Why add 7dtd to gamepass

Ruckcus

2 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

That's an issue that arises from copyright and publishing rights conflicting with media preservation I'm afraid. We can blame the World Mouse for most of modern media not coming into the public domain anymore.

not only - steam is powerfull but whatever we can say about valve... they don't care about that too much. But stockholders or M$ want more cash - so this mean they want to create monopoly - so they can someday create system when devs will get dunno 50% and M$ 50% and there will be not any alternative - servers are costly so indie studios will give up and big company will be trying to make deal with M$ so what this create? - copy of ac, witcher cod over  and over. Well at least now we have alternative but this can end someday. I know - i'm negative about this world 99% but i think i can be right and this is frustrating because as always there is nothing i can do

On 4/22/2022 at 2:24 PM, Evil_Geoff said:

GamePass may allow console players to get access to A20 with mods (see all the discussion about moving the \Mods folder to the default save location in User\%AppData\... location).

No, that isn't possible. Console players will only have access to the console version of the game. They would have to be on the PC to get the PC version.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:47 AM, Matt115 said:

But there is a big risk -  games can be deleted from gamepass like movies from netflix - so if gamepass will be too powerfull this can be problem. Do you want to play plague tale after work? sorry it was deleted etc

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "game pass will be to powerfull", but you're right about games coming and going. As I said in the post above, it is a great deal for certain types of gamers. I play a lot of different games, sometimes only for a few days or a couple of weeks. Just started Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion this weekend. Probably play it this week and then set it aside. I played Pedestrian for about 4 weeks. Bridge Builder for a couple. Limbo for a couple of weeks (finished that one). MLB The Show during baseball season a few times. So a service like GamePass is perfect for my playing habits. It will also not be perfect - or even mildly useful - to other folks. If I really enjoy a game - like I did with ARK or Crackdown or TT Wonderlands - then I buy it. Any game on GamePass can be purchased outright if you want to own it. Often at a discount.

I assume Sony has something very similar (and probably making way more money since they dominate the console space). Works for some gamers, won't really work for others. Definitely won't work for gamers worried about the risk of having to buy a game if they want to play it again indefinitely.

9 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "game pass will be to powerfull", but you're right about games coming and going. As I said in the post above, it is a great deal for certain types of gamers. I play a lot of different games, sometimes only for a few days or a couple of weeks. Just started Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion this weekend. Probably play it this week and then set it aside. I played Pedestrian for about 4 weeks. Bridge Builder for a couple. Limbo for a couple of weeks (finished that one). MLB The Show during baseball season a few times. So a service like GamePass is perfect for my playing habits. It will also not be perfect - or even mildly useful - to other folks. If I really enjoy a game - like I did with ARK or Crackdown or TT Wonderlands - then I buy it. Any game on GamePass can be purchased outright if you want to own it. Often at a discount.

I assume Sony has something very similar (and probably making way more money since they dominate the console space). Works for some gamers, won't really work for others. Definitely won't work for gamers worried about the risk of having to buy a game if they want to play it again indefinitely.

I will try to explain but sorry if i will be too.. deppresing ok? Someday you will not able to buy new games because of this - why? because of this same reason why for example playstation elimiated some game from their shops. So buy buy fatal frame. But  gamepass can someday became netflix - well first time when netflix came to my country it was good now... just is terrible. I like star wars. I had bad period you. So i decided to watch clone wars tv show. it's not avalible - because it's coming disney + . So mean you have to spend more cash.  Steam is good because if you want to return to old game you can. And that's i like but game pass will not keep old games - like netflix with licenses.  And it will hurt after some years ( dlc was joke in oblivion but now it's cancer like - that's why cod is so dead). So now it's good but it can became monopoly - Sony decided to censore martha is dead. But after 20 years most game will be ... safe - you know generic to not be controversial - why? because game will be connected with M$. And they will more focused on bigger games - because it is safer to publish cod or halo that indie game right? so if microsoft will be more powerful by game pass and buying studios they will be to big infulence on market.. and nobody will able to do something about that - tencet have this same point of view so they will cooperate with M$. just wait 20-30 years. Well - tv shows are so bad right? so this can happens with games too

Ok let's BACK the F up a min since some people seem to have some completely wrong or bad opinions about things they don't understand.

