Settings that control weather

Sjustus548

I'm wondering if there are settings that control what kind of weather you have or how severe it gets.  I'm hosting a local server for me and my wife.  There are a lot of times where on her screen it will be nice and clear with a little bit of rain.  Mine on the other hand with be pouring rain with thunder and lightning with fog so thick I can barely see.  So I'm wondering what setting controls how bad the weather gets in the game.  Would be nice if we had the same weather going on lol.

I have heard of the “people seeing different weather” issue, so hopefully that gets fixed. The weather configs are in the “weather.xml” file in the “Config” folder in the games directory. The weather is different in a20, in that it’s broken into seperate sections inside each biome. Usually these sections are named “normal”, “fog”, “rain”, and “storm”.  Not all biomes have all these sections. Likely the best way to “normalize” the weather for everyone is to get rid of all the sections except “normal” in each biome.  Of course, now you’ll never get fog or rain or storms.

I have not heard of another fix for this, so maybe my suggestion is not the best one.

also: the weather sections in the weather.xml file is not “all the settings” there are some glbal

weather settings you normally cannot get to in the xml.  The xml is to tweak the global weather 

19 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

The weather configs are in the “weather.xml” file in the “Config” folder in the games directory.

I think the settings you're talking about are in biomes.xml.

I don't grok the weather system completely, but for the purposes of @Sjustus548's issue the question for me is how granular, geographically speaking, are weather effects applied. Reading the description of weather effects in the comments at the top of the file, it sure seems like a whole biome ought to experience the same weather at the same time. But maybe it's the same granularity as "zombie spawn areas" (which are larger than chunks, but smaller than biomes)?

And but so if you and your wife are standing within sight of each other in the same contiguous biome, but one of you is in a rainstorm and the other not, that would definitely imply some finer-grained weather effects.

Broadly speaking, there are global weather values for precip, wind, temperature, etc. and then the biomes each have their own (RNG) weather which modifies the global and is subject to minimums and maximums i.e. maximum temperature in the Snow biome's "default" weather condition is 32, as shown below. So if global temperature is 62, the Snow biome will be 32; if global is 28, Snow biome would also be 28 (if it's in its default conditions) since that's within the min/max.

How often are these effects recalculated with new RNG results? Dunno.

Spoiler

<biome name="snow"        

<weather name="default" prob="44"> <!-- 44% chance for 'default' weather -->
            <Temperature min="26" max="32" prob="1"/>
            <CloudThickness min="10" max="30" prob="1"/>
            <Precipitation min="0" max="0" prob="1"/>
            <Fog min="0" max="2" prob="1"/>
            <Wind min="10" max="25" prob="1"/>
            <ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_snowstorm1" ChunkMargin="7"/> <!-- only one weather can have ParticleEffects -->
        </weather>
        <weather name="fog" prob="8"> <!-- 8% chance for foggy weather -->
            <Temperature min="20" max="30" prob="1"/>
            <CloudThickness min="35" max="60" prob="1"/>
            <Precipitation min="0" max="0" prob="1"/>
            <Fog min="7" max="18" prob="1"/>
            <Wind min="5" max="6" prob="1"/>
            <spectrum name="Snowy"/>
        </weather>
        <weather name="snow" prob="40"> <!-- 40% chance for snowy weather -->
            <Temperature min="18" max="28" prob="1"/>
            <CloudThickness min="55" max="75" prob="1"/>
            <Precipitation min="30" max="60" prob="1"/>
            <Fog min="1" max="5" prob="1"/>
            <Wind min="18" max="25" prob="1"/>
            <spectrum name="Snowy"/>
        </weather>
        <weather name="storm" prob="8"> <!-- 8% chance for snowy weather -->
            <Temperature min="12" max="18" prob="1"/>
            <CloudThickness min="90" max="100" prob="1"/>
            <Precipitation min="70" max="100" prob="1"/> <!-- Very high 'minimum' precipitation -->
            <Fog min="5" max="15" prob="1"/>
            <Wind min="45" max="50" prob="1"/>
            <spectrum name="Snowy"/>
        </weather>

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

2 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

arrgh! you're right. I wrote it while on my phone and I guess my brain glitched :)

No worries, it is not like you got A19 and A20 data files mixed up  😉

Seriously though, I wonder if you can mess with them so it is always snowing in the snow biome, always extremely hot in the desert biomes, and always raining in the other biomes.

If the zombies don't get cha, the miserable weather will  😁