(A20) Wild West Mod - 7 Days in the Wild West

arramus

jHOww3y.jpg

Here are two download links for the Wild West Mod - 7 Days in the Wild West
Select the link which matches your preference.

1. Moddb Version (Stable and will only change periodically for updates or critical fixes)

https://www.moddb.com/games/7-days-to-die/downloads/wildwestmod

(A21) version can be found here.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/34328-a21-wild-west-mod/

2. Github Version (Development build and will change more often for testing purposes)
https://github.com/Tallman-Brad/Wild-West-Mod

Click on the green Code tab and select Download Zip.
For Github Desktop users, there is an option to synch.

Posts to this thread will typically just be updates because the Developers do not frequent this forum. Please ask questions, share bugs, or offer feedback directly at the Tallman Brad Gameplay Community. This community also has a channel to find a 'posse' to party up with.
https://discord.com/invite/vc2XmnNWB8

And here is an optional Mod

Oak's Wild West Mod Guards (with just the guard feature) customised from the Oak's Pets and Guards Mod.

These can be found in Balloon Drops and at the Traders.

Qt6FirR.jpg

This additional Mod can be downloaded here.

https://github.com/arramus/Oaks-Wild-West-Mod-Guards

---------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT
The Wild West Mod rolls back time to around the Mid 19th Century 'Wild West America' (+/- 20 years).
It attempts to remove features which are not time appropriate and introduce additional features to expand and complement the overall experience. A few examples include:

- Only the 'Old West' type tiling system will appear when using the RWG, with age appropriate POIs.
- Asphalt has been replaced with gravel throughout the whole world.
- Car assets have been overwritten with wagons. This continues to allow wrenching.
- Some items have been renamed such as electrics to connectors and given an appropriate icon.
- Weapons have been rolled back with customization, and a return of the Hunting Rifle from earlier 7D2D builds.
- Age appropriate food items.
- Custom lighting, traps, vending machines, and other features.
- Hooked up for Telrics Horses, and an Oakraven Steam Horse.

The Mod Pack is bundled with both a Guide, with a more detailed overview, and a Custom World called 'New Frontier' that began as a totally flat RWG, just to add in the Old West tiling system. It was then built up with valleys, mountain ranges, an extinct looking volcanic crater, a populated river, and all the POIs the Wild West could ever want.

Here are a few images to show some of the highlights.

A multitude of custom POIs to Quest
hsEjbNo.jpg

Treasures
hYVgv7j.jpg

Transportation (shared by Oakraven)
ukUWXFN.jpg

X1b7rEQ.jpg

And Telric
YQFv3GT.jpg

Revolvers
jAzNAaG.jpg

Tomahawks (and A19 sustainable farming)
HxVv6IM.jpg

There are a lot more surprises to be found inside and that's enough spoilers for now.

CREDITS
Individual assets and know-how are provided by (From Z - A):

Zipcore - MapToolz to assist with custom world creation.
Zeebark - Multiple custom POI submissions.
Telric - Kind permission to update Telrics Horses to A20 and add a patch to match the Wild West Mod features.
Tallman Brad - Created and administered a hub for the concept to come alive, game direction planning, developing xml, POI, and the New Frontier Custom World.
Syco54645 - A19 Farming For A20. Brings back seedlings upon harvesting to replace the A20 system of non sustainable negative returns.
Stallionsden - Assisted with community relations, technical advice on a number of topics, and submitted a Ranch POI.
sphereii - SphereII Legacy Distant Terrain to remove Asphalt in RWG Worlds.
Oakraven - Wild West Lighting, replacement blocks, balloons, weapons, storage, and an absolute abundance more in all capacities. Always goes far and beyond to assist overhaul type Mods.
MPLogue - Custom POI submissions, game direction planning, and additional custom block integration.
Mistress Medusa - Custom POI submissions, game direction planning, assessment and evaluation, quality control support, and general consultation at every stage.
Magejosh - Kindly did the NMM mod groundwork template support with environmental features that crossed over to the Wild West Mod.
LazMan - Eliminate the Horde Mod with Wild West updates.
KhaineGB - Kind use of lockable and expanded inventory mod.
JaxTeller718 - Expanded Wandering Hordes.
Haidr'Gna - Invisible Dye mod to assist with hiding inappropriate armor.
Guppycur - Provided a hub for development and sharing, the Guppy Vulture, as well as technical know-how where appropriate.
Darkstardragon - Template support with expansion features, and quality control consultation.
closer_ex - Random Main Menu Background.
Chaz916Gaming - Old West POI pack.
bdubyah - Template code advice and support.
arramus - Assisted with xml compilation, mod integration, and general support for returning close to the mid 19th Century.

