Game stops working randomly and sometimes I get a blue screen (not always)

As the title says, I'm getting contstant crashes on my game.

Also, I got like six blue screens, all around these errors:
  • Somenthing like "irql less than equal..." didnt got the full error message.
  • "Page fault in non page area."
  • "Attempted write to read only memory."

This is my log file:
https://pastebin.com/j5uepHZe

Here's another one (I got a blue screen on this one):
https://pastebin.com/WU8CBb40

Additional context:
  • I installed the game yesterday.
  • I don't have a single mod installed and didn't modify any file.
  • My drivers are up to date.
  • Tried with full screen and non full screen, same problems.
  • Played with the graphics a little bit, every setting is turned off at the moment.
  • Already validated the files throught steam, same results.
  • This is the only game that gives me problems, I play Terraria, Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, Project Zomboid and Valheim, and none of those throw me some kind of error like the ones I'm experiencing right now.

Those errors are related to memory; could be from swapped memory, RAM, or both.

You can run a memory test overnight to check your RAM.

For the swapfile memory;

1: Run CHKDSK on the disk that holds your swapfile to check for errors in the disk.

2: Check that there is enough free space on the disk. (like at least 30 - 50 GB free)

3: Check that the swapfile is set to be automatically managed by Windows.

Also, since the crashes can cause file system corruption, you should run

these commands from an elevated command prompt: (run as administrator)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and

SFC /scannow

If errors are found, run the commands again until you do not get errors.

14 hours ago, IAmHavingABadDay said:

This is the only game that gives me problems, I play Terraria, Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, Project Zomboid and Valheim, and none of those throw me some kind of error like the ones I'm experiencing right now.

None of those of CPU-intensive Fully 3D Voxel games that require a lot of work from the CPU, RAM, and accessing the disk. You're comparing apples to pomegranates.

Blue screen error indicates a system issue. Usually drivers, but could be a failing PSU also. It doesn't crash for other games because they aren't drawing anywhere near the same amount of system resources 7 Days does.

Your hardware is basically what I use for min-spec testing, though I replaced the 650 with a 770 due to frying the power interface on the 650. If your PSU is as old as the rest of your hardware, it is almost certainly at the end of its life.

21 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Those errors are related to memory; could be from swapped memory, RAM, or both.

You can run a memory test overnight to check your RAM.

For the swapfile memory;

1: Run CHKDSK on the disk that holds your swapfile to check for errors in the disk.

2: Check that there is enough free space on the disk. (like at least 30 - 50 GB free)

3: Check that the swapfile is set to be automatically managed by Windows.

Also, since the crashes can cause file system corruption, you should run

these commands from an elevated command prompt: (run as administrator)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and

SFC /scannow

If errors are found, run the commands again until you do not get errors.

Hey! first of all thanks for taking your time and giving me a detailed response. Now that I have mentioned that let's get down to business 😛
Did the first one, crashes or random blue screen.
I've more than 1 TB of memory, so there's plenty of free space in my disk.
And the third one, yes I checked if windows manages the swap file and it does. Also changed the swap file between 4 GB, 8 GB and 16 GB, none of that helped.

Now with the last bit, did the commands and still having troubles. After doing "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth", and then "SFC /scannow" doesn't show any errores., (did it more than once thought).

21 hours ago, Fox said:

I was just going to say run a Memtest86 to check your ram as that's often the issue when it comes to that stuff, but Beelzybub beat me to it.

Hey! thanks for giving me a toll to test it out!
Tried the tool and man it took some time, almost 6 hours 😅 It passed the test with flying colors.
And here's the test results https://pastebin.com/PnhiAiDN

Okay, it seems as if your memory is in good shape. Let's see if it might be video driver related. Download DDU from here: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.6.4 (guru3d.com).  Install it then run it while in safe mode as administrator. This will completely remove all traces of your video drivers. Then grab the latest drivers directly from Nvidias website.

If a clean install of video drivers does not help, then my next guess is to stress test your cpu and check out your power supply. You can use Prime95 to stress your cpu. I'm not sure what you can use to check your power supply. I always have a second power supply laying around so I usually will swap one out. Let us know how things go.

34 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Can you clarify this response?

Also, are you running any Asus software?

Yes!, sorry if I wasn't clear.
What I mean with "Did the first one...", I was refering to the next line: 1: Run CHKDSK on the disk that holds your swapfile to check for errors in the disk.
I did that but still getting random crashes or BSoD :classic_sad:

And no, I don't run any asus software.

3 hours ago, IAmHavingABadDay said:

Yes!, sorry if I wasn't clear.
What I mean with "Did the first one...", I was refering to the next line: 1: Run CHKDSK on the disk that holds your swapfile to check for errors in the disk.
I did that but still getting random crashes or BSoD :classic_sad:

And no, I don't run any asus software.

I think the question is what results you got from running CHKDSK.  Your first response made it sounds like you got a blue screen from running the command but this second reply suggests you didn't and you just meant you got a blue screen in the game again.  Did you read the results of CHKDSK?  If so, what were they?  The results would show if there were any issues with the drive itself.

6 hours ago, IAmHavingABadDay said:

Also changed the swap file between 4 GB, 8 GB and 16 GB, none of that helped.

If it is still set to one of these, be sure to change it back to system managed.  You should *not* manually set a value for the pagefile.

