What do you think of this new PC build

bobrpggamer

CORSAIR 7000D AIRFLOW Full-Tower ATX PC Case

MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Wifi LGA 1700 Intel Z790
Corsair Vengeance 64gb (2 X 32gb) 288-Pin PC Ram Ddr5 6000 (Pc5 48000)
Intel Core I9-13900 Desktop Processor
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC

MSI - Mpg A850g PCIe 5.0, 80 Gold Full Modular Gaming PSU, 12vhpwr Cable, 4080 4070 ATX 3.0 Compatible, 850w Power

Good, bad, let me know.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

I would advise something other than Intel/Nvidia personally. Team red will get you more usable power for your dollar.
Otherwise looks like choices I would make. Though I would go with a much cheaper case. I mentioned that already in your other thread though. That case is really designed for extreme overclocking with CPU and GPU waterblocks using two 360 radiators. If you aren't planning that, then you can save a good bit of cash.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

I would advise something other than Intel/Nvidia personally. Team red will get you more usable power for your dollar.
Otherwise looks like choices I would make. Though I would go with a much cheaper case. I mentioned that already in your other thread though. That case is really designed for extreme overclocking with CPU and GPU waterblocks using two 360 radiators. If you aren't planning that, then you can save a good bit of cash.

Well the reason for the case is that it has six 3.5" drive bays + three 2.5" bays. The lower 5000 has two 3.5" drive bays, or I would buy that one. like I said before, a NAS would be better for 7 hard drives, but the cost of a good NAS is twice that of the 7000 Airflow. I wish there was more support in full tower drive bays, but there is not very much anymore. Lian Li had some nice full towers back in the early 2010s, but now they are going more for form than function with full all around glass nonsense, so my choices are limited these days if I want 6 SATA drives.

If you can point me to a case with six or more 3.5" drive bays, please do. The main thing I have against the 7000, is that it weights over 40 pounds without hardware. Another thing is that I will be using a Noctua NH-U12S and six140mm 2000rpm fans in the 7000 and no watercooling, this should keep temps down for a waterless cooling scheme. I am not ready yet for liquid of any kind including AIO in my case.

Also I changed it to:

Spoiler

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790
Intel Core i7-13700

MSI - Mpg A850g PCIe 5.0, 80 Gold Full Modular Gaming PSU, 12vhpwr Cable, 4080 4070 ATX 3.0 Compatible, 850w Power

This will probably change because I will not be able to afford this until September.

A Z790 Motherboard is only usefull if you are going to do overclocking. Wich you can´t with a non "K" CPU. Either get a 13700K or go for a cheaper motherboard if you don´t wanna overclock. I am guessing H670 would be enough for non overclocking but i am not fully up to date with 13th Gen yet, so research is needed if you deceide for another motherboard.

64GB or RAM is overkill for a gaming PC. Unless you gonna do some video editing aswell i think 32GB would be more than enough for quite a while.

For the PSU i would suggest to take a look on seasonic focus. 12 years of warranty. Well known brand that basically never dissapointed afaik.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

A Z790 Motherboard is only usefull if you are going to do overclocking. Wich you can´t with a non "K" CPU. Either get a 13700K or go for a cheaper motherboard if you don´t wanna overclock. I am guessing H670 would be enough for non overclocking but i am not fully up to date with 13th Gen yet, so research is needed if you deceide for another motherboard.

64GB or RAM is overkill for a gaming PC. Unless you gonna do some video editing aswell i think 32GB would be more than enough for quite a while.

For the PSU i would suggest to take a look on seasonic focus. 12 years of warranty. Well known brand that basically never dissapointed afaik.

I do some 3D graphics work and I had a scene in the viewport and it was like a slideshow, so more memory for 3D graphics, for the most part.

I already own the power supply and It should be enough for the RTX 4070ti. It has the new (should be unnecessary) PCI express cable to hook it up without a cable adapter. I got the MSI power supply due to a review for the best power supply for the RTX 4070ti and it being the best power supply at the moment but as more venders add the ridiculous PCI express cable. I am sure at that point I will probably would regret the MSI power supply. I like the Evga power supplies, but again I went with a good review for the MSI.

I will look into other socket LGA 1700s, I have only seen Z790 and Z690 but I want to get a solid motherboard at around $300 and no more than about $300. I do not want Micro ATX or a budget board, so I will be doing a lot of research until September.

