A16 - Gnamod

Haidrgna

My tests have been successful and I managed to create a new test beacon that zombies attack, they even seem to favor it over me when I am running around not shooting at them. I also experimented with transparent concrete and that also works, effectively making it possible to make player structures become invisible to zombies. This might finally create the experience that this mode should have, defending the beacon, it will likely also make it harder in the current form when playing solo.

Nice :)

If you are using Collide property for that, have you found a way to make blocks stop explosions but still be invisible to zombies?

I haven't seen a value that stops explosion so having invisible blocks around beacon do not protect it from exploding zombies.

Maybe i'm wrong, didn't test everything to be sure, but from what i remember - it's a problem.

I will have to test that out. If it does I might have to give it some explosive resistance and perhaps add a way for the beacon to be repaired (at considerable cost, maybe just with coins). Also if they actively seek out the beacon then I can probably scale down the explosive zombies in the earlier days as they are there mostly to breach defenses. Zombies, if actively going for something can breach walls quickly.

But it is still in testing phase, I might release it as a development version on the launcher first.

I'm asking this for a friend of mine who is planning to play the horde mode on Youtube.

I'm asking in place of him because he can't speak English.

His first video that he put out introducing horde mode had over 60 thousand views.

The next one he's planning to put out, he wants to play with two other popular Japanese 7 days to die youtubers.

The question is, is there any way to avoid the fire effect (molotov?) error without a dedicated server?

None of them have their own server and when they test played the other day,

they had the error where everyone but the host crashed when there was a fire spitting feral or police.

Having the zombies go for the beacon is a great idea.

In the current version,

people just put either water or wood spikes on the ground near the beacon and just run around it until morning.

I think it would be more exciting if you actually had to defend the beacon.

Having the zombies go for the beacon is a great idea.

In the current version,

people just put either water or wood spikes on the ground near the beacon and just run around it until morning.

I think it would be more exciting if you actually had to defend the beacon.

The desync caused by the molotov fire effect is most likely a vanilla bug, and only happens in peer to peer games sadly.

But you do not need to own a dedicated server to set one up, you can run one locally on your own computer, you may need to set up some port forwarding for others to be able to connect to you though. If you can host the game locally your machine should also be strong enough to run a local dedicated server instance. As a bonus this makes the game actually run smoother for the host as you are now effectively multi-threading (the server instance does a part of the work that normally would also be done by the game instance of the host).

If I have time I can look up a guide to set this up, installing it goes through steam and its mostly just setting a few things to be able to play with friends.

Edit:

This covers the installing, without using the steam tools tab. Using steam directly is probably easier but this works. It does not cover port forwarding, which you will need unless your friends connect through LAN.

Edit2: https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Server

That also covers some info on port forwarding and the commands. Should be enough, though I dont think I can provide a link to a Japanese source, maybe someone else can?

I really like the idea. Right now you can run like a fool and after few days build a big pillar base and that's it. But yeah, I share the same worry about blocks not protecting the beacon against explosions. About beacon size, have you changed it?

I really like the idea. Right now you can run like a fool and after few days build a big pillar base and that's it. But yeah, I share the same worry about blocks not protecting the beacon against explosions. About beacon size, have you changed it?

No it remains 3x3 for that setup as well, probably will remain that way in any case.

I will be sure to test out how explosions work with this setup and if it turns out it will not I will likely take measures as well if I proceed this route, probably certain blocks like polished steel will completely shield the beacon for example, or I will need to find a way to make the entity spawn higher up on top of the flagpole or something so it would be hard to remove it from sight.

The desync caused by the molotov fire effect is most likely a vanilla bug, and only happens in peer to peer games sadly.

But you do not need to own a dedicated server to set one up, you can run one locally on your own computer, you may need to set up some port forwarding for others to be able to connect to you though. If you can host the game locally your machine should also be strong enough to run a local dedicated server instance. As a bonus this makes the game actually run smoother for the host as you are now effectively multi-threading (the server instance does a part of the work that normally would also be done by the game instance of the host).

If I have time I can look up a guide to set this up, installing it goes through steam and its mostly just setting a few things to be able to play with friends.

Edit:

This covers the installing, without using the steam tools tab. Using steam directly is probably easier but this works. It does not cover port forwarding, which you will need unless your friends connect through LAN.

Edit2: https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Server

That also covers some info on port forwarding and the commands. Should be enough, though I dont think I can provide a link to a Japanese source, maybe someone else can?

Thank you Haidragna for the reply.

The molotov fire effect is a vanilla bug?

I've never had that happen in vanilla or any other MODs I've played.

I hope they fix it in α17.

Thank you for the info about setting up a local server.

I found a couple Japanese sites that explain it and let my friends know.

Thank you Haidragna for the reply.

The molotov fire effect is a vanilla bug?

