[A21] khzmusik's Modlets

khzmusik

2 hours ago, khzmusik said:

From what I can tell (and what people have told me on Guppy's Discord), the performance impact is due to keeping an additional chunk live in the game.

So it doesn't really map to frames per second, so much as a bit of extra processing power and extra memory, both of which are roughly equivalent to adding a player in a MP game (since players are always chunk observers).

It also depends upon the number of chunks, not the number of observers, so if there are ten observers in the same chunk you only have a performance impact for one chunk. That's part of the reason I thought it would be OK, since I'm pretty sure that most players create dew collector "farms" that are mostly in the same chunk.

Having said that, I test on single player, and the effect on my system was negligible. For reference, my computer has an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor,16G RAM, and an RTX 2060 GPU. So it's not top-of-the-line by any means, but I recognize that a lot of players still use systems that aren't as good. I don't think it will have a big impact but I haven't tested on systems lower than mine.

That answered most of my questions, thanks! So for single player the best strategy is to keep all of your dew collectors in one chunk instead of spreading them around.

My PC is fairly comparable to yours -- Ryzen 5 2600x, RTX 2080, same amount of ram. It would be an interesting experiment to place a lot (I mean a WHOLE LOT) of dew collectors around a map, each one in a different chunk, just to see how many active chunks it takes to make a serious, measurable difference in performance. 😁

I just released another update to the Rain Collector mod. These changes should make calculations more accurate, whether or not you choose to enable chunk observers.

Changes in 21.0.1.3:

• Keeps incremental averages of weather information, per biome
    • Dew collector uses incremental averages when not in the current weather biome (if you use chunk observers), or when returning to the chunk after a long absence
    • Dew collector updates incremental averages with current weather (and uses current weather) otherwise
    • Throttling of incremental average updates for multiple dew collectors in the same biome
  • Bug fix: if otherwise enabled, removing "IsChunkObserver" (rather than setting it to "false") did not disable chunk observers
  • Now avoids repeat initialization
  • Improved handling of the weather grace period
  • More informative logging (shown in debug mode, type "dm" in the console)

These changes have been tested on existing games, and should be save game safe (though as always, I make no guarantee). I recommend updating for a better experience.

However, the fact that it is save game safe means neither the incremental averages nor chunk observers will persist if you leave the game. In most cases this should not be noticeable at all, but it might cause a bit more/less water to be added, when you first enter the same chunk as the dew collector after starting the game.

Enjoy!

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

6 hours ago, MandyCMoore said:

Hi! I hope I'm not asking something that has already been answered, but I was wondering if you were planning to update your Civilians & Whisperers? Thanks so much!

Absolutely. Civilians are next, then probably rogues and psychos. I want to make some improvements to Whisperers so my plan is to do those last. I'm planning to do more packs too.

7 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Absolutely. Civilians are next, then probably rogues and psychos. I want to make some improvements to Whisperers so my plan is to do those last. I'm planning to do more packs too.

Awesome! Civilians & Whisperers have become a must for us, & the world just doesn't feel right without them. Lol. Awesome job!

Just to let folks know: The latest A21.1 experimental removed support for replacing materials via XML. This is how I did my radiated and feral zombies, so those will have to be redone.

It's an easy fix, and it shouldn't break A21.0, so I plan to do that tonight.

21 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Just to let folks know: The latest A21.1 experimental removed support for replacing materials via XML. This is how I did my radiated and feral zombies, so those will have to be redone.

It's an easy fix, and it shouldn't break A20.0, so I plan to do that tonight.

Going to do particles instead?  There was a different way to change the materials that I was using made by Altered... However, it is a harmony addition and broken as well currently.  Hoping Altered will try to fix but not likely.

Edited by Viscrimson (see edit history)

The Zombies modlet is now updated with the changes needed for A21.1.

The new version is 21.1.1.1.

