A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

double post

Well might as well put some thing here:

Almost died last game session when the rock I tried to mine turned out to be a bear who didn't take too kindly to being hit with a pick axe.

lol, the number of times I've done that... it's such a crack up ;)

One thing i think i noticed the other day, it was awhile ago so i don't remember exactly, but i think i was trying to make a bowl of water, but i has refrigerated all my water, and apparently you cant use cold water in recipes that need bottled water. Any way you can make the recipes take either bottled water OR cold bottled water? If not, how to I make my cold water to be warm again lol

I'll look into adding a way to convert the water back. Maybe by clicking on a campfire in the same way you turn the water cold by clicking on a fridge.

double post

Well might as well put some thing here:

Almost died last game session when the rock I tried to mine turned out to be a bear who didn't take too kindly to being hit with a pick axe.

The real impressive thing here is that you got close enough to mine a bear in the first place.

The real impressive thing here is that you got close enough to mine a bear in the first place.

Well I was sprinting from rock to rock - I was quite taken by surprise when the rock turned around and hit me back.

My GF said she heard a loud squeal but I'm sure it was a manly shout.

Scrap Cable. Holy smokes is this stuff hard to come by. I found a small amount in a crate at the hardware store, but we've disassembled tons of cars and have yet to see any drop from those. Are they specific to control panels and such or are we just extremely unlucky?

Thanks!

**Edit - Apparently we've tried scrapping panels as well for the scrap cable and have yet to get any from there either.

Cars don't drop cable (from harvesting, can get them in the loot), but you can get them every time from fridges and ovens, and you should be geting them from control panels, provided you are using a wrench

Also I think you're missing something here. Survivor Notes are a big part of Valmod and reading them gives you a skill point. You dont HAVE to level to get skill points. Quests give skill points and survivor notes give skill points. In theory you have an infinite number of skill points you can find.

You cant buy perks with note (unless i missed something), so you still need to get to lvl 177. And you gain no exp by using a note to gain a skill. You are right that quest gives skill point to, but finding those depends on luck :-)

did you happen to tweak car loot tables? I see they weren't in this update but I don't know if it was already updated in an older one or might still even be planned.

Yeah. They were buffed a bit to have a chance to drop some nicer stuff.

<lootgroup name="carFood" count="1">

<item name="bottledWater"/>

<item name="beer"/>

<item group="junkFood"/>

<item group="cannedfood"/>

</lootgroup>

<lootgroup name="carResources" count="1">

<item group="guns+ammo"/>

<item group="medicine"/>

<item group="sportingGoods"/>

<item group="carFood"/>

</lootgroup>

<lootgroup name="automotive+tools+junk" count="1,2">

<item group="junk" prob="0.6" count="0,1"/>

<item group="automotive" prob="0.15" count="0,1"/>

<item group="tools" prob="0.15" count="0,1"/>

<item group="carResources" prob="0.1" count="1"/>

</lootgroup>

You cant buy perks with note (unless i missed something), so you still need to get to lvl 177. And you gain no exp by using a note to gain a skill. You are right that quest gives skill point to, but finding those depends on luck :-)

Survivor Notes can be read to gain a skill point. Skill points are what you use to buy perks. True, it gives no exp to your character but again you dont really NEED to level your character. The max you need your character level to unlock a perk based off requirements is 40. Some perks require you be 40 to unlock them, but thats as high as it goes. Technically after that point you could unlock everything else without leveling your character anymore.

Survivor Notes can be read to gain a skill point. Skill points are what you use to buy perks. True, it gives no exp to your character but again you dont really NEED to level your character. The max you need your character level to unlock a perk based off requirements is 40. Some perks require you be 40 to unlock them, but thats as high as it goes. Technically after that point you could unlock everything else without leveling your character anymore.

How do you get the skill point with notes ?? All i can see is that i can buy skill point in a specifik skill with notes.

Looks like im doing something wrong, if you say i can use notes to get skill point to spent in perks, plz explain to me how to turn notes into skill points, i can spent on perks ??? :-)

How do you get the skill point with notes ?? All i can see is that i can buy skill point in a specifik skill with notes.

