Challenge Ideas

So my friends and I have been doing a ~No Trader playthrough. I'm interested in other challenges.

I've tried a horde every night. Sort of "One Day to Die". Found it very hard to progress after the first game week. Your focus is always on surviving the next night.

I've tried perma-death which is interesting but not really suited to team-play. Unless you declare the game over when the first member dies. 

What other ideas do you have?

I will sometimes play what I call a "Sprint." The idea is I want a quick game that I can play in a night or over a weekend.

I make a world, start the game, use godmode to teleport myself to a corner of the map, then turn off godmode. My goal is to get to the opposite corner of the map in some amount of time, often 2-3 game days. I want the time to be enough that I need to worry about food/water and face a tough choice about what to do during the night -- do I hunker down and hide, or do I try to make progress.

There can be other interesting choices. For instance, do I spend time looking for a cooking pot? Hunting while traveling is easy enough, but being able to cook the food and boil water is handy. Where do I find water? If its the Vanilla game, how much time do I spend searching POIs for water? Do I want to spend time looking for better tools?

What skills would you take that are different than normal? Is Iron Gut more useful now? Maybe reduced stamina loss from running would be handy.

If you want a longer spring, spawn in, try to reach all four corners of the map, and then get back to the starting point -- kind of like if somebody inserted you via helicopter, you're scouting, and then need to get back the LZ for a pickup. Give yourself BDUs and maybe a gun with a couple of clips of ammo, maybe some rations.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

A challenge I propose is called "The Trader's Gambit" (placeholder name). The TL;DR is it a combination of Nomad (living out of your backpack and vehicle storage, and you can only stay in a POI for one day/night before you must move) and horde night every night, with an added twist involved. Every day, you must return to your trader and select a quest. Whichever POI you select to be sent to is where you must hold down the horde at. If you want to remove player choice entirely, use a program to pick between 1 and 5, there are a few online that I know of. Rinse and repeat until you die.

Encouragingly, you are only allowed to complete one quest a day. The rest of the day can be dedicated to resource gathering, upgrading your POI base, and looting elsewhere.

Additionally, you have to use the existing shape of the original structure. This means no building pathway bases on the side of a building, or a wall surrounding the perimeter.

Just now, Max Headroom said:

"No Horde Base" might be interesting. Emphasis would be on stamina and parkour, lite or no armor.

That is fun. I play that way a lot. Just take on the horde in the street. It's a good time. You can even do it with a bow. Bring coffee. I recommend the trait that lets you reload on the move.

48 minutes ago, zztong said:

If you want a longer spring, spawn in, try to reach all four corners of the map, and then get back to the starting point -- kind of like if somebody inserted you via helicopter, you're scouting, and then need to get back the LZ for a pickup. Give yourself BDUs and maybe a gun with a couple of clips of ammo, maybe some rations.

Ooh, I like that a LOT!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, zztong said:

That is fun. I play that way a lot. Just take on the horde in the street. It's a good time. You can even do it with a bow. Bring coffee. I recommend the trait that lets you reload on the move.

I have a saved solo game in which I just happen to have the Forgetin Elixer and a Tactical Machine Gun. I should be able to max out parckour, Run-N-Gun, Machine Gunner and Stamina.  :D

Something I have done is remove horde nights altogether and have Khaine's wandering horde modlet installed.  It changes how often the hordes can spawn and how big they are.  It has made some interesting times doing a trader mission only to have a large wandering horde come into the POI you are trying to clear out.  You also have to protect your main base (if you have a separate horde base) more.

Another variation was Khaine's modlet and setting bloodmoons to every 10 days.  The wandering horde changes keep you on your toes, so having 10 days (instead of 7) doesn't really make it that much easier.

Personally, I been playing more No repairs on equipment allowed which changes how you approach each day.  You got to plan out resources to replace your gear constantly while also planning for a future horde night.  It doesn't do any good to use all of your forged iron or forged steel for base upgrades if you go into the horde night with damage guns that will only last one hour into it.

Honestly, given how rare steel tool parts are, I don't know how you can really do no repair.  It's usually weeks after I can make max level steel tools before I have enough to make an axe, let alone a shovel (though why would you?), and forget ever making a ratchet.

I guess if you use the chainsaw/auger it might not be so bad (those parts seem much more common) but I hate them and never use them except sometimes the auger if I need to remove some concrete/steel blocks I don't want where they are anymore.

13 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Honestly, given how rare steel tool parts are, I don't know how you can really do no repair.  It's usually weeks after I can make max level steel tools before I have enough to make an axe, let alone a shovel (though why would you?), and forget ever making a ratchet.

I guess if you use the chainsaw/auger it might not be so bad (those parts seem much more common) but I hate them and never use them except sometimes the auger if I need to remove some concrete/steel blocks I don't want where they are anymore.

Sometimes you have to use a lower tier item to get by.  You don't have enough parts for a steel axe, make an iron axe.  Or with the new crafting system, you can either use an iron axe until you have enough parts to make a new steel axe at the highest quality you can craft - or you craft a lower quality steel axe based on the # of parts you have.

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Sometimes you have to use a lower tier item to get by.  You don't have enough parts for a steel axe, make an iron axe.  Or with the new crafting system, you can either use an iron axe until you have enough parts to make a new steel axe at the highest quality you can craft - or you craft a lower quality steel axe based on the # of parts you have.

I suppose.  I just go through tools at a voracious rate (usually multiple repairs per trip) so I'd basically never have access to the best tools I can make, which I would find pretty frustrating.  I'd totally be willing to do it for weapons (maybe not armor...military armor parts are abundant, but steel armor parts are also super rare in my experience) but tools would really bug me.

If you're going to do challenges that can funnel you down a path of unsustainability, you might consider altering your toggles to change your day/night scale accordingly.  In addition, id encourage you to play around with your loot percentage and trimming player block damage to whatever fits your goals.