I just looked at other chipsets and I will stick with Z790, the board I am looking at now is https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144567?Item=N82E16813144567

It has features that the best $600.00 to $1000.00 range Z790s have but without more bells and whistles that I do not need.

I just remembered another reason for 64GB ram. I do not want to replace the ram on the board and 64GB is future proof. I am also going to be using a Noctua NH-U12S, which may cover some of the ram banks and there is no way I want to unseat my heatsink just to put upgraded ram, or extra modules.

On 4/2/2023 at 12:44 PM, bobrpggamer said:

Well the reason for the case is that it has six 3.5" drive bays + three 2.5" bays. The lower 5000 has two 3.5" drive bays, or I would buy that one. like I said before, a NAS would be better for 7 hard drives, but the cost of a good NAS is twice that of the 7000 Airflow. I wish there was more support in full tower drive bays, but there is not very much anymore. Lian Li had some nice full towers back in the early 2010s, but now they are going more for form than function with full all around glass nonsense, so my choices are limited these days if I want 6 SATA drives.

If you can point me to a case with six or more 3.5" drive bays, please do. The main thing I have against the 7000, is that it weights over 40 pounds without hardware. Another thing is that I will be using a Noctua NH-U12S and six140mm 2000rpm fans in the 7000 and no watercooling, this should keep temps down for a waterless cooling scheme. I am not ready yet for liquid of any kind including AIO in my case.

Also I changed it to:

Reveal hidden contents

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790
Intel Core i7-13700

This will probably change because I will not be able to afford this until September.

I got a fractal design meshify 2, it's a big-mamma-sized case that probably weighs as much as her, but my temps are ice chill and I can fit whatever I want in it lol. It's really good at dust control too, and is a joy to build in (can tear the whole case apart in a minute or two). By far my favorite case. Btw I got the one without the glass panel, all metal. 

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

I got a fractal design meshify 2, it's a big-mamma-sized case that probably weighs as much as her, but my temps are ice chill and I can fit whatever I want in it lol. It's really good at dust control too, and is a joy to build in (can tear the whole case apart in a minute or two). By far my favorite case.

Ive seen those but its still the 3.5 bay thing with me. It used to be that server full tower cases had at least six 3.5 and at least three 5.25 bays, but not anymore. I can barley find a case with one 5.25, and most have probably two or three 3.5 drive bays.

Here is most of my drives save for the two M.2 and two 1tb SSDs have in the other PC right now that I don't need:

Spoiler

1pUG3ja.jpg

I have them in three 4bay external enclosures and one single 1 bay enclosure. Which is ridiculously slow seeing how this PC only does USB 2.0 and the enclosures are USB 3.0.

Yeah, I am a bit of a pack rat.

1 hour ago, bobrpggamer said:

Ive seen those but its still the 3.5 bay thing with me. It used to be that server full tower cases had at least six 3.5 and at least three 5.25 bays, but not anymore. I can barley find a case with one 5.25, and most have probably two or three 3.5 drive bays.

Here is most of my drives save for the two M.2 and two 1tb SSDs have in the other PC right now that I don't need:

Hide contents

1pUG3ja.jpg

I have them in three 4bay external enclosures and one single 1 bay enclosure. Which is ridiculously slow seeing how this PC only does USB 2.0 and the enclosures are USB 3.0.

Yeah, I am a bit of a pack rat.

Did you look at the XL? I think it can do 20 hard drives and 6 SSD's 

And holy pack rat 😅

38 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Did you look at the XL? I think it can do 20 hard drives and 6 SSD's 

And holy pack rat 😅

Yeah that case has six 3.5 bays and two 2.5 bays. Kind of unbelievable I missed this when I looked at a fractal case. I still like the look of the corsair a little better. I think Its the abstract front thing I did not like too much on the meshify. I like a clean modern minimalist look, yeah its weird I know when talking about a computer case. Just think that that type of talk would have gotten you bullied in school 3-4 decades ago, but now its the hip thing to be into. I do miss the old days, at least the late 90s and early 2000s before everyone and their mother has a Twitch or YouTube channel. Makes it less an unexplored hobby, that only a few are into. Or maybe I am talking about the 80s, I don't know.

This is 2010 and beyond:

Spoiler

DWp51VW.jpg

Who comes up with this? Does it make your bed and serve you breakfast, how often do I need to change the lithium crystals to keep it running.