However, even though it was designed for A21.1, I also tested it with A21.0 (current stable) and there were no issues. The update should also be save-game safe. So, even if you're not updating to A21.1 yet, I still recommend getting the latest version.

The links are the same, but here they are again, so you don't have to search the first post.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_Zombies 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_Zombies 

9 hours ago, Viscrimson said:

Going to do particles instead?  There was a different way to change the materials that I was using made by Altered... However, it is a harmony addition and broken as well currently.  Hoping Altered will try to fix but not likely.

I'm not a big fan of using particle effects for radiated or feral zombies. Also I don't need to swap out materials dynamically, so extra C# is overkill.

Instead of bundling the materials separately, and switching them using XML, I just made new prefabs for each zombie in Unity. Each variant is the same except for the material used for the eyes, and in the case of radiated zombies, the material used for the body. Usually those materials re-use textures from the "main" zombie, though I did have to edit some textures for a few of the radiated materials (otherwise the clothing looked weird).

Perhaps ironically, this results in a smaller file size overall. Since everything is in the same bundle, the only extra file/memory space needed is for the extra textures used for the radiated materials; everything else is re-used between prefabs. In this case the file size went up by about 3M (from about 66M to 69M). When I bundled the materials separately, that bundle was about 28M. So putting them in the same bundle saved about 25M. I'm guessing those gains are also reflected in the extra memory needed.

So, I probably should have done it this way in the first place.

1 hour ago, khzmusik said:

The Zombies modlet is now updated with the changes needed for A21.1.

The new version is 21.1.1.1.

However, even though it was designed for A21.1, I also tested it with A21.0 (current stable) and there were no issues. The update should also be save-game safe. So, even if you're not updating to A21.1 yet, I still recommend getting the latest version.

The links are the same, but here they are again, so you don't have to search the first post.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_Zombies 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_Zombies 

I'm not a big fan of using particle effects for radiated or feral zombies. Also I don't need to swap out materials dynamically, so extra C# is overkill.

Instead of bundling the materials separately, and switching them using XML, I just made new prefabs for each zombie in Unity. Each variant is the same except for the material used for the eyes, and in the case of radiated zombies, the material used for the body. Usually those materials re-use textures from the "main" zombie, though I did have to edit some textures for a few of the radiated materials (otherwise the clothing looked weird).

Perhaps ironically, this results in a smaller file size overall. Since everything is in the same bundle, the only extra file/memory space needed is for the extra textures used for the radiated materials; everything else is re-used between prefabs. In this case the file size went up by about 3M (from about 66M to 69M). When I bundled the materials separately, that bundle was about 28M. So putting them in the same bundle saved about 25M. I'm guessing those gains are also reflected in the extra memory needed.

So, I probably should have done it this way in the first place.

Can you use any of your zombie packs without NPCCore? 'Just wondering :D 

7 hours ago, MrSamuelAdams said:

I tried to make the zombie pack a standalone modlet, but did not succeed. The Unity controller (with the animations) doesn't work properly without SCore and NPC Core, despite being essentially a rip of the vanilla controller.

On 8/6/2023 at 3:48 AM, MrSamuelAdams said:

Actually, I'd like to follow up on this. What is the reason you don't want to use NPC Core? Is it just that you don't want to install a separate modlet, or that NPC Core requires SCore and its C# code, or some other reason?

5 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Actually, I'd like to follow up on this. What is the reason you don't want to use NPC Core? Is it just that you don't want to install a separate modlet, or that NPC Core requires SCore and its C# code, or some other reason?

I think since with a mod I must be using or not on the latest version of 7 days. Some reason when I have NPCCore installed it makes vultures in the game invulnerable. So currently not able to have that installed until I update to the latest experimental or check which mod is causing the issue. Which haven't had a chance yet. 

