New Endgame Objectives

Nmenth

Posted (edited)

I just play 7D2D singleplayer and am not normally very active in the community aside from browsing dev posts - which are in pretty short supply lately, so if this is something that is already discussed, forgive me for bringing it up again.

I find that once I have acquired a gyrocopter, I have already gotten the best or close to it of everything else and lack any incentive to actually use my shiny new vehicle to fly around as there is no longer anything for me to strive for.

It seems from very brief searching that getting the gyrocopter is frequently an end goal for other people too and the game is effectively over once attained.

I don't want to end there when I finally get to fly, I want it to be the beginning of my greatest adventures.

So my point is that there should be some sort of additional goal that exists even after getting all of the best gear. A MacGuffin perhaps, that has no purpose other than I want to get it. I already like to put a safe in my base and stash old cash, silver, gold, and diamonds inside it, but while this is a small bit of fun, there is no real goal here aside from "more is better."

I could go for max level, which apparently is 300, but if the formula for leveling provided by the wiki is accurate, that would require 25 billion experience. Not a realistic goal.

One idea that I had is a zombie kill trophy list. Every type of zombie in the game could have a counter for how many of that zombie you killed. For example, you kill 50, you get a bronze trophy for that type of zombie, 100 for silver, 200 for gold. Sure, killing 200 departed women might not take too much effort, but getting 200 demolishers will take a bit more time (the numbers could be set higher if feral/radiated versions counted for more than 1, but the goals should not be so high that they aren't worth actively pursuing).

I suppose you could get a small reward for trophies, like a +5% damage toward that type of zombie for each trophy (up to 15% at gold), but that would not really even be necessary, as they would just be an arbitrary goal to strive towards when everything else is already done.

Edited by Nmenth (see edit history)

• Nmenth changed the title to New Endgame Objectives

I'm also strictly single player and often have the same issue with "what now?" after a certain point. That's not always the gyro for me. Depending on where your points go, you can get one fairly quickly. My usual stopping point used to be where horde nights weren't fun anymore. It's been a minute since I've played, but my last few playthroughs involved building a decked-out dream home then "retiring" from the zombie-killing grind once I got to that point.

However, the supposed "inactive" dev posts have been quite active lately as version 1.0 (no longer in Alpha) has been announced and will be released in June. While it is coming out of alpha, that doesn't mean development will stop. Below is a snippet of the front page of the Version 1.0 Dev Diary. It's a summary of what is planned for post 1.0 release which includes a story mode. This is likely where we will get end-game content.

Post-1.0 Roadmap

• Storm’s Brewing (Q4 2024)
    • Weather system & biome progression overhaul (source)
    • Wardrobe system
    • Crossplay/random gen for consoles
    • Plus: additional zombie stages, spawn near friend, Twitch drops, outfit DLCs and much more
  • A New Threat (Q2 2025)
    • Bandits
    • UI/main menu overhaul
    • Event system
    • New quest type
  • The Road Ahead (Q4 2025)
    • Trader overhaul
    • Story mode
    • Steam workshop support
    • New quest type

Personally, trophies for killing a certain amount of zombies doesn't interest me. It might others, though. My real hope is that we get more "boss" zombies like Grace. Hopefully a story mode presents opportunities for stuff like that.

22 hours ago, Nmenth said:

I find that once I have acquired a gyrocopter, I have already gotten the best or close to it of everything else and lack any incentive to actually use my shiny new vehicle to fly around as there is no longer anything for me to strive for.

In the Vanilla game, I kind of reach that point with Solar Power. I want to do things with it, but by the time I get I'm out of other things to do so I never really get to enjoy it.

Posted (edited)

I like selling loot to traders and managed to accrue enough dukes to buy two T6 and two T5 cells for my solar bank before I finally saw the gyrocopter parts I needed for sale. However, I tend to use more power than the solar bank can supply and need a generator bank in addition regardless. I wish there were more power alternatives available, like windmills that would be relatively cheap to make, but not generate much power, and atomic batteries that would be very much end game and require rare nuclear materials to assemble, but once built, would be the most efficient power source possible.

Edited by Nmenth (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 11:48 PM, Nmenth said:

I could go for max level, which apparently is 300, but if the formula for leveling provided by the wiki is accurate, that would require 25 billion experience. Not a realistic goal.

Not sure where you have been looking, but from level 60 on the exp per level is fixed and according to the wiki about 180000. Getting to lvl 300 should therefore need about 50 million exp. Still not a sensible goal that seems worth following though

----------

But back to the main topic: It is hard to create a goal that isn't just a useless hamster wheel task. I consider tasks or achievements like "kill x zombies" or "reach lvl 300" too detached from the game that I would never see any sense in trying them, even if the trader gave me some McGuffin as reward. The goal should come from the story or szenario of the game world.

Just as a simple example: After lvl 60 no poi reset should happen anymore and your task would be to clear the map. Another example will eventually arise as TFP still plans to add a story where you are conquering one or both factions, but I would guess that experienced players will be able to reach THAT goal long before reaching lvl 50 (because that goal must be reachable by novice players in acceptable time as well)

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I like the idea of having a transition zone at map edge you can only enter flying due to overwhelming radiation on ground level.