Anyway thank you for pointing out the case, I may change my mind by may, who knows.

39 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

Yeah that case has six 3.5 bays and two 2.5 bays. Kind of unbelievable I missed this when I looked at a fractal case. I still like the look of the corsair a little better. I think Its the abstract front thing I did not like too much on the meshify. I like a clean modern minimalist look, yeah its weird I know when talking about a computer case. Just think that that type of talk would have gotten you bullied in school 3-4 decades ago, but now its the hip thing to be into. I do miss the old days, at least the late 90s and early 2000s before everyone and their mother has a Twitch or YouTube channel. Makes it less an unexplored hobby, that only a few are into. Or maybe I am talking about the 80s, I don't know.

This is 2010 and beyond:

Hide contents

DWp51VW.jpg

Who comes up with this? Does it make your bed and serve you breakfast, how often do I need to change the lithium crystals to keep it running.

Anyway thank you for pointing out the case, I may change my mind by may, who knows.

Rofl! Yeah tbh that's a reason I went with this case, all metal just a straight-up case. The mesh on the front has some design to it, but it's nothing flashy. And it does work well too, both dust and airflow (literally no difference with it on/off). Mobo temps stay in the 20s-30s and I couldn't get my GPU/CPU temps above 80 even if I tried to. The mesh is dark, so it doesn't stick out as much as it does in the pictures.

38 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

How big is your storage on those large drives? Might be not too expensive to switch to smaller faster SSD's.

You can see the TBs in the photo.

Most are 6TB and 3TB, one 4TB and the SSDs are 240GB I think. Windows is a partitioned 240 split with games. My two M.2s are 500GB an my 2 VMware SSDs are 1TB each which are in the dead PC right now.

If I had the money I would transfer them to 16 or 18TB drives and save some physical space. I bout a 16TB drive from Newegg last month and it was a brick so I sent it back. I guess I should get used to RMAing in future as Newegg has very, very seldom sold me garbage.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 12:43 PM, Jugginator said:

Rofl! Yeah tbh that's a reason I went with this case, all metal just a straight-up case. The mesh on the front has some design to it, but it's nothing flashy. And it does work well too, both dust and airflow (literally no difference with it on/off). Mobo temps stay in the 20s-30s and I couldn't get my GPU/CPU temps above 80 even if I tried to. The mesh is dark, so it doesn't stick out as much as it does in the pictures.

I decided to get the Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL due to the weight and the shipping problems people are having with the Corsair 7000. It seem that lots of people are getting their case with broken latches and hinges on the tempered glass. I love the case, but I do not want to haul the thing to UPS to RMA it for a replacement, and the thing is just too heavy. I will be doing all the heavy lifting myself and I am not strong enough to haul it around the house.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:43 AM, fragtzack said:

Intel 

AMD Ryzen

And don't just switch to any drives, need to NVMe drives. If your motherboard doesn't support NVMe, toss the motherboard also. 

Honestly, without NVMe your biggest bottleneck affecting performance will be those drives.

INTEL I am afraid. I have looked into the AMD Ryzen 9 7900X and it is not that great compared to the Intel 13th gen i7. Also the AM5 motherboard selections are not that great. The ASrock LGA 1700 motherboard I like has 8 SATA and 4 M.2 4th gen. and it has 2 PCI Express 1.0 slots I need for my sound card and NIC.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162086?Item=N82E16813162086

I will have 4 M.2 Drives

1. 1TB M.2 NVMe 4th gen   (Windows)

2. 2TB M.2 NVMe 4th gen  (Games)

3. 500 GB M.2 NVMe 3rd gen  (Downloads)

4. 500 GB M.2 NVMe 3rd gen  (Temp)

That and the 8 SATA Ports is the reason I like this board.

I would be a little concerned about the CPU cooling if you live in a hot place (ie where i live the ambient temp is mostly over 25C and that 12S would struggle under long / heavy use).

On 4/24/2023 at 4:05 PM, bobrpggamer said:

INTEL I am afraid. I have looked into the AMD Ryzen 9 7900X and it is not that great compared to the Intel 13th gen i7. Also the AM5 motherboard selections are not that great. The ASrock LGA 1700 motherboard I like has 8 SATA and 4 M.2 4th gen. and it has 2 PCI Express 1.0 slots I need for my sound card and NIC.

Performance of the i13700 and Ryzen 7900 are very similar, AMD is better at 'work' (productivity) tasks and uses 1/3 less power.

