[MOD] Friendly Animals - Friendly animals united against the zombie hordes!

Swiftpaw

Use gitlab.

It lets users download your project folders individually too. Downside is it can be a bit slow, but hey.

It's just a single zip file, so not a big deal, Mega works fine for now.

Can you make a version so they aren't invincible because certain quests wants you to kill animals :).

You can reject quests.

Friendly Animals 3.2 released!

Change Log:

3.2:

* Removed anti-friendly animal quests, so you won't get any useless quests anymore.

Upcoming features:

Fresh meat rebalancing.

Zombie tracking skill?

Friendly Animal compass feature returning?

We shall see! :)

A couple of points for people coming to comment in this thread.

Swiftpaw is in charge of Swiftpaw's own mod. You don't get to bully them into doing something they don't want to do, or out of doing something they do want to do. Secondly, as far as I'm aware, there is no established policy that one modder gets to approve which other mods are compatible with theirs.

Swiftpaw: This is your mod thread, so you get some latitude on how cut & dry versus open to wider commentary it is. You can just respond to suggestions by saying you weren't interested in implementing their suggestion. But if you go on to comment on what you consider moral or immoral, you effectively open the floor to debate on that point. Once you go there, you can't expect to be protected from a rebuttal just because it's your thread.

Finally, please everyone observe forum policy on meta-forum commentary (rule 21). Do not derail threads by getting into who broke what rule here. So just report posts or don't, without announcing or discussing the reporting. Other users will see if and when action is taken against them.

You should add a book to your mod that reads: A deer walks out of a bar. “Man, I can’t believe I just blew fifty bucks in there.”

That would be hot! :love_heart:

But for now I haven't put anything yiffy into the mod yet like that, but good idea. ^n.n^

There are lots of possible visions for the mod. I've considered renaming my mod Animals vs. Zombies, since that's essentially what it is. Everyone has enough food and can get along, it's just the zombies attacking everyone who is living that is the problem, so most non-zombies and zombies are fighting other than the more timid species who run away. "Friendly fire" is disabled via making non-player non-zombies invincible as well as helping them to be more helpful for when you're just starting out, as well as obviously not wanting them to die.

If I have time after Yiffmas, I'm wanting to look into making friendly non-timids always appear on your compass so you can more easily run to them for help if needed. I'm also wanting to try doing either:

A) Remove "Animal Tracking" or whatever it's called completely.

B) Make "Animal Tracking" be free or only cost 1 point, making the compass/map markers only show up after doing that.

C) Changing "Animal Tracking" to "Zombie Tracking" so that you can make zombies show up on your compass/map perhaps for when you want XP quickly.

I'm thinking of going with friendlies showing up on your compass/map by default since, again, they're most helpful when you're low level, as well as option C.

Oh, and I still need to rebalance meat to make sure enough fresh meat comes from zombies as well as rotten meat, just like zombie vultures and such drop fresh meat. All zombies should drop both fresh and rotten. I might even bring back human zombie corpse harvesting, but make the body timeout quick enough (or not even touch the timeout and leave it default as it is now) so as to not slow down the game much.

Oh, and I'm trying to find out if there's a way to make them path like zombies did or do still and walk around spikes (pretty sure they do avoid them unless there is no way to walk around), or even run away from them if it's possible to have entities run away from blocks. That way you can make traps along the outside of your den and not worry about them being accidentally walked on by friendlies.

That would be hot! :love_heart:

But for now I haven't put anything yiffy into the mod yet like that, but good idea. ^n.n^

There are lots of possible visions for the mod. I've considered renaming my mod Animals vs. Zombies, since that's essentially what it is. Everyone has enough food and can get along, it's just the zombies attacking everyone who is living that is the problem, so most non-zombies and zombies are fighting other than the more timid species who run away. "Friendly fire" is disabled via making non-player non-zombies invincible as well as helping them to be more helpful for when you're just starting out, as well as obviously not wanting them to die.

If I have time after Yiffmas, I'm wanting to look into making friendly non-timids always appear on your compass so you can more easily run to them for help if needed. I'm also wanting to try doing either:

A) Remove "Animal Tracking" or whatever it's called completely.

B) Make "Animal Tracking" be free or only cost 1 point, making the compass/map markers only show up after doing that.

C) Changing "Animal Tracking" to "Zombie Tracking" so that you can make zombies show up on your compass/map perhaps for when you want XP quickly.

I'm thinking of going with friendlies showing up on your compass/map by default since, again, they're most helpful when you're low level, as well as option C.

Oh, and I still need to rebalance meat to make sure enough fresh meat comes from zombies as well as rotten meat, just like zombie vultures and such drop fresh meat. All zombies should drop both fresh and rotten. I might even bring back human zombie corpse harvesting, but make the body timeout quick enough (or not even touch the timeout and leave it default as it is now) so as to not slow down the game much.

Oh, and I'm trying to find out if there's a way to make them path like zombies did or do still and walk around spikes (pretty sure they do avoid them unless there is no way to walk around), or even run away from them if it's possible to have entities run away from blocks. That way you can make traps along the outside of your den and not worry about them being accidentally walked on by friendlies.

Man, sorry, I meant wolf, that's some unparalleled vision right there.

It's a shame they took out the follow code. Would be nice to have actual pets that you can have at your side, give commands etc.

Yep, the only follow code I'm aware of is "walk towards sound player made" which keeps them too close to you constantly as you walk, so is game-breaking, but is quite funny.

So Swiftpaw, can you make a grave marker for the event where an enemy (zombie) might kill a ally (A furred brethren) or are they invincible to zombies too???

Friendlies are invincible, period, there is no "selective invincibleness". It's right in the description:

<<< DESCRIPTION >>>

This mod makes coyotes, wolves, dire wolves, mountain lions, and bears fight zombies too along side you. They are invincible, so run to them for help fighting zombies and hordes!

Hehe, follow the sound player made. I could see myself running up on a skyscraper with some 100 wolves cause they kept following me :p. I'm down with B & C. Would find it cool to track zombies (maybe a way to not track sleeping zombies though to keep some scare in it) and always see living on map. Maybe tracking sleeping zombies could be like say top lvl of said perk so those of us that wouldn't want to see them wouldn't have to? Would be cool if the zombie tracking could be based on sound, like when a sound is made and you are close enough, then it pops up for a little bit then goes away as it's quiet? Hmmm, I could see that being crazy hard to do with this framework though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey swiftpaw, I really love the concept of this mod. Tameable animals to have as pets would be awesome, the follow command could easily be brought back via your mod only. I don't know much about the type of coding for this game, but when Im working with my mod for Don't Starve Together, there are things inside called 'widgets' and each widget tells a command what to do. I know tedious, but it may be the answer you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived