Water nowhere and not a drop to drink...

I've made an account just to address this. I don't expect a soul to read this but, here goes.

I've been playing this game for many years now, 1,000+ hours and naturally satisfaction has varied greatly. I am a pure solo player, preferring to get by on my own wits and cunning.

I have once again started a new world with a new character, growing weary of the ease of my previous. Always trying new lands, new builds, new bases!

But my last character... Despite painstaking, endless searching, all the way to level 206? I NEVER found pure mineral water recipe! So the raw water spot with water purifier mod was ofcourse the way to go to get unlimited hydration.

On my newest play-through, I got the coveted recipe from a junk spawn as soon as level 11... W-T-F.

The early game struggle has always been pretty amazing and enjoyable. But the most recent changes to the water system have made it utterly ridiculous. In the sense that boy, you're gonna struggle UNTIL, you're lucky enough to loot either the purifier mod or the recipe... Once you have one or the other? All survival challenge suddenly flies out the window at once.

PLEASE bring back the steadiness rather than 0 to 100 we're now experiencing.

In the same vein, I'd like to address the level 1 pistol and knife that can be looted from handbags (and toilets??) from such an early level. This makes pistols, knifes and agility the only early game choice as it immediatly skips over a collosal SEVEN levels of pistol or knife magazine research. No other weapon type does this. This needs to be evened out desperately.

Finally. While I'm here I feel it's worth mentioning the egregiously exploitable mission reset oversight that goes a little something like this.

1. Get yourself a 5* mission where the final massive loot pile is barely out of reach (Eg. Red Mesa)

2. Start mission, ignore the whole mission, tunnel into final prize room, grab everything.

3. Exit game and re-enter to respawn outside with the bouncing "!". Take the mission again, it ALL respawns. Repeat infinitely.

This has got to go. Thanks to this I have 100+ crates maxed out of damn near all of the games most valuable items aswell as over 1M Duke coins. It removes all reason to play the game!

Either way, if you read the message thank you. I sincerely hope F.P see my notes and take them into consideration. Please continue the fantastic work!

Much love from a loyal fan!

There are tons of threads about the water change with tons of opinions from all sides, so I won't bother rehashing that.

As far as the pistols in toilets, that is apparently some kind of meme, so not likely to go away.  It does skip stuff but it isn't a big deal.  Even without finding one (I've had have where I didn't find one early at all), it doesn't take long to reach the point where you can find them in normal loot or craft them, so it is a minor issue.

There really isn't any reason for TFP to go out of their way to prevent players from cheating since this really isn't a PVP game even though some do play it that way.  So it really doesn't hurt you of someone else cheats to get lot more easily.  And if you are the one exploiting it, then that is in you.  Just don't do it.  There are a variety of ways to avoid most of the POI to get to the loot room.  And as long as you don't do it, it really isn't going to affect you.  It is extremely rare if I do something to avoid a POI to get loot and usually is because I'm running out of time.  It isn't hard to not exploit the game and people don't need someone to hold their hand to avoid that.  If someone else does it, it isn't hurting your own game and you can always not play with such people unless you just really want to play on a specific server or with those people.

And if you don't want people exploiting it that way, you probably shouldn't give step by step instructions on how to do it.  Sure, many people already know how, but I am sure you just taught at least one person how to do it who didn't already know.  So instead of making it happen less, you are making it happen more.  😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Reaver Black said:

In the same vein, I'd like to address the level 1 pistol and knife that can be looted from handbags (and toilets??) from such an early level. This makes pistols, knifes and agility the only early game choice as it immediatly skips over a collosal SEVEN levels of pistol or knife magazine research. No other weapon type does this. This needs to be evened out desperately.

The toilet pistol is nod to the God Father movies.  I do not find the RNG based toilet pistol or knife throws off early game if you are lucky enough to find one.

16 hours ago, Reaver Black said:

Finally. While I'm here I feel it's worth mentioning the egregiously exploitable mission reset oversight that goes a little something like this.

1. Get yourself a 5* mission where the final massive loot pile is barely out of reach (Eg. Red Mesa)

2. Start mission, ignore the whole mission, tunnel into final prize room, grab everything.

3. Exit game and re-enter to respawn outside with the bouncing "!". Take the mission again, it ALL respawns. Repeat infinitely.

This has got to go. Thanks to this I have 100+ crates maxed out of damn near all of the games most valuable items aswell as over 1M Duke coins. It removes all reason to play the game!

By your own admission; these exploits ruin, make the game easy, make the game not fun.  As a player we have agency, we have the choice to engage in exploits or not, we have the choice to use traders or not.  Player agency is key in any game but we as players also have to take responsibly for our own actions; that may hinder our game enjoyment.

23 hours ago, Reaver Black said:

Wait. This isn't even all of it:

1) Press F1

2) enter cm

3) Now there is a new menu where you can get all the endgame stuff much faster

😉

23 hours ago, Reaver Black said:

The early game struggle has always been pretty amazing and enjoyable. But the most recent changes to the water system have made it utterly ridiculous. In the sense that boy, you're gonna struggle UNTIL, you're lucky enough to loot either the purifier mod or the recipe... Once you have one or the other? All survival challenge suddenly flies out the window at once.

PLEASE bring back the steadiness rather than 0 to 100 we're now experiencing.

Or you simply find a cooking pot (not very hard to do, just hit up houses and food trucks and you are bound to find one either in a loot container or out in the open) which allows you to take murky water and boil it to make it drinkable.  Golden rod tea is available after finding 4 cooking magazines and red tea is after 6.  Cooking magazines are easy to find early game unless you specifically avoid residential POIs.

This is not an either or situation.  There are multiple solutions to obtaining water early game that doesn't require obtaining the purifier mod (either by itself or the recipe).  Heck, I have yet had to use the purifier mod for hydration.  I always rationed my looted water supply for hydration / cooking first, then glue.  Only once I have established a constant supply via a dew collector would glue production increase.

Water / food on SP has always been not much of an issue unless you mod the game or turn loot abundance down to a very low percentage where you wouldn't spawn in food / water even if it was picked from the loot table.  Prior to A21, you just need to find the nearest source of water (lake, swimming pool, etc.) and take all your empty jars with you and refill them.  Most of the time, you simply took them with you while you were out that day and when you passed a water source location, you would fill them up.  It wasn't much of a thought early game, it simply was a chore you had to do each day until you built up a good supply of empty jars you had to fill.

On 3/17/2024 at 10:52 PM, Reaver Black said:

you're gonna struggle UNTIL

Welcome to the forum! :)

Others have jumped to offer help, but I feel I have to ask; are you actually struggling? Are you using dew collectors? What exactly is the struggle with?

On 3/17/2024 at 1:52 PM, Reaver Black said:

With all respect, I would say you yourself is ruining the game if you can't control yourself from doing this.  This is a choice.  Try playing straight up, maybe you'll enjoy it more.