Looks like im doing something wrong, if you say i can use notes to get skill point to spent in perks, plz explain to me how to turn notes into skill points, i can spent on perks ??? :-)

You might be looking at the books. There are books that will give you specific +1 to some skills (and perks too!) and there are the yellow notes that just flat out give a generic skill point that you can spend on anything.

This is in overhaul, not sure how val has done the expansion version if that is what you are playing.

This is a new way of doing it since 3.0 so if you are on an older version then that could also be the difference in what you are seeing.

Ohhh, that explains a lot, i run Expansion version, so we are just talking past each other, thx for clearing this out :-D

Guess i have to read up on the Overhaul version, i allways understood it as the Overhaul version was a mini of the expansion version.

Ohhh, that explains a lot, i run Expansion version, so we are just talking past each other, thx for clearing this out :-D

Guess i have to read up on the Overhaul version, i allways understood it as the Overhaul version was a mini of the expansion version.

The main diff from what i've read of the expansion version vs overhaul is that overhaul locks a lot more of the vanilla crafting at the start, and there is no class system in expansion.

Overhaul is def the way to go for a fun experience that changes the game up a lot better than vanilla offers. Does take some time to adjust to what is and isn't possible to craft early on in the game.

Has anyone else ever encountered a null reference when looting a zombie bag or not being able to loot a bag?

I think I came across this issue last night. Blood moon came and I got swarmed before I could make it into my base. (I was literally right outside of it.) And I died, RIP, when I respawned I could see my bag on my waypoint. But I couldn't find it anywhere. Like it fell through the map or something. I logged off and logged back in to see if that fixed it. I noticed that I got an error screen right before the game loaded. Checked it out and saw a null reference. Never could find the bag either.

Cars don't drop cable (from harvesting, can get them in the loot), but you can get them every time from fridges and ovens, and you should be geting them from control panels, provided you are using a wrench

Ok cool, definitely have been using a wrench. Guess I'm just unlucky, haven't really found much. And I've been wrenching down ovens and fridges. I'll keep trying though, thanks for your input and help fellas!

Great Mod, i have an issue when playing, i get an error sometimes using forge or cement mixer while crating.

Setup is dedicated server on another pc an playing on main computer and connecting. I dont know if its related with the double recipes for cement or concrete mix, but i got these errors only there so far. Is there a way around quitting game and reconnecting to server?

Btw: great Mod, i love it. the streetlight seems a bit dark in comparison to other lights, maybe its the distance to ground.

PS: Error shows up sometimes, not always, and only on client side, i will take a look if the log shows something.

I want to play in a server that is using overhaul pack mod but I want to still be able to play on the regular servers the classic way. Does this mod overwrite stuff? I am worried that when I try to play in a normal server there will be problems.

Updated to newest version of Overhaul, and after 10 mins of playing i love it allready, it fixed my lvl'ing problems so i guess it wont be need to raise skill lvl's to 200/500 as everything can now be done with notes :-)

But first time i played this i found a lot of combinations to open suitcases, but no suitcases (can be i did noticed the different name on stumps until late game). Second time i played this i found a lot of suitcases, but no combinations even that i kiled and looted over 1000 zombies, so just going to ask if something is messed up with this ??

Also in total i have found like 2 paint and 3 dyetubes in total, are they really to be this rare ???

The main diff from what i've read of the expansion version vs overhaul is that overhaul locks a lot more of the vanilla crafting at the start, and there is no class system in expansion.

Overhaul is def the way to go for a fun experience that changes the game up a lot better than vanilla offers. Does take some time to adjust to what is and isn't possible to craft early on in the game.

The expansion does have a class system, actually. The only difference between the two is that Overhaul locks the crafting down and Expansion doesn't. Basically.

Great Mod, i have an issue when playing, i get an error sometimes using forge or cement mixer while crating.