Gamepass  has three tiers of service(may be named differently!!!!!! I am just gonna paraphase the DETAILS)

1. Game Pass for XB
  2. Game Pass for PC 
  3. Game Pass Ultimate(this combines Gamepass for BOTH platforms as a service)

Im a bit lazy to look up the prices right now, but let's say that the first two are about $10 a piece per month on average and the third is about $15 a month.  

These services are an AMAZING deal if you are the type of person who plays many different games over the course of a year and are constantly looking for a new game to play(more on this in a minute).     They have perhaps a 6-10 dozen games (so 100ish more or less) available at any one time and every month or so, some "new"(ie new to the service user) game come in and some "older"(older being games that have been on the services for a while) are removed.    Sometimes(but not always!), the "new" games are FIRST RELEASE triple A titles on the day of their release to everyone in the world.     There are quite a lot of small indie type titles there was well.   

SOME of the games are likely NEVER going to leave or at least not for a very long time.  For example, Minecraft has been on Gamepass for most or all of it's lifetime of existence(5+ years?), as has Fallout 76.  Other games, especially the AAA titles Microsoft publish/own tend to stick around for several years.    

Now, in addition to a netflix like inventory of some select games that you might want to try that rotates on a frequent basis, if the game is every going to leave, Gamepass, you get a 20% discount on purchasing the game outright so you can continue to play the game after it leaves Gamepass.   

IN ADDITION, there are a few games(not many honestly, but I will still point it out) that are actually play anywhere, so you can in fact play on your sofa on the xbox and then get up and go to your computer and play with the same stuff on that same game.   Minecraft is one that comes to mind as I have played on the same realm from both my computer AND from my console(this is not a Gamepass specific feature, it's more of a Microsoft eco system feature for a VERY small number of select games and would benefit anyone who either bought the games out right or had Gamepass Ultimate for those games that are on the service.     

Who it is NOT for: people who play the same game for months and years.   I would highly suspect that the VAST majority of the 7 Days to Die FORUM community are not the target audience.    My experience is that forums cater to LONG term fans of a game and it's fairly rare a causal game player ever looks at a forum(and this is why polls about features are quite useless on a forum as they don't represent the fanbase, only the most rabid of that games fans!!!)

Just because I don't use Gamepass, does not mean I am blind to the value it can add for a heck of a lot of people who play games it a different way than I do.    It adds even more value to some people playing on console only since MS requires XBox Live to play online games(about $5 a month) on the console and Gamepass rolls that price in, so you are technically paying about $5 for the rotating game part of the service if you ALSO play online games with others.  

The BIG question I have is on the PC, what version of the game will they actually get?  the old XB port or the new up to date Alpha 20 that steam has???   I have no idea but if the PC players get the latest PC port that could be a very good deal for those people who already have Gamepass for PC.   It could also make even more enemies for people who have not played the game if it's the old port version.   

Either way, this is IMHO a very bad idea for The Fun Pimp's product.  I don't know if TFP have any say in the matter or not(or if this is a Microsoft only decision), but if they do I would not want even MORE negative exposure to a game that is growing into it's own.   There is an old saying that goes something like "there is no such thing as bad publicity" and I would argue otherwise in this case.

4 hours ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

The BIG question I have is on the PC, what version of the game will they actually get? 

PC players will get the current PC version of the game. (a20.4+)

Console players will get the current (old) console version of the game. (a14.7 with some a15 bits)

Rolands announcement was pretty clear about that.

2 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Console players will get the current (classic) console version of the game. (a14.7 with some a15 bits)

Fixed for you. 😀

Joking aside, hopefully this is just one step closer to an updated console port.  I can only imagine this just makes working with Xbox easier for porting the game over again.

