A change to to Bedroll and Land claim block

Garit Jax

I have come across a lot of players that would like to take over some large POI's as a home/base and have found them saying "We can't stop sleepers from respawning inside our cleared out based".

In single player mode i to love to take over places like the Prison... Army base... Factory ect and make them into a based. I have this RP type of thing going on in my head where i take over one of these POI's, clear it out and setup a place where other NPC's could be taken to and live.

But due to the low coverage of the Bedroll to keep sleepers from respawning in these places we still get them.

So... my idea is to remove the "DEAD ZONE" from the Bedroll and add it to the Land claim block and make the zones value 40.

This would more than cover most of the larger buildings and cover my "at the moment Fav building" the hotel. :p

You see i have this plan on taking over one of these hotels and making a farm and landing strip on the roof for my Gyrocopter. :)

You could also only have the zone at a value of say 20 blocks but lock the ability to make more Land claim blocks behind levels - first one free as of now, 2nd at lvl 20, 3rd lvl 40 and so on. At lvl 100 you could have 6 max Land claim blocks which could be used to expand you bases Safe Zone (Dead Zone) or use them to make more outposts which are cleared out to stay in.

And yes i know i could just mod the Config file to the Bedroll and make the Dead zone 40 but i think changing the Land claim block would give it another use for single player games as well.

What do you guys think ? and as always any addon idea's pls post them. ;)

I'd disagree. Land claim blocks are easy to craft and you can just place them everywhere making huge chunks of territory free of spawns. Kills all the immersion.

I'm ok if they make it moddable to be able to do that, but it should not be part of the vanilla game.

I'd disagree. Land claim blocks are easy to craft and you can just place them everywhere making huge chunks of territory free of spawns. Kills all the immersion.

I'm ok if they make it moddable to be able to do that, but it should not be part of the vanilla game.

Modable would be cool.

If i remember right i was not able with a xml only mod to do that.

(But making Landlaim blocks needed to place a predecessor that "drys" only if player is near and produce high amounts of heat)

IF you look at what i said, players would not be able to make LC blocks and cover HUGE chunks - "...but lock the ability to make more Land claim blocks behind levels - first one free as of now, 2nd at lvl 20, 3rd lvl 40 and so on. At lvl 100 you could have 6 max Land claim blocks..."

So at level 100 you could only make a MAX of 6... you would be only be able to make 1 LC bock per 20 levels.

IF you look at what i said, players would not be able to make LC blocks and cover HUGE chunks - "...but lock the ability to make more Land claim blocks behind levels - first one free as of now, 2nd at lvl 20, 3rd lvl 40 and so on. At lvl 100 you could have 6 max Land claim blocks..."

So at level 100 you could only make a MAX of 6... you would be only be able to make 1 LC bock per 20 levels.

Which is not possible to do and requires major changes to the game so it's not really feasible. You cannot limit it so you can only craft x amount of a recipe per level.

It's also a really bad design because if your land claim blocks is ever destroyed then you can't make more and you can't reclaim any stations and lose out on all your protection.

Heck even if you make it so that it checks when you PLACE a landclaim you still have issues in that if you ever wanted to move your base you'd have to go back to old base, find your land claims, destroy then, then go back to new base and put new ones down.

It makes 0 sense to do such drastic changes as your describing for something that breaks immersion by letting you claim massive POIs as safe bases at least for the vanilla game.

Also you kill new players abilities to have a safe zone by removing it from the bedroll so that's another big strike against it

Which is not possible to do and requires major changes to the game so it's not really feasible. You cannot limit it so you can only craft x amount of a recipe per level.

It's also a really bad design because if your land claim blocks is ever destroyed then you can't make more and you can't reclaim any stations and lose out on all your protection.

Heck even if you make it so that it checks when you PLACE a landclaim you still have issues in that if you ever wanted to move your base you'd have to go back to old base, find your land claims, destroy then, then go back to new base and put new ones down.

