A16 - 7D2D SDX Tutorials and Modding Kit

sphereii

• 3 months later...
The "SDX Modding Kit" in the GitHub guide is on dnSpy v3 but dnSpy is at v5 now:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/0xd4d/dnspy/branch/master/artifacts

Also, https://i.imgur.com/9juDiPo.png

As xyth said, it'll be refreshed for A17.

The tutorials and tool chain are designed to work as one, so if you update one package, then you have to go over the tutorials to make sure all the screenshots, etc are all updated as well. That can get tedious, and make people feel uncertain about whether they are getting the latest or not.

Sometimes, getting the latest won't work for us either.

Bugs:

• SDX doesn't run de4dot in some cases.

1. To repeat the bug:
    1. Do a build on your Working folder
    2. decide later that you need to delete that folder and get a fresh copy for some reason
    3. load SDX and hit build again...it completes, but de4dot won't run.

[*]To fix it:

1. get another fresh working folder
    2. delete the SDX folder and get a fresh one
    3. proceed as normal

[*]Even with issue one being accounted for, SDX does remove some obfuscation, but dragging the 7days dll over de4dot does a better job. SDX doesn't put names back in place as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/TGpvgjW.png.

When I take the original dll and drag it over the included de4dot I get names included: https://i.imgur.com/BLNd8t5.png

Was #2 an intentional decision?

NOTE1: I forget to mention, this is on 7.1, and I forgot to test it on 7.2 before submitting this post, trying these bugs on 7.2 now...

NOTE2: Both issues still present on 7.2.

NOTE3: This is on Windows 10, 64 bit, Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i'm trying out modding like this for the first time. And i was following this tutorial: https://7d2dsdx.github.io/Tutorials/

I followed every step so far but i'm stuck at the part Building the cube mod. It just doesn't show in my game. I did see in the output log that it was put in the right folder but nothing in game. When using version in console it does say that there is Mod SDX 1.

So i am kinda wondering what and where it went wrong.

Hope someone can help me here :)

Thnx in advance

Hi,

i'm trying out modding like this for the first time. And i was following this tutorial: https://7d2dsdx.github.io/Tutorials/

I followed every step so far but i'm stuck at the part Building the cube mod. It just doesn't show in my game. I did see in the output log that it was put in the right folder but nothing in game. When using version in console it does say that there is Mod SDX 1.

So i am kinda wondering what and where it went wrong.

Hope someone can help me here :)

Thnx in advance

Sorry for the delay. When you say it doesn't show up in game, do you mean in the Creative Menu? Or can you pick it from creative menu, but there's no texture?

Do you happen to have your output_log.txt of a full game load up?

Sorry for the delay. When you say it doesn't show up in game, do you mean in the Creative Menu? Or can you pick it from creative menu, but there's no texture?

Do you happen to have your output_log.txt of a full game load up?

It doesn't show at all in the cm menu.

https://gist.github.com/Sh4mpo/c8716a784a0d44596ff135e53d7a2c81

the thing i thought that might be causing it is if you look at the part "Making a Clean Backup" from the tutorials website i am using, it says i have to put these backup files ( including the 'working' file ) in the Game folder, but that folders was never there to begin with so i made one but on the tutorial website it shows that there should be a placeholder.txt. in there and that is something i have not. But besides this i have no idea what could be causing it cause it sure looks like it should be there in game but it's not.

In your log file, it looks like you are connecting to a server. Have you pushed the new XML files to the server? Or did you just copy them to your client, and load them up?

i am connecting to a server yes, I followed the tutorial, enabled cube mod then pressed build. the location is to a server and that's the server i joined

Edit:

I don't know if the name or something change in comparisson to the tutorial cause there were several test blocks there including some cube things but nothing what looked like the cube from sdx tutorials

Edit 2:

cubetest.thumb.jpg.f20070619c6528c3259e8d23f77112d6.jpg

these are test cubes in the game, and they only show when i turn on dev blocks. But neither of them namewise ore texture wise look like the one from the tutorial

i am connecting to a server yes, I followed the tutorial, enabled cube mod then pressed build. the location is to a server and that's the server i joined

Edit:

I don't know if the name or something change in comparisson to the tutorial cause there were several test blocks there including some cube things but nothing what looked like the cube from sdx tutorials

