teragon maps

crimson_binome

18 hours ago, spud42 said:

the reason roads take so long isthat they basically only use 1 thread. it skips from core to core but seems like only 1 core at a time.

press ctrl+shift+esc  then the performance tab then on CPU. i have a 5800X with 8 cores and 16 threads. you can watch the load when generating roads etc. the initial part of generating the maps uses multiple cores.

should have time this weekend to try a few more maps....trying to download height maps from tangram .

Well it been 48 hours and they are still generating. I have a i79700k so I have 8 cores as well and usually I can game and do the maps at the same time, but the last time I ran short of luck and ran out of memory (32GB) and the maps died so I have been waiting for one of the maps to complete before I start gaming again.

The longest of 20 maps was 8 hours even on a 12K map. so i did something wrong this time. All the setting are the same except towns and POIs which I like to change here and there. The heightmap (including eroding and rivers) was done previously and the only thing I am adding to the queue is water map, environment map, cities, POIs and roads, so the formula must be wrong on my end.

Maybe I should just do all the computation in one queue and one ini and not do heightmap separately and use an ini for just towns and roads.

Something kind of funny happened. The clock reset after 24 hours. I guess he never expected renders to take more than 24 hours.

I think multithreading is low on the list of things to update, as it seems to me that it would add a lot more and even change a lot more code.

Good thing is you can do almost anything even gaming while teragon is working in the background, as long as you have at least 32GB of memory.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

15 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

Downloaded your two maps, Bob. Many many thanks! They look like 'perfect' maps to me - I had hoped that they would give me some concrete direction toward making my own, but so far it's been limited to the addition of some patches of burnt forest in the 10k map. (I use 1x sulfur, 1x charcoal and 6x p. nitrate to make gunpowder The b. forest supplies the charcoal from the terrBurntForestGround, with sulfur coming from the terr_stone layer everywhere else.) 
On a more negative note, though - I have to express some disappointment with Teragon. KingGen is an almost perfect interface for the average map-maker, with Nitrogen not too far behind, but Teragon requires a skill-set - plus a time commitment - that's several frustrating levels above them both, and - I may be wrong here - but the number of people participating in this thread tells me I'm not the only one who thinks this way. My head hurts when confronted with the complexity of the "Expert" settings!  You guys are heroes here - and so is Brad with his video's - but I can only see an opportunity for a few folks - like Capt. Krunch - to create and provide maps for the rest of us. Making my own maps this way is probably over for me, and that's a pity. Thanks again, (and a bit of an apology for the small rant.)
pj

I am just a guy who has the time and patience for trial and error. If you forget about roads and erosion and rivers, just try 4K maps and find the heightmap you like. Then concentrate on environment and which style you prefer, the old splotch map or the new transition map. Then tackle the cities and pois and finally when you have the combination you like you can add roads later.

Another note is to only adjust the settings tallman brad has talked about. The Octaves? and Lacunarity? I do not change at all.

I cursed this program for two days straight, so I have had my problems with it. Its just that I have the time (no life to speak of) and patience to use lots of trial and error.

Its like early content creation with 3DS Max and the like, I started using it in 1999 before you had easy settings for photo realism and long before the physically accurate rendering software now days, it required lots and lots of long rendering trial and error for a beautiful render.

Now that I think about it, you should get an .ini from someone that has a map you like and that would be a far better reference point to start from. Then you could change a few setting here and there to play around with.

When I get a good all around map that does roads like it used to, I will upload my .ini.

8 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Here's another fun map to show the POI improvements.  4k map with max POI of 2500.  I'm sure we don't hit 2500 here, but it definitely shows that it's far easier to get POI now.

SuperPOI4k.png

Every time I get 1/100th of the amount of POIs you have here I get CTD. I surprised you you got a preview of this. If you have the time you should try making side roads just for kicks.

It happens like this for me. Wow, I got boatloads of POIs this time....CTD. Woah, I got boatloads of Cities this time....CTD. I gave up on that.

What are the settings other than amount?

You need the new test release to get this.  Just giving everyone a peek at it as I know many have been frustrated with POI and may have given up.  Once testing is complete, a new update will be available that you can use.  Probably within the next week or so.  Once it is updated, you'll get this kind of thing almost regardless of any settings other than max number.  Obviously, amount of water and steep terrain and cities and map size will limit the total number you can get on the map, but generally speaking, you can get something like this with any settings when you get the update.