Definitely try removing the graphics drivers and installing new ones directly from the manufacturer (Windows Update only installs generic drivers that aren't going to be very good for playing games).  You can also see about updating drivers for your chipset.

6 hours ago, IAmHavingABadDay said:

I've more than 1 TB of memory, so there's plenty of free space in my disk.

This may be your total disk space but that may be across more than one hard drive.  Your pagefile would be on your C drive by default and many systems have a small C drive.  Your game may also be saving to a smaller drive without enough space.  Double check free space on all drives on your computer (you can ignore any drive listed as Recovery or some similar name).

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

I think the question is what results you got from running CHKDSK.  Your first response made it sounds like you got a blue screen from running the command but this second reply suggests you didn't and you just meant you got a blue screen in the game again.  Did you read the results of CHKDSK?  If so, what were they?  The results would show if there were any issues with the drive itself.

If it is still set to one of these, be sure to change it back to system managed.  You should *not* manually set a value for the pagefile.

Definitely try removing the graphics drivers and installing new ones directly from the manufacturer (Windows Update only installs generic drivers that aren't going to be very good for playing games).  You can also see about updating drivers for your chipset.

This may be your total disk space but that may be across more than one hard drive.  Your pagefile would be on your C drive by default and many systems have a small C drive.  Your game may also be saving to a smaller drive without enough space.  Double check free space on all drives on your computer (you can ignore any drive listed as Recovery or some similar name).

Hey!, thanks for taking your time to answer 😀

Let's go by steps:

1. Yes, I run the commands and it said it didn't found any problems.
  2. Yes, I already did that! was the first thing I did after changing the pages values. Now is set to as it was before.
  3. I don't know how to check the total memory with a tool that tells me 100% what's inside but here's a picture of disk managment if it helps in any way (it's in spanish).
    DiskM.png
Edited by IAmHavingABadDay (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, IAmHavingABadDay said:

Hey!, thanks for taking your time to answer 😀

Let's go by steps:

1. Yes, I run the commands and it said it didn't found any problems.
  2. Yes, I already did that! was the first thing I did after changing the pages values. Now is set to as it was before.
  3. I don't know how to check the total memory with a tool that tells me 100% what's inside but here's a picture of disk managment if it helps in any way (it's in spanish).
    DiskM.png

That works.  There is enough space on both C and D.  Hopefully drivers will help.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting the same issues as well. I've scanned the ram, updated drivers, cleaned up etc.

Seems like nothing helps. 

I had the same problems playing some other highly demanding games or multitasking with some resource hungry apps.

No idea what else can be done to fix this.

18 minutes ago, Blasphemous said:

As in Power Supply Unit? That would be an interesting diagnosis.

Been there, done that a few times. Usually if the CPU is crashing under load, it's because the PSU isn't able to supply the necessary power. PSU's degrade over time. The longest I've had one last is about a decade.

This is a 2019 machine, though I admit it's seen heavy usage.

Guess I won't be able to just borrow a PSU from somewhere to see if it's indeed the cause, I'll just buy one.

I was surprised that the BSOD error was different practically every time, I would have expected either a single error or a small subset of errors, but instead it was all over the place.

Failing PSU might explain why it's so random.

Thanks for the hint.

PS.

Today's bluescreen not only took the entire save file for my current game of 7d2d but also my NTUSER.DAT, crippling the OS to the point I can't even get into safe mode and rebuild the user profile. Using CMD and a basic cd & dir command trip through my system drive, shows me that a bunch of folders in the vicinity of $user/appdata got corrupted as well to the point of no recovery.

Luckily I have a full disk image barely a month old.

Man, these BSODs take no prisoners.

Edited by Blasphemous (see edit history)

Yeah, sometimes you just get a bad egg.  I had a nice Corsair 850 Gold die after only a year and a half. Then it's replacement only lasted about 8 months. I switched brands, and went with an MSI MPG A850GF. 
My previous PSU was an OCZ Fatal1ty 750W that lasted about a decade, and then was replaced under FirePower with a similar unit, but the 24-pin connector plug was completely different so it's useless, and they were being a pain to work with in getting one. Had to run to Microcenter and grab something, so I got the Corsair.

I checked, this PSU is a SilentumPC Supremo FM2 Gold, rated at 750W.

I guess I'd have to sum up individual components' power rating and see if at peak they reach that value.

This thing is supposed to have a 5-year manufacturer's warranty and it was bought in May 2019 so yeah, might still get lucky.

Any recommendations for a good PSU with similar parameters?

Also, coincidentally, my professional work revolves around energy efficiency measurements of electronic equipment and in my lab I got all the power measurement devices I need. I could check this equipment there though it's strictly forbidden to bring unapproved, 3rd party devices into the lab space and I'd need to bring the whole tower, connect the power meter and play 7d2d until BSOD. At work. Instead of actual work. Tsk.

It's just that buying a new PSU when I'm not 100% sure this one is faulty is not my preferred way to fix the issue.

There are online tutorials for testing power supplies using a voltmeter. It sounds like you know your way around electrical testing so google how to test a power supply using a multimeter and hopefully you will have your answer as to whether or not it is your power supply. If not, you could buy the cheapest 750w power supply as a 'tester' just to see if you can play the game with a different power supply. If it turns out that you can play fine with the cheap power supply, then and only then would I invest in a gold or platinum rated power supply. I usually keep a few cheap power supplies to use for testing as I am not good with a multimeter.