And anyone else who has chipped in with advice and support.

Edited by arramus
Additional (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Ganeshakw said:

Looks exciting.

I've seen you've been very active with a great variety of mods on the forum, and give decent feedback where it's needed. The bulk of the 7D2D dynamics are there, but what has been removed has been replaced with alternatives which keep a nice balance and bring in a different layer of game-play. I think you'll find some fun in the Wild West Mod.

Pushed a small update to both versions. There was 1 missing decorative Prefab which has been added to the Prefabs folder and all is resolved. It was not critical but would show a warning.

It was also an opportunity to add Zipcore to the Credits for MapToolz as it was a very helpful tool in the creation of 'New Frontier' world.

Someone asked where 'New Frontier' world was located, and if their friends would need to download it. 'New Frontier' world is already bundled into the Wild West Mod and located in the 1-WildWestMod / Prefabs / CustomWorldPOIs folder. In Single Player games, it will appear in the world choice area just like Navezgane. Servers will typically add it in their own Worlds area and often push it to players as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just sharing a YouTube vid for players who prefer to get an idea of what they're getting into, along with installation instruction.
It was created by Tallman Brad and shows a play through with 3 of the developers.

A small update for the Github Version for now as it is experimental:

1. Fish Trap
The Fish Trap is unlocked with Living off the Land Skill 1 and allows players to craft a Fish Trap.
It can be placed anywhere, but requires bait. The bait can only be added if a player is very wet.
Being submerged in water up to the waist is the optimal method for this.
Getting wet triggers a player buff which allows the bait to be added.

The Trap goes through a sequence of Empty Fish Trap > Baited Fish Trap > Lootable Fish Trap.
Once the cycle is completed, it requires baiting again.

The Lootable Fish Trap contains a variety of items including Crawfish, Okra, Pinto Beans, Leather Boots ^^, and other goodies.

Here is a small update for both the Github and Moddb versions.

Players will see a small quest challenge note on their toolbelt as they spawn into the game.
If accepted, it will ask the player to complete 10 activities split into 3 connected parts.
The parts and number of stages per part are listed below.

Homestead Challenge. A series of 10 stages split into 3 parts:
- Pt. 1 - Home is where the hearth is (Cabin crafting in 3 stages)
- Pt. 2 - From tiny seeds (Farm crafting in 4 stages)
- Pt. 3 - Hay neigh hay (Stable crafting in 3 stages)

The end result fills a small homestead with some unique Wild West Mod features and acts as a mini tutorial to accustom player to the new environment.

These images show what can be achieved based on the instructions and rewards.
cuWyQQF.jpg

It will allow players to settle into the first landing areas on the New Frontier World before venturing to more resourceful areas.

okAtLwG.jpg

Edited by arramus (see edit history)

Good day Arramus

This is a fun mod and I see alot of work went into it. Really enjoying 7D2D again for something new.

But in my playing the mod, there are times that it will go into a lagging state or maybe I should say staggering state ... just not as smooth as before. (It comes and goes, not all the time)

I'm 99% sure it's Not my system. Running a 9700 CPU _ 3060ti card _ 64ram and 3 SSD's.

Just wanted to give you a head's up and maybe you could maybe look into it on your end. 

