My opinion on the Alpha 21

CannelleYT

Hi, I'm here to give my opinion on Alpha 21 and especially on the books, since the rest is pretty cool.
I'm not going to beat myself up, I find that your book system doesn't work well enough for my taste. Indeed I don't have the impression that it changes anything, so yes it is true that when we put points in the associated skill trees we find more related books.
The thing is that we continue to loot dozens of weapons/tools/armor of high quality and even category over the long term that we have not yet unlocked. I think you should review your loot system to better align with this skill book system.
Indeed, what's the point of increasing your harvesting tool skill to craft a wrench or a bolter if I can obtain it in fairly good quality and easily repairable just by looting. I think you should make sure that if you haven't unlocked the crafting of an item then it will be impossible to find it by looting.
The thing is that it will make the loot less surprising or interesting, I don't know how you're going to improve it but I think you've put yourself in a real pain with this system.
Regarding the skill trees that have been modified, why put lockpicking in intelligence when logically it is a thief's thing and therefore should be in discretion? I find this a little inconsistent for my part.
I would end with a little suggestion regarding melee weapons, instead of putting one tree for clubs, batons, maces, spear and fists why not just make three skill trees?
A blunt type which will include mace, clubs, batons and fists. A piercing type with the spear, the bow and why not add a new weapon (Javelin). And a sharp type that would bleed like knives, why not add swords/katanas or even hand claws. 
(Just a little idea like that, it would create new skill trees like building upgrades, athletics and other stuff)

One way they could improve it, imo, would be to have traders only sell up to orange quality of any weapon or tool and to have all weapons found in loot to be worthless except to scrap them for parts.  That way, you buy low quality weapons and use them or buy them to scrap them for their parts and anything you find would just be junk to be scrapped for parts and so all the high quality stuff would be only from crafting-- except the purple legendaries and those should only be rare finds in loot at a high enough lootstage that you would only find them in Tier 5 POIs in the wasteland and not given as rewards for quests by the trader.

That would be a pretty insta-download modlet if someone wanted to create it.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Roland said:

One way they could improve it, imo, would be to have traders only sell up to orange quality of any weapon or tool and to have all weapons found in loot to be worthless except to scrap them for parts.  That way, you buy low quality weapons and use them or buy them to scrap them for their parts and anything you find would just be junk to be scrapped for parts and so all the high quality stuff would be only from crafting-- except the purple legendaries and those should only be rare finds in loot at a high enough lootstage that you would only find them in Tier 5 POIs in the wasteland and not given as rewards for quests by the trader.

So not asking for much here. 😏

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Not a bad idea. I wanna revamp the whole balance for my mod but refuse to dive into it until gold. For now I just made things more expensive so any higher tier item costs a lot. Quest rewards are still a mess though. 

8 hours ago, Roland said:

except the purple legendaries and those should only be rare finds in loot at a high enough lootstage that you would only find them in Tier 5 POIs in the wasteland

I was with you up until this bit.  I hate the Wasteland and I hate tier 5 POIs (I find them too long and just tedious), so that would suck.  Though Q6 gear is semi-pointless now, so I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

On 11/26/2023 at 3:15 PM, Roland said:

give me a few days and I should have something that gives you 99% of what you are asking for.

FYI

I already got the broken items added to the game and into the loot tables - Note, to keep this modlet as friendly as possible, I am not adding custom icons at this time for the broken items, I am just using the vanilla assets and adding a color tint to them so they are noticeably different than working gear - you also shouldn't be able to equip them

Tasks remaining:

• Remove quality gear from trader rewards
  • Limit trader stock to Q1 and Q2
  • Change Q6 items to T5 POIs only - not adding Wasteland at this time, but I am going to make them a rare drop
  • Update localization file for new items added
  • Test it out to verify no issues
  • Come up with a decent name for this mod - I got nothing right now

Some additional QOL improvements that weren't asked for but thought would be nice

• Military Stealth boots Q6 added to T5 POIs loot drops
  • Adjust the trader rewards for T1-T4 to account for removing gear as a potential - leaning towards more ammo / parts / etc
  • Football helmet, swat helmet, firefighter helmet, and mining helmet adding recipes for them and unlocks in case people want those in-game.

So the majority of the work is now done and ready for me to start testing to see if I broke something.

After that, just need to do the localization file, create a readme file listing all the changes to include wit the file, polish up some of the notes in the individual files and it will be ready for download.

Shooting for tomorrow release but could drift into the weekend depending on if I can get some time tonight to start testing it.

I got a working modlet posted.  It will be under Crafting mod section in my A21 modlet post

I didn't do my balance testing, just made sure everything was working accordingly.  I did eventually add T0 Q6 items to the T5 POI drops, but they are currently commented out so if you want to add them, feel free to do so.  I left some pretty detailed instructions in the loot file where you need to make the changes.

Let me know if you see any bugs or any improvements necessary.

On 11/27/2023 at 12:42 AM, Vaeliorin said:

I was with you up until this bit.  I hate the Wasteland and I hate tier 5 POIs (I find them too long and just tedious), so that would suck.  Though Q6 gear is semi-pointless now, so I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

yeah I never do T5 poi's they are just too massive and the loot is usually not worth the time investment needed to do the poi properly, by this I mean following the devs intended path. Some t4's are also too big for their tier.

On 12/2/2023 at 4:57 AM, BFT2020 said:

I got a working modlet posted.  It will be under Crafting mod section in my A21 modlet post

I didn't do my balance testing, just made sure everything was working accordingly.  I did eventually add T0 Q6 items to the T5 POI drops, but they are currently commented out so if you want to add them, feel free to do so.  I left some pretty detailed instructions in the loot file where you need to make the changes.

Let me know if you see any bugs or any improvements necessary.

Im five days into a new game using your mod. So far so good. It’s much more crafting-centric

14 hours ago, Roland said:

Im five days into a new game using your mod. So far so good. It’s much more crafting-centric

Thanks for the feedback.

I am probably going to combine this mod with my no-repair / Q6 crafting mod that I personally play with as I like how it changes the looting process up even more.  With repairing items not being an option, it makes you have to craft even into the late game.  The only drawback right now (and it is more on me than anything) is that any gear found in loot that isn't broken would have to be repaired to be used.  I have not gone down the rabbit hole yet into C# coding to make it so any Q6 spawn in loot has full durability.