I've never had that happen in vanilla or any other MODs I've played.

I hope they fix it in α17.

Thank you for the info about setting up a local server.

I found a couple Japanese sites that explain it and let my friends know.

I have not found anything in any logs I looked over that pointed to something I have been using, it seems to glitch out the graphics drivers or something and then causes a desync. I think it also does not happen with every single molotov effect, I have seen it happen on some vids, and they usually can use them for a while and then it happens. I think its mostly because in Gnamod it gets used a lot that this also happens frequently. The most weird about it only happens in peer to peer games, in SP and Dedicated server it just never happens, so it is bug that is unique to that game mode. I think in A17 it will all be the same, there will be no difference code wise between these modes so hopefully that means this glitch will also be gone then.

I have not found anything in any logs I looked over that pointed to something I have been using, it seems to glitch out the graphics drivers or something and then causes a desync. I think it also does not happen with every single molotov effect, I have seen it happen on some vids, and they usually can use them for a while and then it happens. I think its mostly because in Gnamod it gets used a lot that this also happens frequently. The most weird about it only happens in peer to peer games, in SP and Dedicated server it just never happens, so it is bug that is unique to that game mode. I think in A17 it will all be the same, there will be no difference code wise between these modes so hopefully that means this glitch will also be gone then.

It's true, I've played both solo and with a friend and it only happens when I play with someone.

The host gets an error message and everyone but the host starts running in place and has to exit and come back in again.

If you've already looked at several logs, sending you new ones wouldn't help any I suppose.

Anyway, I don't want to bother you too much because I'm really looking forward to the new idea you have about the zombies going for the beacon more than the players.

I'm asking this for a friend of mine who is planning to play the horde mode on Youtube.

I'm asking in place of him because he can't speak English.

His first video that he put out introducing horde mode had over 60 thousand views.

The next one he's planning to put out, he wants to play with two other popular Japanese 7 days to die youtubers.

The question is, is there any way to avoid the fire effect (molotov?) error without a dedicated server?

None of them have their own server and when they test played the other day,

they had the error where everyone but the host crashed when there was a fire spitting feral or police.

I'm the one that mentioned the Japanese friends of mine who are planning to play the horde mode live on Youtube.

They've decided to do it on May 12th at 22:00, Japan time.

I think it's 8am in the morning eastern time.

The players are going to be,

iihito jyanai, who has 55,152 subs.

yukkuri comsan, who has 7,913 subs,

merci games, who has 11,504 subs.

They will be going live on yukkuri comsan's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtE...1TFa6dZ3Yl0pBQ

It's all going to be in Japanese, but if anyone is interested, it would be nice to see you all there.

I will most likely be there from beginning to end.

If anyone has any questions or anything they want to say, I'll be happy to translate.

It's their first time playing the horde mode, so it may well end up in a disaster.

Hope to see you all there, thank you.

I'm the one that mentioned the Japanese friends of mine who are planning to play the horde mode live on Youtube.

They've decided to do it on May 12th at 22:00, Japan time.

I think it's 8am in the morning eastern time.

The players are going to be,

iihito jyanai, who has 55,152 subs.

yukkuri comsan, who has 7,913 subs,

merci games, who has 11,504 subs.

They will be going live on yukkuri comsan's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtE...1TFa6dZ3Yl0pBQ

It's all going to be in Japanese, but if anyone is interested, it would be nice to see you all there.

I will most likely be there from beginning to end.

If anyone has any questions or anything they want to say, I'll be happy to translate.

It's their first time playing the horde mode, so it may well end up in a disaster.

Hope to see you all there, thank you.

First time is always the most fun for a stream, I am sure they will be alright :D

Just a quick update on the progress I am making:

I have started working on a 1.04 update for Gnamod that will mostly focus on Horde Mode.

- I have created a new beacon POI that will get a few versions, at least one for a 1 person game, one for a group of up to 4 and maybe one for a challenge version of Horde Mode (not sure yet). The new beacon looks a bit different mainly because I needed to redo the stability of it with an entity inside. The beacon I think looks better than before and comes with standard storage drawer(s). It can also be repaired now, 1 coin per HP restored, which is so far the working idea. Not sure yet if HP need to be increased, but if it can be repaired should be ok.

- Despite my effort and tests I was not able to create an entity that looks like the flagpole, I got one to spawn but the zombies ignored it, if I gave it a controller it errored as it was missing animations. Lot of stuff hard coded in the wrong places to combine these things, so it will liky just be a trader, just need to find a way to get him out of the way when the beacon blows up, or just make sure its Trader Rekt that only sells turds to mock people on their defeat.