Simply copy and expand the bedroll system: You could link the maximum number of active claim blocks with the player level (to name an obvious solution). Instead of one active bedroll, you would have multiple active claim blocks... Ofc the states (active, inactive) should be visible to the player.

It makes 0 sense to do such drastic changes as your describing for something that breaks immersion by letting you claim massive POIs as safe bases at least for the vanilla game.

As soon as an area is completely cleared, it should be claimable. Everything else is immersion breaking.

Simply copy and expand the bedroll system: You could link the maximum number of active claim blocks with the player level (to name an obvious solution). Instead of one active bedroll, you would have multiple active claim blocks... Ofc the states (active, inactive) should be visible to the player.

As soon as an area is completely cleared, it should be claimable. Everything else is immersion breaking.

Hardly as simple as your suggesting the changes to be. If a few people want if then it should be done via mods. You shouldn't be able to walk up and place 5 land claim blocks down and instantly take over a sky scraper and make it zombie free. It ruins balance, progression, and makes base building pointless.

Also immersion breaking doesn't matter. We can carry around 100,000 blocks of concrete and heal bullet wounds instantly, plus we respawn when we die. All of those are immersion breaking because they are needed for gameplay.

This is not a life simulator.

Hardly as simple as your suggesting the changes to be. If a few people want if then it should be done via mods. You shouldn't be able to walk up and place 5 land claim blocks down and instantly take over a sky scraper and make it zombie free. It ruins balance, progression, and makes base building pointless.

As I said 'as soon as an area is completely cleared'... You clearly haven't read my comment or you're trying to use a strawman.

Sorry I thought it would matter for you because you said

It makes 0 sense to do such drastic changes as your describing for something that BREAKS IMMERSION by letting you claim massive POIs as safe bases at least for the vanilla game.

As for my something that "BREAKS IMMERSION" big style is clearing out a building, (big or small) blocking up all doors, windows and any other holes or entrances only to find zombies/sleeper zombies popping up as if BY MAGIC and attacking you when you should be safe.

What is the point of doing a FULL sweep and clean of a building if you can't fully clear it out....EVER ???

A lot of people (like myself) LOVE old/new zombie movies.... and also the tv show The walking dead and yes i know this game is not any of them BUT most gamers love to act out thing's or build things they have seen in these movies and shows.

To make a safe zone of 1 large building or a small group of buildings like (aka Alexandria) is not possible with the game as it is and i know of a lot of players that would love this to be added. And b4 you say it "No not every player is on or wants to be on this forum".

Bty guys this is JUST AN IDEA, there's no need for MORTAL COMBAT !!!!! lol :p

I'd disagree. Land claim blocks are easy to craft and you can just place them everywhere making huge chunks of territory free of spawns.

Not happening without a wholly new framework to limit the number of active claim blocks of a player.

And, no, that's not trivial because you need to track which ones are active, adjust the information if one gets destroyed when the player is offline, etc...

Of course we have been talking about claim block changes among many other things but it's a complex issue.

you can have more than 1?, didn't know that, so i can make as many as i like and no zombos will spawn in the range?

One LC block with a Dead Zone range of 40 would also fit the bill, We don't need to have more than one if the range of one block will do the job. You could also leave in the Bedroll as is with it's 15 block zone just for newly starting players.

At the moment i am using a Bedroll with a Dead Zone of 40 which i changed from the standard 15 in the Config file and that works but you do have to place your Bedroll in some strange looking places to get it to cover the building just right (Army base - outside in the rain, Hotel - on the roof in the rain ect.

I still get Sleepers spawning in all other buildings apart from the one i cleared out and that's Great.

And for me this works VERY WELL so this is why i came up with this idea.

15 blocks is very small and even if you don't use a POI as a base and build your own base from scratch the size of that zone does not cover your base at all (most DIY bases i have seen made by players are larger than 15 blocks).

All you need for zombies to spawn within your base is 1 screamer to see you and BOOM you get zombies inside the outer walls of your base (and based on the size of your DIY base sometimes inside the base it's self).

