Alpha 22/1.0 dev stream stuff

25 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

I really like the idea of the upgradable storage boxes, however, am I the only one that was kind of sad that the style of writing is the same across all versions?

If it were up to me, the wooden base-level storage would have a hand-written look to the label. Then for the iron and steel versions, maybe a stenciled or stamped look?

Yeah, they really need to add additional fonts for signs and crates.  This basic font they use is okay but very boring to constantly see everywhere.  It isn't like adding fonts is a huge undertaking.  Hopefully they'll do so at some point.  Preferably where we can choose the font, but if it's just a set font for each level of storage box, then that's still at least something.

5 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I'll try and update when I can ill be working so help a brother out

Tentative schedule for 1.0::: June 21 streamer weekend starts, June 24 experimental, July 25 stable PC/console release.

So will the new armor with the special stats be craftable? Saw they talked about legendary crafting with the weapons but they didn't really get into the armor and stuff or atleast not that I saw from skimming the youtube upload of the 2nd dev stream. Along with what makes the legendary stuff so special aside from an extra mod slot cause if the difference between a tier 5 and tier 6 weapon is a mod slot or 1 point more in damage then that really doesn't seem all that legendary to me at least.

7 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

So will the new armor with the special stats be craftable? Saw they talked about legendary crafting with the weapons but they didn't really get into the armor and stuff or atleast not that I saw from skimming the youtube upload of the 2nd dev stream. Along with what makes the legendary stuff so special aside from an extra mod slot cause if the difference between a tier 5 and tier 6 weapon is a mod slot or 1 point more in damage then that really doesn't seem all that legendary to me at least.

all of the armor has different bonuses, its not that there is armor without special bonuses.

each crafting tier within a category gets you better stats, so tier 6(or legendary) will have slightly better stats than tier 5.

Also i wouldn't be surprised if different armor categories are split up a bit for crafting purposes, like it was before where you could make cloth then leather then military.  I bet the different armor categories will be broken up like that.

14 minutes ago, Javabean867 said:

all of the armor has different bonuses, its not that there is armor without special bonuses.

each crafting tier within a category gets you better stats, so tier 6(or legendary) will have slightly better stats than tier 5.

Also i wouldn't be surprised if different armor categories are split up a bit for crafting purposes, like it was before where you could make cloth then leather then military.  I bet the different armor categories will be broken up like that.

Makes me curious where the "Medium Armor" perk will be going. Likely under Fortitude?

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Makes me curious where the "Medium Armor" perk will be going. Likely under Fortitude?

I think it will go into Perception, int doesn't make sense seeing nerd armor is a heavy armor.  Endurance already has pain tolerance and fast healing, so i doubt it is endurance.

Is there a new category medium armor now? Was that mentioned/shown in a dev stream?

Unless they have been really really careful it doesn't seem that legendary items are anything more than just quality 6 items. Just to refresh memories, Madmole had designed real legendary weapons with special bonuses and there was work done for that feature. But it was put on the backburner a long time ago. I still hope real legendaries are added to the game, if not now then in one of the after release patches/dlcs.

19 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

I've gotten "Legendary" weapons as quest rewards where the stats on these were WORSE than the weapons I currently had.  This makes no sense.  Hopefully in 1.0, "Legendary" actually means something.

20 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

According to Roland. Yes they are craftable 

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

Is there a new category medium armor now? Was that mentioned/shown in a dev stream?

Unless they have been really really careful it doesn't seem that legendary items are anything more than just quality 6 items. Just to refresh memories, Madmole had designed real legendary weapons with special bonuses and there was work done for that feature. But it was put on the backburner a long time ago. I still hope real legendaries are added to the game, if not now then in one of the after release patches/dlcs.

I do hope legendary is really good!  Like stats are 2x better 

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I do hope legendary is really good!  Like stats are 2x better 

2x would be impossibly OP. And if you scale the zombies or bandits to need 2x damage you could not cope with normal weapons anymore. Besides, more damage is as boring as more HPs on the zombies.

I would except more from legendary weapons, something that makes people use them **even** when they do less damage. For example vampiric weapons or weapons with a small AOE push, something like that

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

No, this is just honest speculation from my end. However, assuming that the Light Armor and Heavy Armor perks are being retained, it wouldn't make logical sense why there wouldn't be a perk attributed towards medium armor, nor would it make sense why the Light or the Heavy Armor perk should affect it. :) If there is no Medium Armor perk coming, now that there will be an official category of medium armor outfits, it would be an oversight. :)

31 minutes ago, meganoth said:

2x would be impossibly OP. And if you scale the zombies or bandits to need 2x damage you could not cope with normal weapons anymore. Besides, more damage is as boring as more HPs on the zombies.

I would except more from legendary weapons, something that makes people use them **even** when they do less damage. For example vampiric weapons or weapons with a small AOE push, something like that

Agreed. Perhaps legendary weapons could also use exclusive ammo, such as explosive shells or super penetrator slugs for shotguns. It would be unfortunate if all we get, assuming legendary items will make it into the game at all, is "Crazy Jake's Chainsaw" which has near to identical stats as a normal chainsaw, it just has a custom name and font/color attached to it.

Note: "Crazy Jake's Chainsaw" is meant to represent one potential example of an underwhelming legendary.

28 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

now that there will be an official category of medium armor outfits, it would be an oversight.