The AMD platform will also be upgradeable to the next 2 generations where the Intel will not (assuming AMD holds to their plan, which they did with the previous generations).

Personally I would spend the extra ~US$20 and get a Ryzen 7800x3D for the ~10% better gaming perfomance.

If future proofing is a concern I would also wonder if the 4070Ti's 12Gb of VRAM was going to be enough in a couple of years (as 8GB is not enough in some new games, ie 'stuttering' issues).

The AMD 7900 xt is cheaper, has same perfomance but has 20GB VRAM.

But it comes down to if DLSS and Ray Tracing on the 4070Ti are enough of a draw over the extra VRAM, slightly lower price and better GPU software of the 7900xt.

3 hours ago, FinkPloyd said:

But it comes down to if DLSS and Ray Tracing....

AMD is actually doing pretty good there as well. With my R9-3900X and 6800XT I can play Cyberpunk with FSR and RayTracing on, and still get near 144FPS with ultra video options. If I enable the new Overdrive it tanks down into the 60FPS range. Shouldn't be long before AMD has a driver update to fix that though.

With AMD you get more overall power and options. Also I wouldn't go for the 7800x3D, I would just get the 7900x. It's $20 cheaper than the X3D chip, has more cores without the gimmics, and a higher clock rate. The x3D isn't going to perform as well on a demanding multi-core workload like this game provides, and those chipsets are still going through growing pains. The x3D's are currently burning out just using XMP/EEXPO because of some issues with controllers on the chip burning out.

4 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

AMD is actually doing pretty good there as well. With my R9-3900X and 6800XT I can play Cyberpunk with FSR and RayTracing on, and still get near 144FPS with ultra video options. If I enable the new Overdrive it tanks down into the 60FPS range. Shouldn't be long before AMD has a driver update to fix that though.

With AMD you get more overall power and options. Also I wouldn't go for the 7800x3D, I would just get the 7900x. It's $20 cheaper than the X3D chip, has more cores without the gimmics, and a higher clock rate. The x3D isn't going to perform as well on a demanding multi-core workload like this game provides, and those chipsets are still going through growing pains. The x3D's are currently burning out just using XMP/EEXPO because of some issues with controllers on the chip burning out.

I read that AMD has confirmed that it can happen on all 7000er CPUs and is currently distributing a bios fix to mainboard partners. 

By the way, I upgraded my ryzen 5 2600x to ryzen 7 5800x3d a few days ago and FPS increased from 66 to over 90 because of this. Not a comment to anything you said, I mention this if someone is wondering about what to expect from such a change.

5 minutes ago, meganoth said:

By the way, I upgraded my ryzen 5 2600x to ryzen 7 5800x3d a few days ago and FPS increased from 66 to over 90 because of this. Not a comment to anything you said, I mention this if someone is wondering about what to expect from such a change.

Yeah, I did a comparison a while back on different CPU and RAM speeds between my i7-3930k stock, overclocked, and the R9 3900x that I replaced it with. Had the same GPU throughout, and it was a measly 1060 6GB. 

Here is my updated virtual cart in newegg

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL

Intel Core i7-13700K

ASRock Z790 PG RIPTIDE Intel LGA1700 ATX Mainboard

G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000

1TB WD BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 PCI-Express 4.0

2TB WD BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 PCI-Express 4.0

I would be a little concerned about the CPU cooling if you live in a hot place (ie where i live the ambient temp is mostly over 25C and that 12S would struggle under long / heavy use).

I live in the San Francisco "east" bay area, in the summer last year it was in the 110s for almost a week.

As far as cooling, With my luck I could not imagine putting AIO water cooling system in my case. If money was not an object, yeah maybe, but I am FAR too paranoid to put any liquid based hardware in my case.

I will have 2 120mm Noctua (push/pull) 3000rpm heavy duty fans on the heatsink. I will also have 5 heavy duty Noctu 140Mmm 2000rpm case fans, and in a large case that will have strict cable management and that has lots of room for airflow.

Performance of the i13700 and Ryzen 7900 are very similar, AMD is better at 'work' (productivity) tasks and uses 1/3 less power.

The AMD platform will also be upgradeable to the next 2 generations where the Intel will not (assuming AMD holds to their plan, which they did with the previous generations).

I have seen the benchmarks for the Ryzen 7900 and the Intel Core i7-13700K and they are almost even in some benchmarks.