39 minutes ago, Riamus said:

You need the new test release to get this.  Just giving everyone a peek at it as I know many have been frustrated with POI and may have given up.  Once testing is complete, a new update will be available that you can use.  Probably within the next week or so.  Once it is updated, you'll get this kind of thing almost regardless of any settings other than max number.  Obviously, amount of water and steep terrain and cities and map size will limit the total number you can get on the map, but generally speaking, you can get something like this with any settings when you get the update.

So you have the new release? Any date on when it is available?

Also, has the automatic roads feature been updated as well?

I really screwed things up somehow, as it is, one map is going to have completed roads after 192 hours, over a week.

One feature I would like to see is, the ability to merge a hand painted roadmap, like the one from MapToolz into the map and bake it in somehow as though it was generated exactly like the auto or manual maps get finished.

I do not understand why the splat.png is not editable, might as well be called splat.dat, the object of a .png is that it is a bitmap and can be edited like any other format like, .bmp, jpg, tga and so on.

52 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

I do not understand why the splat.png is not editable, might as well be called splat.dat, the object of a .png is that it is a bitmap and can be edited like any other format like, .bmp, jpg, tga and so on.

You should be able to open the splat file layers with a decent graphics/photo editor like Krita, GIMP, or Photoshop.  There should be Green, Blue, and Red layers, and you can edit the appropriate color layer.  If I remember correctly, Green was the secondary/gravel roads, and Red was the primary roads.

This map was done with the latest (2/14/23) CP 48.6 CP_All_inc_Vanilla lists.  For Create Towns I used Town count 15, min size 3, max size 40, flatness and altitude deviation both 80, and max altitude 120.  I did about 7 - 8 passes using a repeat loop for the Create Region POIs on my last map attempt.  Each loop I changed the flatness and altitude numbers. 

Too many bridges but otherwise a decently balanced city placement and a fair number of wilderness POIs.  But I am REALLY looking forward to the next update to Teragon and the much improved Wilderness POI generation!

DC_4Preview.jpg

10 minutes ago, Evil_Geoff said:

You should be able to open the splat file layers with a decent graphics/photo editor like Krita, GIMP, or Photoshop.  There should be Green, Blue, and Red layers, and you can edit the appropriate color layer.  If I remember correctly, Green was the secondary/gravel roads, and Red was the primary roads.

I did that and added the roadmap to terragon and processed it and I ended up with a map without biomes. I use MapToolz and I get roads with trees and boulders on them.

Red 256 for main roads and Green 256 for side roads.

10 minutes ago, Evil_Geoff said:

This map was done with the latest (2/14/23) CP 48.6 CP_All_inc_Vanilla lists.  For Create Towns I used Town count 15, min size 3, max size 40, flatness and altitude deviation both 80, and max altitude 120.  I did about 7 - 8 passes using a repeat loop for the Create Region POIs on my last map attempt.  Each loop I changed the flatness and altitude numbers. 

Too many bridges but otherwise a decently balanced city placement and a fair number of wilderness POIs.  But I am REALLY looking forward to the next update to Teragon and the much improved Wilderness POI generation!

DC_4Preview.jpg

The bridges are still buggy. I choose to not add them and make my own bridges in game. Other than that, the map looks cool. I may try the CP pack, but I am still OK with vanilla POIs so far (except the dungeon thing they added a while back - I hate that).

Like I said earlier, if you want all bridge remnants out of the finished map, you have to delete all bridge references from the prefabs.xml or you still get them in your final map.

1 hour ago, bobrpggamer said:

So you have the new release? Any date on when it is available?

Also, has the automatic roads feature been updated as well?

Testing versions are available through Discord.  It will be available whenever Pille feels it's been thoroughly tested and whether or not anything else will be added.  I'm assuming within the next week or so like I mentioned, but I don't know that for certain.  I just passed on the info for anyone who doesn't grab test versions from there.

No news on roads, but I'm sure they are higher priority item.  Could still be a while before we see anything there.

1 minute ago, Riamus said:

Testing versions are available through Discord.  It will be available whenever Pille feels it's been thoroughly tested and whether or not anything else will be added.  I'm assuming within the next week or so like I mentioned, but I don't know that for certain.  I just passed on the info for anyone who doesn't grab test versions from there.

