Robotic drone disappeared and I can't deploy a new one

Kothre

Hi all- I'm playing on a server that I'm an admin of, thankfully. But even with the debug tools available, I can't seem to find a way to fix this issue. I can see my drone on my compass, but it simply isn't there. I can even noclip down to bedrock and it isn't at the bottom of the map either. Consequently, I can't deploy a new one because I'm hitting my deployed drone limit. Is there a way to remove this bugged drone? A bit of googling led me to try deleting the drones.dat file on the server and restart it, but that didn't work.

I also think my drone duplicated itself when I logged out, because there is a locked one on the floor of my base that I can't do anything with. I can't even use the Hammer of God to whack it to death. Is there any way to get rid of that one? Thanks in advance.

Suggestion but hopefully someone with more experience might chime in:

When there is an issue with electrical devices, sometimes the advice is to remove all electrical devices and store inside a container.  Then go into the game files and delete power.dat (or something like that, I am at work right now).

With the drones, they have their own data file (again, I see it in my log files but I can't get the exact name since I am at work) that saves that information separately from other data.  An idea I have is maybe if you delete that file, it will remove all drone instances in the world and then you can, as admin, give drones back.

Anyway, I am pinging 4 people I can think of top of my head that might have a better suggestion or to add onto mine.

@SylenThunder

@unholyjoe

@Star69

@Jugginator

Doesn't seem to have helped in a similar case. I assume the drone file just has some information about mods installed, but the most important data is directly stored in the player data.

Probably the player data tells the game there is a drone with id x, but there is no drone file with id x.  Which would mean you can't get rid of it without deleting the player itself

from what i just tested with 2 drones, one has cargo mod and other has healing mod. the one that is deployed has 2 items in the storage. the other doesnt because i have it in my inventory.

i did not save manually just quit game, deleted the drone.dat and the drone.dat.bak, go back into game.. one still intact in my inventory, the deployed drone is still deployed but its 2 items are now back in my inventory as it was supposed to be.

the drone.dat simply appears to contain info about its inventory only and not the mods nor their existence.

as meganoth pointed out, the locations of drones and turrets and such should be stored within the player data apparently.

@BFT2020 as for chiming in on the suggestions, i cant give you any remarks about them as  (this DOES NOT reflect on any players), i do not use the robotics and vehicles.. i will test them to a point but far more people/testers more into them then i am so my opinion on them would be meaningless. sorry. :) but i do feel we need to find reason for the bugs and fix the real issue as opposed to just deleting the drones/turrets when bugged.

i also see we have an internal ticket for making a dev tool for deleting bugged drones.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

19 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

@BFT2020 as for chiming in on the suggestions, i cant give you any remarks about them as  (this DOES NOT reflect on any players), i do not use the robotics and vehicles.. i will test them to a point but far more people/testers more into them then i am so my opinion on them would be meaningless. sorry. :) but i do feel we need to find reason for the bugs and fix the real issue as opposed to just deleting the drones/turrets when bugged.

i also see we have an internal ticket for making a dev tool for deleting bugged drones.

Agreed on finding the solution to the bug in the first place, my hope was a temporary workaround for the bug that we are seeing in game until the developers can hotfix the bug itself.  I was hoping that the correct information was in the drones file rather than the player file to make it less of an impact on a player.  I recently had my player file corrupted (not reported as a bug as I was testing my mod and I think I caused the issue in the first place) so having to restore level, perks, and books / schematics I already attained was not fun (and I was only level 5 or 6 at that time).

My drone doesn't even show on my compass, but I can not place a new one as I have her deployed.  Playing on a server where I don't have access to the server files and console.  I do have access to the console (F1), but I don't see any player data that would suggest where my drone is located.  Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, BellaBug said:

My drone doesn't even show on my compass, but I can not place a new one as I have her deployed.  Playing on a server where I don't have access to the server files and console.  I do have access to the console (F1), but I don't see any player data that would suggest where my drone is located.  Any suggestions?

Have the server admin do it or ask if you can replace your character with a new one. The only problem is that you lose your map, you'll have to explore again. 

From what I have seen about my issue was that my drone wasn't locked and someone else locked it and now I can't drop a drone because it thinks my drone is still with me even after unlocking and locking my drone after they unlocked it. I think it is an issue with overlapping save files at this point. Everything you drop should be locked not unlocked. I thought it was locked. Time to make a new character...

• 1 year later...

After having this issue when A21 first came out, I have since stopped using drones and told users on my server to not deploy them. I really hope there is a fix for this. In my case it didn't only disappear, but my FPS dropped to 5fps and my minibike drove 10x as fast and then exploded when hitting a tree.  Totally messed my save up. I hope this bug has been added to the official list. 

Edited by Rabbitslovecactus (see edit history)