RGMIXER.XML Edits

DurtySonuva

If you are using one of the mods, you might want to check with them. I say that because some of your hubs I don't recognize from vanilla so really hard to tell. Can't hurt to try it out and see what you get :) just make sure you have your task killer handy to manually shut it down if need be.

yea i use compopack and modded gnamod, should of said that sorry

it worked out great tho hi5 :triumphant:

yea i use compopack and modded gnamod, should of said that sorry

it worked out great tho hi5 :triumphant:

Sweet! Glad I could at least point you in the right direction to what you wanted.

Ohh I love when that happens! .. ok not really

That is a vanilla thing as well. Let me know If you remember how long ago you got the rwgmixer. I may have a newer one..

https://7daystodie.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19870&d=1492631152

This has my latest creation...

Yup using latest, I think some of my issues come from combo pack prefabs. I haven't explored much with your new mixer will do later when I get home

My anything is possible was basically referring to "Sure, if you want to take the time to peel what has actually went into the terrain/biome generation code". :)

I don't see why you couldn't have a biome mix and one be placed in each square section.. I also don't have any specific area that I can point at either. I also don't know 100% if you can tie the biomes to individual terrain modules but my gut tells me it should be possible even if I haven't been successful with it yet. Part of it is pure guess with everything I have worked with in the generator and part of it is how many different ways you can utilize the different modules.

I am still learning and the more I learn the more the system seems to be pretty robust and is why I am More confident than not this stuff can be done.

The stuff you want to do is just areas I have only dabbled in and I am more focused on trying to get more realistic terrain generation with the least amount of modules usage. Both areas are connected but different at the same time :)

I am just sorry I cant give you anything that is concrete to work with :(

Did a couple of "experiments", with this stuff here:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?52460-Biome-Generation-Experiments

It did literally nothing. I guess there are no cheap workarounds for lazy guys like myself, and to actually dig into the documentation, well... Maybe. One day.. I guess it simply won't work with the ring-setup in the "biome_spawn_rules".

But I got another one for you, now I'm trying to make a city biome that is fairly flat, could actually be fully flat. I magically managed to produce a flat world with my first manipulation of the code, changing the "0,190" to "0,0" here:

<module name="FastMntOutputSm" type="ClampOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="fastMountains"/>
<property name="bounds" value="0,0"/>
</module>

Could it possibly be possible to assign that to just one certain range, namely

<distance_from_center range="2500,3500"/>

? Without having sharp cliffs around the area..?

Did a couple of "experiments", with this stuff here:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?52460-Biome-Generation-Experiments

It did literally nothing. I guess there are no cheap workarounds for lazy guys like myself, and to actually dig into the documentation, well... Maybe. One day.. I guess it simply won't work with the ring-setup in the "biome_spawn_rules".

But I got another one for you, now I'm trying to make a city biome that is fairly flat, could actually be fully flat. I magically managed to produce a flat world with my first manipulation of the code, changing the "0,190" to "0,0" here:

<module name="FastMntOutputSm" type="ClampOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="fastMountains"/>
<property name="bounds" value="0,0"/>
</module>

Could it possibly be possible to assign that to just one certain range, namely

<distance_from_center range="2500,3500"/>

? Without having sharp cliffs around the area..?

I haven't had much success tying the biomes generation to terrain generation in that aspect.. Doesn't mean It can't, I just haven't gotten anything to work that is worth noting really.

If you get something to work consistently and mesh well with the surrounding biomes I would really be interested in what you did :) GL I am hoping you get somewhere with it.

IDK maybe A16 will have some new things we can play with that will make it possible/easier or something.

From what I am seeing is:

The Terrain generator will make the initial terrain. Then the biomes are like taking a piece of plastic wrap with all the biomes and decorations on top and then is stretched out and placed on the terrain afterwords (could be highly wrong in this thinking though which I'm sure I am in parts). I know the "seed additive" does have some affect with the biomes and the additive is part of terrain gen as well.

As far as the sharp cliff issues you can adjust that with edge falloff and the initial frequency used in the module.. and displacement.. and bias lol and power.. :p but edge falloff helps a lot.

I haven't had much success tying the biomes generation to terrain generation in that aspect.. Doesn't mean It can't, I just haven't gotten anything to work that is worth noting really.

If you get something to work consistently and mesh well with the surrounding biomes I would really be interested in what you did :) GL I am hoping you get somewhere with it.

IDK maybe A16 will have some new things we can play with that will make it possible/easier or something.