Hmm

Not happening without a wholly new framework to limit the number of active claim blocks of a player.

And, no, that's not trivial because you need to track which ones are active, adjust the information if one gets destroyed when the player is offline, etc...

Of course we have been talking about claim block changes among many other things but it's a complex issue.

Aka, exactly as I said. It might seem easy to someone with no knowledge of programming, but making the type of changes you are suggesting is never as easy as oh just copy that system and use it for that.

Thats not even taking into account how they will work with NPC's later, as it looks like TFP have been setting it up so that future settlements, might have land claim protection associated with them.

One LC block with a Dead Zone range of 40 would also fit the bill, We don't need to have more than one if the range of one block will do the job. You could also leave in the Bedroll as is with it's 15 block zone just for newly starting players.

At the moment i am using a Bedroll with a Dead Zone of 40 which i changed from the standard 15 in the Config file and that works but you do have to place your Bedroll in some strange looking places to get it to cover the building just right (Army base - outside in the rain, Hotel - on the roof in the rain ect.

I still get Sleepers spawning in all other buildings apart from the one i cleared out and that's Great.

And for me this works VERY WELL so this is why i came up with this idea.

15 blocks is very small and even if you don't use a POI as a base and build your own base from scratch the size of that zone does not cover your base at all (most DIY bases i have seen made by players are larger than 15 blocks).

All you need for zombies to spawn within your base is 1 screamer to see you and BOOM you get zombies inside the outer walls of your base (and based on the size of your DIY base sometimes inside the base it's self).

Except, again, it can't be done because you CANNOT limit the number of land claim blocks per player. So you can't have 1 LC block with a spawn protection radius of 40 and have the rest offer no spawn protection.

As of now ONLY bedrolls provide that protection and are limited to 1. So unfortunately it cannot be done due to limitations. As i've said numerous times, just mod it as your doing, and if your worried about cosmetics just place your sleeping bag underground so you don't see it. You will spawn above it if you die and problem solved.

Aka, exactly as I said. It might seem easy to someone with no knowledge of programming, but making the type of changes you are suggesting is never as easy as oh just copy that system and use it for that.

I didn't mean it that way... Ofc it wouldn't be super easy to do but the logics should be basically generalized version of the 'bedroll logics'. If you consider the importance of consistent spawning mechanics, it should be worth to implement a wholly new framework. That's what alpha is for.

As of now ONLY bedrolls provide that protection and are limited to 1. So unfortunately it cannot be done due to limitations. As i've said numerous times, just mod it as your doing, and if your worried about cosmetics just place your sleeping bag underground so you don't see it. You will spawn above it if you die and problem solved.

Afaik you cannot adjust the geometry of the protection zone of the bedroll. So it's hard to claim a skyscraper or other structures whose geometries are significantly different to that of a sphere or cube, without unintentionally claiming adjacent prefabs.

I didn't mean it that way... Ofc it wouldn't be super easy to do but the logics should be basically generalized version of the 'bedroll logics'. If you consider the importance of consistent spawning mechanics, it should be worth to implement a wholly new framework. That's what alpha is for.

Afaik you cannot adjust the geometry of the protection zone of the bedroll. So it's hard to claim a skyscraper or other structures whose geometries are significantly different to that of a sphere or cube, without unintentionally claiming adjacent prefabs.

The entire point is you aren't meant to be able to place down a block and claim an entire skyscraper. Its a matter of balance.

Once the game gets closer to launch and real modding tools are released stuff like that can be tweaked but its not the type of change that really makes sense for the vanilla game.

The entire point is you aren't meant to be able to place down a block and claim an entire skyscraper. Its a matter of balance.

Once the game gets closer to launch and real modding tools are released stuff like that can be tweaked but its not the type of change that really makes sense for the vanilla game.

this i see different

Why do you think it is more sensefull to build a scyscapper in a Post apocalyse szenario, than claim one ?

