Structural integrity - make sound when placing or stepping on stress points

toores

I presume structural integrity is checked when you place a new block. And since I've had blocks brake away when stepping on them (before trap/fake floors were introduced), i presume it's checked then also.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's true, could there be a sound connected to high stress blocks that are close to failing. Like if i'm placing the last block it can hold, a cracking sound is played. Also if i'm walking on a floor and step on a block that's SI-strength is under certain threshold, the same sound is played. Maybe even have a different volumes or sounds at different thresholds.

The sound could be material specific: wood/metal/stone

1. I think it would add so much to the atmosphere. Imagine sneaking in an old house and the weak floor makes a sound that wakes up sleepers around you.

2. I think it would make building more intuitive. You hear when something you place is in stress, you don't have to read wiki and count your blocks.

Technically, would it hit performance if draw calls for SI are made anyways?

EDIT:

I think i should've posted this in the "Pimp Dreams" instead.

I think the color system should make it into the game.

BUT: only inside your claimed area,

and maybe only with a special hard-to-find goggles, or after drinking some strange brew you have to cook in a big copper cauldron....

Seeing how laggy it gets whenever I use the already existing feature to visualize SI (in the debug menu) that sound idea might be a better way to bring it to the regular player.

I'm still goin to be counting my blocks though :p

Seeing how laggy it gets whenever I use the already existing feature to visualize SI (in the debug menu) that sound idea might be a better way to bring it to the regular player.

I'm still goin to be counting my blocks though :p

To be honest, i'm not sure how would the sound trigger affect performance. Even if it's only used when draw calls are made anyways. Maybe someone with development skills would know this...?

Might not be so simple.

I believe it when Kinyajuu or faatal tell me that.. :D

Probably it is really simple. every block entity has a default sound when you step over it, the structural integrity is calculated every time a new block is attached to a block. In this calculation the sound for this block (and/or adjacent blocks) can be changed or overlayed without affecting the performance. Also, in the block entity (xml) a new tag can be inserted to replace the block sound (or overlay on default block sound) if it has structural stress.

Probably it is really simple. every block entity has a default sound when you step over it, the structural integrity is calculated every time a new block is attached to a block. In this calculation the sound for this block (and/or adjacent blocks) can be changed or overlayed without affecting the performance. Also, in the block entity (xml) a new tag can be inserted to replace the block sound (or overlay on default block sound) if it has structural stress.

Breaking one block in a strategic spot might change the SI stress level for thousands of blocks. I don't know if it's good idea to start rewriting all those tags. I think it should rather be done when interacting with specific block.

Breaking one block in a strategic spot might change the SI stress level for thousands of blocks. I don't know if it's good idea to start rewriting all those tags. I think it should rather be done when interacting with specific block.

You miss the point - you can turn on the visualization of the stress right now. Every block has the value of the stress already, it is stored after calculation in memory, the structural integrity algorithm recalculates these values using the old ones.

You miss the point - you can turn on the visualization of the stress right now. Every block has the value of the stress already, it is stored after calculation in memory, the structural integrity algorithm recalculates these values using the old ones.

Oh, so every time you place or break a block, it recalculates stress for all involved blocks? ('cause i thought it would cause lag)

If it doesn't affect performance (only changing some tags), i would really like to see it happen!

Oh, so every time you place or break a block, it recalculates stress for all involved blocks? ('cause i thought it would cause lag)

yes, otherwise the game wouldn't be able to detect when the structure should collapse :) - you can turn on the visualization of the stress in debug mode (command dm, "show stability" somewhere there if I remember correctly). Still it is serious calculations but devs have managed to lighten up these calculations enough to work reasonably well in the most situations.

yes, otherwise the game wouldn't be able to detect when the structure should collapse :) - you can turn on the visualization of the stress in debug mode (command dm, "show stability" somewhere there if I remember correctly). Still it is serious calculations but devs have managed to lighten up these calculations enough to work reasonably good in the most situations.

I know about the visualization but it looks like it's demanding so i thought in the actual game it's simpler somehow...

Archived