What do you think of the fixes that idizorr's "Void Gags" mod does?

Survager

Hi!
Here's what idizor's "Void Gags" mod does, and it's something that I think should definitely be fixed in the game by the developers:
- Move the right-clicked item to the top of the crafting queue.
- Use helmet light mod by default when pressing F. Instead of weapon light mod or laser pointer mod.
- New items to repair are always placed to the top of the crafting queue.
- Arrows and bolts make noise and attract enemies. Can wake sleeping zombies.
- Thrown grenades rolling on the ground attract zombies in the same way like a thrown rock. Can wake sleeping zombies.
- In case of distant explosion zombies will go and check the explosion location, not the player location.
- Digging with a shovel or pickaxe works through grass/plants.

What do you think?

Link to the modification "Void Gags" from idizor: Nexus Mods

2 hours ago, Survager said:

- Move the right-clicked item to the top of the crafting queue.   I like the way this game handles the inventory management. Makes you prioritize what gets done first, Really don't want a shortcut.
- Use helmet light mod by default when pressing F. Instead of weapon light mod or laser pointer mod.   Sounds good
- New items to repair are always placed to the top of the crafting queue.  See answer to # 1
- Arrows and bolts make noise and attract enemies. Can wake sleeping zombies.  Should be a thing, If you miss they should wake up, Also think mthat the body falling right next to another should wake also
- Thrown grenades rolling on the ground attract zombies in the same way like a thrown rock. Can wake sleeping zombies.  Great idea
- In case of distant explosion zombies will go and check the explosion location, not the player location.  Agree
- Digging with a shovel or pickaxe works through grass/plants.  Ehhh, not really an issue. I just clear one spot and dig down anyways then over

What do you think?

Link to the modification "Void Gags" from idizor: Nexus Mods

I have had sleepers waking up when i missed the shot with the bow/crossbow, not too often but it happened. Also this would need a major rework of the sleeper mechanic. If you are outside of their radius, you can let mines explode, use a grenade and they won´t wake up 10m away from you if you aren´t in their radius. But an arrow should wake them up? That would make the whole sleeper mechanic look even more riddiculous then now.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Ananais said:

Helmet light always being the default for F I would use as a standalone.

If you have a headlamp and a flashlight mounted on a weapon, then pressing F in the vanilla version turns on the underbarrel flashlight.

22 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I have had sleepers waking up when i missed the shot with the bow/crossbow, not too often but it happened.

This is because you were very close to the zombies and they just heard the sound of a shot that a crossbow or bow makes, this is a slightly different situation.

22 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Also this would need a major rework of the sleeper mechanic. If you are outside of their radius, you can let mines explode, use a grenade and they won´t wake up 10m away from you if you aren´t in their radius. But an arrow should wake them up? That would make the whole sleeper mechanic look even more riddiculous then now.

In the modification, an arrow or a crossbow bolt will wake up the zombies, even if the player is not in their radius. The main condition is for zombies to appear in the world.
This looks much more logical than what is in the vanilla version of the game, and does not require a complete overhaul of sleeping zombies.

Can't you press F again to cycle over to your headlamp? I thought this was possible but I'll have to check. Honestly, though you only need either or so if you have a headlamp just remove the light mod from your gun or vice versa. I guess the same could be true if the headlamp was prioritized instead of the weapon light so I'd be perfectly happy if TFP changed that priority. It wouldn't hurt anything and help those who are bothered by the current setup.

Giving the ability to switch items in the crafting queue is fantastic.

Making grenades attract zombies like rocks is cool.

Making repairs auto top priority in the crafting queue is awesome.

Making the source of noise be the impact for everything is preferable-- not just explosions. If I shoot a normal arrow and it hits a wall the zombies should run to the wall and not to where I was when I shot the arrow. This is extra true for explosions, of course, so I'd say this mod is a good start.

Sounds like some great QOL changes! It would be great to see these things in the default version!!

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Can't you press F again to cycle over to your headlamp?

Long press F opens a dial menu for your choices when available. Taking out a weapon flashlight is good and well, but has some caveats.. you might not have a replacement mod for the damage buff, and then there's the laser dot sight which operates on the same button.

The long press is fine, but it's about as fast (and somewhat easier) just to swap to a "modless" weapon to toggle headlamp.

EDIT: I used 'F' as per Roland, but I'm not actually sure of the keybinds - my F is "use" ..

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Roland said:

Can't you press F again to cycle over to your headlamp? I thought this was possible but I'll have to check. Honestly, though you only need either or so if you have a headlamp just remove the light mod from your gun or vice versa. I guess the same could be true if the headlamp was prioritized instead of the weapon light so I'd be perfectly happy if TFP changed that priority. It wouldn't hurt anything and help those who are bothered by the current setup.

Tapping F to cycle through lights does ring a bell, but does not seem to work anymore. May be that it was removed when the radial menu was added?

I would prefer the headlight be default due more to things like the night vision and laser sight than weapon lights though, night vision always seems to take priority over the headlamp, and laser sight over the headlamp and night vision.

What would be nice is if the last item toggled via the radial menu would then set its self to toggle via tapping F, until another item is toggled from the radial menu again, rather than whatever the hard coded priority list is. Actually, I have been meaning to look into .dll modding, may be time to take a look and see how far my limited c# will get me with something like this...