Setup is dedicated server on another pc an playing on main computer and connecting. I dont know if its related with the double recipes for cement or concrete mix, but i got these errors only there so far. Is there a way around quitting game and reconnecting to server?

Btw: great Mod, i love it. the streetlight seems a bit dark in comparison to other lights, maybe its the distance to ground.

PS: Error shows up sometimes, not always, and only on client side, i will take a look if the log shows something.

I'll keep an eye out for such bugs but it might just be general vanilla oddities. The game still has a lot of bugs in it, afterall.

I want to play in a server that is using overhaul pack mod but I want to still be able to play on the regular servers the classic way. Does this mod overwrite stuff? I am worried that when I try to play in a normal server there will be problems.

The mod absolutely overwrite stuff. To play a server with you you'll need the mod installed. As not all the files push to the client from the server this can cause issues when you try to play vanilla.

One solution to this is to copy your 7DTD install folder. Call the duplicate folder Modded and install the mod to it. Then make a shortcut to launcher on your desktop. Now when you want to play vanilla launch vanilla, when you want to play modded launch modded. That is the easiest solution.

Updated to newest version of Overhaul, and after 10 mins of playing i love it allready, it fixed my lvl'ing problems so i guess it wont be need to raise skill lvl's to 200/500 as everything can now be done with notes :-)

But first time i played this i found a lot of combinations to open suitcases, but no suitcases (can be i did noticed the different name on stumps until late game). Second time i played this i found a lot of suitcases, but no combinations even that i kiled and looted over 1000 zombies, so just going to ask if something is messed up with this ??

Also in total i have found like 2 paint and 3 dyetubes in total, are they really to be this rare ???

Sounds like your issue then was that you were still playing an older version of the mod where survivor notes were spent in the study desk rather than read for points. :)

The combinations, much like the suitcases, are rare loot. Combinations can only be found on dead corpses around the world and survivor's briefcases can only be found in suspicious stumps.

The dyes are purposely rare, yes. Largely because they're only used for cosmetic purposes so I didn't want people finding tons of this "worthlelss" item everywhere.

Well I will need to reinstall the entire game to do that...

Also: How can I know what mod a particular server is running? And how can you manage multiple mods? Because servers use different mods sometimes, and if mod overwrite stuff it can be a mess..

I have no played this game for months so I don't really know how the mod feels compared to modern vanilla so its very confusing.

For example im trying to boil some murky water. I can't simply use fire with a glass of murky water anymore. I dont know if its cause of the new version or the mod.

I have tried doing it with a bowl that i filled with murky water, and it still doesn't work. It says I need tools. I don't have a cooking pot or the cooking grill but in tools in black and white there is a drawing of a bowl and I already own the bowl so I don't get it.

Does it mean that i need the 3 things? (the cooking pot, grill and bowl). Do i need to place the items on the "tools" squares or just have them in the inventary? Cause I've tried placing the bowl, and it does nothing, i cant place it.

Also.. the flashlight on the mining hat does not work.. anyone knows a fix? I have tried re-equiping it but does nothing, i press f and it does nothing..

The dyes are purposely rare, yes. Largely because they're only used for cosmetic purposes so I didn't want people finding tons of this "worthlelss" item everywhere.

I would request that there be recipes for creating the spray paint and dyes, as some of us like the cosmetic aspect of things. I just noticed today that you can upgrade steel with paint! In the chemistry station, perhaps?

normal icons no longer showing up

I love this Mod, so far its so great. But a bunch of the game icons like "steel Fireaxe" "cotton" "yucca seed" and many more are not showing up in game. They are just blank icons with the number in the square. Is there any fix for this?

1. Well I will need to reinstall the entire game to do that...

2. Also: How can I know what mod a particular server is running? And how can you manage multiple mods? Because servers use different mods sometimes, and if mod overwrite stuff it can be a mess..

3. I have no played this game for months so I don't really know how the mod feels compared to modern vanilla so its very confusing.

4. For example im trying to boil some murky water. I can't simply use fire with a glass of murky water anymore. I dont know if its cause of the new version or the mod.

