True Survival

Spider

i had problems myself understanding the nutrition system, what i did its show the nutrition value in the hud so as player i get more info of whats going on. Seeing the actual values gives it more sense.

[see code in next post]

nutrition does reset on death (at least in my singleplayer game)

malnourished reset when nutrition>=15

its indeed very hard not to get bad diet buff once u die.

The .xml logic is fine, and that's why I mentioned that it should work as designed. My point is that nutrition is persisting after death in the player save file. Here's a recent test:

I created a new character on a server with the current nutrition system in place, and then ran a hexdump on the .ttp file:

hexdump -C <SteamID>.ttp | grep nutrition
000002f0  6e 75 74 72 69 74 69 6f  6e 00 45 47 72 61 70 68  |nutrition.EGraph|
00000360  00 ff ff ff ff 09 6e 75  74 72 69 74 69 6f 6e 00  |......nutrition.|

As expected nutrition is saved as a variable. Then I edited the buffs.xml removing ALL references to the nutrition system. I restarted the game server, logged the same character in, killed him. respawned and logged out. Checking the same player save file:

000005b0  09 6e 75 74 72 69 74 69  6f 6e 01 00 00 00 00 00  |.nutrition......|

So, a nutrition value appears to be saved in the player's save file forever, despite the fact that all references to nutrition were removed from buffs.xml. As a control test, I deleted the player save file and logged back in (with the no-nutrition version of buffs.xml). The new player save file had no reference to 'nutrition' at all.

Taking all this into consideration, I'm playing around with the 'initvars' buff (triggers on respawn after death) to see if adding a setvar 0 for nutrition, malnutrition and scratch will help. If not, IMO the whole nutrition/scratch system might not be salvageable.

One more question - there isn't a Duct Tape recipe in this mod. Duct Tape used in more than twenty recipes, for example in exploding crossbow bolts, armors, landmines, e.t.c. But I can loot it only in cars. I think this some disbalance.

Oh yeah, duct tape was one of the first things we re-added :smile-new: Along with the old glue recipe and several other things. For us, the insane shortage of basic staples (like glue and duct tape) and an ongoing gas blight, didn't really move the fun needle.

Oh yeah, duct tape was one of the first things we re-added :smile-new: Along with the old glue recipe and several other things. For us, the insane shortage of basic staples (like glue and duct tape) and an ongoing gas blight, didn't really move the fun needle.

I agree there should be a duct tape recipe. I was hoping I could use it once I got chemistry skill up enough to run glue recipe in chemstation. Disturbing that it doesn't exist. What is the "old glue recipe" that you mentioned and how does it differ from the chemstation glue recipe?

why do you need more gas? Isn't oil-shale sufficient to refine gas?

What is the "old glue recipe" that you mentioned and how does it differ from the chemstation glue recipe?

I think he mentioned he added back some recipes from vanilla game.

In vanilla glue was made from bones and murky water. In real life to weld glue is not difficult, you needn't be a master 75 lvl to do it.

Dead is dead?

Is there any way to turn off this mechanic? I do pretty good during the day, but at night the zombies just wander into my base breaking things and eventually find me. I am dying like twice a night and I can't increase my wellness whatsoever because I can't find anything that does it more that .1 at a time.

I agree there should be a duct tape recipe. I was hoping I could use it once I got chemistry skill up enough to run glue recipe in chemstation. Disturbing that it doesn't exist. What is the "old glue recipe" that you mentioned and how does it differ from the chemstation glue recipe?

why do you need more gas? Isn't oil-shale sufficient to refine gas?

I added a glue recipe requiring femur+bottled water.

As for the gas, the gasCan and Refinery perks required engineeringCraft level 40. And while the screwdriver perk unlocks at level 10, it's made in the blast furnace - which doesn't unlock until level 55. So, in order to get gas, you need to break down cars, which means that you either need to be a mechanic (with the 600 quality screwdriver) or use low quality looted screwdrivers (which are fairly rare). And when you do harvest a car, you're lucky to get 10 gas per car - and often none. The end result is that a group will often loot an area clean, but not have enough gas to move to another area (unless you want to make 30 trips by foot). In the early game, gas = exploration and exploration is fun.

