Optimisation

Well where this performance improvement? My gpu wattage on same setting goues up to 200w from 90w.

1.The same graphics settings
2.Nothing is running in the background
4.FPS set to 60
5.Power consumption of the card went from 90watt to 200 watt. So the optimization is 2 times worse than it was.

My specs pc R7 5800x 32gb ram 3600mhz Rtx 3080Ti

17 hours ago, Leelareso said:

i play actualy always on medium.

Changing the shadow distance and shadow quality to low hardly helped.

Well, maybe it is different for an NVidia videocard. I have 5600x CPU and RX 6650 XT GPU. In A21 I have quite stable 60 fps at 2560x1440 with my settings. After updating to v1.0 exp I had only 35-40 fps in the forest biome with the same old video settings (without FSR, because there was no such feature in A21). Then I checked impact of all video options on my setup and found out that Shadows Quality is the problem. Usually I played 7DTD with Shadows Quality at High, but now I have to set it to Low and use FSR = High at the same screen resolution.

Maybe this will help someone to achieve good performance with AMD videocards in v1.0 exp.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xarion said:

Well, maybe it is different for an NVidia videocard. I have 5600x CPU and RX 6650 XT GPU. In A21 I have quite stable 60 fps at 2560x1440 with my settings. After updating to v1.0 exp I had only 35-40 fps in the forest biome with the same old video settings (without FSR, because there was no such feature in A21). Then I checked impact of all video options on my setup and found out that Shadows Quality is the problem. Usually I played 7DTD with Shadows Quality at High, but now I have to set it to Low and use FSR = High at the same screen resolution.

Maybe this will help someone to achieve good performance with AMD videocards in v1.0 exp.

From what I've noticed with myself, turning on FSR worsens performance.
Which is very strange.

nvidia released new drivers today. I will let you know if there is any improvement,

yeah tested. When i turn on FSR (high) i have less fps and when is capped 60 fps on low settings in 2k wattage goes up from 80 to 130

As far as I know FSR and DLSS should improve and not worsen performance

Edited by Leelareso (see edit history)

I think you might be the first one I've seen to measure performance in watts .. :)

Usually people get upset if their hardware isn't being utilized fully while a game is chuggalugging (like having plenty of idle CPU cores with 7dtd).

It's not an invalid take, just.. likely not what is meant if TFP advertises "performance optimizations". They'll mean "better FPS", or "more stable FPS".

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, theFlu said:

I think you might be the first one I've seen to measure performance in watts .. :)

Usually people get upset if their hardware isn't being utilized fully while a game is chuggalugging (like having plenty of idle CPU cores with 7dtd).

It's not an invalid take, just.. likely not what is meant if TFP advertises "performance optimizations". They'll mean "better FPS", or "more stable FPS".

Read again. The game runs worse on the same settings (has less FPS) What don't you understand? And if it has less fps and at the same time the card needs ALSO 2x more power then something is wrong. On the previous version everything was ok.

Btw

Read more about computer hardware and what watts are. I work with computers 20 years by profession I am after computer science and electronics.

Compare it to this, you go to a mechanic and he misaligns the controller in your car. The controller starts giving you the wrong mixture, and because of this, not only do you have less power, but it also burns more fuel

I have FSR set to ultra and it is running really smoothly for me.  That was actually a nice surprise considering another game was really blurry when FSR was enabled.  I did need to make a couple adjustments to settings, but overall my settings are higher than they were in A21 and the game is running better.  Of course, I haven't gotten to tier 5 quests in the cities, so can't comment on if I still have problems there.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I have FSR set to ultra and it is running really smoothly for me.  That was actually a nice surprise considering another game was really blurry when FSR was enabled.  I did need to make a couple adjustments to settings, but overall my settings are higher than they were in A21 and the game is running better.  Of course, I haven't gotten to tier 5 quests in the cities, so can't comment on if I still have problems there.

You use nvidia or amd? A lot of people write on steam that they also have problems with the game running worse. Often it is the cards from nvidia that appear.

6 minutes ago, Leelareso said:

I work with computers 20 years by profession I am after computer science and electronics.

That's the missing third step in your first post? I could go "read again" to you as well, but as a Scientologismagitist, you already noticed I didn't actually claim you were wrong, just that I think that no-one, importantly game devs, usually cares about wattage, just the overall "FPS performance". You probably also know that a game studio will have real limited sets of hardware to test on, so they might easily run into weird power consumption issues with even common hardware. If you feel it's actually bugged, file a bug report, you might also be the first where filling the hardware specs of the template make a difference =>

https://community.7daystodie.com/announcement/11-report-a-v10-bug/

17 minutes ago, Leelareso said:

Read again. The game runs worse on the same settings (has less FPS) What don't you understand? And if it has less fps and at the same time the card needs ALSO 2x more power then something is wrong. On the previous version everything was ok.

Btw

Read more about computer hardware and what watts are. I work with computers 20 years by profession I am after computer science and electronics.

Compare it to this, you go to a mechanic and he misaligns the controller in your car. The controller starts giving you the wrong mixture, and because of this, not only do you have less power, but it also burns more fuel

It's completely a case-by-case basis. You cannot even compare like hardware because other software on the system, or settings in BIOS can drastically impact performance.  I have covered this in detail previously.

And do note that literally almost no one is sitting around micro-managing the wattage usage of each and every component to notice that there is a spike. They most certainly do not use it as a performance metric.

