Why can't picks unlock doors?

GlyphGryph

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I can't find it, and I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me why picks can't unlock doors? It seems like a bit of a worthless skill tree considering locked boxes usually contain @%$#tier loot than the nearby regular boxes (additional question: Why on earth is that?), but if you could actually use it on doors too it would be much nicer. As is, people usually bash in alternate routes (or quick exits) for many POIs anyway, so I can't understand why door locks are some kind of exception.

Simply put, TFP are focused on implementing their plan of dungeon crawl POIs. The locked doors are not meant to be opened. The picks are intended to open the loot boxes only.

Does it make any logical sense? Not really, locks are locks..

Does it make any gameplay sense? Not really, a decent pickaxe is faster and cheaper on the standard door than the lock pick would be anyway. Vault doors might be the opposite, but even then the door is pretty easy to break and the wall right next to it is often easier..

Will it make sense in the future... maaaybe? :)

Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it. For the most part though, as stated they are dungeon crawls, most of the locked doors are either just shortcuts or minor rooms like small bathrooms/bedrooms that don't have much in the way of loot, and they are low health doors. There is little need to go through most high HP doors, especially since they added the doors that operate off a switch, which is a really nice touch.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:44 AM, theFlu said:

Simply put, TFP are focused on implementing their plan of dungeon crawl POIs. The locked doors are not meant to be opened. The picks are intended to open the loot boxes only.

Yeah, TFP would rather you just build a few frames up the side of a building and stone axe your way through a window to get to the big loot.

I thought at one time, maybe around A16 or A17, pickable doors was once gonna be a thing but they scrapped the idea along with zip lines & the behemoth. 

Like @Krougal said, maybe that was replaced with the current key/switch mechanic which we just got with A20, which I agree was a nice touch. 

1 hour ago, ChickenWings said:

The picks do work on those metal gun safes that are like 2500 to hit through now.  By now I just learned so have no idea if they worked in 19 🙂

They did. Also on the reinforced chests and other locked boxes in loot rooms starting from t2+ and those @%$#ers have tons of HP, I hate running out of picks.

On 12/24/2021 at 4:31 PM, Krougal said:

They did. Also on the reinforced chests and other locked boxes in loot rooms starting from t2+ and those @%$#ers have tons of HP, I hate running out of picks.

Yeah I used them on the chests before and lock boxes, but just learned about the gun safes.  I feel your pain on running out of picks though

Lockpicking needs a rework in general, getting 14s with one pick then 14 picks on the last .2s is ... infuriating.

the lockpicking skill tree is just a QoL timesaver for players who would rather spec into useless perks than tool perks.

Each pick should minimum reduce the overall timer by 1s so that you are guaranteed after 16 picks but on average 8 for people who havent specced into it.

Picks do need more general use tbh, opening doors should be fine, maybe if certain doors operated more like safes where you can bash your way in or lockpick? i think having some poi rooms with locked doors is fine, but distinguish them from doors that arent meant to be opened by calling those doors 'jammed' with boards across them and the other ones merely 'locked'.

honestly they should just combine lockpicking into one of the other niche perks like treasure hunter or even lucky looter. They all kind of do the same thing in different ways (lowering time taken for very niche loot) and they all kind of feel bad to invest in. At least combine lockpicking with treasure hunter, they are both niche skills that only save time in rare cases as early game you cant craft lockpicks. mid game you can craft iron tools that are generally very useful as opposed to lockpicks that only might succeed even with perks, and late game you just punch safes apart with little effort.

Basically combine treasure hunter and lockpicking.