No news on roads, but I'm sure they are higher priority item.  Could still be a while before we see anything there.

Thanks for the info. I would love to see more POIs pop up on a map without a CTD.

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

Here's another fun map to show the POI improvements.  4k map with max POI of 2500.  I'm sure we don't hit 2500 here, but it definitely shows that it's far easier to get POI now.

SuperPOI4k.png

Wow that lots of wilderness POIs but my UK map & square islands map still lack wilderness POIs & too many Old West town, I already max 1000 spawn none worked.

5 hours ago, Wolves Hero said:

Wow that lots of wilderness POIs but my UK map & square islands map still lack wilderness POIs & too many Old West town, I already max 1000 spawn none worked.

You might be able to get rid of old west towns by striking out the old west line the Town Property List with //

The default:

// town name; min tile count; max tile count;center:tile_type1,tile_type1,...;outskirt:tile_type1,tile_type2,...

// tile types -> commercial, countryresidential, countrytown, downtown, industrial, oldwest, residential, rural

//

//

regular_town;7;any;center:downtown,commercial,industrial;outskirt:rural,residential,countrytown

small_town;3;8;outskirt:residential,countrytown

oldwest_town;1;4;outskirt:oldwest

To:

// town name; min tile count; max tile count;center:tile_type1,tile_type1,...;outskirt:tile_type1,tile_type2,...

// tile types -> commercial, countryresidential, countrytown, downtown, industrial, oldwest, residential, rural

//

//

regular_town;7;any;center:downtown,commercial,industrial;outskirt:rural,residential,countrytown

//oldwest_town;1;4;outskirt:oldwest

Its worth a try, but may cause an error or CTD.

With POIs its all about the last 2 settings.

Flatness Threshhold

Altitude Deviation Threshold

You could have 25000 spawn limit and either get a CTD or the same as 300 spawn limit.

The best thing to do is to add 10 Create Region POIs with different last 2 setting (20 Flatness and 20 Altitude works best for me) to get as much as you can. I get around 50 this way and if I get to many its a CTD for some reason.

Thought I might take advantage of some "Group Therapy", as the previous pages here worked some wonders on my mental state, thanks to you good folks.
       I did have some measure of success today, after following Brad's Terrain and Big Cities vid, making perhaps a dozen various sized maps that look "ok".  I still have a few hurdles, though - one of which is, in spite of doing a 'desert - forest - forest - forest - burnt forest' selection in the Expert\Create Env. Biome Map section - I still get snow and wasteland areas showing in the map as well. How on earth do I create a three-biome map??? 
        Secondly - and this might help someone else - I was getting crashes too often, so I dug a bit, and first finding it only happened when using the 'CP48.6 All inc Vanilla.ini', and then found it only occurred when the 'Create Towns' command happened.  This calls the prefab lists, and prefabs file (I guess) and so, knowing I had ZZTong's tents prefab in the Mods folder - also the Waterland mod there - I considered there could be a conflict happening, as they both have their own Config folders containing biomes.xml and rgwmixer.xml files - and that just might clash with the same in the CP48.6 folder - and maybe Teragon, too, as it does its build. Anyway - I pulled both out, and the problem disappeared.
          A third issue is more of an annoyance, as I've always put lots of color dots along the margins between each biome in the biomes.png when manually creating a map. The effect is very natural-looking, and I'm glad to see it in Teragon: however - I think it only appears when using the default presets - The last map today was the 'giant cities', using the CP48.6 CP preset, and that came out as sharp-edged blob biomes, with no blending whatsoever: have I missed something? "Diffuse biomes transition' is selected where it occurs, but I might have missed it somewhere? Ideas?

Thanks as always,  😊

pj

1 hour ago, paulj_3 said:

Secondly - and this might help someone else - I was getting crashes too often, so I dug a bit, and first finding it only happened when using the 'CP48.6 All inc Vanilla.ini', and then found it only occurred when the 'Create Towns' command happened.  This calls the prefab lists, and prefabs file (I guess) and so, knowing I had ZZTong's tents prefab in the Mods folder - also the Waterland mod there - I considered there could be a conflict happening, as they both have their own Config folders containing biomes.xml and rgwmixer.xml files - and that just might clash with the same in the CP48.6 folder - and maybe Teragon, too, as it does its build. Anyway - I pulled both out, and the problem disappeared.

