About Feral Sense. Should he be found?

Yukkie

Can I ask about Feral Sense?

A friend of mine enjoyed playing stealth with Feral Sense.
He was on the roof of a store at night, hiding and fending off a horde of zombies, and the zombies were hitting a street tree by the fence.
When that tree fell, the sound somehow found him and he was attacked.

I think it is strange that he would be discovered by any sound other than the one made by the player.

Should I file a bug report? Should I think this is inevitable?

I don't know if he should have been noticed or not. I suspect the tree was being attacked because they had already perceived your friend. I'm not sure why, but I've seen Z's attack "tall" things (trees, light poles) when there's a height difference for them to overcome. If you're ever flying around in GodMode trying to test something or whatever, Z's will be knocking tall stuff down below you.

I suspect Feral Sense is not bugged, but I do wish Feral Sense had some kind of sensitivity setting. I found it greatly extended the range of zombie perception such that stealth became very difficult. I could still get stealth kills against roaming zombies, but they were always very long range. They were going to come at you from around corners.

I don't tend to turn on Feral Sense mostly because I don't have options that would make it appealing. It would be nice:

• To be able to adjust the range.
  • To be able to adjust the sensitivity.
  • To be able to associate it with certain conditions, like "fog" or "the day of horde night", "every Nth day"
  • To be able to detect only characters is certain situations, like: "over level 99", "carrying raw meat", "using an auger", "named Roland."

1 hour ago, zztong said:

I'm not sure why, but I've seen Z's attack "tall" things

Destroy area mode; when the zeds can't get to you they attack a somewhat random block at face height in the area. Especially in the woods, the only blocks that high are trees - and even in cities the areas are often quite flat, with a light post being the only 2m high thing to pick in range.

For feral sense adjustments, I'd like some too; the only way to make stealth actually usable with it on, is just to perk it to max and still mostly try at night time. 5/5 in the night, they'll hear you and run right on top of you, but won't attack unless you bump into them. Kinda weird, turns into slow speed chases as they'll hear you move.

4 hours ago, theFlu said:

5/5 in the night, they'll hear you and run right on top of you, but won't attack unless you bump into them. Kinda weird, turns into slow speed chases as they'll hear you move.

Damn this sounds familiar. Allot like continuing to sneak around a camp or in a building at max sneak in that game, what was it's name again, that they keep saying stealth in this game is not? Oh well, the name eludes me.

12 hours ago, zztong said:

I don't tend to turn on Feral Sense mostly because I don't have options that would make it appealing. It would be nice:

I thought of another. It would be cool to be able to pick certain zombies to have it another other zombies not. Or maybe say just irradiated zombies had it, etc.

Thanks for the response.
Here's his video, 1:15 minutes in you can see the tree fall and the stealth meter go up, but for some reason he is noticed.

You can see the zombie is coming towards him.

This was back in the A20 days.
Is it the same now?

12 hours ago, Yukkie said:

Here's his video, 1:15 minutes in you can see the tree fall and the stealth meter go up

I have about 15 questions, but not one of the answers wouldn't make that a bug. Looks like the tree sound is tied to the player, for some reason.

If you can reproduce that somehow on the latest patch, might be worth a bug report. Might even be worth one if not.

17 hours ago, Yukkie said:

Here's his video, 1:15 minutes in you can see the tree fall and the stealth meter go up, but for some reason he is noticed.

Huh. I don't have an explanation for why the stealth meter went up when the tree fell.

As for why they came for him, I forgot about feral sense and there's part of the video missing around 0:40. I'm wondering if they saw him before 0:40 after he was already on the bus stop, then went after the tree in frustration, then finally after the bus stop. That's a guess.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

Player also stood up as the horde was running past their position, so they were not stealth at all at that moment of time.  At that point, you notice them start attacking the tree.  So early level, probably no points in stealth perks, standing up while the horde is running past their position.....

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

On 3/3/2023 at 8:39 AM, zztong said:

• To be able to adjust the range.
  • To be able to adjust the sensitivity.
  • To be able to associate it with certain conditions, like "fog" or "the day of horde night", "every Nth day"
  • To be able to detect only characters is certain situations, like: "over level 99", "carrying raw meat", "using an auger", "named Roland."

So, in theory, you could make it only detect level 100+ Rolands using an augur to harvest meat from a bear corpse.  Handy.

36 minutes ago, Maharin said:

So, in theory, you could make it only detect level 100+ Rolands using an augur to harvest meat from a bear corpse.  Handy.

Yes, that milkshake would bring all the zombies to the yard.