Ammo changes in 20.1

Reth

From the 20.1 EXP patch notes:

• Reduced ammo loot counts by ~15 to 30% 
  • Reduced amount of ammo found in yellow zombie loot bags from large to medium group 
  • Reduced amount of ammo found in blue zombie loot bags from 2 large rolls to 1

We certainly do have an abundance of ammo right now, but I think these changes goo way too far. Doing lvl 5 quests in wasteland PoIs requires a lot of ammo, especially at night with endless screamer hordes. The changes above will make those quests cost prohibitive.

I wouldn't worry too much without testing it out, 30% sounds like a lot, but I'm running a straight up surplus on even the type of ammo I'm using - regardless of the fight, hordes or POIs. All the other ammo types just keep piling up. Reduction by 50% would make me consider carrying a secondary type of weapon, and would still result in a net surplus.. :)

unknown.png

I mean I got this much from a lootstage 233 hordenight in Alpha 20 stable. There is over 5000 rounds of ammo in there

I think we will be fine, even with a 30% nerf a tier 5 POI will still grant around 700 rounds of ammo as well

what I am more concerned about isnt less ammo, but actually being able to loot .44 magnum ammo which for what ever reason doesn't exist in looting. hope that was fixed in 20.1

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, theFlu said:

I wouldn't worry too much without testing it out, 30% sounds like a lot, but I'm running a straight up surplus on even the type of ammo I'm using - regardless of the fight, hordes or POIs. All the other ammo types just keep piling up. Reduction by 50% would make me consider carrying a secondary type of weapon, and would still result in a net surplus.. :)

If it was just 30%, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are, however, lines 2 and 3 in that change list, that seem to be *in addition* to the count change. Overall, it sounds like a ~50% to ~60% *overall* reduction.

I don't think we'll mind the lower ammo drop rates.  I'm starting to set up shotgun turrets around just to have something to do with the 20+ stacks of shotgun shells we have laying around lol.  

40 minutes ago, Reth said:

We certainly do have an abundance of ammo right now, but I think these changes goo way too far. Doing lvl 5 quests in wasteland PoIs requires a lot of ammo, especially at night with endless screamer hordes. The changes above will make those quests cost prohibitive.

We usually do two Tier 5 skycraper quests in the Wasteland and end up leaving with more ammo than we go in with lol.  My wife uses the SMG and I'm using the M60 so we are letting the lead fly during every fight. I go in with 1000 rounds and leave with between 1500 and 2000 rounds most trips.  It's crazy the amount of ammo we get these days.  

My only complaint with ammo has been that the prices the trader will give you, even with maxed out perks and such, is outrageously low compared to what they charge. I'd personally like ammo to always run at a negative for the weapon you prefer but get enough other ammo to trade it up at the trader for what you do need. As it stands though ammo sells for very little but costs an arm and a leg.

I'm on day 90 something with my 5 man group in A20. 2 miners, they've never mined for materials for ammunition. We have different storage boxes for each type of ammo because we very quickly hit the point where one box didn't suffice and simply can't spend it faster than we use it while not playing conservative with it. At this rate we're throwing away ammo we find while on trader quests that we don't need on the run. It's silly. Even if it was a 50% reduction in ammo it wouldn't be bad as we can always mine for materials to craft it.

53 minutes ago, Niil945 said:

I'm on day 90 something with my 5 man group in A20. 2 miners, they've never mined for materials for ammunition. We have different storage boxes for each type of ammo because we very quickly hit the point where one box didn't suffice and simply can't spend it faster than we use it while not playing conservative with it. At this rate we're throwing away ammo we find while on trader quests that we don't need on the run. It's silly. Even if it was a 50% reduction in ammo it wouldn't be bad as we can always mine for materials to craft it.

Yep in the past few Alpha builds we make sure to grab every bit of Brass we can find while in houses.  We break faucets, light fixtures, take apart radiators and A/C units, anything we can do to get more Brass.  This Alpha though we haven't had a need to due to finding more ammo than we can use.  I kind of miss having to worry about getting enough Brass to be able to get more ammo.

2 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

Yep in the past few Alpha builds we make sure to grab every bit of Brass we can find while in houses.  We break faucets, light fixtures, take apart radiators and A/C units, anything we can do to get more Brass.  This Alpha though we haven't had a need to due to finding more ammo than we can use.  I kind of miss having to worry about getting enough Brass to be able to get more ammo.

I remember in past alphas pooling dukes to smelt for bullet casings because that was easier and less time consuming than trying to break everything down unless spec'd for scavenger. Everyone had to pitch in, those who didn't didn't get ammo made lol