5. I have tried doing it with a bowl that i filled with murky water, and it still doesn't work. It says I need tools. I don't have a cooking pot or the cooking grill but in tools in black and white there is a drawing of a bowl and I already own the bowl so I don't get it.

6. Does it mean that i need the 3 things? (the cooking pot, grill and bowl). Do i need to place the items on the "tools" squares or just have them in the inventary? Cause I've tried placing the bowl, and it does nothing, i cant place it.

7. Also.. the flashlight on the mining hat does not work.. anyone knows a fix? I have tried re-equiping it but does nothing, i press f and it does nothing..

I numbered this to make it easier.

1. Yeah. Its a small game, though. If that isn't an option you could open the Data folder and make a copy of the config folder. Keep the modded config folder and vanilla config folder and just jump back and forth according to which one you want to play. Its what I do.

2. I'd imagine the server would mention the name of the mod its using in its name. I know searching for Valmod in the server list turns out a lot Valmodded servers.

Sometimes it might be tricky to tell if they are using the expansion or overhaul though because they don't always specify that. Personally I just join the game and see if I can craft an armory. If I can then its Overhaul since Expansion Pack doesn't have an Armory.

You might be misunderstanding how modding on a servers works. Playing on a modded server does not erase your files or replace your files with theirs. You still need the mod installed to get the full effect but the server's modded files do not replace yours in that way.

3. Okay? Then play vanilla. I dont know what to tell you. Certainly don't play the Overhaul version. Expansion Pack is just an an expansion pack for the vanilla base game so it wouldn't be any radically different (except for maybe the cooking using bowls of water). If you're confused or uncomfortable with it though because you don't know vanilla anymore then don't waste your time with it, just go play vanilla.

4. You need a cooking pot added to the tools of the campfire. Then you can turn murky water into clean water. This is a vanilla mechanic.

5. You need the cooking pot to boil water. You put the cooking pot in the slot. Boiling foods requires a bowl of water as a tool

(this is a Valmod feature). Tools are items you place in the slots. They are not ingredients used in recipes.

6. Yes. You place them in the tools square, just having them in the inventory is not a enough. This is a vanilla mechanic.

Drag and drop the item into the toolslot in the campfire.

7. Not sure. Works fine for me. Spam click F maybe.

I would request that there be recipes for creating the spray paint and dyes, as some of us like the cosmetic aspect of things. I just noticed today that you can upgrade steel with paint! In the chemistry station, perhaps?

I might add recipes for them. Not sure. As for steel, yes, thats part of the Decor Steel system (check it out in the artisan decor station). Basically you can use a paint can on a steel block to change its texture. This means you can build a house that looks like wood but has the durability and stability of steel. Bit sad that so few people seem to realize this is possible lol.

I didn't play a while. I can't figure out what for is the new ammo you can choose in any weapon, with the three bullets in the symbol. Is this from this mod?

Yes. New ammo has been a part of my mod since the beginning. Incendiary Ammo sets enemies on fire and Hollow Points deal more damage. You unlock the recipes for these by buying the ammo perk twice. Level 1 unlocks basic ammo, level 2 unlocks modded ammo.

I love this Mod, so far its so great. But a bunch of the game icons like "steel Fireaxe" "cotton" "yucca seed" and many more are not showing up in game. They are just blank icons with the number in the square. Is there any fix for this?

Probably. It sounds like when you updated the mod you didn't merge the mods folder. Try deleting your Mods folder and then add the Mods folder in from the download zip file. The Mods folder is what has all the icons.

Yes. New ammo has been a part of my mod since the beginning. Incendiary Ammo sets enemies on fire and Hollow Points deal more damage. You unlock the recipes for these by buying the ammo perk twice. Level 1 unlocks basic ammo, level 2 unlocks modded ammo.

Sorry, my English is not the best. What you wrote I still know. If you hold a weapon in your hand and make a long R-click you'll get a window to choose your sort of ammo. There is a new symbol I do not know. 3 bullets in a line. I can't find which kind of ammo I can load with this symbol.

Archived