Thank You for a Fun Mod. The Old Gamer 😌

Just Thinking, I downloaded it from ... Mod DB and I see here there are 2 version and there it only had 1 to download, not sure which version I got. "Stable or other"

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

1 hour ago, gpcstargate said:

Good day Arramus

This is a fun mod and I see alot of work went into it. Really enjoying 7D2D again for something new.

But in my playing the mod, there are times that it will go into a lagging state or maybe I should say staggering state ... just not as smooth as before. (It comes and goes, not all the time)

I'm 99% sure it's Not my system. Running a 9700 CPU _ 3060ti card _ 64ram and 3 SSD's.

Just wanted to give you a head's up and maybe you could maybe look into it on your end. 

Thank You for a Fun Mod. The Old Gamer 😌

Just Thinking, I downloaded it from ... Mod DB and I see here there are 2 version and there it only had 1 to download, not sure which version I got. "Stable or other"

The Moddb version is the stable one. The Github version is often slightly different with bug patches, updates, and rebalance testing before it's added to stable.

Up to now there haven't been any reports about rendering issues. There are occasions where there is a small delay, and this is when one of the UMA entities (like the Snufkin zombies types) are spawning in. The only time I've noticed any consistent staggering state is when I'm riding the T2 horse with the speed increasing sugar cubes mod through a new town where the chunk has never been visited. In SP this hasn't happened but it can be noticable on a dedicated server and generally the network trying to synchronise everything and catch up.

It's hard to diagnose what is happening in your own instance without understanding if it's related to being near a specific POI, area of the World, or certain entity spawning.
We'll just have to keep monitoring comments and look for any commonality.

Good day Arramus

Thank you for the quick response and I'll keep you up to date if it keeps happening or gets worse. Like I said, it only happens Off and On.

I did a flyby of the map and it is done very well as far as I'm Concern. 

Floppysword ... did a video of it and that got me interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZw9YT4RNU&t=2024s

Thank You again, The Old Gamer 😌

PS: Any Plans to try to add Jen😋 into game. Just Wondering if it would be possible or to late?

Do the POI include anything that isn't available in vanilla that would prevent them from being used separate from the mod?  I don't really like overhaul mods, but I'd love some more good old west POI to give variety to the old west towns in my maps.

1 hour ago, gpcstargate said:

Thank You again, The Old Gamer 😌

PS: Any Plans to try to add Jen😋 into game. Just Wondering if it would be possible or to late?

It is always possible. It was an early decision by the Tallman Brad Gaming Community to go with just Hugh and Joel, but Rekt does also make a showing.

1 minute ago, Riamus said:

Do the POI include anything that isn't available in vanilla that would prevent them from being used separate from the mod?  I don't really like overhaul mods, but I'd love some more good old west POI to give variety to the old west towns in my maps.

The POI do include custom assets that will prevent them from being use.

However, there are a fair number which originally come from the Old West Migration Mod and were customised for the Wild West Mod.
These add Old West POIs for Vanilla game play.
It is possible that this will give you that extra variety you are looking for.

Good day Arramus,

There might be an issue with finding Chicks for the chicken coop quest. I tried for several days of play and have a bunch of feathers and eggs. But had to go the menu to get a couple of chicks ... I've got alot of hours in Wild West and have not found any chicks to this point of game. 

Just thought I would let you know and also ... I fix the janky issue with game by turning down my setting from Ultra to a lower setting.

Have a Great Week and Take Care. The Old Gamer 😌

On 3/15/2023 at 3:27 AM, gpcstargate said:

Good day Arramus,

There might be an issue with finding Chicks for the chicken coop quest. I tried for several days of play and have a bunch of feathers and eggs. But had to go the menu to get a couple of chicks ... I've got alot of hours in Wild West and have not found any chicks to this point of game. 

Just thought I would let you know and also ... I fix the janky issue with game by turning down my setting from Ultra to a lower setting.