From what I am seeing is:

The Terrain generator will make the initial terrain. Then the biomes are like taking a piece of plastic wrap with all the biomes and decorations on top and then is stretched out and placed on the terrain afterwords (could be highly wrong in this thinking though which I'm sure I am in parts). I know the "seed additive" does have some affect with the biomes and the additive is part of terrain gen as well.

As far as the sharp cliff issues you can adjust that with edge falloff and the initial frequency used in the module.. and displacement.. and bias lol and power.. :p but edge falloff helps a lot.

What I am interested here is actually not tied to biome-generation at all, I just want to have a ring of flat terrain that is within a certain area from the center, in this case 2500 - 3500. With the rest being as it is. So I don't think that it should interfere with the biome-generator. But I don't see any variable that would have an influence on the distance. Is there some kind of "range"- or "distance"-property? If the terrain genrator even has any idea of that there is a center and whatnot.

The whole terrain generator seems oddly disconnected from the biomes, which is probably not odd at all, since it's a different piece of code. A connection probably is the terrain class (City, Desert, Hills, Water, Mountain), but I don't see anything for us to work with, like a "if it's the hills-class, generate this type of terrain".

What I am interested here is actually not tied to biome-generation at all, I just want to have a ring of flat terrain that is within a certain area from the center, in this case 2500 - 3500. With the rest being as it is. So I don't think that it should interfere with the biome-generator. But I don't see any variable that would have an influence on the distance. Is there some kind of "range"- or "distance"-property? If the terrain genrator even has any idea of that there is a center and whatnot.

The whole terrain generator seems oddly disconnected from the biomes, which is probably not odd at all, since it's a different piece of code. A connection probably is the terrain class (City, Desert, Hills, Water, Mountain), but I don't see anything for us to work with, like a "if it's the hills-class, generate this type of terrain".

Yeah the hills, mountain, desert deal doesn't affect it like that mostly changes the biome spectrum levels in a small way.. along with the spectrum you can add in manually.

Yeah, I currently could not tell you how to do that. I can make flat areas in the terrain but actually getting it to place at 0,0 would be a feat and pretty slick to accomplish. it would open a whole new level of terrain gen :)

Oh just a little FYI for anyone: the <layer filluptorg="60" blockname="water" /> while it doesn't necessarily the water really, it does affect the biome decorations still. if you remove it, it will remove all the decorations.

Yeah the hills, mountain, desert deal doesn't affect it like that mostly changes the biome spectrum levels in a small way.. along with the spectrum you can add in manually.

Yeah, I currently could not tell you how to do that. I can make flat areas in the terrain but actually getting it to place at 0,0 would be a feat and pretty slick to accomplish. it would open a whole new level of terrain gen :)

Oh just a little FYI for anyone: the <layer filluptorg="60" blockname="water" /> while it doesn't necessarily the water really, it does affect the biome decorations still. if you remove it, it will remove all the decorations.

<layer filluptorg="60" blockname="water" />

You can however use this one to your advantage if you want a world without water. If you remove it from the biome you spawn at water level (normally the water biome) it will create flat land where water is and generate decorations normally on that flat land (but not on any higher level terrain it may spawn on).

This already happens in vanilla in the radiated biome, if you go to the edge where water is you can see it happen, the water gets painted over by flat land with decorations while the rest remains undecorated. Sadly it doesnt play to well with distant terrain as for distant terrain it looks like water until you get close.

<layer filluptorg="60" blockname="water" />

You can however use this one to your advantage if you want a world without water. If you remove it from the biome you spawn at water level (normally the water biome) it will create flat land where water is and generate decorations normally on that flat land (but not on any higher level terrain it may spawn on).

This already happens in vanilla in the radiated biome, if you go to the edge where water is you can see it happen, the water gets painted over by flat land with decorations while the rest remains undecorated. Sadly it doesnt play to well with distant terrain as for distant terrain it looks like water until you get close.

Yeah, when I started the whole terrain gen stuff I just messed with it long enough to see what It affected with the water and seen it didn't really do much.. well in anyway that I wanted it to lol. I have only recently tried messing around with it to fully try and understand what it was fully capable of doing. Just figured it would be a nice lil tidbit to spread around.