3 hours ago, MrSamuelAdams said:

I think since with a mod I must be using or not on the latest version of 7 days. Some reason when I have NPCCore installed it makes vultures in the game invulnerable. So currently not able to have that installed until I update to the latest experimental or check which mod is causing the issue. Which haven't had a chance yet. 

If you install NPC Core into an existing game, stuff like that can happen. I'm pretty sure it's the added factions, and their IDs are now in whatever faction ID the player was using when the game was started.

That is a good reason to try to make zombies independent though, a better chance that they're safe to add to existing games. There is talk of trying this in the NPC Core Discord channel, so hopefully it will happen (no promises though).

If you install NPC Core into an existing game, stuff like that can happen. I'm pretty sure it's the added factions, and their IDs are now in whatever faction ID the player was using when the game was started.

That is a good reason to try to make zombies independent though, a better chance that they're safe to add to existing games. There is talk of trying this in the NPC Core Discord channel, so hopefully it will happen (no promises though).

Understand, and even on a new save with NPCCore. It was happening with the vultures. 

I was unable to rectify the issue. 

When I do have more time I will go through my Mods and see if I can figure out what is causing the issue. 

I will retry alsonin the future on 21.1 and a new save to make sure there was no conflict. 

Sounds good though! 

Reset Character On Death  thinking of renting a server this will work ok on a dedicated server? i want to play on a multiplayer europian server where all players will play like permadeath.....any other tips i should know the other mods you have was better for permadeath but i want to keep eac on really thanks for this mod...

3 hours ago, bladegreek said:

Reset Character On Death  thinking of renting a server this will work ok on a dedicated server? i want to play on a multiplayer europian server where all players will play like permadeath.....any other tips i should know the other mods you have was better for permadeath but i want to keep eac on really thanks for this mod...

If you want EAC to be on, and/or to not require clients to install the mod locally, then this is probably your best bet.

If anyone else has made a mod like this, I don't know about it. Khaine had one but it also used C#, and I don't think he updated it for A20 or A21.

I did see some things in the vanilla gameevents.xml file that are new for A21 and can be used for "permadeath." But I was told on Discord that some if it is broken, and I haven't had time to test any of it. It's on my list of things to do, but I am already a couple months backed up with NPC stuff.

If you know XML and want to try it out yourself, look in that file for the "game_player_reset" action sequence. (I'm not sure how it would be triggered, which is part of what I was going to look at later.)

4 hours ago, khzmusik said:

If you want EAC to be on, and/or to not require clients to install the mod locally, then this is probably your best bet.

If anyone else has made a mod like this, I don't know about it. Khaine had one but it also used C#, and I don't think he updated it for A20 or A21.

I did see some things in the vanilla gameevents.xml file that are new for A21 and can be used for "permadeath." But I was told on Discord that some if it is broken, and I haven't had time to test any of it. It's on my list of things to do, but I am already a couple months backed up with NPC stuff.

If you know XML and want to try it out yourself, look in that file for the "game_player_reset" action sequence. (I'm not sure how it would be triggered, which is part of what I was going to look at later.)

ty for your great work and your time answering i have no idea about making mods or programming in general but since i cant find a server wih permadeath i may start 1 in future with your mod for now i will gather information and see if that possible and your mod almost is perfect for that job  really thanks again

Hey I posted this question in the NPCCore thread as well. Not sure where I should ask it. 

So I like your NPC removal mod. 

But i want to keep all Ememy NPC's and remove just the Baker and the Nurse from Spawning. 

Is that possible? 

Would removing all Bakers and all Nurses from the ZombiesAll enititygroup in NPCCore - remove them from spawning in the world?

Edited by MrSamuelAdams (see edit history)

15 hours ago, MrSamuelAdams said:

Hey I posted this question in the NPCCore thread as well. Not sure where I should ask it. 

So I like your NPC removal mod. 

But i want to keep all Ememy NPC's and remove just the Baker and the Nurse from Spawning. 

Is that possible? 

