[MOD] Friendly Animals - Friendly animals united against the zombie hordes!

Swiftpaw

What you saw was the result of zombies seeking out EntityEnemyAnimal:

<property name="AITask-5" value="ApproachAndAttackTarget" data="class=EntityNPC,0,EntityEnemyAnimal,0,EntityPlayer,0"/> <!-- class,maxChaseTime (return home) -->

I can easily replicate that behavior where zombies seek FAs like that, but again as I mentioned earlier in the thread, that means all zombies in a horde seeking FAs instead of the player which is game breaking as that makes it too easy.

I could easily add more species to the game such as huskies if there is a mod out there which contains a husky entity. If that mod also had them spawning under special situations I could add that feature too if it fit properly with FA, but making them spawn randomly just like all other friendlies should be easy enough.

I've been curious since I saw a mod to summon a husky. Is it possible to have pets now?

• Maybe bear (go strength or fortitude, tanky), wolf (maybe for perception, avg stats), mountain lion (say agility cause stealthy, more atk, lower hp).
  • Have it like a perk, so start weak at rank 1, stronger at rank 5, maybe add bleed or stuff as well. Of course make it like a craft-able idea (quality 1-5).
    • I think it would be cool if you could have gear for it as well that could be crafted or found. I'd figure by making it work like mods would be best way for it to work.

[*]Maybe have it also be an inventory? If the pet dies, drop it's inventory in a bag for you to pick up, but you'd have to "craft" another.

[*]Only can use 1 at a time. So even though you can craft each kind, based on what you want to use at the time, once you use one, you can't use another till the other dies. This would be so you can't have tons to become op or to have more or less massive inventory

[*]Probably have it only attack something if you get hit, if you hit something, or if it gets hit, then it goes into an "attack" mode then just back to your side in a "passive" mode

This would just be the simplist way to do it. I would like more in-depth, but even this would be crazy and cool to have.

You could do something like that yes. You can summon/spawn entities. I'm sure you could do it with a buff or item or like the HighHope Husky Friend Pet mod does makes them spawn from a quest. However, there is no new husky model as you'll see if you download it, they just summon a dire wolf.

As for a mod that would summon friendlies if you level up or maybe a certain skill/perk or whatnot would give you that ability, yeah that'd be cool I think. I think I'd have that be a side option or different mod, though. I'd probably like it to be a perk, and since you can't "cast spells" or use an ability off of a perk that you gain, my guess is you'd either need it to be a buff that would spawn a friendly now and then, or the ability to craft an item that would give you a buff and cause a spawn.

As for inventory, that'd require making them be an NPC I would imagine as I don't think there are clickable traits defined in entityclasses, so I don't know how easy to mod that would be.

As for staying by your side, no such logic exists to my knowledge so again not sure easy to mod that would be.

I can only mod what the game allows, so unless there are examples of that out there or some way to do it, you got me. HuskyPet just spawns a friendly wolf after you fulfil a "quest", that's it. Certainly cool though and something to perhaps include as an ability or something as an optional feature.

That's what I was thinking... so maybe it can be a perk, make it basically placed down like a bike or some such, then guard a certain area. could it basically just stay in a spot, if something comes within a 10 block range, it goes to attack, then after it is done, go back to where it was placed? have a bear that basically like a guardian for defense, wolf to do damage in said area as bear tanks the zombies (zombies go after bear as a higher priority), etc. I think that'd be an awesome "side pack" to go with this, hehe. Guard Pets for now. then expand as stuff changes.

as for the husky, I figured it was a wolf, they just called the mod that so I kept saying that for an easy find if went searching for it again :p. the wolf is better, personally, hehe. Btw, if I somehow get you the changes I did for wolves only as friends, could you help me with it... it keeps saying it can't find "extends animalWolf", so I'm a bit confused, lol. It looks correct though, and I made sure to not comment out anything that pertained to that, or at least I thought I did...