Just now, Laz Man said:

Fixed for you. 😀

Joking aside, hopefully this is just one step closer to an updated console port.  I can only imagine this just makes working with Xbox easier for porting the game over again.

No update for the current version. Will have to be a whole new game. Yall can thank TellTale for that.

19 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Console players will get the current (old) console version of the game. (a14.7 with some a15 bits)

I'll just add that Game Pass players will most likely only have access to the whatever the current stable version is and not be able to participate in experimental branches or play past versions. As for modding...not sure. If the mod files were placed in the new location would that allow them to play a modded game?

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I'll just add that Game Pass players will most likely only have access to the whatever the current stable version is and not be able to participate in experimental branches or play past versions. As for modding...not sure. If the mod files were placed in the new location would that allow them to play a modded game?

It should.  I was just thinking about signing up for Game Pass again to test it, but I don't want to get sucked into Game Pass again.  There isn't a purchase option in the store either. It only appears to be available on Game Pass.

21 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

It should.  I was just thinking about signing up for Game Pass again to test it, but I don't want to get sucked into Game Pass again.  There isn't a purchase option in the store either. It only appears to be available on Game Pass.

I suppose that if someone tried it on Game Pass and liked it enough to want to mod it but couldn't figure out how to configure things they could wait for the next Steam sale and then get it "for real" and be able to participate in all the cool overhaul mods.

If the changes to the mod file destination were made so that Game Pass players can also participate in using mods then that really shows TFP's commitment to broadening the modding community and player base rather than what some want to accuse them of because of the change....

16 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Perhaps it took time to populate, but I see an option to buy the PC version through Microsoft now. Also an option for a free trial which is nice. (Not sure if there's a demo on Steam).

Screenshot (36).png

20 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

Perhaps it took time to populate, but I see an option to buy the PC version through Microsoft now. Also an option for a free trial which is nice. (Not sure if there's a demo on Steam).

Screenshot (36).png

No demo on Steam, and I don't have a free trial offer either. I do have options other than just play with Game pass now though.

75b6b61c59d464b3a164fa3c587469de.png

That was taken from the Xbox app on the PC.

I did however find this in the MS Store.

45a3b79df13fb430d0c4c8fd65e2e858.jpg

There is only the "Included with Game Pass" or purchase option here as well, so I suppose the "free trial" is just that the game is available with Game Pass this month, and that will be leaving as soon as it's not on Game Pass anymore.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:55 PM, JoeDaFrogman said:

Ok let's BACK the F up a min since some people seem to have some completely wrong or bad opinions about things they don't understand.

Gamepass  has three tiers of service(may be named differently!!!!!! I am just gonna paraphase the DETAILS)

1. Game Pass for XB
  2. Game Pass for PC 
  3. Game Pass Ultimate(this combines Gamepass for BOTH platforms as a service)

Im a bit lazy to look up the prices right now, but let's say that the first two are about $10 a piece per month on average and the third is about $15 a month.  

These services are an AMAZING deal if you are the type of person who plays many different games over the course of a year and are constantly looking for a new game to play(more on this in a minute).     They have perhaps a 6-10 dozen games (so 100ish more or less) available at any one time and every month or so, some "new"(ie new to the service user) game come in and some "older"(older being games that have been on the services for a while) are removed.    Sometimes(but not always!), the "new" games are FIRST RELEASE triple A titles on the day of their release to everyone in the world.     There are quite a lot of small indie type titles there was well.   

SOME of the games are likely NEVER going to leave or at least not for a very long time.  For example, Minecraft has been on Gamepass for most or all of it's lifetime of existence(5+ years?), as has Fallout 76.  Other games, especially the AAA titles Microsoft publish/own tend to stick around for several years.    

Now, in addition to a netflix like inventory of some select games that you might want to try that rotates on a frequent basis, if the game is every going to leave, Gamepass, you get a 20% discount on purchasing the game outright so you can continue to play the game after it leaves Gamepass.   

