A16.4 - do farms still cause lag?

Lonestarcanuck

Keep your plots about 10x10 or smaller and you won't get hardly any lag no matter where you plant. Personally I usually go for 5x6. The bigger the plot the more lag you get. All you need is a block of unplanted soil between mini plots and all is fine, though I usually divide them with wood plates (blocks and half blocks will also work fine though zombies might get stuck on them and destroy them so plates work best).

I don't know about multiplayer, but in single player, when i harvest crops I get game stopping lag.

I noticed that if I planted my crops every other row, however, I didn't get any lag at all, or maybe there is lag, but its so little that its not noticeable.

It doesn't seem to matter how long a row is, just as long as rows have at least 1 space between rows.

- P

I don't know about multiplayer, but in single player, when i harvest crops I get game stopping lag.

I noticed that if I planted my crops every other row, however, I didn't get any lag at all, or maybe there is lag, but its so little that its not noticeable.

It doesn't seem to matter how long a row is, just as long as rows have at least 1 space between rows.

- P

Wait, what? Do people really plant their crops all crowded in together? I tried that once when they first let us till soil without rows and went right back to the rows. Planting seeds for some of the crops was just way to buggy to bother dealing with. It's far easier and nice looking honestly to just hoe and plant in rows.

we just tested a corn garden 12x12 and it caused game stopping lag on a big server with 12 players. we all froze

- - - Updated - - -

what is the significance of 0,0? we are like 1520n 87 E

I have a farm 20x20 with no noticable lag on my Vanilla server... Only one other player on and we're very close to 0,0.

I have no idea if staying close to 0,0 has an impact on farming/lag, but there is that related bug...

If you build very far away from 0,0 you will experience a mild but constant jittering and shaking screen, as the game progresses.

It may not be connected, but I haven't investigated it myself...

- P

Hmm, here might be something...

I have always planted my crops with one space between the rows...

So since pahbi also has low to no lag, then perhaps this is it?

we tested planning the rows 1 or 2 blocks apart and did not notice lag. but putting them together like the farms in town you find lags out the other players but not the player harvesting.

So new farming meta?

Always plant rows of crops with one free row between them.

Or said in another way: Crops may only have 2 adjacent crops next to them, or it will cause lag...

I thought I should clarify something else. When I say 20x20 I don't mean blocks, I mean crops. So if you counted my farm in blocks it would be more like 20x40 blocks...

No wonder I never seem to get this lag... IF it really is this... But as I said, I never really had this problem, so there's a very good chance this is the issue...

I host a co-op server for 4 players. Our current farm is gigantic (30 x 30 with no space between crops; we have planted everything except mushrooms). No lag. Only detrimental effect I see is that many of the crops we have planted "pop in" (visually) at unusually close range, which is quite disconcerting as I have all settings maxed out. Other than that graphical disappointment, everything is fine and lag free. Also, the farm is right beside a huge and super-complex base.

I noticed some lag harvesting a lot of goldenrod this morning, in a solid plot of 50 or so plants next to an equally large group of corn and hops. This was a verifiable frame rate drop, since I had debug mode running with the FPS ticker showing. I dropped from an average of 57 FPS, to 33 FPS while harvesting, and there was some stutter. I do not have empty rows between crops, as I am packing as many as I can in a given space.

Archived