Here is my current hardware. 
CPU : AMD R9 3900X overclocked to 4.10GHz currently (I can run up to 4.4GHz stable with all cores boosted, but I'd like it to last.)
RAM : 32B DDR4 at 3200Mhz

GPU : MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming Z Trio with stock overclock

Monitors : Samsung 32" G5 Odyssey 1440p x3

OS drive : 500GB Evo 860 SATA SSD
Game drive : A pair of 2TB Sabrent Rocket Q4's in RAID-0
Steam drive : 2TB Seagate BarraCuda 120 SATA SSD
Also note that my Save game data is not on the OS disk because that is slow.

Settings I used in a21.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Settings I am using now...
?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Between the two, I am getting essentially the same FPS. Except that it doesn't drop as much in the cities now.
I did play with FSR3 100%, but the difference really wasn't noticeable except for the occasional blurriness on moving things. FPS was still relatively the same.

I will also note that my fans aren't screaming to cool my GPU either. But that is more likely due to having an exceptional case setup with proper fan profiles than anything else.

29 minutes ago, Leelareso said:

You use nvidia or amd? A lot of people write on steam that they also have problems with the game running worse. Often it is the cards from nvidia that appear.

AMD.

21 minutes ago, theFlu said:

You probably also know that a game studio will have real limited sets of hardware to test on, so they might easily run into weird power consumption issues with even common hardware.

This is exactly why a month of experimental is helpful. The final build of the last stable version will often run better for some than the new experimental build. 

4 hours ago, Roland said:

This is exactly why a month of experimental is helpful. The final build of the last stable version will often run better for some than the new experimental build. 

Is it auto reporting our performance and specs or do we need to post about them here to help with the feedback?

I'm having the opposite issue.  Previously running mid-high settings and it ran ok while looking fabulous.  Now I can max the settings but many objects are blurry, the ground glows and everything is washed out, distracting pop-ins...  No idea where to even begin.  

EDIT - I can get close to normal by enabling FSR ultra.  Interestingly, each FSR quality step dramatically changes the brightness.  The experience posted above was no-AA, which is what I prefer overall so hopefully it gets some love before release.

Edited by lumpoycustards (see edit history)

This is Alpha ... err wait ...   well anyways optimizations happen in the BETA phase so ... oh wait ...   Here's Release v1.0 !!!  **sarcasm**

I love the game but it runs the krappyist among all other games I play.

BTW there are many UNITY bases games that have no issues utilizing FSR or DLSS; maybe devs should give that a try ?

Edited by Ripflex (see edit history)

One thing I've noticed: The main way to guarantee a higher frame rate is to drop the resolution. I am on a 36" monitor, but once I drop it to the standard 1920x1080, I get vastly improved performance even with the same settings otherwise. (And with anti-aliasing the difference is minor, much less than noticeable frame drops.)

The issue is that the game doesn't always remember this setting. This was also an issue in A21 experimental and it got fixed before A21 stable, so I'm guessing that history will repeat itself and it won't be a  problem in 1.0 stable.

My bad, I didn't notice before, but now after looking at SylenThunder's screenshots I see that we have no Shadows Quality option in A21, only Shadows Distance. With my RX 6650 XT, I can't use Shadows Quality at Ultra like SylenThunder's RX 6800 XT, because it drastically drops performance down for sure. Even medium Shadows Quality hits performance down.

Edited by Xarion (see edit history)

Copied here my performance report posted first in 1.0 dev diary thread, hope it can help you:

On 6/25/2024 at 7:50 AM, q123 said:

For those which have a lower framerate in the forest biome compared to A21 - check the new "shadow quality" setting.

Reducing quality from High to Medium results (for me) in additional 30+ FPS in the forest.

On the other hand, "shadow distance" is nearly at no cost atm... i'm running it ultra+ for now 😁

Did my own quick performance/optimization testing in 1.0 b309:

4k resolution, I7 13700k, RTX3080. 1.0exp changed itself to ULTRA preset in the first run, fps disaster! I think much people are arguing because this automatic change.

So I change to HIGH preset, gives me 55-58 fps in areas with no zombies. Not good enough. I improve the preset by changing:

- Antialiasing from Temporal to FSR medium: from 55-58 to 76-78... awesome! but FSR Ultra is performing less than Temporal aliasing. FSR Ultra shouldn't be 2954x1662 pixels? or is native + FSR AA so we are looking at the cost of FSR itself?
- Sharpness slider doesn't work with FSR, only with temporal AA. Sharpness is a MUST in FSR, as is VERY blurry by default. Had to use Reshade to add it. Now its awesome!
- Texture filtering from medium to ultra, <1 fps cost worth it 
- Shadows distance from high to ultra, <1 fps cost worth it
- Shadows quality from high to medium, 76-78 to 85 fps but not very noticeable loss in quality, so very worth it IMO. The new worst offender in fps?
- SSAO: New 1.0 can eat 10-11 fps in interiors, but looks awesome, absolutely worth it to keep ON. OFF is very ugly. Could be possible to add extra "medium" quality SSAO?
- SS Reflections eat much less FPS than in alpha 21, around 5 fps from medium to low, so I keep it on medium

Now playing with at around 85 fps and very happy. 

Now lets try CPU performance: added 100 zombies in debug mode, down to 45-50 fps. 

Added this to /7DaystoDie_Data/boot.config:
gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1
gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

And now 100 zombies only downs to 60-65fps. Not stable enough to enable the oldest Unity performance trick by default?

I also recommend this mod updated for 1.0exp because shadow improvements:
https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/3495?tab=files

EDIT: for some reason, looking closely to a light source in 1.0 like a wall light or a working forge can eat up to 15 fps. Want to try out again when the mod "Torch" in nexusmods gets updated for 1.0.