IN ADDITION, there are a few games(not many honestly, but I will still point it out) that are actually play anywhere, so you can in fact play on your sofa on the xbox and then get up and go to your computer and play with the same stuff on that same game.   Minecraft is one that comes to mind as I have played on the same realm from both my computer AND from my console(this is not a Gamepass specific feature, it's more of a Microsoft eco system feature for a VERY small number of select games and would benefit anyone who either bought the games out right or had Gamepass Ultimate for those games that are on the service.     

Who it is NOT for: people who play the same game for months and years.   I would highly suspect that the VAST majority of the 7 Days to Die FORUM community are not the target audience.    My experience is that forums cater to LONG term fans of a game and it's fairly rare a causal game player ever looks at a forum(and this is why polls about features are quite useless on a forum as they don't represent the fanbase, only the most rabid of that games fans!!!)

Just because I don't use Gamepass, does not mean I am blind to the value it can add for a heck of a lot of people who play games it a different way than I do.    It adds even more value to some people playing on console only since MS requires XBox Live to play online games(about $5 a month) on the console and Gamepass rolls that price in, so you are technically paying about $5 for the rotating game part of the service if you ALSO play online games with others.  

The BIG question I have is on the PC, what version of the game will they actually get?  the old XB port or the new up to date Alpha 20 that steam has???   I have no idea but if the PC players get the latest PC port that could be a very good deal for those people who already have Gamepass for PC.   It could also make even more enemies for people who have not played the game if it's the old port version.   

Either way, this is IMHO a very bad idea for The Fun Pimp's product.  I don't know if TFP have any say in the matter or not(or if this is a Microsoft only decision), but if they do I would not want even MORE negative exposure to a game that is growing into it's own.   There is an old saying that goes something like "there is no such thing as bad publicity" and I would argue otherwise in this case.

And because people like you we don't get days gone 2.  People often don't buy on premiere but they are waiting for sale. you can find interview with DG director why this is so toxic. 

But i agree that it bad idea for TFP

On 4/26/2022 at 1:41 AM, Laz Man said:

Fixed for you. 😀

Was telltale  responsible for xbox and ps versions or for ps version only?

On 4/27/2022 at 12:17 AM, Roland said:

I suppose that if someone tried it on Game Pass and liked it enough to want to mod it but couldn't figure out how to configure things they could wait for the next Steam sale and then get it "for real" and be able to participate in all the cool overhaul mods.

If the changes to the mod file destination were made so that Game Pass players can also participate in using mods then that really shows TFP's commitment to broadening the modding community and player base rather than what some want to accuse them of because of the change....

I think most people who instaled 7dtd from game pass will say "this game is unfinshed crap". Because before gold released they would never test 7dtd ( and that's good).  And mods are not solution. I don't think that person who check 25+ games for week will mod a game.  No, this not show commitment. It would be showed if TFP instead make deal with M$ decided to implement workshop on steam before gold 

And i say. Mods are not excuse. Skyrim is good game because have a lot content not because of mods. Medieval 2 total war this same thing, stalker, coh 2 etc. So mount and blade is good base for mods but this game have a lot of content. 

1 minute ago, SylenThunder said:

TTG made both of the Console releases.

Thx.

So - it's not TFP problem. If MS give a condtion " you can update 7dtd if 7dtd will be added to gamepass"  TFP would  1. make annoucement about that and left xbox version 2.  sell xbox version to MS and annoucement. This would be the most best options

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Thx.

So - it's not TFP problem. If MS give a condtion " you can update 7dtd if 7dtd will be added to gamepass"  TFP would  1. make annoucement about that and left xbox version 2.  sell xbox version to MS and annoucement. This would be the most best options

When Laz said "Updated xbox port" he was not talking about updating the original xbox version. He was talking about a future xbox version based off of the completed PC game. The original console version of 7 Days to Die is not going to be updated.

7 Days to Die on Gamepass was never really about the console version anyway. It was about broadening the reach of the PC version and getting it into the hands of more gamers. The fact that MS is including the console version as well is great but it is the PC version being available to try and purchase through additional nodes than currently exist is what is exciting for the Huenink Bros.