Have a Great Week and Take Care. The Old Gamer 😌

Can you confirm there are no other mods in the background, and if so what they are? This has not been reported yet for the Wild West Mod, the Oakraven Forest Collection/Modpack, or other modpacks that bundled it in. The Chicken Coops mod was released over a year ago and has been very consistent.

22 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

Good day Arramus,

Just a quick look at my build in Wild West:  But Not done yet and trying to stay with western theme.

And I will never Complain about people who build Barns again, that was a job and my first for 7Days to Die.

That is a Homestead if I ever saw one. Can I share this image in the Tallman Brad Gameplay Discord? It will inspire others to complete the Homestead Challenge and then continue onward.

Good day Arramus,

Here are the additional mods that I put into game after starting it and seeing what there was already in the game.

They showed No conflict with anything already there and the KHA20 SpawnsAndClaims mod, just adds more claim blocks and I normally like to have 3 And can increase the spawn rate of the zombies "This one I just put in a couple days ago and I had done a ton of bird nest and not finding any chicks in any, I'm having No problem with Bee's.

If you want to share any photos with others no problem ... I LOVE to Build. ..... I have more of the layout if you want, just let me know where to place them ... here or somewhere else. (IS there a Discord site?)

Desktop Screenshot 2023.03.15 - 15.41.34.01 (2).png

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2023.03.14 - 17.11.04.72.png

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2023.03.14 - 16.58.57.02.png

Yep, those mods look painless and nothing seems to change the birds' nest.

In the 1-WildWestMod loot.xml the probably of receiveing chicks can be increased in this area:

<lootgroup name="groupBirdNest02" count="1,2">
    <item name="foodEgg" loot_prob_template="medLow"/>
    <item name="resourceFeather" count="1,5" loot_prob_template="high"/>
    <item name="CaughtChick" loot_prob_template="veryLow"/>
</lootgroup>

Changing CaughtChick from veryLow to high will at least let you see if they are set up to appear.

The Tallman Brad Gaming Community Discord is here. They'll appreciate the images for sure.

13 hours ago, arramus said:

Can you confirm there are no other mods in the background, and if so what they are? This has not been reported yet for the Wild West Mod, the Oakraven Forest Collection/Modpack, or other modpacks that bundled it in. The Chicken Coops mod was released over a year ago and has been very consistent.

Started new with the latest Github release, and no problems finding these chickens.

Maybe he changed the loot settings, and that might reduced the find of them.

12 hours ago, Canute said:

Started new with the latest Github release, and no problems finding these chickens.

Maybe he changed the loot settings, and that might reduced the find of them.

NOPE, I did not make any changes to game files ... other than adding my normal few mods that I use.

But I will try Arramus suggestion and see what happens. (I just changed it to "med" and see if that make a difference for now ... I'll go to "high" if nothing happens and let you know)

Have a Great day, The Old Gamer 😌

EDIT:

Ok ... I changed setting to "med" and got my first chicks in game today ... 2 out of 15-20 nests, so I think we are good.

Also, I posted a couple picture on the "The Tallman Brad Gaming Community Discord" ...  Enjoy your day. 

Edited by gpcstargate
Update (see edit history)

Where do you can change the chances for the Bee queen ?
Didn't found an entry at the loot.xml
Birds nest will refill allways, so you allways have enough to loot.

But tree stumps arn't that common, and the Bee queen is very rare.
I know it exist, because i allready  found one at a previously try, but none at the current.

Ahh found it at the blocks.xml
<append xpath="/blocks/block[@name='treeMaster']" >
        <drop event="Destroy" name="QueenBee" prob=".05" count="1"/>
    </append>

Edit:
Some feedback:

- Silencer, when you allready add steampunk vehicles and junk spitter, you should re-add the silencer too.
Special since the 1.silencer is made 1892
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silencer_(firearms)

- You should remove writeable storage, or adjust the recipe to be inline with the Wild west writeable storage.
- Unless you have further plans with the different chicken parts, they should be merged into chicken meat.