What that would do is make a new random gen map and import your character fully loaded into the map. The new map would have double the spawn rate to spice it up.

Maybe make a mission where you need to set off a nuke on top of Dishong tower and fly to exit in time. That being the reason you CANT return to the OG map.

19 hours ago, zztong said:

In the Vanilla game, I kind of reach that point with Solar Power. I want to do things with it, but by the time I get I'm out of other things to do so I never really get to enjoy it.

I saw someone  talk about this on the forums, wishing solar was actually "first tier power" option, and it went solar (early game unlock) -> battery bank -> generator (final end game). And i think it would be better. At least the power capacity "scales up" and  solar being only on during the day is a good "tier 1" power supply. Its "big" (uses up space) linda a pain to use (has to be exposed to outside) And it can be used to charge batteries once you unlock the battery bank. (probably would need toning down of charging speed). 

I think bandits will help but we need more bosses, more quest, and maybe named legendary weapons for collectors

I do like the idea of achievements!!! Maybe something with traders? 

But true threats would really help imo.  Too put your defenses too the test. 

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

Not sure where you have been looking, but from level 60 on the exp per level is fixed and according to the wiki about 180000. Getting to lvl 300 should therefore need about 50 million exp.

I was looking here on the wiki. It does not mention any exp requirement cap at 60.

I've sometimes wondered if there was enough game features to make an adventure that played out like this:

1. Start the game with a note that starts the mission.
  2. Gather components to craft a radio. (Chrystal, Coil, Variable Resistor, Microphone, whatever.)
  3. Gather components to craft an antenna. (Iron Pipes, Wire)
  4. Place the antenna at a height of 200 blocks or higher.
  5. Connect the radio to a power source.

The mission is basically similar to a Fallout 4 mission where you establish a radio station to attract survivors. Steps 1, 4, 5 are things I've not tried to mess with and I've not seen anything like 4 in the game.

The availability of the components can be somewhat controlled to make it a later-game thing. Other missions could maybe depend on the radio working?

One thing the devs did which I appreciate is adding infestation - infested T6 POIs on higher difficulty & more zombies is more my endgame, because I find zombie night is easier to deal with as long as you crank out enough ammo. Base designs have been solved for years and are quickly re-solved if TFP add any wrinkles. Infestations were only a quick-n-dirty stopgap measure which required basically no new resources, but they ended up working out not too badly for that purpose.

But we need real endgame challenges, something which lets us USE our souped up vehicles and endgame weapons and armour against really tough challenges. Because if you get a new toy, you want to have the chance to PLAY WITH IT.

On 5/23/2024 at 4:56 PM, FramFramson said:

One thing the devs did which I appreciate is adding infestation - infested T6 POIs on higher difficulty & more zombies is more my endgame, because I find zombie night is easier to deal with as long as you crank out enough ammo. Base designs have been solved for years and are quickly re-solved if TFP add any wrinkles. Infestations were only a quick-n-dirty stopgap measure which required basically no new resources, but they ended up working out not too badly for that purpose.

But we need real endgame challenges, something which lets us USE our souped up vehicles and endgame weapons and armour against really tough challenges. Because if you get a new toy, you want to have the chance to PLAY WITH IT.

Yeah it does kinda Imo feel like a tape solution. Not that I don't like it I love infestations! 

But stuff that disrupts buildings does help like demos! But hell even rocket launcher bandits would really change bases cuz not much you can do against that! 

But zombies like something Equal to a behemoth not in size but strength!!

Spider zombies both jumping and climbing, maybe a new ranged zombie that has a larger puke attack but shorter range! 

But if they add classes to bandits it could work too

(Melee, Ranged, Leader, Sniper, Grenader , Demolisher (rocket launcher) , Heavy )

Would help in not only engagement but in base defense too

Or even special quest 

Like hunting mutated animals 

Bountys 

Wave defence 

Drop defence 

Rain 

And stuff like in darkness falls like (kill male zombies) 

We need POIs with strategic quest purposes.  The supposed modular POI system that's coming would be ideal for creating modified versions of POIs just for these quests.

* Raid a factory to get precision tools.  Reward: the trader offers you more advanced items for sale.

* Get parts from a garage to repair an ambulance for Jenny.  Reward: After a little bit of time goes by, that particular Jen would heal you for caps.  Healing would have limits to represent time needed for treatment and scarcity of supplies.

* Enter a skyscraper to kill a large mutated zombuzzard that has been menacing settlements.  Reward: Zombie buzzards are less likely to attack you.

* Round up wild chickens using net or something.  Reward: you can build a chicken coop that has chickens hanging around.  Nests in the coop create eggs almost every day and after a while an extra chicken may show up.

Any number of high-end quests are possible.

11 hours ago, bandersnatch said:

The supposed modular POI system that's coming would be ideal for creating modified versions of POIs just for these quests.

Which system is that? I must have missed that announcement.