Also, since you have dug into this a lot more over the months than I've been able to :p, what does this mean "InvalidOperationException: Cannot call Invoke or BeginInvoke on a control until the window handle is created"... it randomly popped up on my startDedicatedServer.bat... frustrating

BTW, can you make these things know to not run into spikes... a wolf literally is just walking into them and destroyed about 100 of my spikes I had set up for zombies... screwed me over bad... they actually are targeting the spikes...

update:: so i got around it by building a wall around my spikes. at least they don't target walls, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been asked already, but do you have the knowledge of making a separate modlet that allows animals such as coyotes, wolves, and possibly dire wolves to be tamed, and then be able have them follow you and not despawn? Not sure how difficult this would be, but I'm sure there are multiple people who'd love to see this.

Not sure if this has been asked already, but do you have the knowledge of making a separate modlet that allows animals such as coyotes, wolves, and possibly dire wolves to be tamed, and then be able have them follow you and not despawn? Not sure how difficult this would be, but I'm sure there are multiple people who'd love to see this.

The follow code was removed a16 unfortunately. Dmt it would be possible but vanilla not so until tfp add npcs and bandits etc.

Making friendly animals is the best that vanilla can do atm. Where they won't attack you but attack other enemies of yours.

The follow code was removed a16 unfortunately. Dmt it would be possible but vanilla not so until tfp add npcs and bandits etc.

Making friendly animals is the best that vanilla can do atm. Where they won't attack you but attack other enemies of yours.

Well I'm not sure if SDX adds code to the game, so maybe that's an option. But there was code that allowed for tamable animals in A16? For what and why, if you know?

Well I'm not sure if SDX adds code to the game, so maybe that's an option. But there was code that allowed for tamable animals in A16? For what and why, if you know?

Yeh there was code I made bandits using that code and animal followers and human followers lol as did swiftpaw for the animals. But when a16 dropped tfp wiped all code needed for making them be able to follow you etc. You can still make em spawn but bandits sit there looking stupid animals attack other enemies not you. But as for following it's a no go.

It can be done with sdx/dmt 100% as it has been done by xyth with his npc mod. Sdx/dmt injects code into the dll so for sure it can add code that's not there. But vanilla dll it def isn't.

Yeh there was code I made bandits using that code and animal followers and human followers lol as did swiftpaw for the animals. But when a16 dropped tfp wiped all code needed for making them be able to follow you etc. You can still make em spawn but bandits sit there looking stupid animals attack other enemies not you. But as for following it's a no go.

It can be done with sdx/dmt 100% as it has been done by xyth with his npc mod. Sdx/dmt injects code into the dll so for sure it can add code that's not there. But vanilla dll it def isn't.

Hmm, maybe Xyth could do something with his code. Thanks though, I kind of guessed that code was used with Banidts.

So until following code is implemented in vanilla, a FA mod with following would have to be built on top of those other mods, or someone would have to just extract only the needed code from those other mods to create a stand-alone FA mod with following.

Spawning code is much simpler and should be doable in vanilla, though. I tried to see if I could code a cooldown timer for a buff which could be triggered and would allow the spawning of a friendly animal to join you and fight along side you. It could even be like summoning in World of Warcraft. It could be spawning from using an item and/or from a skill, or you could use the skill to craft the item which could spawn one, etc. That could be a really neat addition as perhaps an optional companion mod or something, but sadly I wasn't able to figure out the code to actually spawn the entity even when looking at similar code from other mods. The only thing I found was a quest spawning an entity, but wasn't able to figure out how to do that from a buff or item.

So until following code is implemented in vanilla, a FA mod with following would have to be built on top of those other mods, or someone would have to just extract only the needed code from those other mods to create a stand-alone FA mod with following.