- Collision to make zombies see through blocks will need some testing, it seems it blocks everything except entity damage from explosions (and likely buffs from them). I might reduce either/both the damage and radius on some common explosions. Mostly this means people are more at risk from cops blowing up and their own bombs, a trade-off for zombies going for the beacon fanatically. This will mostly apply to explosions from zombies as I rather not nerf the player explosives, they just need to be more careful using them. The stainless steel blocks will surely still block explosive damage and zombie vision in either case. Will also need to investigate terrain blocks, or remove them from the crafting options if it does not work on them.

- I have tried fixing the Hatch/Door exploit, zombies not seeing opened hatches and doors in certain positions. It seems its not possible to reliably fix with xml, even with simple rotations an open hatch proves an easy barrier the zombies just get stuck upon. I will list this as a known exploit and people that will use it I will just consider cheating, just like people increasing the loot % above 100%. The new beacon will make using pillar bases nearby a lot less effective.

- I have been refining existing buffs, increased the effectiveness of painkillers a bit (which make them really good long term healers), but they will likely also get a counter that will if you pop to much at once kill you, like it would in real life, it will probably cause internal bleeding on overdose. Natural regeneration has been increased a bit but will shut off when a healing effect is on you and going thirsty or hungry now has a more noticeable effect, but does not remove as much wellness. Cooling and Warming effects (except coffee) cancel each-other out, if you eat a warm stew while under effect of a red tea effect the red tea gets dispelled for example. This will remove the buffs fighting each-other and temp behaving erratically. These buff also auto dispel if the player is sufficiently cooled or warmed

- I am most likely changing the minimum wellness a player spawns with to 100, Health Nut will add another 100 on top at level 5, but requires player level 100 and athletics 80 to get. However a player when spawned will have his wellness reset to his minimal value, so every death removes all gained wellness, on top of this a player loses 50 health, this means a new spawn starts with 50 HP but 100 wellness.

- Zombie buffs have also been redone, their regeneration effects now instead apply their health at set intervals at once rather than in short bursts, which means if you damage them and let em go for a while they could have regained health, but their regen wont get in the way off dot effects or you shooting them quickly. They also gained a buff that occasionally gives them a burst of speed, this makes the zombies sometimes accelerate to get you. During the night zombies that get this buff can be faster than a player, making being outside at night with many zombies a lot more dangerous than before.

Many of this will affect core gameplay and for horde mode this may mean I need to reduce the zombie counts over the board to compensate for the increase in difficulty some of these changes will have.

When this is allo

Some questions:

1) Certainly you will have to reduce zombie count otherwise would be impossible to get past the very first day. Tweaked 1.03 single player is now manageable, except by 7-day hordes (it's a very powerful horde and not in line with previous days, it should definitely be harder, but not too much as is right now, so I think you have to take a look at this). Good example:

2) Reduced number of zombies will affect money generation, so will beacon prices change? I'm not asking for "starting kit exploit" (buying it and selling its items was a very effective way to get a lot of money), but I think items should be a little bit cheaper from the beggining because we have to focus hard on base defense

Some questions:

1) Certainly you will have to reduce zombie count otherwise would be impossible to get past the very first day. Tweaked 1.03 single player is now manageable, except by 7-day hordes (it's a very powerful horde and not in line with previous days, it should definitely be harder, but not too much as is right now, so I think you have to take a look at this). Good example:

2) Reduced number of zombies will affect money generation, so will beacon prices change? I'm not asking for "starting kit exploit" (buying it and selling its items was a very effective way to get a lot of money), but I think items should be a little bit cheaper from the beggining because we have to focus hard on base defense

Yeah I am aware that currently the first 7d horde can be pretty impressive, though this example has been exploiting zombie pathing to make a lot of kills in the first 6 days. 7d hordes are game staged, which means you can also get a much stronger horde if you over-level. Day length also comes into account as longer nights mean more kills before reaching the first 7d horde.

The new beacon and the zombies may require some pricing or availability/killing reward adjustments as well. Though pricing currently for most items feels about right and its based upon what it takes to craft it, so changing prices means having to go through that process again which I am not likely going to do for A16. Most likely that base-line horde of the easiest version will be at least half what is now in the sp version and 7d hordes will be looked at in all versions.

The bloodmoon hordes got their boss waves, which can really wreck a base, I will likely remove or severly tone these down in lower gamestages.

Yeah I am aware that currently the first 7d horde can be pretty impressive, though this example has been exploiting zombie pathing to make a lot of kills in the first 6 days. 7d hordes are game staged, which means you can also get a much stronger horde if you over-level. Day length also comes into account as longer nights mean more kills before reaching the first 7d horde.

The new beacon and the zombies may require some pricing or availability/killing reward adjustments as well. Though pricing currently for most items feels about right and its based upon what it takes to craft it, so changing prices means having to go through that process again which I am not likely going to do for A16. Most likely that base-line horde of the easiest version will be at least half what is now in the sp version and 7d hordes will be looked at in all versions.

