empty glass jars

Survior

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

You can make it so you get a bottle back when you eat the stew which seems normal. After all, you put in the ingredients and then when the stew is cooked what do you do with it? You put it back in the bottle of course and seal it. Then when you eat it you still have your bottle.

That could definitely be a good temporary work around for food items.

I lose a lot of bottles using glue, so we'd need to figure out something for that to.

3 hours ago, pahbi said:

Can recipes produce more than 1 item?

Take meat stew for example, the ingredients are 5 raw meat, 2 potato, 2 corn, 1 fat and 1 bottle of water.

Until the game can produce multiple items from a single recipe, then all of those ingredients will be lost to produce 1 meat stew instead of 1 meat stew and 1 empty jar.

The answer to the original question is probably that the game just can't produce 2 items from a recipe.  Maybe that's on the to do list?  

To really get back all the bottles we unnecessarily lose, I guess you'd have to look at all the bottles lost making food, making things with glue (especially duct tape) and antibiotics just to name a few.  Maybe there is a something on nexus mods to do this.

I think you're correct on the game not being able to create more than one item from a recipe. I seem to remember a dev or mod (my memory sucks sometimes lol), awhile back stating that only one item can be created. I "think" it had something to do with how the game engine works.

Like others said though, I could see the item being returned after being consumed, like drinks do currently. I know some mods have been listed which do this, I just never worried about it tbh because I make so many jars early on.

3 hours ago, pahbi said:

Edited by Fenris (see edit history)

On 2/20/2022 at 7:05 AM, pahbi said:

Can recipes produce more than 1 item?

On 2/20/2022 at 10:21 AM, Fenris said:

I think you're correct on the game not being able to create more than one item from a recipe. I seem to remember a dev or mod (my memory sucks sometimes lol), awhile back stating that only one item can be created. I "think" it had something to do with how the game engine works.

In response to this... I'm curious how the bundles work, since those return multiple items from a single action/trigger. I bet a mod could be rigged using the same mechanism to do multiple items per crafting/use action.

20 hours ago, DaChibii said:

In response to this... I'm curious how the bundles work, since those return multiple items from a single action/trigger. I bet a mod could be rigged using the same mechanism to do multiple items per crafting/use action.

From the code

<item name="questRewardMinibikePartsBundle">
    <property name="Extends" value="noteTestersDelightAdmin"/>
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="bundleVehicleMiniBike"/>
    <property name="CustomIconTint" value="FFFFFF"/>
    <property name="ItemTypeIcon" value="bundle"/>
    <property name="DescriptionKey" value="questRewardVechileBundleDesc"/>
    <property class="Action0">
        <property name="Create_item" value="vehicleWheels"/>
        <property name="Create_item_count" value="2"/>
        <property name="Random_item" value="smallEngine,carBattery,vehicleMinibikeChassis,vehicleMinibikeHandlebars"/>
        <property name="Random_item_count" value="1,1,1,1,1"/>
        <property name="Random_count" value="2"/>
        <property name="Unique_random_only" value="true"/>
    </property>
</item>

You can make multiple items from recipes, you just need to make an equivalent bundle in the items file and reference to that instead of the single item.  That is how they do the ammo bundles in the game.

For example

<item name="ammoBundleJunkTurretRegular">
    <property name="Extends" value="ammoBundleMaster"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="ammoJunkTurretRegular"/>
    <property name="EconomicValue" value="1000"/>
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkTechJunkie8Complete"/>
        <property name="Create_item" value="ammoJunkTurretRegular"/>
        <property name="Create_item_count" value="1000"/>
    </property>
</item>

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

From the code

<item name="questRewardMinibikePartsBundle">
    <property name="Extends" value="noteTestersDelightAdmin"/>
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="bundleVehicleMiniBike"/>
    <property name="CustomIconTint" value="FFFFFF"/>
    <property name="ItemTypeIcon" value="bundle"/>
    <property name="DescriptionKey" value="questRewardVechileBundleDesc"/>
        <property name="Create_item" value="vehicleWheels"/>
        <property name="Create_item_count" value="2"/>
        <property name="Random_item" value="smallEngine,carBattery,vehicleMinibikeChassis,vehicleMinibikeHandlebars"/>
        <property name="Random_item_count" value="1,1,1,1,1"/>
        <property name="Random_count" value="2"/>
        <property name="Unique_random_only" value="true"/>
    </property>
</item>

Soooo..... without looking at the code, I assume the crafting system is bunch of "property class="(unique-name)"" where each one has the "Create_item" property?

Because from the above code, one can apparently chain both Random and Create in a class, which means it might not need to be done via bundle. Hell, you could even make it so that the returning a empty glass jar be an RNG event. I mean the boiled water in the spaghetti recipe is just to represent the water to boil the pasta in, why couldn't the recipe return bottles of murky water (aka pasta water).

I understand that the cooking system isn't really a major system of the game and I do hate adding more RNG into the game, but I feel like getting a little RNG bonus now and then when crafting might make it less of a grindy chore.

It sounds like we could make cooking bundles.

As a example, 1 Hobo Stew Bundle could be 80 Rotting Flesh, 16 Corn, 16 Potato, 8 Fat and 8 Boiled water.

The bundle could then open up to something like 10 Hobo Stews, 4 empty jars and 4 murky waters.

That would be cool.

There was a time in this game I used to throw out empty jars like idgaf.

Now, im level 150 ish on my MP game with 5 other people and I made 500 of them with more incoming.

The level of jars in general needed for water in end game recipes is off the charts, but by far not complaint from me because I also make sand for my concrete mix.

Add in the need for molotovs and I just wish I could auotmate the process of replacing jars.

I really dislike how I don't get the jars back unless its for drinking.