Zombies should take some fall damage

enragedcamel

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Ray Garraty said:

Wiki says zombies fall damage is up to 50% HP. Is there a mistake?

key words are "up to" as many people read it as it does 50% but is not 100% true. it can fluctuate from 0-50 and i have seen more, there will be a randomness.

again the key words being stated are "up to" not to be taken as that number will always happen.

comparison on word play is same as paying for 500mg download speed and yet you only get 446m on tests.. you dont stand a chance in fighting it because of how the "up to" is used. :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

The last time I looked into this myself (which to be fair was A19), the cap was one third of their hit points, but the amount of damage short of that was an absolute number based on the distance. E.g. 30 points of damage for a given pit, which could be a smaller percentage for a tough zombie or a larger percentage for a common zombie so long as it didn't exceed 33.3...%. I made my pit just deep enough to do approximately the max damage for common zombies.

yeah its been a while testing that for me as well. (i just dont like number crunching).

so how about a20, just seems like 50% (per op wiki statement), seems high but i dont make the rules and i do not trust any wiki. :)

On 1/14/2022 at 4:05 PM, enragedcamel said:

I think it's a bit silly that zombies apparently take no fall damage. If they did, it would open up additional possibilities for base defense, such as cliff-side bases.

Thoughts?

there are lots of aspects in our game (any many other games) that can be called silly but its a game and not everyone sees the same thing.

No matter their fall damage, a player would not receive any XP from a zombie's death if it were caused merely by the zed falling and hitting the ground below. And during a horde night, the game would just spawn in another to take the place of the zed that had just met its demise from that last fall.

Survival without significant XP gain to the player is a thing (think land mines, spike traps, etc).

Depends on one's expectations: kill 'em without concern about gaining XP so as to progress in the game (it is fun to watch but serves minimal benefit), or configure something that will help one advance in the game. Player's choice, imho. 

10 hours ago, Melange said:

player would not receive any XP from a zombie's death if it were caused merely by the zed falling

Well the general idea of pitfall horde bases was not to kill zombies by fall, but to weaken them in order to save ammo for the finishing shot that gave you a full XP amount :)

In A16 it was my favourite way to deal with tough zombies, especially them hateful irradiated cops.

The weakest zombies like Arlene could fall for their death, I didn't care for them

5 hours ago, Ray Garraty said:

Well the general idea of pitfall horde bases was not to kill zombies by fall, but to weaken them in order to save ammo for the finishing shot that gave you a full XP amount :)

In A16 it was my favourite way to deal with tough zombies, especially them hateful irradiated cops.

The weakest zombies like Arlene could fall for their death, I didn't care for them

Yeah, in A19 I built a base like this. 10 block fall and then an electric fence. In theory I worked out for a non irradiated normal zombie, I should have been able to finish it off with just one bullet from my MP5. Always too hectic to actually measure for sure, but it felt a lot easier to takr them out. I do recall testing the fall damage in a debug mode, but don't recall the specifics except that I was satisfied it was working.

I think I read either in a patch note ot a reddit post that A20 made pit fall bases less effect, so all this is probably out of date. Maybe time for someone else to try it out on A20?

I like to punt zombies into a pit by using a ladder with a sledge next to it. But rather than rely on fall damage, I put blenders in the pit. Knocking a zombie into a blender is something that has absolutely NEVER gotten old for me.

Yeah I could call them 'blade traps' but then I couldn't put bulletproof glass around them and laugh maniacally whenever zombies fall in to their doom.

Edited by Khyron (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Khyron said:

Knocking a zombie into a blender is something that has absolutely NEVER gotten old for me.

ok that's it... there will be no enjoying the game. i will submit a feature request ticket asking for ALL zombies when knocked down to grab the closest attacking player and drag him/her down with it... :)

zombies be up top applauding as they see player(s) heading down to that blender setup. just wait boys... tender meat is on its way. :)

Spoiler

i'd pay a dollar to watch that.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)