V1.0 b336 Hotfix

It seems a lot of console players have no problems with FPS. and others have massive problems. I would have thought with the uniform platform that should not happen, but it does. One possible explanation:

There are lots of blocks in 7D2D, some of them are easy to draw and others very expensive to draw (a lot of vertices). In most other games the level designers carefully design each area so that it never exceeds the capabilities of the machine. In 7D2D though you have RWG placing random POIs and also players placing all kinds of blocks.

Long story short, always expect FPS drops in city centers with high rise buildings and don't make it worse by putting your horde base there. And most importantly, don't grow a forest of trees (one example of a very expensive block) in viewing range of your horde base. Better also put farm plots and dew collectors far away. Also good lighting sadly kills FPS. Better use headlights on horde night instead of using flood lights everwhere.

8 hours ago, Tixij said:

Can’t speak for the OP, but I can say that I also have big issues with fps on later horde nights, and mine is indeed set at the default 8. It was fine for the first couple, then really plummeted for the following blood moons. It’s pretty much a slideshow at this point. Also in the wasteland in general it sometimes gets noticeably choppy, more so in cities. Not sure if there’s any settings I can try to help it, but hopefully they can optimize in some way to where the default settings can maintain a decent frame rate in those two areas. 

Hmm...maybe the Wasteland biome has something to do with it, but I'm not sure though so please don't quote me on that lol. Also, doesn't the Wasteland constantly spawn zombies at night time more so than all of the other biomes in the game? I'm no dev or expert, but maybe there's a lot of factors coming into play where the Wasteland biome which causes higher spawn rates for zombies, on top of horde night taking place in higher populated areas like big cities could possibly be a factor to why the frame rate is taking such a nose dive?

With that said, I recently just finished a Day 56 horde night with a Gamestage of 130+ in the Pine Forest and didn't have any major slowdowns with the frame rate. And is it possible that it might be due to the biome and location you have your horde base in that's causing the frame rate to slowdown for you? And lastly, are you playing offline solo or online multiplayer with other people? In my honest opinion, your best bet is to start documenting it with recorded gameplay footage, list the platform you're currently playing on (PC/PS5/X|S), map, biome, location, day, gamestage, blood moon count, etc to better help the devs locate the source of the problem on what's causing the frame rate to slowdown during horde nights for you.

Cheers! ☺

Edited by II Blittz II
Misspelling (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, daddydooku said:

Anyone know if series s will ever get more than 2 player hosting just feels weird that I can't host more than 1 friend for multiplayer

When dedicated server come to Console, you'll be able to play with more than 2 players. With that said, as far as the Series S goes for hosting online multiplater games, it just doesn't have the RAM capabilities to host more than 2 players. The Series S comes with 10 GB of RAM and then when you factor in the Operating System and System Files, that's about 3 GB right there. The more players you have, the more RAM it needs to allocate per player. Keep in mind, when you host an online game, it's using your Series S as a virtual server to host that game, meaning it's using that Console's hardware such as CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. And if I had to guess, the Series S would need at least 8 GB of RAM to host 4 players plus being able to leave some headroom for the Memory/RAM.

49 minutes ago, II Blittz II said:

Hmm...maybe the Wasteland biome has something to do with it, but I'm not sure though so please don't quote me on that lol. Also, doesn't the Wasteland constantly spawn zombies at night time more so than all of the other biomes in the game? I'm no dev or expert, but maybe there's a lot of factors coming into play where the Wasteland biome which causes higher spawn rates for zombies, on top of horde night taking place in higher populated areas like big cities could possibly be a factor to why the frame rate is taking such a nose dive?

With that said, I recently just finished a Day 56 horde night with a Gamestage of 130+ in the Pine Forest and didn't have any major slowdowns with the frame rate. And is it possible that it might be due to the biome and location you have your horde base in that's causing the frame rate to slowdown for you? And lastly, are you playing offline solo or online multiplayer with other people? In my honest opinion, your best bet is to start documenting it with recorded gameplay footage, list the platform you're currently playing on (PC/PS5/X|S), map, biome, location, day, gamestage, blood moon count, etc to better help the devs locate the source of the problem on what's causing the frame rate to slowdown during horde nights for you.

Cheers! ☺

It is most noticeable and consistent in the wasteland, so I agree there is probably something with that biome specifically. I think if I had a horde base there, it might blow my console up. 🥲

I also have the base in Pine Forest. I think it was stage 170 or so. And I’m on ps5. I will say that the experience I’m speaking from specifically at the moment was in multiplayer. So that probably has a lot to do with it, spawning extra zombies and things. However, I have also seen similar drops in my solo game as well, they just aren’t as bad and I’m also not as far along yet. I know consoles have a lot more limitations though, so I don’t know if there’s much more optimizing to be done.

