Good Reads

Jedo

That being said, I also included the training example which does involve people enjoying gains while anticipating the next goals they are hoping for, and still the reasonable thing to do is to factor delays into any estimations of how long the next goal will take to be reached.

You could also use home renovation (you have plenty of house to enjoy while waiting for new upgrades), novel series (plenty to read while you wait for next installment), or park playground expansions (you can play on the old equipment while waiting for new stuff to be installed) for more examples of having something already while you wait for next installments. No matter the example, same point stands: there aren't very good reasons for giving hopeful best guesses rather than very conservative ones.

This would be the most likely place for me to become a black skulldugger, but I just complain to my wife once a month that the next Dresden Files book still isn't out. Waiting is hard, y'all.

Jim Butcher, if you play 7dtd and participate in this forum, stop and go write that next novel!

This would be the most likely place for me to become a black skulldugger, but I just complain to my wife once a month that the next Dresden Files book still isn't out. Waiting is hard, y'all.

Jim Butcher, if you play 7dtd and participate in this forum, stop and go write that next novel!

He puts out a book once a month? Sheeesh, I need to yell at my favorite author, she does one book a year. Well, okay, she writes three or four different series, so four into twelve is three so three months for a book, hummm, she still takes longer.

I handle it by re-reading the last couple of books. Or a different author, or putting the book on pre-order and get a surprise in the mail because I forgot the release date and don't allow myself to check for it. Or, play 7 days to die, well, really War of the Walkers, Navz is boring as all get out, as is RWG now. :):smile-new:

He puts out a book once a month? Sheeesh, I need to yell at my favorite author, she does one book a year.

More like once every 18 months. I just complain once a month because the next one still hasn't been announced. Even worse, after this next book, he will work on another series that I don't care about. It will be a good five years for the book after the one I'm expecting.

More like once every 18 months. I just complain once a month because the next one still hasn't been announced. Even worse, after this next book, he will work on another series that I don't care about. It will be a good five years for the book after the one I'm expecting.

Reading a book for the sake of a good story is so time consuming... I just watch a movie or use my imagination.

Now, reading is for knowledge... So much stuff to learn about, and it's even useful... Unlike a made up story...

But I guess everyone needs their escape from reality. :p

Reading a book for the sake of a good story is so time consuming... I just watch a movie or use my imagination.

Now, reading is for knowledge... So much stuff to learn about, and it's even useful... Unlike a made up story...

Time consuming? How slow of a reader are you?

Admittedly, time spent reading fiction is time not spent reading for knowledge, so there's never a break-even point. In that sense, it really is a waste.

What's really time consuming is reading this useless thread... :p

Time consuming? How slow of a reader are you?

Admittedly, time spent reading fiction is time not spent reading for knowledge, so there's never a break-even point. In that sense, it really is a waste.

What's really time consuming is reading this useless thread... :p

Bout avarage I'd say... But that hardly matters, since it's not the reading itself (I like reading for knowledge)...

Yep, the point... But it's only my personal opinion. Which are like "bip", we all have one...

Lol, so true... But fun though... Like I imagine book readers have reading their books ;).

I'm reminded of a quote from the great Paul Dirac:

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite."

Or Richard Feynman:

"To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in."

I read for pleasure. I’ve also read all the Dresden books and the Codex Alera. Reading for knowledge is great too. I love feeling inspired or enriched after reading for knowledge. I also love the rush of imagination and adventure that comes from a story by Jim Butcher, or Brandon Sanderson, or Stephen King, or Randolph Lalonde.

Reading is like playing 7 Days to Die. If it’s going to be for pleasure you’ve gotta git gud.

I read for pleasure. I’ve also read all the Dresden books and the Codex Alera. Reading for knowledge is great too. I love feeling inspired or enriched after reading for knowledge. I also love the rush of imagination and adventure that comes from a story by Jim Butcher, or Brandon Sanderson, or Stephen King, or Randolph Lalonde.

Reading is like playing 7 Days to Die. If it’s going to be for pleasure you’ve gotta git gud.

