Non-Square RWG Maps?

zztong

I sometimes play a game where the goal is that I travel a long ways to a safe place, as if the zombie outbreak was localized and I need to travel a long distance to reach what remains of civilization. With 15k maps, walking from corner to opposite corner, I try to cross 5 maps. That means I have to copy my character from world to world, but that's no big deal.

I've sometimes wondered if RWG might be allowed to make maps of different dimensions. For instance, if 10x10 is 100 square kilometers, could we have it make maps that are 100x1 kilometers? I'm sure there are performance limits, but if the square area stays the same, wouldn't the size of the world files still be the same?

Maybe I'm the only person in the world who wants a game where they walk a long ways, but I thought I'd mention it here.

That could make for an interesting map and modding options.  You could have a journey from one end to the other with stuff to do (quests) along the way to progress the journey.  Not a typical game for 7D2D, but could be a fun option.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

That could make for an interesting map and modding options.  You could have a journey from one end to the other with stuff to do (quests) along the way to progress the journey.  Not a typical game for 7D2D, but could be a fun option.

I like the travel scenario because you can play it to completion over a long day or a weekend. As an extra complication you can put a time limit on the journey and win/lose if you make it in time. I don't tend to do quests when playing like that. POIs will have things you need, but you're not making progress on the map when you're in them. You have to strike a balance.

You could do a 10k map and walk along the perimeter staying within 1 km of the edge. That would give you a bit less than a 40k trek. There was a spiral map I saw posted from one of the old map generator tools that created a path that led you around the perimeter but then spiraled inward with a gap in between each arm. That would add up to around 110km to travel but probably looked weird. Maybe up the mist  to obscure distant views.

Bigger maps in general would be cool, although I haven't played in a while so I don't know how big they are these days.

I do recall there being technical issues the further you are from the origin, like animations being off or something of that sort.

I'd probably never utilize a huge map, but it's fun to explore and even be a little nomadic.

I like this idea. One of my fav starts was spawning into the wasteland and it was nearly 2k back to a forest to "semi" safety. It was by far the most intense first 30min of gameplay I have had playing 7d2d. I always play dead is dead, so respawns aren't optional.

Here is an 8k map I just made using Teragon. The idea is to make it to the big city with the same goal in mind as the original post.

The red X in the bottom left is the Spawn point. The big cross over the white portion are two bridges.

If anyone is interested I can put this in a dropbox

Capture.PNG

On 3/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, warmer said:

I like this idea. One of my fav starts was spawning into the wasteland and it was nearly 2k back to a forest to "semi" safety. It was by far the most intense first 30min of gameplay I have had playing 7d2d. I always play dead is dead, so respawns aren't optional.

Yes. Many people who play on servers with their friends hate it when they start 4km away from everyone else and so they race across the map. That's the kind of thing I watch on Twitch. (It beats the heck out of watching people manage their inventory.)

One of my first intentional travel adventures turned out to be a map where the last half of the map was wasteland. You don't level on these travel missions like you normally would, so you're still pretty low level at the end and with basic equipment. The wasteland is a really cool part of any journey. Very challenging.

It occurred to me with the suggestion above to have a "spiral map." If I could paint a spiral using a biome. Or, maybe I could arrange for a spiral made of tall mountains. Oh! Oh! Spiral of radiation zone boundaries.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)