In our opinion, challenge should come from getting resources and making it back alive; not getting to where resources should be and finding that they're not there.

Edited by Kast (see edit history)

Hey Bov, I'm up for a new adventure, count me in.

Lopezien

That's great, Lope. It was definitely more fun on server than SP. Which is what I came from, ironically.

Someone else has asked too, so four isn't a bad start. I'm interested in the changes/fixes before getting one set up though. I've already edited the RWGmixer to make it more "friendly" shall we say. Let hills and bigger towns essentially.

Lets keep it going.

That's great, Lope. It was definitely more fun on server than SP. Which is what I came from, ironically.

Someone else has asked too, so four isn't a bad start. I'm interested in the changes/fixes before getting one set up though. I've already edited the RWGmixer to make it more "friendly" shall we say. Let hills and bigger towns essentially.

Lets keep it going.

One more here - Sizemoe

Sweet.

It won't let me order a server on myblackboxhostingg. Is that the best option or are there better sites?

Edit. can purchase but I'd still like people's opinions of best rented server.

Also, has anyone got the capabilities to put the seed nursery back in? I can just lower the craft time but crafting it in backpack seems unnecessary when that mechanic was in on an earlier release.

Edited by obsidianmcbovril (see edit history)

Is there any way to turn off this mechanic? I do pretty good during the day, but at night the zombies just wander into my base breaking things and eventually find me. I am dying like twice a night and I can't increase my wellness whatsoever because I can't find anything that does it more that .1 at a time.

Someone offered a solution a few pages ago.

I copy/pasted the vanilla RWG mixer into TS because I couldn't stand the terrain code in True Survival (sorry Clockwork) and I missed pine forests. So far things seem to be working fine but I'm unsure if this is going to hurt the balance at all, obviously there is more water but I don't see that as game breaking.

Anyone know of any problems I'm going to run into with this change?

Edited by Xamllew (see edit history)

Hello

hmmm...I found a server called Ger PVE TruDIE A16.2 stable, which I thought/hoped was a TS server. I connected and after about 60 sec i got kicked and banned. I had True survival loaded. Can it be that i connected to a server that wasent true survival, and got banned for it?

/Flanders

The .xml logic is fine, and that's why I mentioned that it should work as designed. My point is that nutrition is persisting after death in the player save file. Here's a recent test:

I created a new character on a server with the current nutrition system in place, and then ran a hexdump on the .ttp file:

000002f0  6e 75 74 72 69 74 69 6f  6e 00 45 47 72 61 70 68  |nutrition.EGraph|
00000360  00 ff ff ff ff 09 6e 75  74 72 69 74 69 6f 6e 00  |......nutrition.|

As expected nutrition is saved as a variable. Then I edited the buffs.xml removing ALL references to the nutrition system. I restarted the game server, logged the same character in, killed him. respawned and logged out. Checking the same player save file:

000005b0  09 6e 75 74 72 69 74 69  6f 6e 01 00 00 00 00 00  |.nutrition......|

So, a nutrition value appears to be saved in the player's save file forever, despite the fact that all references to nutrition were removed from buffs.xml. As a control test, I deleted the player save file and logged back in (with the no-nutrition version of buffs.xml). The new player save file had no reference to 'nutrition' at all.

Taking all this into consideration, I'm playing around with the 'initvars' buff (triggers on respawn after death) to see if adding a setvar 0 for nutrition, malnutrition and scratch will help. If not, IMO the whole nutrition/scratch system might not be salvageable.

So the reference of the variable doesnt get deleted from the savegame, its value gets reset to 0 instead. How is this a problem?

So the reference of the variable doesnt get deleted from the savegame, its value gets reset to 0 instead. How is this a problem?