I don't really understand beyond the notion that there might be a conflict.

In my mind, there's always the potential for conflict between my modlet and the CompoPack, as everything in my modlet is also contributed to the CompoPack but the CP renames files to its standard making them look like different POIs. Or, in this case, the Decorations.

What really has me interested though is the crashes. Crashes would hopefully involve an exception, and exception would involve a log file entry, and the details of the stack trace in the log file could give us a clue as to what the game was trying to do when everything came crashing down around it.

Or, do you mean Teragon crashes? If so, I doubt it is a Decoration as Teragon should have nothing to do with those. Decorations are the only thing I modify in biomes.xml. At least that I remember.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Wolves Hero said:

4 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

You might be able to get rid of old west towns by striking out the old west line the Town Property List with //

The default:

//

//

oldwest_town;1;4;outskirt:oldwest

To:

//

//

//oldwest_town;1;4;outskirt:oldwest

Its worth a try, but may cause an error or CTD.

With POIs its all about the last 2 settings.

Flatness Threshhold

Altitude Deviation Threshold

You could have 25000 spawn limit and either get a CTD or the same as 300 spawn limit.

The best thing to do is to add 10 Create Region POIs with different last 2 setting (20 Flatness and 20 Altitude works best for me) to get as much as you can. I get around 50 this way and if I get to many its a CTD for some reason.

If you don't want old west, you can comment it out as described (yes, it works fine).  Or, if you like old west POI, but don't like small towns, you can adjust the min and max sizes on that same line (the 1 and 4).  The version that fixes POIs isn't released yet.  You'd need the test version from discord to try it.  Once you have the fix, you won't have issues with POI placement.  As you can see, there is some space around towns, but otherwise, they can appear pretty much anywhere as long as you altitude and flatness aren't less than maybe about 5, which would limit placement on steep terrain.

1 hour ago, paulj_3 said:

Thought I might take advantage of some "Group Therapy", as the previous pages here worked some wonders on my mental state, thanks to you good folks.
       I did have some measure of success today, after following Brad's Terrain and Big Cities vid, making perhaps a dozen various sized maps that look "ok".  I still have a few hurdles, though - one of which is, in spite of doing a 'desert - forest - forest - forest - burnt forest' selection in the Expert\Create Env. Biome Map section - I still get snow and wasteland areas showing in the map as well. How on earth do I create a three-biome map??? 
          A third issue is more of an annoyance, as I've always put lots of color dots along the margins between each biome in the biomes.png when manually creating a map. The effect is very natural-looking, and I'm glad to see it in Teragon: however - I think it only appears when using the default presets - The last map today was the 'giant cities', using the CP48.6 CP preset, and that came out as sharp-edged blob biomes, with no blending whatsoever: have I missed something? "Diffuse biomes transition' is selected where it occurs, but I might have missed it somewhere? Ideas?

Thanks as always,  😊

pj

You shouldn't get more biomes than are listed in your environmental biome command. Double check that you do not have more than one environmental command active and that you don't have a noise biome command active.  If it still won't work, put you preset on discord and I can check when I get home.

If it is crashing with CP on the Create Town command, update your CP as there was an error that was fixed in CP a day or two ago that was causing that.  Having multiple mods is fine.

Diffuse biomes requires use of environmental biomes and it sounds like you are using noise biomes.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

2 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

Make sure Create Environmental Biomes is enabled, make sure Create Noise Biomes is disabled, or removed from the command queue.

In the Create Environmental Biomes  options there is a Diffuse biome transitions box, make sure that is checked, and you can adjust the diffusion range.  6 is default, I was using 2 (I like a sharper transition, but not the stark "on this side of the edge I am freezing, and on that side I am suffering heatstroke"...)

7 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

Thanks as always,  😊

pj

Can you upload a screenshot of you complete settings in the expert section. This will help guys figure what you did wrong.  If you can use gimp this should be easy.

Come to think of it, could you copy and paste the text in your .ini file. You should use the spoiler function for this because it may be 100 or more lines.

This program is like like rolling character attributes in RPG games, you just keep rolling till you get a 18 int for your mage and 18 strength for your fighter and so on, except it takes longer.

It also reminds me of early 3D graphics renders, although those could take the better part of the day.

Does anyone know about these programs:

https://planetside.co.uk/

https://info.e-onsoftware.com/vue/overview

I always wanted these since they came out in the mid 2000s, but they are very expensive.