Would removing all Bakers and all Nurses from the ZombiesAll enititygroup in NPCCore - remove them from spawning in the world?

If you want to keep Harley, then just comment out this line in my modlet:

<csv xpath="//entitygroup/text()" delim="\n" op="remove">npcHarley*</csv>

Removing the Bakers and Nurses from the "ZombiesAll" group would stop some spawning, but not all. They're also added to the "ZombiesNight" and "SnowZombies" entity groups.

They're also added to the groups that spawn into friendly NPC POIs, but I only know of one such POI (the one in Stallionsden's NPC Prefab Pack). So I don't think you have to worry about those. (I will be creating some in the future though.)

I just released the first human NPC pack updated to A21.

Civilians Pack for NPC Core

Adds "Civilian" human NPCs to the game.

All of them are in the Whiteriver faction, and can be hired.

Every character can wield all supported NPC weapons.

All characters were created by me, using assets that are either free for re-use or CC-BY.

New for A21: The pack includes XML that will create bandit versions of the civilian characters, and add them to the proper entity groups. This XML is in separate files, and is disabled by default. It must be enabled by either deleting the pack's original files and renaming the bandit files, or by cutting-and-pasting the bandit XML into the pack's original files. Detailed instructions are in the README.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

I just released the first human NPC pack updated to A21.

Civilians Pack for NPC Core

Adds "Civilian" human NPCs to the game.

All of them are in the Whiteriver faction, and can be hired.

Every character can wield all supported NPC weapons.

All characters were created by me, using assets that are either free for re-use or CC-BY.

New for A21: The pack includes XML that will create bandit versions of the civilian characters, and add them to the proper entity groups. This XML is in separate files, and is disabled by default. It must be enabled by either deleting the pack's original files and renaming the bandit files, or by cutting-and-pasting the bandit XML into the pack's original files. Detailed instructions are in the README.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

Sounds awesome! 

How do these compare to the baker and the nurse in NPCCore and the hire able raiders? 

10 hours ago, DrunkZombie said:

Awesome! I've been waiting for this to start a new game. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Well, the good news is if you already started a game with SCore and NPC Core, then I believe you can add NPC packs without starting a new game. But I've only tested this briefly, so I can't guarantee it.

It's also good news since I'm updating more NPC packs now. I will do Whisperers, if I can get the improvements done quickly; otherwise I'll do Rogues and Psychos. Not having to start a new game when those come out would be nice.

9 hours ago, MrSamuelAdams said:

Sounds awesome! 

How do these compare to the baker and the nurse in NPCCore and the hire able raiders? 

Nothing major, other than the character models of course.

The spawn probabilities are different (and IMHO far superior) to the other packs. Spawning is staged by biome difficulty (so you won't encounter a rocket launcher NPC in the forest but might in the wasteland). The spawn rates are lower, so they don't overwhelm zombies; you will probably encounter only one or two per day.

Each character supports all the NPC Core weapon types, so there's a lot of variety. (For better or worse, depending upon whether you think a teenager should ever be armed with a rocket launcher. :) )

I also tweaked some of the sounds. No new audio clips, but new sounds using the vanilla audio clips, so they're more appropriate and less repetitive.

But other than that, what you see with the Nurse or Baker is basically what you will see with these characters. They have the same dialog options, hiring costs, etc.

I do plan to add "flavor" dialog options with backstory, but that's for a later update, when I know what the backstories are going to be.

I can't upgrade anything.  When I try to use a stone axe to upgrade a block all that happens is it shows the up arrow but it doesnt swing.  Just trying to upgrade a frame and I have plenty of wood.  Playing in a21.1.  The only mods I have are score for a211, npc core, raider gurlz friendly, npc civilians, murkey dew, and rain collector.  I downloaded everything today to make sure they are all current versions.

Any idea what could be causing this?

edit: up arrow only appears if the block is damage.  Nothing at all happens if the block is not.

Edited by DrunkZombie (see edit history)