No mods loading, XML patching fails with ICSharpCode error

Belenos

Hi All,

I've been enjoying 7 days to die for years now, and after a stable version comes out I always put together several mods and never had any issue. Now today out of the blue I started to get the following errors in the logs when starting the game, saying the XML file could not be patched:

2023-08-08T20:23:47 13.367 EXC Field not found: ICSharpCode.WpfDesign.XamlDom.PositionXmlDocument .XmlFile.XmlDoc Due to: Could not find field in class
  at (wrapper dynamic-method) XmlPatcher.DMD<XmlPatcher::PatchXml>(XmlFile,XmlFile,string)
  at XmlPatcher+<LoadAndPatchConfig>d__0.MoveNext () [0x00213] in <0266d593c0f442fa83ca9e728741ee90>:0 
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStringFromException(Object)
Log:Exception(Exception)
<LoadAndPatchConfig>d__0:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Now interestingly I tried to continue a game, and then all the mods showed the same error. I tried the usual like checking file integrity, uninstalling the game, re-installing it... etc. It works fine until I add mods modifying the XML files. Since it's related to ICSharpCodeI tried to do a Windows Update to no avail, it seems like my .Net install is fine.

Here below is the pastebin link to my latest log file:
https://pastebin.com/ZJ0mx88n

Any help would be much appreciated.

12 hours ago, Belenos said:

Yes I tried that but it's still the same. Without any mod it works. Any mod I add is the same. I tried with just one.

Are you starting a new save, or trying to go back into the broken one?  Once you remove most of the mods you have, it will invalidate the save they were used on.

2 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Are you starting a new save, or trying to go back into the broken one?  Once you remove most of the mods you have, it will invalidate the save they were used on.

Unfortunately my original save was invalidated as you said. So now I'm trying to just start a new game. Any mod fails. Really weird.

So lets go back to the very beginning and follow these steps to see if we can A) Get  a vanilla game to load, and then B) start adding mods in small groups to try and narrow down the issue

1) Remove / Delete all mods in the mod folders

2) Verify all files through Steam at least 2 times

3) Start the game launcher and go into the Data tab, clear out all previous data (profiles, saved games, worlds, etc).  Lets get a clean start.

4) Run the game without any mods

5) If no issues from 4, start adding mods in small groups and see how everything loads up.

Also, as an aside, I noticed you are using Izayo's 556 and shotgun weapon packs.  There is a link in each of those threads to update the crafting display that I released to support Izayo that you can download and install.  Should be in one of my posts in those threads.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

So lets go back to the very beginning and follow these steps to see if we can A) Get  a vanilla game to load, and then B) start adding mods in small groups to try and narrow down the issue

1) Remove / Delete all mods in the mod folders

2) Verify all files through Steam at least 2 times

3) Start the game launcher and go into the Data tab, clear out all previous data (profiles, saved games, worlds, etc).  Lets get a clean start.

4) Run the game without any mods

5) If no issues from 4, start adding mods in small groups and see how everything loads up.

Also, as an aside, I noticed you are using Izayo's 556 and shotgun weapon packs.  There is a link in each of those threads to update the crafting display that I released to support Izayo that you can download and install.  Should be in one of my posts in those threads.

Thanks for the reply. I followed all the steps you listed. Then I started a new world with adding just one mod adding an acid recipe, got no error message but the mods did not load as I could not find the recipe. I then added half of the mods and started a new game and got the same error message as before when initialising the game, and when the game was finally started not a single mod was loaded.

I had this issue when developing a new mod. The new mod had an error in it, so no mods loaded. It sounds like one of your mods has an issue. Can you try a new game with no mods, then add one mod. If it works, remove the working mod and add another. Repeat until you find the mod that is giving you trouble.

Could you possibly list or link the mods you're running?

uhhh.....the line right above....

2023-08-08T20:23:39 5.403 ERR XML loader: Patching 'XUi_Menu/windows.xml' from mod 'SpawnsAndClaimsMod' failed:

I don't know if that is KHA21-SpawnsAndClaims or maybe an older version or the same mod by someone else, but I am using that one with no issues.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I took a break playing Baldur's Gate 3 to clear my head with this one. This weekend I re-installed my PC, then I went on to download again the game and the mods and verify the ones I wrote myself. I started with just bunch of mods and added them a few at a time.

Conclusion: the Khaines mods were the ones causing the error message. I must have had broken files since the version was 1.0.0.1 for the 96 backpack mod on both the one I was using and the one I re-downloaded.

Anyway, back to 7 day to die for me :) . Thanks for the replies, you guys helped and pointed me in the right direction.