I think I know what takes so long to create roads.

Whether or not you strike out the bridges with // and turn off all the prefabs in the advanced tab, the program still makes bridges. I have found bridge prefabs in the prefabs.ini and if you look at this you can see the program placing bridge prefabs:

4 QPoint(375,563) QPoint(2213,750)

Number of road POIs 37616

Time drew road (ms) 16

Number of road positions 400039

Gathered road locations (ms) 80

Apply Laplacian smoothing 400039 11753

moving average took (ms) 2145

filterLaplacianSmoothing

laplacian smoothing took (ms) 20419

Number of roadPaths 6

posStart/posEnd QPoint(-1969,3431) QPoint(-3019,1181)

Initialized search grid in (milliseconds) 0

createSearchGrid in (aStarSearch) (milliseconds) 19051

Start vertex: 788 2138

Goal vertex: 525 1575

Generated path from 3151 , 8551 to 2101 , 6301 in (milliseconds) 32694

Path length 5801

What else could be a road POI?

Here is a screenshot I took after finding bridges in my map after I turned them off completely.

wygjGnq.png

Iz9OcqU.png

Upd8xrm.png

enAIv2f.png

23,962 bridge prefabs.

Hopefully this will be addressed in new updates, because if you do not want bridges you should not have them created when making roads.

I just tested the roads on a waterless map and there are no road POIs:

4 QPoint(713,713) QPoint(750,375)

Number of road POIs 0

Time drew road (ms) 5

Number of road positions 78031

Gathered road locations (ms) 19

Apply Laplacian smoothing 78031 2147

moving average took (ms) 371

filterLaplacianSmoothing

laplacian smoothing took (ms) 323

Number of roadPaths 4

posStart/posEnd QPoint(803,803) QPoint(-1147,953)

Initialized search grid in (milliseconds) 0

createSearchGrid in (aStarSearch) (milliseconds) 696

Start vertex: 713 713

Goal vertex: 225 750

Generated path from 2851 , 2851 to 901 , 3001 in (milliseconds) 1357

Path length 5103

Every time you render a map with water, no mater if you strike out rivers with // and turn them off in the advanced tab, you generate bridge POIs anyway, which are the road POIs in the console. Whether or not you choose complete or incomplete roads you generate bridge POIs as well

09:00   Phew!   @zztong   "Or, do you mean Teragon crashes?"   Yes. A Windows message pops up when Teragon begins the Town or POI creation phase, saying that Teragon has stopped working, and it occurred to me that my 7Days, having three rgwmixers in the Mods folder, there might (somehow) be a conflict. I inhibited Town Creation initially, and it then happened as soon as the first POI phase began. I then inhibited both the Town and the first POI creation: it bombed on the second POI. I repeated that for the rest of the POI's, and the result was the same. Upon removal of the (actually three) prefab mods - Teragon completed the next map without issue, so I assumed that was correct. At that time I wasn't aware of the issue being fixed by the CP group ( @Riamus "update your CP as there was an error that was fixed in CP a day or two ago".  Thank you, though this raised another issue - (not your problem) - attempting to log in to the CP/Teragon Discord was thwarted by the verification process: neither my wife or I have cell phones.... Duh!
           Finally - biomes are now ok. Thank you, all - I did not know about the Create Noise Biomes command.  I'll go back into the weeds now. ('till the next mess. . . )

pj

On 2/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, Riamus said:

SuperPOI4k.png

i would absolutely hate to see how long it would take to generate roads/paths to all those POI's.  I know this was extreme to show that the POI's in the wilderness have been fixed. but Damn thats a few days of work there..lol

To not add the bridge POIs during road making (if you do not want bridges) remove the 2 folders here: Teragon\data\game\

Install_World

POIGroups

Leave the main.ttw file, of course.

Road creation is way faster now. Its been a little less than an hour with main roads at 43% with complete roads selected. The one I did a few days ago took 56 hours.

I have started the creation of documentation for Teragon that can be used while waiting for official documentation.  You can find the link for downloads in the Teragon Unofficial Documentation thread in the Mods>Discussion and Requests forum.  It isn't complete, but it has a lot of information in there.  I'll update it as time permits.  Any questions or comments, just let me know.

It also includes a Tips and Tricks section that you may find useful.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)