There was a chunk persistence option when starting a new game, which is set to “very long” by default on ps5(it’s unlimited on my pc). I don’t know if lowering that would do anything at all performance wise, or if that’s strictly only related to save file size which it mentions in the description. I could try it the next time I start a new game. 

Thanks for the suggestions and input

18 minutes ago, Tixij said:

There was a chunk persistence option when starting a new game, which is set to “very long” by default on ps5(it’s unlimited on my pc). I don’t know if lowering that would do anything at all performance wise, or if that’s strictly only related to save file size which it mentions in the description. I could try it the next time I start a new game. 

Not sure, but I currently have my Chunk Persistence set to "Medium" and haven't had any issues during horde nights so far.

Someone pushed the wrong dedicated server version to the stable channel (beta v1.1 instead of v1.0 b336).

Updating dedicated servers using SteamCMD will result in servers switching over to a beta of v1.1.

Also of note, as of this post at least, updating the dedicated server will once again overwrite our serverconfig.xml (yet again).

22 hours ago, Alusious said:

LOVE IT! I will play after work and really hopeful that the hitching/lag/stutter is more manageable. It was so bad even in single player, lots of broken legs and infections that I wouldn't otherwise have gotten x.x

Still got a lot of stutter or hitching. It felt a lot better but anywhere that was 'busy' was having issues. After my multiplayer session I went into solo and it was also a bit better until I went to highrise "7 days hotel" or something like that. I got 10 fps the entire time I was there. After 10 mins of that I hated life. Ended up scrapping everything rather than looting to get out faster....

13 hours ago, Tixij said:

Can’t speak for the OP, but I can say that I also have big issues with fps on later horde nights, and mine is indeed set at the default 8. It was fine for the first couple, then really plummeted for the following blood moons. It’s pretty much a slideshow at this point. Also in the wasteland in general it sometimes gets noticeably choppy, more so in cities. Not sure if there’s any settings I can try to help it, but hopefully they can optimize in some way to where the default settings can maintain a decent frame rate in those two areas. 

I agree with the cities thing. ~10fps the entire time clearing the 7dayshotel or whatever it was called. (Xbox One X)

On 8/15/2024 at 12:06 PM, Hated said:

Should this still be an issue in V1.1 ..

V1.1 will have a bug report feature for console, which would grant us access to the output log and see what is going on on your friend's end, so this can be addressed rapidly.

Are you aware of this bug?

Just now, ammonitia said:

Basically, on Series S at least, zombies are stopping too short and often can't hit your hitbox if your camera is positioned on them. You can cheese most zombies this way.

On 8/15/2024 at 5:20 PM, Sarakatunga said:
Hi, I'm already confused, I updated my server to 1.1 exp because of the vehicle problem, does this version 1.0 b336 solve that problem? I don't know if I should go back to 1.0 again or wait for the stable 1.1. I'm going with the second option, but I see that some players from other platforms can't log in to 1.1. Mm, will it take a long time for the stable 1.1? Or should I go back to 1.0? Thanks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that experimental releases are only available on PCs? So if you update a server to an experimental version, console users may not be able to join?

I believe that's the case due to restrictions by Microsoft and Sony, but I could easily be wrong.

6 hours ago, ammonitia said:

Basically, on Series S at least, zombies are stopping too short and often can't hit your hitbox if your camera is positioned on them. You can cheese most zombies this way.

Uh oh. It looks like she needs an Animation Event Bridge. 😁

14 minutes ago, Arez said:

Uh oh. It looks like she needs an Animation Event Bridge. 😁

Ha ha, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

(For those who don't know: If you create custom humanoid entities for 7D2D in Unity, you need to put a script on the Unity prefabs called "AnimationEventBridge". That script is called by certain animations, and does stuff like coordinate animations with hits.)

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

1 hour ago, khzmusik said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that experimental releases are only available on PCs? So if you update a server to an experimental version, console users may not be able to join?

I believe that's the case due to restrictions by Microsoft and Sony, but I could easily be wrong.

I don't think console has access to servers yet... do they?  I thought they could only do console to console hosted connections until crossplay was available.

But yes, console doesn't get experimental.

ok just started the game after the update and now the world looks wrong... it looks like the workd is stretched vertically! ceilings look higher than they used to. fov is set to default as always so no idea.. has anyone lese noticed this or is just my old eyes playing up??? 

