Broken bow mechanics

Reporter

On 3/16/2023 at 8:32 AM, Reporter said:

I have 5000 hours in this game since A1 so don't mess with me dude with your little 1000 hour

I might be a little late to this party, but after reading your entire backlog I'm getting a massive whiff of the Dunning-Kruger Effect all over you.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I might be a little late to this party, but after reading your entire backlog I'm getting a massive whiff of the Dunning-Kruger Effect all over you.

Nice, I never knew there was an official name for that effect.  Especially like how it applies in two different scenarios 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:59 PM, theFlu said:

Just a minor gripe, but you're giving away more than half of your damage like that; might as well just waddle over and slap them across the cheeks at that point.

I disagree with you. Shoot them in the chest, if they fall over run up and club them to death. Shoot him in the chest a second time, they almost always fall over and you run up and club them in the head. 

This is always how I do it starting out.

On 3/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, ElDudorino said:

Of course there's no arrow "loaded" when you pick up a bow. The point however is that 1) There would be no lost time grabbing an arrow with your main hand while grabbing the bow with your off-hand the way you do in literally every other game with bows and 2) The game is inconsistent because you *do* grab the bow "loaded" if it had been loaded when you switched it.

Because the behavior of the bow is inconsistent and it's not even obvious whether it's "armed" when you equip it, you end up in a weird situation where you can try to fire and your character just... doesn't.

I wouldn't mind nearly as much if your character would grab the arrow and start drawing the string from a single mouse press but if I'm expecting to fire and instead my dude doesn't do it because of this weird non-reason it's really frustrating.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure what you describe only happens when you have multiple arrow types in your inventory. If you only have one type of arrow on hand then the bow does load with that arrow and you can fire. If there are two or more choices the game doesn't auto load one of them at random. It makes you choose which arrow type you want to use before it lets you fire and I believe those are the times I remember being stuck not able to fire anything because there was no arrow in my bow when I picked it up and I had open the radial menu to manually select either stone arrows or iron arrows.

They could have it default to the worst or best type you have on hand but that might anger someone else...

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure what you describe only happens when you have multiple arrow types in your inventory. If you only have one type of arrow on hand then the bow does load with that arrow and you can fire. If there are two or more choices the game doesn't auto load one of them at random. It makes you choose which arrow type you want to use before it lets you fire and I believe those are the times I remember being stuck not able to fire anything because there was no arrow in my bow when I picked it up and I had open the radial menu to manually select either stone arrows or iron arrows.

They could have it default to the worst or best type you have on hand but that might anger someone else...

It's mostly been an early-game concern for me so I feel like it's independent of how many arrow types you have in your inventory? I admit I am slightly second-guessing myself now, though. At any rate I don't have to enter the ammo type menu in these cases, as it automatically loads in an arrow instead of drawing the string when I hold down the mouse button.

5 hours ago, Roland said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure what you describe only happens when you have multiple arrow types in your inventory. If you only have one type of arrow on hand then the bow does load with that arrow and you can fire.

Maybe A21 things..?

In A20, the ammo type for every weapon is always selected. By default every bow uses stone arrows, you'll have to manually switch to any other type.

Bows load the next of the selected type if you have any after shooting, crossbows or other firearms don't. Unless you try to fire again while empty, which causes a reload on everything.

If you don't have more of the right type for a bow, you'll hear an empty trigger click, you don't get a type change automatically.

I guess the difference is due to the double nature of the bow loading, you ready an arrow first, and then you manually draw it.

Other weapons you ready and then fire with a button_down on mouse1. Automatics start firing on the reload press if you wait long enough, semiautomatics will wait for a new click for the first shot after loading.

For bows the readying is automatic, but for a while it blocks the next draw like a semiautomatic reload. You'll need to wait a bit for the new click.

I had zero problems with the Starter bow.  The Starter bow has a heavy arc / drop, you just have to practise.  And if you are shooting any bow into "melee" I would expect model clipping... you shouldn't be in melee with a bow anyways.  I think Dunning-Kruger Effect is an accurate explanation with OP.

Just grin and bear it until you get a low quality iron crossbow or Wooden Bow drop ...

15 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I disagree with you. Shoot them in the chest, if they fall over run up and club them to death.

Yeh, it's just a minor gripe, feel free to disagree :) Your way is effective, just not efficient. If they fall from a bodyshot, a headshot will kill them; if you miss, just take another in most cases. If you have to walk over anyway to finish with a club, the arrow is pretty redundant.