The good old days...

I've been mulling over the release of 1.0 after all of this time and I remembered some really cool features that are now gone forever. Things like building guns from parts. Six parts IIRC. Each part had a quality and when combined the overall parts score determined the gun quality. We could upgrade parts at the bench to make higher quality parts. I believe that was A14 or A15. How about the janky zombies way back in like, A1 or A2? The original zombie models. A much smaller Navezgane. Oh how about the zone in Navezgane where there was a bunch of dead grass and such? It's a winter area now, but man I loved that zone!

I used to have A1 through A19 on my NAS as clean installs, but somehow I lost A1-A7 over the years. Six months ago I downloaded every version clean and stored it on a RAID10 BTRFS array with a hot-swap drive. See the attached image. I'd delete the 7 Days game folder, download a version, copy with verification (CRC32, SHA256, MD5) to a folder on the NAS, uninstall the game via Steam, delete the game folder on my rig, choose the next version, and repeat. I now have almost every version from 8.8 through 21.2. Copying older versions back and trying them is amazing after playing the modern version.

So what was your favorite version? I really got into 7 Days in A14 or A15 with the whole gun building and upgrading thing. Other versions were fun, but that sucked me in somehow.

2024-05-05 7 Days Old Versions.jpg

I have similar but couple extra. You will notice that A6 is not there as I couldn't get it for some reason.

There is a post on here of how to get earlier versions. Maybe you could try and get 5 and 7 that you have missing.

8 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

I used to have A1 through A19 on my NAS as clean installs, but somehow I lost A1-A7 over the years. Six months ago I downloaded every version clean and stored it on a RAID10 BTRFS array with a hot-swap drive.

I just did this the other day and zipped them all on my NAS. 

The ones that I always end up going back to are Alpha 10.4 or 14.7. Not a real big fan of the LBD aspects, but the gameplay there is just rawer than the newer editions. Especially when I can run a 10.4 server with max alive of 450. 

Posted (edited)

I would kill to get clean installs of A1 through A7 again. One of the guys tried to see if he could make it happen, but apparently not. Shame, this game has come such a long way and I'd love to go back at times.

Oh and I am trying to make sense of that guide to get the older versions (final releases of 5, 6, and 7) now.

Also, I got to thinking. I remember having a pre-A5 version or two of the game, but I believe I got them from somebody else. Were A1 through A4 ever on Steam publicly?

Edited by The_Great_Sephiroth
More info (see edit history)

10.4 is and likely always will be my fav version.

Also, I still have versions 1 - 4, but they require a login account which no longer works as the devs killed that a long time ago... so unless you have modified files to make them work, my copies are DOA.

A16.4 was great. Then they started fixing things that weren't broken and since 16.4 there have been a few improvements and a few hundred changes for the worse. In a paragraph or two, I could tell TFP exactly what they could do to renew the organic enthusiasm this game used to have, but they have always made it clear that they don't care what we want. so I keep my constructive feedback and bug reports to myself now.

23 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

A16.4 was great. Then they started fixing things that weren't broken and since 16.4 there have been a few improvements and a few hundred changes for the worse. In a paragraph or two, I could tell TFP exactly what they could do to renew the organic enthusiasm this game used to have, but they have always made it clear that they don't care what we want. so I keep my constructive feedback and bug reports to myself now.

Maybe you could whisper them to a modder.