Map to show looted houses / POIs

ReneKolmos

A great feature would be if the looted houses / POIs show up on the map as green (or other visual). 

Usually after 7-14 days you have looted most houses in a small city. Then you drive around aimlessly to find unlooted houses. It tidious to leave a block infront of every house you loot and sometimes you come from the back and miss the block.  

I know there could be some issues with respawns / mission POIs etc. But I would still love that feature. 

In general I am not big fan of respawns in houses. Especially if the house is closed of. Would be nice to clear all houses and feel like you "liberated" a city - making it safe. Then there should be more (bigger) wandering hordes. I would see that as much more realistic. 

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

How would the game find out that you have looted a building? Before you answer, consider that your proposed solution should not involve searching through all the blocks of a POI as that costs lots of performance.

True. TFP would have make a feature that marks a POI as cleared when for example all zombies have been killed and/or a (special) lootbox has been opened. Maybe that lootbox can only be opened when there are no zombies in the vicinity. I have no idea about the impact of this. 

But I think it would give players a great satisfaction to slowly turn all houses/POIs green as they go along. Maybe even get a "bonus" for clearing an entire city. 

I would certainly enjoy that and feel more accomplished than just looting houses nilly-willy.

4 hours ago, Diragor said:

Okay how about this. automatically share/accept map markers so whenever you create a marker on a POI that got looted, it gets shared with all mates and their map auto accepts this share so they won't forget and see it on the map.

Good idea. Still adding map markers needs too many clicks (it would need to be a special one-click marker) and I expect most people would forget too often to mark the pois. But with the right people may work.

2 hours ago, ReneKolmos said:

True. TFP would have make a feature that marks a POI as cleared when for example all zombies have been killed and/or a (special) lootbox has been opened. Maybe that lootbox can only be opened when there are no zombies in the vicinity. I have no idea about the impact of this. 

If we allow only finished quests to mark a poi as cleared then that would be easy.

Though I don't know if they have any dynamic data store per POI anywhere, that would have to be added to the save.

2 hours ago, ReneKolmos said:

But I think it would give players a great satisfaction to slowly turn all houses/POIs green as they go along. Maybe even get a "bonus" for clearing an entire city. 

I would certainly enjoy that and feel more accomplished than just looting houses nilly-willy.

That idea was proposed a few times. I think it would be a nice addition to the story quest line that is still to come, but would need rework how the trader quests are selected if TFP uses the easy way above to determine clearance. In any way it would need some work and if they haven't planned to add it already they won't add it now. They try to reach the finish line and release the game.

This topic comes up occasionally, and I agree there is a lot of satisfaction in looting an entire town, especially if you're the type of player who plays without loot respawn. Though trying to come up with universally-accepted criteria for what is considered a "looted" POI would be difficult.

• Making it a requirement that I kill every zombie before I can open the main loot seems arbitrary and breaks immersion IMO. Did the last one I killed just happen to be holding a key to the chest? Also, many players would be rather displeased that they would have to kill every zombie just to get the loot. Also, if I'm randomly looting a POI (without a quest) it would not give me any indicators of the last remaining sleeper volume, so finding it in a large POI could be a pain.
  • Not all POIs have  "main loot" so basing it off of whether or not that final chest has been opened wouldn't work either

Whatever the solution could be, ideally it would be initiated manually by the player, and not something that the game does automatically. Some players place markers on the map. That has its own issues in that it clutters up the map, and more importantly, the hud. If they could make a unique marker that doesn't appear on the hud, then that would work better. The best solution I've heard so far (and use regularly) is just to place a wooden frame in front of the POI so I know quickly if I've looted it before. I tend to use a unique shape that can't be confused with anything else. Of course, this really only works for single player. MP groups would want to agree on a system that works for them.

Unfortunately none of this solves your desire to "track" your looted POIs like a checklist, but it does help with identifying where you've been.

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

How would the game find out that you have looted a building? Before you answer, consider that your proposed solution should not involve searching through all the blocks of a POI as that costs lots of performance.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the idea, but...

When somebody opens a T1 Crate, T2 Leather Chest, T3-T5 Final Loot Box then the game can look up the POI's name (or whatever relevant ID is available) in a manner similar to the F11 feature and change the POI's "last looted" time.

... it isn't perfect because the idea isn't perfect. What does "a looted POI" mean? Do all of a POI's containers have to be empty? What if I take the "good stuff" and "leave the junk" ... is the POI looted?

3 hours ago, zztong said:

I'm not necessarily a fan of the idea, but...

When somebody opens a T1 Crate, T2 Leather Chest, T3-T5 Final Loot Box then the game can look up the POI's name (or whatever relevant ID is available) in a manner similar to the F11 feature and change the POI's "last looted" time.

... it isn't perfect because the idea isn't perfect. What does "a looted POI" mean? Do all of a POI's containers have to be empty? What if I take the "good stuff" and "leave the junk" ... is the POI looted?

This is why it needs to be triggered by the player. Let them decide what they consider "looted". That and not all POIs have "T#" chest. Many remnants do not have a main loot cache.

Having a marker that doesn't show on the HUD would be useful for other things as well.  I had started using waypoints for mines I had dug until realizing how cluttered it makes the HUD.  I wouldn't want them to show on the HUD, but being able to mark them on the map would be nice.

I know for some Mod is a four letter word but I am using one now that takes a lot of the non essential ones off the compass.

I couldn't see the cardinal directions on mine with the amount of things I had marked but this mod fixed it up nice for me.

Androthi - Declutter Compass

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)