Land Mines in Wasteland

34thdaydead

Land mines in wasteland is one of the biggest issues I've taken with the game. Like, my god, all it does is make me avoid the biome like the plague. I won't go there for air drops or quests or POIs, not for @%$#.

I won't pretend I understand everything about game design, but it doesn't feel like good design, because it doesn't "add challenge" or anything, it just adds tedium and de-incentivizes players to explore. It may as well just be pockets of radiation in the map.

Let's just get rid of them.

Edited by 34thdaydead
forgot a sentence (see edit history)

If you want to get rid of them it should be a pretty simple modlet. IIRC, it would just have to remove a line from the decorations.

In game lore, I can't explain why there are landmines in the ruins, but I don't mind the danger and kind of enjoy having to be extra careful.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

If you want to get rid of them it should be a pretty simple modlet. IIRC, it would just have to remove a line from the decorations.

In game lore, I can't explain why there are landmines in the ruins, but I don't mind the danger and kind of enjoy having to be extra careful.

huh, I didn't know about modlets til now. Thanks.

But I still think my point stands, regardless of my playstyle I just think it isn't a good game feature. But I suppose that's simply a matter of opinion...

9 hours ago, 34thdaydead said:

huh, I didn't know about modlets til now. Thanks.

But I still think my point stands, regardless of my playstyle I just think it isn't a good game feature. But I suppose that's simply a matter of opinion...

I was partly right. There's more than one line. A modlet to accomplish this would make adjustments to the configuration in the biomes.xml file. You would use XPATH to delete lines like this found in the various Wasteland Sub-Biomes:

<decoration type="block" blockname="mineCandyTin" prob="0.00015"/>
<decoration type="block" blockname="mineHubcap" prob="0.0001"/>

It would be a number of statements like this: (I didn't test them, so those statements might be messed up.)

<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[2]/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[2]/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[3]/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[3]/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[4]/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[4]/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />

But, if that's correct, or the correct form of that above would be the core of the modlet. The rest would just be the usual modlet framework.

There is a book you can read in-game which makes it so that landmines won't detonate when you step/drive over them. I believe it is Urban Combat, volume 5. Very useful book!

I can understand a player being annoyed by them. It's likely instant death early game until you have better armor. It is suppose to be a challenging place, though. Aside from the die-hard masochist players, you aren't really meant to venture there until you are prepared. Like zztong mentioned, though, if they're really that much of a pain, just mod them out.

Interesting. I haven't come across mines in the wasteland other than normal POI mines that can be found in any biome.  I guess I need to max out infiltrator and go mine collecting. 😁. More mines in the world is a good thing, imo.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, zztong said:

It would be a number of statements like this: (I didn't test them, so those statements might be messed up.)

<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[2]/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[2]/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[3]/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[3]/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[4]/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/subbiome[4]/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/decoration[@blockname='mineCandyTin']" />
<remove xpath="/worldgeneration/biomes/biome[@name='wasteland']/decoration[@blockname='mineHubcap']" />

But, if that's correct, or the correct form of that above would be the core of the modlet. The rest would just be the usual modlet framework.

Or if you are lazy like me, you would just do  😏

<remove xpath="//decoration[contains(@blockname,'mine')]"/>

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Or if you are lazy like me, you would just do  😏

<remove xpath="//decoration[contains(@blockname,'mine')]"/>

Thank you for the tip. I need to learn and remember those xpath options.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:16 PM, Riamus said:

Interesting. I haven't come across mines in the wasteland other than normal POI mines that can be found in any biome.  I guess I need to max out infiltrator and go mine collecting. 😁. More mines in the world is a good thing, imo.

If you go off road you will find one 

And it will make you @%$# your pants a bit at 3Am with a headset on...

Ask me how I know 

26 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

If you go off road you will find one 

And it will make you @%$# your pants a bit at 3Am with a headset on...

Ask me how I know 

I'm usually offroad, even in the wasteland. 😁 But I haven't driven a ton in the wasteland in A21, so that is probably why I haven't noticed them.