Well, that's why I was asking, I heard nothing about an official category or I forgot it again.

When TFP has been talking about medium armor, could that have been the middle tier of 3 quality tiers? I.e. scrap armor is tier 1, iron armor the middle tier 2, and steel armor tier 3 ?

9 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Well, that's why I was asking, I heard nothing about an official category or I forgot it again.

When TFP has been talking about medium armor, could that have been the middle tier of 3 quality tiers? I.e. scrap armor is tier 1, iron armor the middle tier 2, and steel armor tier 3 ?

Well, according to the first page of the 1.0 dev diary, there are several outfits within this tier, and it's been officially mentioned on the dev streams more than once. We're just unsure what TFP's intended form of progression will be. Will we be encouraged to specialize within one tier of armor (light, medium, or heavy), or will they expect the player to start at the primitive grass fiber set and work their way up to heavy armor? We'll have to wait and see. If it's the former, and they don't include a medium armor perk, I'll be (lightheartedly) calling them out on that. lol

Edit: I'm not seeing the official list of armors on the 1.0 dev diary anymore, so either they removed it, or it's located elsewhere. As an example, however, they referenced The Enforcer set as Light Armor, the Farmer set as Medium Armor, and the Mining outfit as Heavy Armor.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Well, according to the first page of the 1.0 dev diary, there are several outfits within this tier, and it's been officially mentioned on the dev streams more than once. We're just unsure what TFP's intended form of progression will be. Will we be encouraged to specialize within one tier of armor (light, medium, or heavy), or will they expect the player to start at the primitive grass fiber set and work their way up to heavy armor? We'll have to wait and see. If it's the former, and they don't include a medium armor perk, I'll be (lightheartedly) calling them out on that. lol

Edit: I'm not seeing the official list of armors on the 1.0 dev diary anymore, so either they removed it, or it's located elsewhere. As an example, however, they referenced The Enforcer set as Light Armor, the Farmer set as Medium Armor, and the Mining outfit as Heavy Armor.

Here is the post you are looking for

Regarding legendary weapons, I think they have made a mistake in calling them that.  People have very definite ideas of what legendary weapons are... Weapons with some special bonus compared to normal weapons.  Calling quality 6 legendary is just going to lead to people complaining that legendary weapons aren't any good.  Most games with "legendary" weapons have them either have unique stats, much better stats, or at least one special stat that can't be found on other weapons.  Basically, something that warrants calling them legendary. 

Better to just call them quality 6 if they aren't anything different than the next tier of quality.

6 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Regarding legendary weapons, I think they have made a mistake in calling them that.  People have very definite ideas of what legendary weapons are... Weapons with some special bonus compared to normal weapons.  Calling quality 6 legendary is just going to lead to people complaining that legendary weapons aren't any good.  Most games with "legendary" weapons have them either have unique stats, much better stats, or at least one special stat that can't be found on other weapons.  Basically, something that warrants calling them legendary. 

Better to just call them quality 6 if they aren't anything different than the next tier of quality.

I just genuinely hope that the stats between items has been balanced for 1.0. In A21 current, the difference between a blue shotgun and a purple is completely negligent. Something needs to change (if it hasn't already) to where if you encounter a very rare purple, you should exclaim with surprise, instead of noticing that the stats are 5% better than the blue and just shrug it off.

Loot tables also need to be adjusted. Purples should be more rare in loot (aside from primitive items?), and end-game loot tables shouldn't exclusively contain T3 quality level 6 items, in my opinion. :)

But yeah, TFP need to wean themself off the "legendary" term. It's like how they still, to this day, call the gyrocopter a "helicopter".

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

Correct me if I am wrong, but currently the only thing with a "legendary" moniker is the part to craft the tier 6 weapons ! ??

That they have been naming it that way keeps my hope up that eventually they will transform tier6 weapons into actual legendary weapons

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Fire damage, increase block damage, would be cool. Like fallout 4

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but currently the only thing with a "legendary" moniker is the part to craft the tier 6 weapons ! ??

That they have been naming it that way keeps my hope up that eventually they will transform tier6 weapons into actual legendary weapons

They've been calling quality level 6 items "legendary" quality for years. 😛

And have also specified they have no interest in adding in "actual" legendary items for about as long. *shrug*

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

And have also specified they have no interest in adding in "actual" legendary items for about as long. *shrug*

I mean we got stuff like tazas stone axe.  So truly special weapons and or armor would be great. Like dukes coat, Noah's armor. 

1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

I mean we got stuff like tazas stone axe.  So truly special weapons and or armor would be great. Like dukes coat, Noah's armor. 

Does that item still exist in the game? I haven't seen it since A16.

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I actually remember a time (somewhere between A17-A20) where Madmole was talking about designing special effects for legendary weapons and that they should be randomly assigned to the weapons. Sometime later he even proclaimed that work on the design was finished and some programmer was already at work implementing them. Have I been dreaming this?

2 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I actually remember a time (somewhere between A17-A20) where Madmole was talking about designing special effects for legendary weapons and that they should be randomly assigned to the weapons. Sometime later he even proclaimed that work on the design was finished and some programmer was already at work implementing them. Have I been dreaming this?

If you did, it was a good dream.

Anyway, just because something is proposed, designed, balanced, etc. doesn't mean it's going to make it into the game. We're still waiting on that fabled plasma baton, after all. 😛