Spawning code is much simpler and should be doable in vanilla, though. I tried to see if I could code a cooldown timer for a buff which could be triggered and would allow the spawning of a friendly animal to join you and fight along side you. It could even be like summoning in World of Warcraft. It could be spawning from using an item and/or from a skill, or you could use the skill to craft the item which could spawn one, etc. That could be a really neat addition as perhaps an optional companion mod or something, but sadly I wasn't able to figure out the code to actually spawn the entity even when looking at similar code from other mods. The only thing I found was a quest spawning an entity, but wasn't able to figure out how to do that from a buff or item.

Oh the quest is a great idea you should look into it. You get a quest do it and your reward would be a friendly animal even tho maybe a 1 off use type few where it will attack other enemies but after that I would say it prolly just stand there til the next enemy came along lol

Oh the quest is a great idea you should look into it. You get a quest do it and your reward would be a friendly animal even tho maybe a 1 off use type few where it will attack other enemies but after that I would say it prolly just stand there til the next enemy came along lol

It might be doable. Might look more into it during the Thanksgiving break ^n.n^

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know of a good open file hosting service that doesn't require an account and isn't laden with spying and stupidity like Google captchas and such? Mega is fairly open but you need an account to upload.

I ask because I'd like a download link here that doesn't require a forum account to download the mod.

Anyone know of a good open file hosting service that doesn't require an account and isn't laden with spying and stupidity like Google captchas and such? Mega is fairly open but you need an account to upload.

I ask because I'd like a download link here that doesn't require a forum account to download the mod.

Most use github which the user downloading doesnt need to sign in. but there is a new one in the discussion tab in mods thread that might suit your requirements. 7 days to die mods or something.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?137966-7-Days-to-Die-Mods-Website

Most use github which the user downloading doesnt need to sign in. but there is a new one in the discussion tab in mods thread that might suit your requirements. 7 days to die mods or something.

Pretty sure that site only lists mods, it doesn't host them. EDIT: I'm completely wrong, either I didn't notice or it's a new feature of that site.

Personally I'd go with either Github or Gitlab. You need to sign up, but both are good, you can use them for version control, and the mod launcher can integrate with them pretty easily.

Interesting, thanks! I wonder how you update a mod once you publish it? I don't see any login section anywhere. I don't want to have to fill out that whole big mod upload section every time I release a version. ^^

Pretty sure that site only lists mods, it doesn't host them. EDIT: I'm completely wrong, either I didn't notice or it's a new feature of that site.

Personally I'd go with either Github or Gitlab. You need to sign up, but both are good, you can use them for version control, and the mod launcher can integrate with them pretty easily.

Both use Google captchas, allowing Google to spy on websites you visit and every time you log into them, and Github is now owned by Microsoft, so those are both big nopes, but thanks for the suggestions!

Wow, https://7daystodiemods.com/ is actually just storing files on Github, and requires you to allow connections to Google to download mods. Because Google must always know everything you're doing! I'll keep looking.

If you're looking for something free, then you're going to be looking for a very, very long time. The few sites that don't use Google's reCAPTCHA use something equivalent, probably run by companies who are even less scrupulous about your data than Google.

It would be easier to see if you can use something like Buster, or to clear cookies and close your browser after signing up for one of the Git services - AFAIK neither requires reCAPTCHA once you've created an account (GitHub doesn't at least).

Otherwise, you'll probably have to pay for your own website.

If you're looking for something free, then you're going to be looking for a very, very long time. The few sites that don't use Google's reCAPTCHA use something equivalent, probably run by companies who are even less scrupulous about your data than Google.

It would be easier to see if you can use something like Buster, or to clear cookies and close your browser after signing up for one of the Git services - AFAIK neither requires reCAPTCHA once you've created an account (GitHub doesn't at least).

Otherwise, you'll probably have to pay for your own website.

Google makes money in every way they possibly can from your data, like Microsoft and all the others, so I doubt anyone could do worse!

I'm going with Mega, which has no captchas, Google spying, or Microsoft spying.

Archived