.

Version 2.2 for A17-E b199 released. Just an update to incorporate the new changes in A17-E.

I'll try it out once it seems the builds slow down and I have a better grasp of the new release. Finally got to the farm and found 3 pigs. Was so freaking happy, sitting on 81 raw meat atm, looking for eggs now for Bacon and Eggs. That stuff is wonderful, no water, 5 meat, 2 eggs, and lots of food from even one. Hope they don't change that up, lol.

Nice, I'll probably try it out the next build. Mainly have a little more to figure out, then I'll be up for modding. Thankfully I've found places with lots of meat now, so by making things friendly, I won't be hurting, lol. May need to increase egg drop rate? hmmm, cause I hate spending a full in game day looting bird nests for maybe 20 eggs... I feel like that's a lot of wasted time after going through 10 square kilometers of bird nests.

FA 2.4 released using xpaths! This version should be compatible with all versions of A17, and will most likely not ever need to change for new releases of A17. This also will make it compatible with most mods! Be sure to read the new installation instructions including the warning for reverting your current configs back to vanilla!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, I'll probably try it out the next build. Mainly have a little more to figure out, then I'll be up for modding. Thankfully I've found places with lots of meat now, so by making things friendly, I won't be hurting, lol. May need to increase egg drop rate? hmmm, cause I hate spending a full in game day looting bird nests for maybe 20 eggs... I feel like that's a lot of wasted time after going through 10 square kilometers of bird nests.

I have another mod that makes human zombie bodies harvestable again. I'll be uploading it at some point!

I have another mod that makes human zombie bodies harvestable again. I'll be uploading it at some point!

That may be a hit or miss for me, I actually like that they aren't harvestable, gets rid of all the wasted time, lol. I find enough animal gore to get bones now. Not to mention found places with large amounts of boars for tallow,

• 2 weeks later...

i installed this mod and i absolutely. love. it! i don't really ever want to play 7d2d without it again :p but i noticed you said that these used to be followers but the ability to make them such was removed from the game :( i am kicking myself for not having seen this mod before-when that was possible. i can't tell you how many times i have wished there was a way to turn the animals into followers. i always winced everytime i had to kill a wolf pack-wishing i could befriend them :)

so there is no possibility remaining in game for them to be followers again? i noticed they do sort of follow you around if you don't go too fast. they sort of meander your direction all the time. Whatever makes them do that seems like it should be able to be increased so that they actually go with you(?)

edit-i guess that would be problematic since then you'd end up with every animal you came across following you all over everywhere-lol

once it becomes stable, we'll probably look, or at least Swift (my job is so sporadic I don't have much extra time else I'd love to help), into having at least one follow you. I believe the code is still there to make it work, it'll just take some digging into. Basically a wolf that can carry things for you. And probably be able to make him run following vehicles since wolves are known for long distance running and all. so double the inventory for that time, lol. The attacking and all will be the difficult part, so he just doesn't attack everything in a POI, haha.

once it becomes stable, we'll probably look, or at least Swift (my job is so sporadic I don't have much extra time else I'd love to help), into having at least one follow you. I believe the code is still there to make it work, it'll just take some digging into. Basically a wolf that can carry things for you. And probably be able to make him run following vehicles since wolves are known for long distance running and all. so double the inventory for that time, lol. The attacking and all will be the difficult part, so he just doesn't attack everything in a POI, haha.

this would be so amazing. i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed :D

i installed this mod and i absolutely. love. it! i don't really ever want to play 7d2d without it again :p but i noticed you said that these used to be followers but the ability to make them such was removed from the game :( i am kicking myself for not having seen this mod before-when that was possible. i can't tell you how many times i have wished there was a way to turn the animals into followers. i always winced everytime i had to kill a wolf pack-wishing i could befriend them :)

so there is no possibility remaining in game for them to be followers again? i noticed they do sort of follow you around if you don't go too fast. they sort of meander your direction all the time. Whatever makes them do that seems like it should be able to be increased so that they actually go with you(?)

edit-i guess that would be problematic since then you'd end up with every animal you came across following you all over everywhere-lol

Glad you like it! <3

As for making them follow you, I'd have to figure out what the best method for doing that would be. If you look in 7DtD/Data/Config/entityclasses.xml you'll see the entity_class property "AITask" of "ApproachDistraction". This makes entities investigate sounds, or at least sounds created by the player. What this does if given to wolves for example is make them run towards you as soon as they hear your footsteps, and since they can run fast, they stay right up against you the whole time (unless you sneak away somehow). One solution would be to make them walk slower, but if they were slower than zombies including zombie bears or zombie dogs then they wouldn't be able to help attack them unless they were standing still. Unfortunately, there are no places where "ApproachDistraction" is used with parameters that might help decrease the constant seeking of your footsteps other than making them not hear you from as far away (if that is even moddable, and I'm not entirely sure if it is at the moment). Unfortunately having them practically right on you at all times felt pretty game breaking, so I removed it, lol.

If there was a way to use a specific item to make a specific type or sound, or just a special trigger of some sort, then you could call them to you, but I'm not aware of how to do that (yet).

As for them wantering around, if you look you'll see some like these:

<property name="AITask-3" value="Territorial"/>
       	<property name="AITask-5" value="ApproachSpot"/>
       	<property name="AITask-6" value="Look"/>
       	<property name="AITask-7" value="Wander"/>

I assume "territorial" and "wander" means they wander around but stay in the same area generally, which is what they are set to currently, but could be slowly lured away somewhat by roaming zombies. I think this gives the mod a fairly nice and balanced gameplay. You just have to get lucky currently, or go seeking them out for help if you have a big horde you want help with. You have to get even luckier to have them help you out with a blood moon horde. But even if you were able to call them over for a blood moon horde, they wouldn't be helping you out a LOT, especially as the hordes got harder, but they're still definitely helpful!

OMG... what if you made a wolf like a vehicle and was able to ride one... hahahahaha.

Then when you get off, have him follow you.

....that could actually work, then his "fuel" is raw meat... ummmm

Sadly it doesn't seem like the game is very moddable, so I doubt you'd be able to do that. For example, I posted this thread:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?98894-Way-to-let-players-to-choose-non-human-models-Play-as-wolves-bears-etc

And the only response so far is saying that it's impossible to even use the wolf and other existing models/meshes/textures in place of a player character model. If you can't even do that, I highly doubt it's possible to utilize the wolf model for "vehicles" either. In other words, it doesn't appear that there is a way to mix the models between different types of entities together.

Not completely sure if this is actually the case, though. There are ways to edit the existing assets, since there are mod packs that add completely new textures at least, if not new models too, at least for blocks. If that's the case, then you'd think it'd be matter of doing the same thing for players and vehicles, you'd just have to edit or add new player and vehicle models.

Sadly it doesn't seem like the game is very moddable, so I doubt you'd be able to do that. For example, I posted this thread:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?98894-Way-to-let-players-to-choose-non-human-models-Play-as-wolves-bears-etc

And the only response so far is saying that it's impossible to even use the wolf and other existing models/meshes/textures in place of a player character model. If you can't even do that, I highly doubt it's possible to utilize the wolf model for "vehicles" either. In other words, it doesn't appear that there is a way to mix the models between different types of entities together.

Not completely sure if this is actually the case, though. There are ways to edit the existing assets, since there are mod packs that add completely new textures at least, if not new models too, at least for blocks. If that's the case, then you'd think it'd be matter of doing the same thing for players and vehicles, you'd just have to edit or add new player and vehicle models.

Hmmm, I figured there'd be a way. When I played Valmod in A16.4, I was able to play as zombie models. I didn't have to make them or anything, they popped up as defaults. And I know we're not considred blocks. Idk how they did any of that though, lol. Hmmmm. It may actually take going into Unity, making animations and all for a player, then adding it to the game somehow.

Well, if anything, can probably add it as a backpack of sorts? Or is that out since there is no more looting entities that you can't link opening inventory from an entity now?

Archived