The first hex ( 00000360 00 ff ff ff ff 09 6e 75 74 72 69 74 69 6f 6e 00 ) is:

30 30 30 30 30 33 36 30 20 20 30 30 20 66 66 20 66 66 20 66 66 20 66 66 20 30 39 20 36 65 20 37 35 20 20 37 34 20 37 32 20 36 39 20 37 34 20 36 39 20 36 66 20 36 65 20 30 30

The second one ( 000005b0 09 6e 75 74 72 69 74 69 6f 6e 01 00 00 00 00 00 ) after death and respawn is:

30 30 30 30 30 35 62 30 20 20 30 39 20 36 65 20 37 35 20 37 34 20 37 32 20 36 39 20 37 34 20 36 39 20 20 36 66 20 36 65 20 30 31 20 30 30 20 30 30 20 30 30 20 30 30 20 30 30

That's not "0". I have no idea how this translates to the buff itself, but it's fairly clear that it's not a complete reset.

Hello

Since the diet mechanic is bugged, is there a way to disable it? also...anyone know of a TS server up and running?

/Flanders

Im buffs.xml, add the "min" and "max" values below to disable the negative nutrition and scratch effects:

<buff id="nutrition_30_Trigger" duration="1" actions="increment(nutrition, 30, 0, 0, 1);min(nutrition, 0)" />
<buff id="nutritionFade" buffif="nutrition greater 0" debuffif="nutrition less 1" duration="0" actions="increment(nutrition, -1, 900, 0, 0);min(nutrition, 0)" />

<buff id="scratch" duration="1" actions="increment(scratch, 1, 0, 0, 1);max(scratch, 0)" />
<buff id="scratchesHealing" duration="0" buffif="scratch less 6" debuffif="scratch gequal 6" actions="increment(scratch, -1, 1200, 0, 0);max(scratch, 0)" />

And then remove the requires="goodNutrition1Tag" flag from the eatFood Triggers so that food will potentially heal you:

<buff id="eatFood_1_Trigger" requires="goodNutrition1Tag" duration="1" actions="increment(CTRfood, 1, 0, 0, 1)

Edited by Kast (see edit history)

I copy/pasted the vanilla RWG mixer into TS because I couldn't stand the terrain code in True Survival (sorry Clockwork) and I missed pine forests. So far things seem to be working fine but I'm unsure if this is going to hurt the balance at all, obviously there is more water but I don't see that as game breaking.

Anyone know of any problems I'm going to run into with this change?

None that I've noticed doing the same. as long as you leave the biomes xml untouched you will still find growing random food for example.

i cant say mush about the hex data or how 7 days to die handle variables, perhaps if u delete all references to the variable in scripts, it becomes unmanaged/ignored so maybe that's why it didn't reset to 0 in your example or maybe we are just interpreting the hex wrongly. However with the code i put on post post754263

u can see the effective value of the buff in real time, you can see how its resets to 0 when u die, how it fades every x time, how it increases with every food with nutrition u eat, and how it removes bad diet and give good diet when its 15, gives u balanced diet on 25 and healthy diet on 35. Working as intended. It could use more player feedback tho (I think this is the problem that is a long term buff with no feedback), i was frustrated with the mechanism myself until i added the values to UI.

Edited by Hydr0 (see edit history)

Hydro, where in the buff.xml does this nutrition code go for the UI and is there any open or close statements for this code?

the code must go inside the <buffs>...</buffs> root at any position (for example at the end)

here is a link with the modified version of buffs.xml https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByM_t7QBCggQWU9TZ0szWVdyMDA

just download it and replace <Game Folder>/Data/Config/buffs.xml

Note: the first time you install it you may not see the value in the UI until something updates the variable value (ej you eat something with nutrition or your actual value fades)

Edited by Hydr0
added note (see edit history)

People are still posting here huh... lol. Thought I'd check in. All ya'll talking about the Nutrition custom variable . The information about the variable resetting on death is known and was accounted for when the buff was built. I spent more than a week testing and understanding how the code deals with the custom variables resetting(because it handles them strangely) to get the system to work as intended. Its working as intended, the only thing that I know of that would make it not work properly is changing the Day Length setting to be more or less than 60min. Changing that setting will cause a unbalanced Nutrition System causing the buffs to fade to quickly or last to long..