People can say that 7 Days to Die isn't really the type of game that will do well on Game Pass or that because it is unfinished it will give a bad impression to most gamers using that platform, but the truth is that this game seems to really resonate with a lot of gamers and for every one who turns their nose up at the unpolished nature of the game there will be a group of 4-8 friends who design and build a base together and survive their first horde night together and who will then become completely and irreversibly hooked.  We always get that guy who posts that he and all his friends have dropped the game because of reasons and so probably everyone across the world is just like them and doing the same and yet.... the player base keeps growing and growing year by year and update after update. The reason is because this game is like crack for way more gamers than are represented by this forum. 

There will be a lot of 7 Days obsessed gamers that will come out of this new market and that is awesome for the game.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

When Laz said "Updated xbox port" he was not talking about updating the original xbox version. He was talking about a future xbox version based off of the completed PC game. The original console version of 7 Days to Die is not going to be updated.

7 Days to Die on Gamepass was never really about the console version anyway. It was about broadening the reach of the PC version and getting it into the hands of more gamers. The fact that MS is including the console version as well is great but it is the PC version being available to try and purchase through additional nodes than currently exist is what is exciting for the Huenink Bros.

People can say that 7 Days to Die isn't really the type of game that will do well on Game Pass or that because it is unfinished it will give a bad impression to most gamers using that platform, but the truth is that this game seems to really resonate with a lot of gamers and for every one who turns their nose up at the unpolished nature of the game there will be a group of 4-8 friends who design and build a base together and survive their first horde night together and who will then become completely and irreversibly hooked.  We always get that guy who posts that he and all his friends have dropped the game because of reasons and so probably everyone across the world is just like them and doing the same and yet.... the player base keeps growing and growing year by year and update after update. The reason is because this game is like crack for way more gamers than are represented by this forum. 

There will be a lot of 7 Days obsessed gamers that will come out of this new market and that is awesome for the game.

6e9u69.jpg

10 hours ago, Roland said:

Or....  a lot of people will have bad opinon about 7dtd. i'm not writing this because i don't like gamepass but because... B4B and warhamme 3 total war. 

I know this sounds strange but i will start from begining 

In beta test B4B was bugfest and after relase... it was bugfest too - some people saying that b4b are incompentent and some people say that was lack of time because  MS added B4B to gamepass with released  - so this mean 1. B4B made bad deal 2. they knew that B4B will be mess but deal with MS is good enough to don't care that B4B is worst that l4d2.

And here we have warhammer 3 - well a lot of people very famous in TW community saying that this game is unfinshed mess with lack of content, bugs etc that even older total war when they were released was better that W3. So there are 2 theories - 1. something gone wrong when they producing W3 and they had too recreate this game fast 2. they knew that game is bad but similiar to B4B they made deal with MS.

So in some people opinion MS adding to gamepass bugged unfinished games.  And.. well 7dtd in not finished too right? A lot of people make a account and writing about bugs and long term of production of 7dtd. We know why but "typical" person not.  

From typical gamer point of view - if someone buy gamepass probably will test a 7dtd for while and let go because.... there is "finished" minecraft with new big update.

People have limited time right? So they buy gamepass because they don't have too much time. So some of them probably will not "waste time" to deal with bugs when they have access to another games "for free"

When they buy game there is diffrent situation - if you buy a game and it's medicore you will this play because they would have to spend more money to buy diffrent game. 

So - when 7dtd will get gold released people who never knew about 7dtd will buy 7dtd because it came out from early access and there is big banner on steam about that. But if they will tested this game and they will think " looks good but bugs , lack of content,  terrible water" will not buy it when 7dtd will get gold .

I hope i'm wrong because i love 7dtd  but usually only bad things happens so i think it can be image mistake 😕

I don't think having an 'unfinished' game in Gamepass is an issue at all, as long as it's clearly marked as early access, which the PC version is. I think the bigger issue is having such drastically different versions in the PC and Console version available in Gamepass. It's going to lead to confusion and frustration. People have come to expect that games that are available on both platforms through the MS store often (usually?) have some combination of cross play / cross purchase / cross progression. It's really a shame the console version couldn't have been sorted in time for the Gamepass release, but it is what it is I guess.

