Stoves, microwaves, trash converters and refrigerators

Shaenara

Summary: Items such as stoves, microwaves, trash converters and refrigerators remain in an open state and cannot be closed once looted. I understand that this is, according to your help desk, a way to show the players that the item has already been looted. It is, however, very frustrating if you want to put your looted loot in such an item on your current sleeping bag (restore point) area. On restore point area, if you happen to remove all the item inside the e.g., stove it defaults to the "open door" stage, and you cannot close/use it again. Can it be repaired so that IF the item is on an active restore point (last sleeping bag etc.) that the item remains a container that can be closed and opened. If the restore point moves somewhere else, it can defer to open if there is nothing inside and closed if there are items inside. 

Game Version: (A21 b324)

OS/Version: (Windows)

CPU Model: (12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900   2.40 GHz)

System Memory: (32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)

GPU Model and VRAM: (nVidia GeForce 1070)

Screen Resolution: (3840 x 2160)

Video Settings: (Medium)

Game mode: (Adventurer - Single Player)

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes)

Did you start a new game? (Yes)

Did you validate your files? (Yes)

Are you using any mods? (No)

EAC on or off? Not sure

7DTDStoveMicrowave.jpg

This was, unfortunately, intentional on the part of the developers. You can keep it "closed" by placing something inside before closing the loot window, but that just becomes annoying after a while.

The only way to "fix" it for now is to have Chunk Reset turned on and not visit that chunk for a while. Or to take a quest in that POI and use that to reset it once.

Yeah, this change is deliberate and is unlikely to be changed back.  You will need to either always keep an item in the container so it remains "closed" or else use other containers that don't have an open state.  It may not look as nice but it's the only option unless you want to keep playing A20 instead of A21 or newer versions.

When it only costs a bit of wood and some nails to make massive containers and place wherever, I can't see a single reason why would anybody chose to store their stuff in those tiny random ones. To each their own I guess.

What I'd rather see instead is making stoves and microwaves usable when supplied with power and make it possible to cook stuff there.

Like the above poster says, make a chest. It's not hard to do. 10 wood. This is an aesthetic choice being made, not a gameplay issue. 

Leave something in and you are good. Either way, this doesn't hurt the game. Maybe if you are truly in a roleplaying experience and don't want to break immersion, I get it, but do you also play with a HUD? How exactly like real life do you want it?

It's a minor issue to me and if didn't change I wouldn't be upset. However, couldn't the game still allow a block with an "open" appearance to be interacted with and would present an empty inventory. If something were placed in the block's inventory, couldn't the appearance change back to "closed"?

I do agree that 99/100 times this is an aesthetic matter for a base and waiting until you can make some nails and craft some household blocks isn't a major barrier. There are times, however, when you're in a POI, managing inventory, and you'd like to stick a few things into a cabinet to come back for them later. If your inventory were full, you could drop something, craft a chest, place it, pick up the dropped item, and dump stuff into the chest.

Yeh, this is why its a minor issue to me. Sure, I'd love to be able to put something into an empty cabinet, but I'm not suffering. This part of fixing up a base is a small effort.

4 hours ago, warmer said:

Like the above poster says, make a chest. It's not hard to do. 10 wood. This is an aesthetic choice being made, not a gameplay issue. 

Leave something in and you are good. Either way, this doesn't hurt the game. Maybe if you are truly in a roleplaying experience and don't want to break immersion, I get it, but do you also play with a HUD? How exactly like real life do you want it?

Sure, it's aesthetic.  There isn't anything wrong with that.  Some (most) people make a utilitarian base that just does what it needs to do and that's it.  But there are still many people who like to make a base that looks great.  Being able to use containers that match their use, such as a fridge or cabinet, is a legitimate choice to make.  As it is, they already aren't allowing you to craft or buy many of the objects that would really make some great bases so you have to use the Creative Menu to get them.  Now, they also don't let you re-use many containers that are fully looted.  That is really not a good path to take, imo.

They say they don't want to let you buy/craft many of the objects because of the potential for abuse by players to create performance problems on a server.  This is easily remedied by marking them the same way dev blocks are and then providing a game/server option that allows or prevents the use of them so that it's entirely up to the host of the game whether or not they want to deal with such an relatively unlikely possibility.  Then, groups of friends and single players and other groups that aren't going to abuse the objects can use them without resorting to the Creative Menu.  As far as the open states of containers, it shouldn't be at all difficult to allow people to still use the containers.  It would be great to have them change state to closed again, but that's not critical.  If that's too much effort, just make them still be usable in the open state and call it done.  These aren't difficult things to do and there really isn't any reason not to do them even if people who don't care about aesthetics aren't going to make use of them.

Another thing is that the traders sell appliances that are not like the loot container ones.  So you can buy it and place it.  Since it is a player placed block, it doesn't get assigned a loot group so won't ever change into the open state once you loot it.

<!-- *** Deco_Blocks -->
        <trader_item_group name="decorativeBlocks" count="1">
            <item group="decorativeBlinds"/>
            <item name="airConditioner" count="2,3"/>
            <item name="appliancesVariantHelper" count="2,3"/>
            <item name="cntCashRegister"/>
            <item name="cntCoolerVariantHelper"/>
            <item name="cntFileCabinetBlockVariantHelper"/>
            <item name="sinkKitchen" count="2,4"/>
            <item name="pictureVariantHelper" count="2,3"/>
            <item name="cntWaterCoolerFull"/>
            <item name="pipeLargeBlockVariantHelper" count="20,30"/>
            <item name="pipeSmallBlockVariantHelper" count="20,30"/>
            <item name="treeAzalea" count="8,15"/>
            <item name="barStoolVariantHelper" count="4,8"/>
        </trader_item_group>

<block name="appliancesVariantHelper">
    <property name="Extends" value="cntStoveModernVer1Closed" param1="Place,EconomicValue"/>
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="cntStoveModernVer1Closed"/>
    <property name="ItemTypeIcon" value="all_blocks"/>
    <property name="DescriptionKey" value="blockVariantHelperGroupDesc"/>
    <property name="SelectAlternates" value="true"/>
    <property name="PlaceAltBlockValue" value="cntStoveModernVer1Closed_Player,cntStoveOldVer1Closed_Player,cntMicrowaveOvenVer1Closed_Player,cntMicrowaveOvenVer2Closed_Player,cntToaster,cntCoffeeMaker,cntRetroFridgeVer1Closed_Player,cntFridgeStainlessSteel_Player,cntWasherClosed_Player,cntDryerClosed_Player,cntgasRangeWhite,cntgasRangeGrey,cntgasRangeBlack,cntwallOvenFullWhite_Player,cntwallOvenFullGrey_Player,cntwallOvenFullBlack_Player,cntDishwasherFullWhite_Player,cntDishwasherFullYellow_Player,cntDishwasherFullGreen_Player,cntDishwasherFullBlack_Player,hoodRangeWhite,hoodRangeYellow,hoodRangeGreen,hoodRangeGrey,hoodRangeBlack,hoodRangeWhiteOffset,hoodRangeYellowOffset,hoodRangeGreenOffset,hoodRangeGreyOffset,hoodRangeBlackOffset,decoComputerDeskTopPC,decoComputerMonitorKeyboardMousePC,decoComputerMonitorKeyboardMouse,decoComputerMonitorKeyboardMouse2,decoComputerMonitor,decoLaptop,wallClock"/>
    <property name="SortOrder1" value="U200"/>
    <property name="SortOrder2" value="0000"/>
    <property name="FilterTags" value="MC_playerBlocks,SC_playerHelpers"/>
</block>