The bloodmoon hordes got their boss waves, which can really wreck a base, I will likely remove or severly tone these down in lower gamestages.

Adjusting killing reward works for me.

Thank you for all the amazing changes!

I understand about the hatches.

I used it but, yes it makes things way too easy.

I suppose using plates to make the base float is also considered an exploit?

It sort of is, I can fix those things, but would render most of those shapes useless, no option exist yet to set support per side. Would be nice is a pole would support on bottom and top but any other it would collapse.

But using plates and pole blocks this way will not keep them away from the beacon, same as a pole base. If they go for the beacon these options will not matter as much and thus will be fine. Hatches are just easy to prevent them from getting to it.

I have tried many things, but the only real options would render them pretty much useless (remove collision, would make you fall through them when closed etc). Only thing I might do for horde mode is to remove the recipes for them and have it sell a few occasionally. So people that want a few hatches can still get them, but getting a ton will take a lot of time to buy. Probably will also add other doors and drawbridges to the sales then. This will at least make it hard to use the first weeks.

It sort of is, I can fix those things, but would render most of those shapes useless, no option exist yet to set support per side. Would be nice is a pole would support on bottom and top but any other it would collapse.

But using plates and pole blocks this way will not keep them away from the beacon, same as a pole base. If they go for the beacon these options will not matter as much and thus will be fine. Hatches are just easy to prevent them from getting to it.

I have tried many things, but the only real options would render them pretty much useless (remove collision, would make you fall through them when closed etc). Only thing I might do for horde mode is to remove the recipes for them and have it sell a few occasionally. So people that want a few hatches can still get them, but getting a ton will take a lot of time to buy. Probably will also add other doors and drawbridges to the sales then. This will at least make it hard to use the first weeks.

Not being able to craft the hatches sounds like a good idea.

I tested using plates to make the base float. You're right, with the zombies going for the beacon it wouldn't work. The zombies start piling on top of each other so that they can hit the plates and make it collapse.

Looking forward to 1.04. I wonder what the new beacon design looks like:smile-new:

I don't like this idea only because RNG sucks sometimes, but, would be possible to have like 4 on starting kit? I like my bases as little buildings (cage, platform, workplace (s) and storage) so I need at least 3 ~ 4 early game.

Haidrgna, would be possible to unlock all Painting Books? Usually I have a lot of storage box so it would be nice to have a better way to identify its items.

Well if it will sell hatches instead of them being crafted it would not be to hard to get a that amount by the end of day 1, but perhaps a basic amount of building supplies I could give out. The beacon now comes with a unique storage container (or more) so that could have some basics in it to get people started and reduce the RNG vengeance of day 1 and make it play a bit more stable. I will think on this and see how it works along with the rewards for killing vs the amount of zombies and their treasure. Since selling items is not as lucrative as it used to be I think the bags could probably favor giving of coins or sometimes larger amounts instead.

In my current testbuild I think I have made them buyable perks, so people can unlock them, I think for Horde Mode they should only cost 1 point to unlock, but maybe I just make sure all painting is unlocked in this mode, not really needed to be locked at all as its mostly just a convenience. Not sure the machine sells enough paint now though as I think I made it rare because mostly it would take the space of something useful.

I have v1.0.3 and I've not been able to get very far. I've played a previous version (v1.0?) so I have *some* experience with it.

I see people talking about having access to the vendors on day 1. I have started 8 games in the past couple of days, and not once has my beacon had anything in it -- they're all empty and say it will restock on day 2. Am I missing something?

Also, I think Haidrgna said something about having a higher/virtually-100% chance of getting nails in the starter kit. Of those 8 games, I got nails the first time but not again. Or were you talking about for the next version?

I have v1.0.3 and I've not been able to get very far. I've played a previous version (v1.0?) so I have *some* experience with it.

I see people talking about having access to the vendors on day 1. I have started 8 games in the past couple of days, and not once has my beacon had anything in it -- they're all empty and say it will restock on day 2. Am I missing something?

Also, I think Haidrgna said something about having a higher/virtually-100% chance of getting nails in the starter kit. Of those 8 games, I got nails the first time but not again. Or were you talking about for the next version?

Click on "secret stash icon" (goods are in there).

I've noticed a temperature issue in Horde mode SP - my dude starts to shiver when now and then the temp seems to stick on 44 degrees no matter what he is wearing. Only being by a fire seems to warm him up. It is the constant shiver sound that gets a bit annoying that's all.

I think the rifles are under powered. I've been adding my own xml changes to fix this. I also make burning barrels deal damage so that i can put them in holes for zeds to walk over. Perhaps you could add in a firetrap block that is appropriately priced ?

Thanks for making such a great mod.

Archived