OK this will be my first ever off topic post, as I love books too much:

Anyone recommend a recent published (few years) Apocalyptic or end of the world book(s)?

Edit: You can consider this "reference material" for possible inclusion into future 7D2D releases. :)

I really like Peter Cline’s Ex series. Zombies and super-powered humans. Good stuff.

OMG Roland! This is it! That series could be the playbook for 7D2D part 1 and a part 2! It would explain how the player character can learn so quickly and has a innate resistance to the virus... Imagine the player's power at the end of a part 2!

I quickly scanned the first two books synopsis and plan getting them ASAP. Thanks! :)

Anyone recommend a recent published (few years) Apocalyptic or end of the world book(s)?

Edit: You can consider this "reference material" for possible inclusion into future 7D2D releases. :)

Whoops. Meant to quote you.

Read Hugh Howey's silo series. Starts with a book - wool.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the best ever post apocalyptic off topic book series ever.

You must read hugh Howie's wool series.

My favorite post apocalyptic tale now.

That sounds like Fallout 3+4 borrowed some ideas there. But the plot sounds interesting enough to keep me busy for more than a month (including Roland's good recommendation too)

Thanks to so many good people, I am rarely in need of a good read! :)

Edit: This is all important 7D2D research material, I will have my 7D2D Part 2 presentation ready for you MM, by end of year.

What was that about moderators causing geekgasms?

M.R. Carey's "The Girl with All the Gifts". It has great critical acclaim and stuff about relatable characters or something, but basically I would describe it as Roland Dalh's "Matilda", but set in the zombie apocalypse. The zombies have unique features and behaviors, which I won't spoil, but they could give some ideas for zombies.

In writing this, I found there is a movie of this too, but I can't vouch for it's quality.

♫99 lil bugs in the code♫

♫99 little buuuugs♫

♫You take one down♫

♫You patch it around♫

♫107 little bugs in the code...♫

See, this is where I disagree. Any good author does their research. And in so doing may pass that knowledge on to their readers via their characters. For example, by reading fantasy I actually learned the basics of tracking and counter-tracking. I've learned a lot of good things from reading fictional works. The story might be fiction, but some of it is predicated on real things.

@Aldranon and @Roland

Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide? Also World War Z? (The book is FAR superior to the movie, but it's not your usual format. It's journal entries and anecdotes about the zombie apocalypse and stories of survivors, but it does convey an overarching narrative)

I haven't read Codex Alera yet from Jim butcher, but I'm more interested in his steampunk flagship. Windlass Chronicles or something like that.

I do have to agree though that 7Days in some ways is a time-waster. I'm a writer, and I sure as hell don't get any writing done when I'm playing.. and I've been playing a lot lately. But I file it under "self care" and move on. (Must have some decompression and 'me time'.)

See, this is where I disagree. Any good author does their research. And in so doing may pass that knowledge on to their readers via their characters. For example, by reading fantasy I actually learned the basics of tracking and counter-tracking. I've learned a lot of good things from reading fictional works. The story might be fiction, but some of it is predicated on real things.

-snip-

Sure, you can learn stuff from reading fiction. Even if it ISN'T based on fact!

You can also learn from watching stuff, or simple conversation...

In fiction you dont know if what you learn is true... Its a work of fiction. But that does not mean you cant use it in life. Or check the info to see if true.

Ultimately this is what entertainment is all about... It "feels" good. Its interesting because it is exciting to you on a basic level.

But it's still just made up entertainment for the most part.

If you wanna learn somthing properly, then read the knowledge as its is currently known factually. You might think this could be a bit boring... But a book of science is like any book... How good it is, is ultimately down to the writer... And there are some really good ones in science.

If you are American (or any nationality really), you should think about reading a little from: Richard Feynman.

I cant conway to you, how much his thoughts and writing has changed my life.

Edit:

Last thing. I always wonder why people want to go to an imaginary world of fiction, when the real world is so much more amazing and complicated than any fiction I have ever read... I guess it has to do with the "ease" of understanding.

But that's a little sad I think.