I am really an Intel guy since the Core2Duo. Not that I do not like AMD. I had a AMD K6-2 which I hated because it was so below the Pentium II in gaming, that was the only AMD CPU I did not like. later I had a 800mhz Duron and "as the story would go" without listing all of them - AMD up until the Core2Duo. I like the new Pcore and Ecore things as well, I know it is a gimmick, but it seems like a good way to up the clock rate in demanding software, I guess it just ups the Pcore and leaves the Ecore to just running apps like winamp and AVS and so on. I mean the i9 can reach 6Ghz through turbo boost so that is amazing.

f future proofing is a concern I would also wonder if the 4070Ti's 12Gb of VRAM was going to be enough in a couple of years (as 8GB is not enough in some new games, ie 'stuttering' issues).

I know this is an issue, but I think it is based on 2K and 4K. I do everything including my TV/Monitor at 1080p. My GTX 1080 still held its own in most games, so the 12GB should be good for a while and if not I will have a PCIe 5.0 x16 slot for later upgrades.

Every time I think about this, which will hopefully be in November if I am lucky. I spend countless hours screwing around in NewEgg and other hardware sites and it just makes me more frustrated and I have been blessed (cursed) with the patients of a rabid dog. Thing was, I was at a great point in my A20.6 current game, but I cannot get into it until I get this new PC. The PC I was using is dead or a permanent coma.

9 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

I have seen the benchmarks for the Ryzen 7900 and the Intel Core i7-13700K and they are almost even in some benchmarks.

I will say if you're looking at sites like Userbenchmark, you're getting completely horrible information. Going off of benchmarks alone is kind of a red herring. I would look into the 3D cache tech AMD has, I'm almost certain that would be better for productivity. But not 100% sure. I just know that Intel is behind AMD in some areas. If you go productivity, definitely go with NVIDIA for the GPU though.

And yeah, AIO's aren't really that great, they mostly are cosmetic/aesthetics. If you're going to go water cooling IMO it's a complete loop or just go air. And anyone that says AIO's will never leak is lying or not a person of misfortune lol. My rig is all air cooled and rarely does the CPU get much above 70c under full load

tensor cores

10 hours ago, Jugginator said:

I will say if you're looking at sites like Userbenchmark, you're getting completely horrible information. Going off of benchmarks alone is kind of a red herring. I would look into the 3D cache tech AMD has, I'm almost certain that would be better for productivity. But not 100% sure. I just know that Intel is behind AMD in some areas. If you go productivity, definitely go with NVIDIA for the GPU though.

And yeah, AIO's aren't really that great, they mostly are cosmetic/aesthetics. If you're going to go water cooling IMO it's a complete loop or just go air. And anyone that says AIO's will never leak is lying or not a person of misfortune lol. My rig is all air cooled and rarely does the CPU get much above 70c under full load

My new GPU is a Gigabyte RTX 4070ti, and along with the MSI 850 watt Power Supply that has the cable for the new 40 series cards, I already own.

The only way for a non-geek (like me) to find out the performance is to look at reviews that have benchmarks in gaming and other real world tests like Blender, Vray, and Handbrake etc. I mean I get the basics like the VRAM Frame Buffer, Filtering and Ambient occlusion, but if you were to ask me how Tensor and/or Cuda Cores really work, I would not know. Other than the more the better of course.

I do not pay much attention to places like UserBenchmark, but Toms Hardware and AND tech and similar, do have reputable reviews and benchmarks in gaming and a massive amount of other productivity software like Winrar or 7zip and whatever. I run 3Dmark on every upgrade, but I just do it for kicks and realize the 3D Mark score does not tell a whole lot about performance. For that you need to run your games and/or use the demanding software you bought the new upgrade for in the first place, and if it made some difference then that would be the most important thing to truly gauge if the upgrade was worth it or not.

20 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Every time I think about this, which will hopefully be in November if I am lucky. I spend countless hours screwing around in NewEgg and other hardware sites and it just makes me more frustrated and I have been blessed (cursed) with the patients of a rabid dog.

I recommend the youtube channels 'Hardware Unboxed' (CPU / GPU benchmarks) and 'Gamers Nexus' (case, cooling).

Hardware Unboxed benchmarks with up to 50 games when comparing GPUs / CPUs, in addition to standard productivity tests.

