Tempered blade not on picks? Bug or feature

Yep, same thing as the serrated blade mod

But think about it for a second, it is a blade mod

So the following items typically have a blade or blade edge:  Axe, shovel, blades, spears, and the steel knuckles

Pick axes have a point, but not a cutting edge like the ones above

7 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Pick axes have a point, but not a cutting edge like the ones above

What's the metal behind the point in a pick axe called?

Tempered point mod would sound weird.. but not as weird as Serrated Point, that's kinda definitionally a 2D-shape trying to fit into a 1D space. 😃 

2 hours ago, theFlu said:

What's the metal behind the point in a pick axe called?

The point is the pick and the rear part is called the chisel (or sometimes head or axe) - which is where they got pick axe for the name of the tool.

The steel version in game has the chisel end (flat edge horizonal to the handle).  Another version of the pickaxe has the "axe" end which is the edge running vertically to the handle.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

The point is the pick and the rear part is called the chisel

Pfft.. I was just being silly. "The point" is dimensionless, roughly just the last atom of iron at the tip of _something_. "What's that something"? But if you mean the metal between the point and the handle is "pick" then all right. :)

We're really splitting hairs here though.

For the purposes of the game, I don't think it is unreasonable that the blade mods could be compatible with the pickaxe.

I mean sure, technically the shovel head is a blade, but who thinks of it as such? Would one really pu a tempered or serrated edge on a shovel?

Also, how come we can't have both on the same tool?

Now if you google shovel head you'll get much more interesting stuff by the way.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

The pick has plenty of mods that can go on it. The blade mod would be cool but wouldnt really serve a purpose. You can put a grip mode, iron breaker, stone breaker, a weighted head and a gravedigger on it. Theres your 5 for max level.

20 minutes ago, myrkana said:

The pick has plenty of mods that can go on it. The blade mod would be cool but wouldnt really serve a purpose. You can put a grip mode, iron breaker, stone breaker, a weighted head and a gravedigger on it. Theres your 5 for max level.

5? Since when? 4!

Iron and stone are no brainers. I like a grip and structural brace/diamond blade tip (hrmmm, now that is a blade mod that is or at least was compatible in a21) 

1 hour ago, myrkana said:

4*

13 hours ago, Krougal said:

I mean sure, technically the shovel head is a blade, but who thinks of it as such?

Me: Apparently you have never gotten rid of trees on your own property. It is very convenient to chop small roots with a shovel.

13 hours ago, Suxar said:

Me: Apparently you have never gotten rid of trees on your own property. It is very convenient to chop small roots with a shovel.

No, I got people for that. :)

OTOH, I have killed a fair amount of vermin with a shovel.

Whack with flat to stun, decapitate with edge. Yeah, it is a bludgeon and a blade.

There is a blade mod that can go on the pickaxe, and that's the diamond blade mod. I should preface that by saying as long as you don't have the structural brace mod already on it. You can have one or the other but not both at the same time. The structural brace mod lowers degradation by 25%, the diamond blade mod lowers degradation by 30%.

12 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

I was gonna say, a sharpened shovel would probably be my go to weapon for a "real" zombie apocalypse.  Easy beheading with the sharpened blade, reach, you can swing it for crowd control, etc.

Did you happen to serve in the landing force? They are just taught to use a shovel as a backup weapon.

1st off the pickaxe has several mods just for use on stone/iron etc, and for block damage use Miner 69er. honestly see how useful duct-taping a samurai blade or similar to a pickaxe would be in a real-world situation and then let us know lol. I have a feeling it's not very useful but I will let you "For science!" that. 🤣

5 hours ago, Suxar said:

Did you happen to serve in the landing force? They are just taught to use a shovel as a backup weapon.

military shovels are a bit different but make for more than adequate weapons for melee combat It is true