4 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Or....  a lot of people will have bad opinon about 7dtd. <snip>

How is any of that different for Steam purchases? Is it because of the subscription basis for GamePass? If the root issue is, "releasing an unfinished game will turn off gamers", then is the correct course of action for TFP to limit exposure as much as possible until the game is finished? Fewer players = better, at least for now? That is an opinion that could have plenty of valid argument behind it, but what does "GamePass" or "Playstation+" or "Steam" or "Boid's Fantastic Game Store" have to do with it? TFP has been dealing with this unfinished game and feedback from its players for years. By and large, the reaction is quite positive in spite of the games' current problems, innit?

A) Limit exposure to new players until game is finished

B) Seek maximum exposure (under terms favorable to TFP of course)

C) Seek maximum exposure, but not via GamePass

I think B is the correct choice. I don't understand why C would be a better choice than B. Choice A is arguable; maybe that is where you're coming from. Or is there a choice D? If you've got one, give me the D. Wait that doesn't sound right.

59 minutes ago, Boidster said:

How is any of that different for Steam purchases? Is it because of the subscription basis for GamePass? If the root issue is, "releasing an unfinished game will turn off gamers", then is the correct course of action for TFP to limit exposure as much as possible until the game is finished? Fewer players = better, at least for now? That is an opinion that could have plenty of valid argument behind it, but what does "GamePass" or "Playstation+" or "Steam" or "Boid's Fantastic Game Store" have to do with it? TFP has been dealing with this unfinished game and feedback from its players for years. By and large, the reaction is quite positive in spite of the games' current problems, innit?

I think B is the correct choice. I don't understand why C would be a better choice than B. Choice A is arguable; maybe that is where you're coming from. Or is there a choice D? If you've got one, give me the D. Wait that doesn't sound right.

Buy a game on steam -  (you can return but i think if someone buy sandbox game this person will spend at least 10 h). So - if this person will don't like 7dtd because of bugs , there is big chance that person will return to this game after gold. if person buy gamepass.. well probably will forget about 7dtd - there is for example halo . So D would be - add 7dtd after gold not now. Now - question is : if they want to get money in short time or long time - 1. short period They can make for example : prequel comic about Duke.  

2. long period - after gold released dlc. 

Steam playerbase is diffrent that "gamepass" - steam players are use to have early access games. 

5 hours ago, Boidster said:

From my perpsective, a person who has played both console as well as PC versions, this: 

image.png.af61c5a31443e1f5472cbc5341dcfd9a.png

Is a big part of why I think it' might not be the best idea.   To be honest, on the console, I can't say 100% for sure, but I am moderately confident that the rating was lower a few months ago(8-10ish??) when I last checked.    The comments are pretty darn vitriolic and very few people know or care "it's not The Fun Pimp's fault".    The fact is that nothing on the console(at least not the XBox) port as far as I can find indicates that this is an early access game and is still in development.   To my knowledge anyone buying the game would reasonably expect that the game is done and then they get the mess of crashes.

I have played perhaps 1000+ hours on console, so not exactly a small amount of time before moving to PC.   My experience is:

Fairly constant crashes.  They happen roughly 1-2 hours of play on average.    I got to the point where I just started closing the game around the 1 hour mark and then starting back.   

The biggest issue though is when a crash DOES happen, when you load back in there is a moderate chance of anything you built being deleted.   Imaging placing a forge, 3-4 boxes filled with crap, and workstation, and the logging back on and all of that deleted and reset back to the POI's default configuration.

From what I think(based on what others have said), is that the game attempts to rebuild POI's, cars, trash, etc, SOOO in an effort to avoid once I found this out, I always built away from anything that respawns and never had the issue again.     It was SOOO refreshing once moving to PC to be able to just grab a random POI and "harden" it instead of having to find a spot to build my own base(and spending the time building instead of time looting and questing).     

Archived