• 2 weeks later...
any ideas on biome settings, im looking to effectively have more forest/desert then snow wastelands or burnt forest but im not sure how i can do that without ending up with odd biome layouts lol

A15.2 vanilla:

<biome_spawn_rules>
<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">
        <biome_generator range="0,0.1"/>
	<terrain_generator range="170,189"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">
	<biome_generator range="0.1,0.3"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
	<biome_generator range="0.3,0.4"/>
<biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">
	<biome_generator range="0.4,0.6"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
	<biome_generator range="0.6,0.7"/>
	<terrain_generator range="190,255"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
	<biome_generator range="0.7,0.8"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">
	<biome_generator range="0.8,1"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
	<distance_from_center range="10000,20000"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">
	<terrain_generator range="-31,-1"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

Example:

<biome_spawn_rules>
	<biome_generator range="0,0.2"/> <- the difference = 0.2
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.2,0.4"/> <- the difference = 0.2
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">
	<biome_generator range="0.4,0.45"/> <- the difference = 0.05
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.45,0.7"/> <- the difference = 0.25
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">
	<biome_generator range="0.7,0.75"/> <- the difference = 0.05
	<terrain_generator range="190,255"/>
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">
	<biome_generator range="0.75,0.8"/> <- the difference = 0.05
</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.8,1"/> <- the difference = 0.2 -> add all the differences together they = "1"
</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

The above will get you the "likely hood" of having more Pine/forest/desert/plain and less of the rest.

<biome_generator range="0,0.2"/> <- just think of this as a randomize/ or percentage

<distance_from_center range="10000,20000"/> <- is what it means

<terrain_generator range="-31,-1"/> <- height rule if you want biomes to appear at certain heights in the worlds elevation.

When using the biome_generator range=""

depending on how many biomes you want lets say forest,desert,pine are the only biomes you want to generate ... minus wasteland_hub that is a different deal.

<biome_generator range="0,0.3"/>  <-starts at "0"  The difference= 0.3 
</biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_generator range="0.3,0.6"/>                      The difference= 0.3
</biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_generator range="0.6,1"/>  <- ends at "1"   the difference= 0.4 -> add all the differences together it = "1"
</biome_spawn_rule>

If you wanted you could only have these three generate.

the only extra thing you would need to add is:

</biome_spawn_rule>

so then technicly speaking i could remove all but the three i want + radiation and it will not kick out any of them at all ? such as

<biome_spawn_rules>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.1,0.3"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.4,0.6"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.8,1"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

i messed with biome once and ended up turning my screen red xD

so then technicly speaking i could remove all but the three i want + radiation and it will not kick out any of them at all ? such as

i messed with biome once and ended up turning my screen red xD

xD

pretty much yes! but in you example it would need to look like:

<biome_spawn_rules>

<biome_generator range="0,0.1"/> <- notice how the range end with 0.1?

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.1,0.3"/> <- and this one start with 0.1 then ends with 0.3?

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.3,0.6"/> <- now my slight change this one starts with 0.3

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.6,1"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

or something similar. adding all the differences together to = "1" is the key.

or another example:

<biome_spawn_rules>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.1,0.4"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.4,0.7"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_generator range="0.7,1"/>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

for instance If you wanted just forest:

<biome_spawn_rules>

<biome_generator range="0,1"/> <- start with "0" ends with "1" the difference = "1"

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rule>

</biome_spawn_rules>

• 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI for all you world builders...

You can take your generators and use them in A16. However "BLEND" is now functioning (and probably others). So it might be a good time to do some extra exploring the terrain generator and see what new tricks you can come up with.

I have already transplanted my rules to the new mixer, but it seems the town spawner cannot find the flat land it needs and there are not as much towns as you would expect. Probably need to go and do some more trial and error and add in more flatter land rules as well.

I have already transplanted my rules to the new mixer, but it seems the town spawner cannot find the flat land it needs and there are not as much towns as you would expect. Probably need to go and do some more trial and error and add in more flatter land rules as well.

Should have put that in sorry... Yeah, you really need flat and smoother areas for the hubs to generate properly. Having rough terrain really kills the road layout system as well so don't make the flat areas too rough either (like with bumps n dips and such).

Well the road system is better now, the highways that is, but still it raises terrain to much sometimes and the gravel paths also still not so good sadly.

Yeah... When I was talking about the road system I meant for the roads that makeup the hubs but yeah the roads overall are a lot better... minus some edge cases. It is what it is with the gravel paths can't have it all. Well for now, who knows in the future.

Yeah... When I was talking about the road system I meant for the roads that makeup the hubs but yeah the roads overall are a lot better... minus some edge cases. It is what it is with the gravel paths can't have it all. Well for now, who knows in the future.

If they fix the places where the highways connect then those will become really good probably, especially if they do not raise terrain but rather create some layer of sand/gravel underneath and maybe also slightly smoothen the area around them. I really hope someday the gravel paths will behave the same, but at least they are mostly not going over to strange paths anymore.

Archived