But understand me right, sure it must be harder to do than

Ahh a Scyscrapper

Place Block

My Scyscapper

Loot

I like the idea to be able to claim "a settlement"

Sure this would need some balance.

Sure you can build it by yourself (Like we all do)

Sure it would need workforce to be possible

So sure its only a wish.

I only hope that somewhere in the Future the Fun Pimps share this wish ^^

You can already claim entire skyscrapers in vanilla 7dtd (without using bedrolls btw.). Basically, the op is just asking for a more convenient way of doing so.

It doesn't work like that in the first place.

Placing a bedroll means that cleared areas don't respawn.

There is no way around clearing the thing in the first place.

Sorry Gazz i don't mean place down an item (Bedroll/LC block) that clears out a building for you.... i mean after you have cleared it floor by floor and then place it so it keeps the sleepers from respawning in there after you have locked the place down.

I know that this may take some work and i also know that the staff base new stuff on, "is it worth the time and coding ?, how much will it add to the game, what are the good/bad sides to adding such a thing ?" but as i said it's just an idea.

As far as i know (and i may be wrong) the Bedroll works with a Dead Zone of 15 block which runs from Bedrock to the sky limit... so only changing the size from 15 to 40 would cover say... the hotel/apparent blocks. That's my understanding of how the none spawn zone (or Dead Zone) works. So even IF a new item was added that works like this was added it would still do the job of protecting a base bigger than the small 15 blocks.

But maybe it's just my lack of understanding how things work in 7DTD. I see the Bedroll as sort of a Temp type of thing you use while moving around to find a place to call home really, more of a Mobile Dead Zone if you will.

I REALLY don't want to add to your already LARGE workload... really, i just came up with this cus i saw and talked to people that wanted no sleepers spawning in there (what they think) safe base.

Sorry Gazz i don't mean place down an item (Bedroll/LC block) that clears out a building for you.... i mean after you have cleared it floor by floor and then place it so it keeps the sleepers from respawning in there after you have locked the place down.

I know that this may take some work and i also know that the staff base new stuff on, "is it worth the time and coding ?, how much will it add to the game, what are the good/bad sides to adding such a thing ?" but as i said it's just an idea.

As far as i know (and i may be wrong) the Bedroll works with a Dead Zone of 15 block which runs from Bedrock to the sky limit... so only changing the size from 15 to 40 would cover say... the hotel/apparent blocks. That's my understanding of how the none spawn zone (or Dead Zone) works. So even IF a new item was added that works like this was added it would still do the job of protecting a base bigger than the small 15 blocks.

But maybe it's just my lack of understanding how things work in 7DTD. I see the Bedroll as sort of a Temp type of thing you use while moving around to find a place to call home really, more of a Mobile Dead Zone if you will.

I REALLY don't want to add to your already LARGE workload... really, i just came up with this cus i saw and talked to people that wanted no sleepers spawning in there (what they think) safe base.

Btw you can edit the bedroll range by yourself if i remember right.

But be carefull, 40 would mean that you cover more than a range of 60 (if you stand on one border) and so far i remember all above 60 can lead to problems because thats the minimum range Zombies appear ingame (so far i remember my test)

You can already claim entire skyscrapers in vanilla 7dtd (without using bedrolls btw.). Basically, the op is just asking for a more convenient way of doing so.

If you can already do it then this enhancement request is dead as it's already in the game.

Also as the OP said it can AlREADY be done in game, just modify the protection radius of sleeping bag and place it down and you can now claim it on your modded server without changing how it works for every person on the game. You can't get much more convenient then that.

Again not everyone wants the vanilla game to have an easy button that lets you instantly protect a giant building and turn it into a safe spot. It kinda defeats the entire base building part of the game. It might make sense for some people however which is why it's moddable.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, you've already modified your sleeping bag to do so. So all you need to do is dig a block out on bottom floor,put sleeping bag down and cover it.

You now have exatcly what you've requested available immediately, without fundamentally changing the game for every user.

Archived