Edit 2:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24836[/ATTACH]

these are test cubes in the game, and they only show when i turn on dev blocks. But neither of them namewise ore texture wise look like the one from the tutorial

in the XML, could you change the name of the cube to something unique, like name="sh4mpo", do another build, then see if it comes up as the one you expect?

in the XML, could you change the name of the cube to something unique, like name="sh4mpo", do another build, then see if it comes up as the one you expect?

sh4mpocube.thumb.jpg.59b81244e43c88bd8577dab0b0947e0c.jpg

change the name to sh4mpo as you suggested and nothing

output log; https://gist.github.com/Sh4mpo/aa0d6a724a93c2035ff847839ab77e36

not sure if i understood it right but i think you meant the xml files from the server which are editted by sdx ? Not sure which files that all are though.

blocks.xml; https://gist.github.com/Sh4mpo/8a64dd0639e678ec03c8319991cc543c

recipe.xml; https://gist.github.com/Sh4mpo/a38c32659641d3a9cc6fc607248932dd

Thes two i'm sure off that the tool editted, but if you need more files let me know.

Thanks, those are great.

I don't see any errors. The blocks.xml and recipes.xml are populated correctly, and should load. have you searched in the force to see if its craftable?

uhm no i haven't but if it isn't anywhere to be found in the cm menu then that shouldn't be possible either right? gonna check now anyway but..

Edit:

I have checked just now, i really can't find it anywhere. cm menu, misc crafting, forge can't find it.. :(

uhm no i haven't but if it isn't anywhere to be found in the cm menu then that shouldn't be possible either right? gonna check now anyway but..

Edit:

I have checked just now, i really can't find it anywhere. cm menu, misc crafting, forge can't find it.. :(

I just tried the part with the katana, and that is working ( without texture but it is there )

Sounds like trying to use the cube tutorial mod then connecting to a server is the issue. The server will push xml files to your client and write over them, removing your cube block from the xml. Try on a single player game.

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for putting this together guys, it's really awesome for people who want to go beyond xml editing without knowing where to start!

I don't know if anyone has already reported this before, but I am currently going through the tutorials and just wanted to report a small problem with the intermediate bigger backpack tutorial.

I does not compile as is, because it's looking for S420windowToolbelt which does not exist in vanilla. I recognize this modified toolbelt from the SImpleUI mod.

I tried quickly renaming the S420windowToolbelt to the regular toolbelt but that didn't work, so I went on github and grabbed and archive version of BiggerBackpack before the toolbelt addition, and that works fine.

The only thing missing is the code to also make the death backpack a bit bigger. I guess I can add that myself. (Would be nice to have it in the tutorial ;))

Keep up the good work guys, these resources are really really useful!!!

PS: My current goal is to add bigger backpack and bigger minibike storage to the Starvation Mod. I hope I succeed! ;)

EDIT:

ah ah, the death backpack part was easier than I thought! ;)

Simply adding this to BiggerBackPack.xml

<config name="loot">
   <set xpath="/lootcontainers/lootcontainer[@id='41']/@size">8,10</set>
</config>

Ok, so everything works fine when building on top of vanilla, but when I try to build on top of Starvation, it reverts the xml files to the vanilla ones for some reason...

Your tips and tricks page has a section about using non-vanilla files as a base. I did replace the content of the working folder with the Starvation install. I also tried replacing the clean install folder content by the Starvation install, in case it was building back from those files, but I had similar results.

The starvation installs that I copied have already been run, so all the content of their TempMods folder has already been deployed and replaced all the regular files, so I don't get how the build process finds vanilla versions of the xmls, since they are nowhere in the clean install and working folders. Are they downloading them or something?

I'll keep trying, not sure what to do with this...

EDIT:

In the page about "How to manipulate War of the Walkers" I found about the Mod Helper tool and the backup folder that sits in the SDX0.7.1 folder. I guess that's where the vanilla files came from.

But when I delete the backup folder with the Mod Helper Tool, and then build with the SDX Launcher, I get this:

EVENT: Begin task: Backup game files

ERROR: This Assembly-CSharp.dll file has already been patched by SDX so can not be used as a backup. Reset your game files and try again.