Edit. im playing on a 16:10 monitor like i have for the last 8 years... it looks like the game is stretching the 16:9 to fit a 16:10 screen....  

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, spud42 said:

ok just started the game after the update and now the world looks wrong... it looks like the workd is stretched vertically! ceilings look higher than they used to. fov is set to default as always so no idea.. has anyone lese noticed this or is just my old eyes playing up??? 

Edit. im playing on a 16:10 monitor like i have for the last 8 years... it looks like the game is stretching the 16:9 to fit a 16:10 screen....  

Maybe adjust the resolution?  Even if it's correct, change it and apply changes then change it back.  I just played tonight with the current 1.0 version (I'm not on experimental this time around) and it looks normal.  Granted, I'm not on 16:10 and maybe it's a problem with that size.  But worth a try anyhow.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

switching between 16:9 and 16:10.

The image seems to be preserving the view of the 9 and stretching it to the 10 with the disadvantage of cutting off the sides of the screen. instead of keeping the width and showing more top and bottom. its making the picture look squished like a 16:9 video on a 4:3 TV.

I had the issue of me and my friend not being able to spawn in the server. The day yall put the hot fix out and Friday it worked and we played all day. Today I'm having that same problem. Can't load into the world. Can I get another hot fix please? I'm on xbox series x

Edited by erlu (see edit history)

On 8/16/2024 at 8:46 AM, Sora said:

Someone pushed the wrong dedicated server version to the stable channel (beta v1.1 instead of v1.0 b336).

Updating dedicated servers using SteamCMD will result in servers switching over to a beta of v1.1.

Also of note, as of this post at least, updating the dedicated server will once again overwrite our serverconfig.xml (yet again).

^ please fix this

13 hours ago, spud42 said:

switching between 16:9 and 16:10.

The image seems to be preserving the view of the 9 and stretching it to the 10 with the disadvantage of cutting off the sides of the screen. instead of keeping the width and showing more top and bottom. its making the picture look squished like a 16:9 video on a 4:3 TV.

If you window it (F4) does it retain the stretched aspect or does it make a 16:9 window?

On 15.08.2024 at 17:24, Hated said:

Эй, выжившие !

Hello, could you add to the server settings, the option to limit simultaneously connected users during the blood moon like "ServerMaxPlayerCount" --> "ServerMaxPlayerCountBloodMoon" this will be very helpful for those who have their own dedicated servers, because even on very good equipment 30 players play normally, at the same time during the blood moon if it reaches 15 -20 then all zombies stop in place, regardless of the server configuration

On 8/16/2024 at 1:53 PM, meganoth said:

It seems a lot of console players have no problems with FPS. and others have massive problems. I would have thought with the uniform platform that should not happen, but it does. One possible explanation:

There are lots of blocks in 7D2D, some of them are easy to draw and others very expensive to draw (a lot of vertices). In most other games the level designers carefully design each area so that it never exceeds the capabilities of the machine. In 7D2D though you have RWG placing random POIs and also players placing all kinds of blocks.

Long story short, always expect FPS drops in city centers with high rise buildings and don't make it worse by putting your horde base there. And most importantly, don't grow a forest of trees (one example of a very expensive block) in viewing range of your horde base. Better also put farm plots and dew collectors far away. Also good lighting sadly kills FPS. Better use headlights on horde night instead of using flood lights everwhere.

I would also recommend limited light sources like torches, candles, light bulbs, lamps etc. Also digging a mine underneath the main base or Blood Moon structure adds to drops in FPS. The best Blood Moon Base is in the desolate area for higher FPS. Plus, players should restart their servers every 24 hours if they keep on running the game permanently. Such steps could spare a lot of headaches.

Also, on the devs side, every structure and object in the game should rather have at least 3-4 levels of mesh grid/polygons depending on the distance from the player`s position/vision, this could boost performance significantly. 

Few izi steps to kill FPS:

- move to the centre of the biggest possible town,

- place the main base close to Blood Moon base or build all-in wonder WWII bunker with 5+ stores/levels,

- place 14+ spinning blades all around,

- set 120+ spikes all around,

- place 14+ light sources,

- place 6+ automatic turrets,

- dig tunnels underneath the main base,

- plant 40 trees nearby,

- mine the fields with electric fences, 

- set max spawnable zeds during the blood moon,

- invite 3+ plus mates for the blood moon,

Ohh I forgot about hanging gardens with 40+ farm plots...

35 frames in progress... remind me if I forgot about something

then proceed with an official complaint about frame times and input/output lag on the official 7DTD forum...

!!!congratulations!!!

Edited by TWORDY
farm plots (see edit history)