Gamers Nexus does very in-depth testing of hardware, especially cases, coolers and faults (ie an excelent series on nVidia 40 series cable issues and one on  GPU transient power spikes).

11 hours ago, Jugginator said:

I would look into the 3D cache tech AMD has, I'm almost certain that would be better for productivity. But not 100% sure. I just know that Intel is behind AMD in some areas.

Not according to Hardware Unboxed testing.

Note the 7950x3D is slower due to the system incorrectly 'picking' which CCD to use (as only one CCD chip has the 'extra' 3D cache).

19 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Ye I would not recommend an AIO, I lost a system due to one springing a leak (2 months outside of warranty!), and honestly it wasn't really any better than an air cooler in the same price bracket.

If I ever had the money, I may go for a full water cooling solution, but it would be for fun/the experience of doing it rather than anything else, and only if I could afford to replace it.

On the HDD front, have you considered building a NAS for the mechanical storage drives instead of hooking everything up to the one system? It is so much easier to find cheap rack cases with 3.5" slots than it is a desktop cases, or you can just use an old tower and stick it away out of sight.

Speeds are mostly limited by the mechanical disk r/w speeds rather than network unless you are running SAS drives or something, but if you have been dealing with USB2 transfer speeds, probably not an issue.

2 hours ago, Ananais said:

Ye I would not recommend an AIO, I lost a system due to one springing a leak (2 months outside of warranty!), and honestly it wasn't really any better than an air cooler in the same price bracket.

If I ever had the money, I may go for a full water cooling solution, but it would be for fun/the experience of doing it rather than anything else, and only if I could afford to replace it.

Exactly like I feel on the water cooling. Man do some of those PCs with water cooling look pretty. With a lot less viewing obstruction to actually see your motherboard without that massive heatsink and fan setup in the way.

On the HDD front, have you considered building a NAS for the mechanical storage drives instead of hooking everything up to the one system? It is so much easier to find cheap rack cases with 3.5" slots than it is a desktop cases, or you can just use an old tower and stick it away out of sight.

Speeds are mostly limited by the mechanical disk r/w speeds rather than network unless you are running SAS drives or something, but if you have been dealing with USB2 transfer speeds, probably not an issue.

I have three USB 3.x four bay and one USB 3.x single bay external enclosure that are holding about 10 3.5" SATA drives. I would love a NAS but they are over $1000.00 because I need it to be at least a 8 bay preferably a 10 bay or 2 six bays and that is way over what I can spend at this point. I still need to replace my gaming PC.

One four bay on a USB 3.x hub is running at USB 2.0 speeds which I think was about 40 Megabytes a second where the other USB 3.0 four bay is running 80-120 Megabytes a second. I need to have a direct connect to that external enclosure with 1 compatible cable and get rid that hub.  I know that hub is the problem.

As of a month ago I have no USB 3.x ports at all, just USB 2. On my old first gen i7 860 on a 1156 motherboard. Which believe it or not this PC is still holding its own, other than gaming. It is still reliable after about 5 years of off and on light use. I fall back on it when my gaming PCs die or I need to do something that requires it.

The optical bluray internal drive on this PC can rip UHD 4k Bluray disks. Which was just plain luck because this optical bluray drive is one of a handful that can rip these disks. Even Bluray XL drives will not show the disk you put in the drive. This is obviously the next form of HDCP that has changed with the sale of UHD blurays. The drive is a HL-DT-ST BD-RE (BH16NS40) and I could sell it for twice what I paid for it because of this.

Oh, ye I was not thinking a pre built NAS, those are very pricey.

You can pick up rack cases fairly cheap though so long as you do not need hot swap bays, something like this. Many of them you can also buy additional cages for more drives if needed. You don't actually need to keep them in a rack either which I know puts a lot of people off as racks are not cheap, just need to make sure they fit a normal ATX PSU and they are otherwise more or less like any other case, though I have used slotted angle bar as a DIY rack in the past, and just stuck some rubber feet on them and sat them on top of one another as well, does not look great but you can stick them away out of sight.

You can then throw in whatever components you happen to have laying around, add in a PCI to SATA card or two if more ports are needed, install a NAS OS, I use Open Media Vault as it will run on pretty much anything and is free, and you are pretty much done.

To be fair, it is not for everyone as it takes a little bit of building and setting up, but as you already have the HDD's, you have the most expensive parts already, so it is worth keeping in mind if nothing else.