- The time that the tamed brown horse need break is far to long ! 🙂

Edited by Canute (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Canute said:

Where do you can change the chances for the Bee queen ?
Didn't found an entry at the loot.xml
Birds nest will refill allways, so you allways have enough to loot.

But tree stumps arn't that common, and the Bee queen is very rare.
I know it exist, because i allready  found one at a previously try, but none at the current.

Ahh found it at the blocks.xml
<append xpath="/blocks/block[@name='treeMaster']" >
        <drop event="Destroy" name="QueenBee" prob=".05" count="1"/>
    </append>

Edit:
Some feedback:

- Silencer, when you allready add steampunk vehicles and junk spitter, you should re-add the silencer too.
Special since the 1.silencer is made 1892
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silencer_(firearms)

- You should remove writeable storage, or adjust the recipe to be inline with the Wild west writeable storage.
- Unless you have further plans with the different chicken parts, they should be merged into chicken meat.

- The time that the tamed brown horse need break is far to long ! 🙂

Some feedback on your useful observations and feedback.

- Silencer

The silencer is found in loot. The production date is too borderline for recipes, but finding a 'prototype' was considered acceptable.

- Writeable Storage Crate.

Made of wood and weak against acid and Score fire mod. Wild West version has the iron ingot requirement and is made of metal and strong against such attacks. This explains the recipe differentiation.

- Domesticated chickens are part of Oakraven's Collection and have their recipes, even though they are currently very limited. Feedback is best added to the Oakraven Forest Collection thread on this incorporated mod.

- Horses cannot be tamed in the New Frontier World and the patch effectively removes the taming capabilities with Note features removed for players using RWG and following best practice guide notes. Best to post in Telrics's thread about the horse taming in the Telric's horses thread as it is used without any changes to the core files for players who would like to experience everything it has to offer.

Thank you for the constructive feedback and I hope the responses addressed them to some extent.

5 hours ago, arramus said:

- Writeable Storage Crate.

Made of wood and weak against acid and Score fire mod. Wild West version has the iron ingot requirement and is made of metal and strong against such attacks. This explains the recipe differentiation.

Ok,
but then maybe rename them abit. Like

Wooden Storage Crate

Iron Plated Storage Crate (Wild West style)
to reflect their difference.
And maybe add to the description about their resistance.

5 hours ago, arramus said:

- Silencer

The silencer is found in loot. The production date is too borderline for recipes, but finding a 'prototype' was considered acceptable.

Thats fine thats not all things arn't craftable.
Just though since i don't found a recipe, but allready found some schematics from other "prototype" stuff i though it isn't ingame.

Edit:

Dang, i allready wanted to suggest for a Raft/boat vehicle.

But then i found out you can ride pretty fast underwater with the horse.
No need to ride all around these lake/river anymore.
image.png.615de0a4eef96b8fc3a5ec8c7df4f57a.png

Edited by Canute (see edit history)

Eliminate the Horde (Part 2)
It is possible to add a tracking for zombies you have to kill ?
I just tried it and i can't find the last one.
The quest spawn next to a POI, i even cleared that POI, but no luck.
Or maybe change it to kill any zombie, not specific ones.

This part of the Mod was kindly shared by Laz Man. While it has been customised to match the Wild West Mod, the overall concept is staying as close to the original as possible.

It sounds like the random placement of the Quest Marker was not very helpful on that occasion. That's unfortunate, but the original creator understood that such things may happen from time to time and ensured this Challenge would be accessible again from Notes found in Loot. The same issue can happen with the Gunslinger Challenge if the spawn happens on a Mountain/Hillside. They can spawn inside the Mountain/Hillside and disappear for good. A safeguard was added to ensure they also spawn in the Wasteland to allow this Challenge to be completed.

Feel free to share such requests/feedback directly at the Tallman Brad Gameplay Community as these topics have been discussed and this thread is primarily for sharing updates. It's not really my place to comment on direct suggestions as it's a group decision. https://discord.com/invite/vc2XmnNWB8