@Menace312, I'm sure that most of the brilliant scientists in the world would promote stimulation of the imagination, something which fiction books do. Creativity can lead to seeing things differently which can lead to scientific discoveries.

On a slightly different note, I wouldn't discount various modes of introduction to a subject. Reading a stodgy mathematics book could turn somebody off to mathematics, but an entertaining fiction book (like Anathem by Neal Stephenson) might reignite that interest. Not everybody comes to things by walking the same path.

Last thing. I always wonder why people want to go to an imaginary world of fiction, when the real world is so much more amazing and complicated than any fiction I have ever read... I guess it has to do with the "ease" of understanding.

But that's a little sad I think.

100% to do with ones ability to understand and process what they are reading correctly. Many people are unable to do so.

I must leave this as is now lest I anger people where the gravitational pull is stronger on the edges.

@Menace312, I'm sure that most of the brilliant scientists in the world would promote stimulation of the imagination, something which fiction books do. Creativity can lead to seeing things differently which can lead to scientific discoveries.

On a slightly different note, I wouldn't discount various modes of introduction to a subject. Reading a stodgy mathematics book could turn somebody off to mathematics, but an entertaining fiction book (like Anathem by Neal Stephenson) might reignite that interest. Not everybody comes to things by walking the same path.

Very true.

I know it could sound like I'm totally dismissing prose... I'm not, I just personally enjoy facts more. What I'm campaigning for, is to not dismiss knowledge, just because you think it might be boring. The school science books, that most remember, are just that. Boring.

Creativity is very important in science. Especially for physics! But fiction does not work for everyone (me).

Again, true.

But that's more a failure of modern parenting. A child needs to learn, that anything worthwhile, takes hard work to archive. I know of zero parents, where this is the main focus. Weird, since it's the most basic and important fact in life. After the fact that you die.

I blame reality shows, brainwashing "news" station and again bad paranting...

100% to do with ones ability to understand and process what they are reading correctly. Many people are unable to do so.

I must leave this as is now lest I anger people where the gravitational pull is stronger on the edges.

Ok I hear you... Last thing, and I shut up ;).

I you cant understand somthing, because a subject used to explain, you dont get.

Then go and learn the subject first, and then come back to it...

The only limiting factors are time and your own interests...

"I cant" usually means "I dont wanna".

Again, true.

But that's more a failure of modern parenting. A child needs to learn, that anything worthwhile, takes hard work to archive. I know of zero parents, where this is the main focus. Weird, since it's the most basic and important fact in life. After the fact that you die.

I know that I intend to encourage/teach exploration, working to achieve, looking at things from different angles, and Latin. (Honestly, I've thought about doing their school homework for them, then teaching them the things they really need to know.)

I you cant understand somthing, because a subject used to explain, you dont get.

Then go and learn the subject first, and then come back to it...

The only limiting factors are time and your own interests...

"I cant" usually means "I dont wanna".

I do have a friend who loves mathematics, but she got to differential equations and it became too much for her to grasp. You probably are correct that her "I can't" really was "I don't want to put in the effort," but I would say that it was more like the difficulty curve had grown exponentially and exceeded her time-to-effort ratio. Some people do have other things to do...

Of course, all of this ties into 7DTD (so that Roland doesn't remove this conversation) because sometimes you have to use creative solutions, explore different options, and work to achieve supremacy regardless of what TFP throws at us. However, since each of us is different, we have different time-to-effort ratios.

• 2 months later...

I like "The Day of the Triffids" by John Wyndham. It shows that everything can be changed so simply, you know - like in any good apocalyptic book.

Some say that fiction reading is useless - I`m sure, it isn`t. Good fiction works as a mirror for the real world, so you start to remark more details in reality, which otherwise could pass your mind. Also, it is unreal to do only "useful" things all the time. You just choose how you will rest - with a book, game etc.

I am fond of reading books, but now I have no free time for reading, because I work and study at college. Studying in college a bit hard for me, because English is not my native language so, I have may errors in my essays. Sometimes others write a paper for me.

Don't worry then. Since others have you covered on the writing I'll take reading and will read a few books for you.

Archived