ERROR: Task Backup game files failed

EVENT: Action completed at: 9/1/2018 9:11:59 PM and took 0.13 seconds

So is what I'm trying to do impossible with a mod that already modifies Assembly-CSharp.dll, or am I missing something?

Ok, so everything works fine when building on top of vanilla, but when I try to build on top of Starvation, it reverts the xml files to the vanilla ones for some reason...

Your tips and tricks page has a section about using non-vanilla files as a base. I did replace the content of the working folder with the Starvation install. I also tried replacing the clean install folder content by the Starvation install, in case it was building back from those files, but I had similar results.

The starvation installs that I copied have already been run, so all the content of their TempMods folder has already been deployed and replaced all the regular files, so I don't get how the build process finds vanilla versions of the xmls, since they are nowhere in the clean install and working folders. Are they downloading them or something?

I'll keep trying, not sure what to do with this...

EDIT:

In the page about "How to manipulate War of the Walkers" I found about the Mod Helper tool and the backup folder that sits in the SDX0.7.1 folder. I guess that's where the vanilla files came from.

But when I delete the backup folder with the Mod Helper Tool, and then build with the SDX Launcher, I get this:

EVENT: Begin task: Backup game files

ERROR: This Assembly-CSharp.dll file has already been patched by SDX so can not be used as a backup. Reset your game files and try again.

ERROR: Task Backup game files failed

EVENT: Action completed at: 9/1/2018 9:11:59 PM and took 0.13 seconds

So is what I'm trying to do impossible with a mod that already modifies Assembly-CSharp.dll, or am I missing something?

You are correct. You cannot re-instrument an SDX mod. You would need the source code for Starvation, in order to rebuild with the bigger back pack.

Ok thanks Sphereii, that will avoid me losing lots of time trying! ;)

Too bad, I like many things about the Starvation mod, especially the new animals, fishing and domesticating animals, but I can't go back to a tiny backpack, it's so annoying to do 100 back and forths, when you could just keep looting if you had more space. Limited inventory is not the kind of challenge I'm looking for with that game. I saw some threads with larger backpacks for Starvation but they don't seem built for the latest version.

I guess I'll keep working on my own homemade mod and start to learn how to add new animals. ;)

I already added simple survivors and bandits based on some of Bad company's code, so I guess I have already some learned pieces I'll be able to reuse.

Sorry for another stupid question, but the example in your tutorials is War of the Walkers, and this mod also seems to be an SDX mod with a modified Assembly dll, how can it work for that one? (I actually didn't try but the tutorial says it does work). I'm a bit confused cause we also don't have the source code for 7D2D vanilla but we still manage to inject in it cause it's C#, so why not with an SDX modded version of the dll?

Also, from my first post above, is there actually a mistake in the BiggerBackpack tutorial, or was I doing something wrong?

Ok thanks Sphereii, that will avoid me losing lots of time trying! ;)

Too bad, I like many things about the Starvation mod, especially the new animals, fishing and domesticating animals, but I can't go back to a tiny backpack, it's so annoying to do 100 back and forths, when you could just keep looting if you had more space. Limited inventory is not the kind of challenge I'm looking for with that game. I saw some threads with larger backpacks for Starvation but they don't seem built for the latest version.

I guess I'll keep working on my own homemade mod and start to learn how to add new animals. ;)

I already added simple survivors and bandits based on some of Bad company's code, so I guess I have already some learned pieces I'll be able to reuse.

Sorry for another stupid question, but the example in your tutorials is War of the Walkers, and this mod also seems to be an SDX mod with a modified Assembly dll, how can it work for that one? (I actually didn't try but the tutorial says it does work). I'm a bit confused cause we also don't have the source code for 7D2D vanilla but we still manage to inject in it cause it's C#, so why not with an SDX modded version of the dll?

Also, from my first post above, is there actually a mistake in the BiggerBackpack tutorial, or was I doing something wrong?

When the tutorials were first written, War of the Walkers was not an SDX Mods. It has since moved into SDX territory, so that section will be on the chopping block. With A17 on the horizon, the SDX tutorials will be updated once we figure it out.

The bigger back pack mod, I think, was broken when I added the Tool belt issue. I was working on CNS at the time, and I think I committed the wrong UI XML. I'll see if I can look at it in the next day or two and fix it.

Archived